Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page ROM Hacking Discussions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old February 17th, 2010 (07:57 PM).
Learning how to make mistakes

Quote originally posted by →goon:
[FONT="Tahoma"]
Yeah, it would create the same effect. But you can also look at the new pokémon as fakemon with the limited knowledge we have. They both produce the same effect in a hack as of now anyway. I'm just saying that it isn't a terrible idea to use them now. I mean if they start to get over used, then maybe I would change my mind. But as of now, they could be fun to use in game.
You've persuaded me to agree with you, however I think they will be over used, I think about 3 hacks are using them atm, and it's getting even more popular too.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 17th, 2010 (09:02 PM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
I disagree, I have found that Fakemon are generally looked down upon, and seem to have their own little community where they can all love their fakemon.

The reasons behind my findings? Simple, Fakemon are different from OFFICIAL pokemon, over time, a lot of "Official Pokemon" that turned out to be fakes (Anyone remember that Shaymin Sky Form Incident?) and it makes people angry, so most of the time, people see fakemon made for fun, and remember the pain (Yes, I use pain cause some you'd have to be a devoted fan like I am to be so disappointed in the fakes) that were "Supposedly" real. Now, I have no problem with Fakemon in hacks, it gives thing a nice bit of variety. And with Fakemon, you have a LOT of creative control, so I dont think it will get old.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old February 17th, 2010 (09:53 PM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
It's going to be incredibly dated as soon as the actual Pokemon's stats and such come out. I really don't think it's a good idea.
Old February 18th, 2010 (01:44 AM).
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by →goon:
Yeah, it would create the same effect. But you can also look at the new pokémon as fakemon with the limited knowledge we have. They both produce the same effect in a hack as of now anyway.
You pose a good point, but flawed ones. Why use Nintendo's ideas, designs, etc. when you could make your own, and not be "flamed" (I put that in quote marks because it isn't literal flaming, ore telling-off) once generation five, along with Zoroark's family's other info, is revealed for doing it 'wrong', which is inevitable.

It's true, 0m3Ga, that people seem to look down on fakémon and shun hacks with them, but if hackers weren't so notorius for producing; in general; terrible fakémon created in three seconds in Paint, I see no reason why people shouldn't form a stereotype of hackers and bad fakémon. In any case, most hacks with good fakémon, i.e. Sienna, Torzach, have got a lot of public support, and, in both of those hacks' case, won an award of some sort (Hack of the Month for the former, Hack of the Week for the latter), proving that it isn't so bad to have fakémon, as long as they are quality, and are beleivable.

I may not be an expert spriter, or expert hacker, and I'm probably going off-track now, but I've discovered that if you try equally as hard on your maps or scripts or whatever on your sprites, and don't give up (as Chibi Robo can tell you), you'll eventually get some good sprites. In my opinion, a good hack is a balanced hack, so it wiill have good sprites, scripts, maps and any other things (i.e music, tiles), because otherwise, it will just be script-heavy, or map-heavy, or sprite-heavy, or whatever.

And anyway, like I said before, if you really can't sprite/accept critisism for your sprites/are too lazy to do some work, then hire a spriter.

I honestly can't see downsides of having good fakémon, especially when they're mixed in, effectively, with canon Pokémon. That is, canon Pokémon that we know all details about (i.e. not Zoroa/Zoroark).

So, I guess, new topic: why do you think fakémon are shunned upon so much, good or bad?

[/ramble]
Old February 18th, 2010 (02:28 AM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Well, like I said, fake pokemon are looked down upon for 2 reasons manly...
Either A: Made terribly, MSPaint lawls
or B: As I said before, when most people think of Fakemon, or see a Fakemon, they remember the HUNDREDS of times that they have been faked in place of "Upcoming Canon Pokemon" and when tehy find out it isn't, they are dissapointed, and begin to look down on fakemon in general, not only the ones posed as canon.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old February 18th, 2010 (02:43 AM).
peace and serenity

Nature: Quirky
I think Fakemon is shunned upon because...
  • Most of their designs are horribly made.
  • It doesn't gain enough exposure.

Like when Bonsly was first released, I was like "OMFG EW WTH IS THAT".
    A few months later, all the official stuffs came up, and I started liking it.

• They are only found on one single game; you can't trade them to other games.
  • There is absolutely too much Fakemon to make them memorable.

Old February 18th, 2010 (02:48 AM).

There's nothing wrong with well-made Fakemon, and I mean well made.

If you're going to insert and mix Fakemon with Nintendo Pokemon, make the Fakemon Nintendo style. If not, there's slightly more leniency, as you can sort of develop a style in terms of palette and stuff.

There are games where, even if everything is a fakemon, it just looks downright horrible (uh, am I looking at you, Baro?).

Other times, Fakemon look awesome (Chaos Black has always stuck in my head as a game with great Fakemon, even though I played about one route).
Old February 18th, 2010 (04:08 AM).
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
I say it's better to have Fakemon than D/P Pokemon.
Old February 18th, 2010 (05:07 AM).
Im comin' home...
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by H2O Turquoise:
I say it's better to have Fakemon than D/P Pokemon.
^this
I almost wanna take that statement and rub on myself as I lye naked in a tub of excellence.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old February 25th, 2010 (09:27 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by NiKaNoRoU:
I said that because they were prolly copying your name.

But since we're talking about cheapness here, we might as well not limit ourselves onto this incident.
May I present to you, the fable circle of cheapness, in a three-person network:
  1. Person A creates something original, that becomes popular and/or successful.
  2. Person B, who longs for success, but lacks time/appetite, creates something else, which might be similar to A's creation, or even almost identical, but is still presented as B's work.
  3. The closer B's work is identical to A's work, the bigger the fuss that is created. A conflict begins with mental rights as subject.
  4. The preponderating person wins (it's usually A), and the other person retreats.
  5. A new person (C) creates something new, or original.
  6. The losing player (A or B) will try to copy them in order to regain the success.
  7. The fable circle goes on like this.
At least, that happens in real life. In rom hacking, I suppose it's limited to concept stealing, etc. But sadly, it's more open and less strict in here...
I know, I know. But for that matter, true originality doesn't exists. We're always inspired from something, and we get ideas here and there throughtout our lives. Considering there are millions people, it's not that unusual that two people might share a common idea. But that's also where creativity starts.

Quote originally posted by Matteron (96):
@Hackmew:
That's just how to human mind works, they see something great and want to be just like that.
Well, my point wasn't being a discussion about human minds, to the say the truth.

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
In Pokemon Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen, they fixed that problem. That's why the patch is in there. To correct the problem. So, if it doesn't say that, it is still legit. I have Emerald myself, and I applied the patch to my Ruby Version. (After playing nearly 400 hours, I can still do time-based events. That's what the patch is for. When the battery dies, time-based events stop working. But the patch fixes that.

Uhm, sorry but they didn't fix anything in FR/LG since they have no clock in first place.
And another thing: the patch is meant to fix a berry glitch; as such it cannot "fix" a dead battery. The only way is to replace it.

Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
As you can see, it's not really a matter of stealing as it is forgetting who it was who started everything up in the beginning.
That summarized your post, mostly. Well, like I said earlier, I know things works like that. Yet, I guess people should at least take a minute or two and brainstorm a little, when choosing a name. Wouldn't it be better? On a side note, one old team got renamed: now it's called Hacking Architects.

On the Berry Glitch: I've got some more info, and I'm basically ready to make the article. Stay tuned!
Old February 26th, 2010 (05:36 PM).
Banned

Can anyone help me out I downloaded a rom hack called pokemon emerald tg but so far it does not look like a hack has anyone downloaded that has the same rom?
Old February 26th, 2010 (05:41 PM). Edited February 26th, 2010 by Team Fail.
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Batmanace00:
Can anyone help me out I downloaded a rom hack called pokemon emerald tg but so far it does not look like a hack has anyone downloaded that has the same rom?
Are you sure you patched it? Try talking to people. If the girl in oldale town that gives you the potion looks like the big fat yellow dude, it works. If not, try getting the patch and use Lunar IPS to patch it. (LIPS for short) I looked on YouTube and I see what this hack is.

Quote originally posted by HackMew:
On the Berry Glitch: I've got some more info, and I'm basically ready to make the article. Stay tuned!
I'm Waiting to see what you have in store! Phew... Avoided a double-post. Copy/Paste FTW!

Also... on the Berry Glitch... What happens if the patch isn't applied? I patched mine, so I'll never know. I think it's that berries won't grow after the battery dies, but I may be wrong. I also thought it fixed time-based events... I think I'm wrong, though.

| | | |
PM | VM
Platinum Supporter

Old February 26th, 2010 (05:48 PM).
Banned

Are you sure you patched it? Try talking to people. If the girl in oldale town that gives you the potion looks like the big fat yellow dude, it works. If not, try getting the patch and use Lunar IPS to patch it. (LIPS for short) I looked on YouTube and I see what this hack is.

I'm Waiting to see what you have in store! Phew... Avoided a double-post. Copy/Paste FTW!
it is not a ips it is a gba rom
Old February 26th, 2010 (05:52 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

it is not a ips it is a gba rom
If it's the rom, than you only downloaded emerald. I may be wrong, though. How far have you gotten to?

| | | |
PM | VM
Platinum Supporter

Old February 26th, 2010 (05:52 PM).

Then it should have worked.
Old February 26th, 2010 (05:55 PM).
Banned

I have only got it today and i got the pokeballs and pokedex that is as far as i have gotten team fail.
Old February 26th, 2010 (06:04 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

I have only got it today and i got the pokeballs and pokedex that is as far as i have gotten team fail.
Well, when you get to Oldale Town, go to the mart. If the person standing beside the mart is a big fat yellow dude, than you do have the hack.

| | | |
PM | VM
Platinum Supporter

Old February 26th, 2010 (06:08 PM).
Banned

He is still the same guy. And it said on google that it is pokemon tg version.
Old February 26th, 2010 (06:11 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

He is still the same guy. And it said on google that it is pokemon tg version.
Well, I saw a vid on YouTube. You do have the hack. But remember: Not all hacks are a complete overhaul of the game itself. Sometimes, it can be added scripts (Emerald TG) or wild Pokemon added (Emerald 386).

| | | |
PM | VM
Platinum Supporter

Old February 26th, 2010 (06:45 PM).
Old-timer

Quote originally posted by Halcyon:
I think Fakemon is shunned upon because...
  • Most of their designs are horribly made.
  • It doesn't gain enough exposure.

Like when Bonsly was first released, I was like "OMFG EW WTH IS THAT".
    A few months later, all the official stuffs came up, and I started liking it.

• They are only found on one single game; you can't trade them to other games.
  • There is absolutely too much Fakemon to make them memorable.
You're just a tad ignorant, huh? Point one: THIS IS TOTAL BIASED ********. Saying most Fakemon look like hell would be like me saying all gen IV Pokemon are ugly.
Point Two: Who gives a rat's ass about how much exposure they gain?
Point Three: This is true, however, how many people actually trade Pokemon from hacks to other games, on an emulator?
Point Four: Biased ******** yet again.

If the Fakemon are good, WHAT DA HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM?
Old February 26th, 2010 (06:57 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by TB Pro:
If the Fakemon are good, WHAT DA HELL IS WRONG WITH THEM?
There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with them but that doesn't mean that people can't dislike them. Similarly, even if a hack has very well-done, custom tiles, I (hypothetically) may not play it simply because I might not like custom tiles, regardless of their quality. Some people, myself included, prefer the comfort of the familiar.

Brother of Vrai
Old February 26th, 2010 (07:43 PM). Edited February 26th, 2010 by Team Fail.
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Ok. I saw the oddest thing today:

I was on Bulbpedia looking at HackMew's link to the FR/LG Pokedex Glitch. Interested, I kept reading. I soon found this out:
If you have a bad dump of either game, when you use the ship to Birth Island or Navel Rock (either of the tickets), you'll get this:
Spoiler:
By the way, if you like this game, buy it or die!

How is this pulled up? Is there a screenshot? Where is this located in the game? What version of the game is it in? I would really like to know! Thanks!

| | | |
PM | VM
Platinum Supporter

Old February 26th, 2010 (07:52 PM).
Old-timer

Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
There may be nothing intrinsically wrong with them but that doesn't mean that people can't dislike them. Similarly, even if a hack has very well-done, custom tiles, I (hypothetically) may not play it simply because I might not like custom tiles, regardless of their quality. Some people, myself included, prefer the comfort of the familiar.
Alright, you got me there. I can understand where you're coming from.
Old March 1st, 2010 (08:16 AM). Edited March 1st, 2010 by HackMew.
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Also... on the Berry Glitch... What happens if the patch isn't applied? I patched mine, so I'll never know. I think it's that berries won't grow after the battery dies, but I may be wrong. I also thought it fixed time-based events... I think I'm wrong, though.
Damn, damn, damn! It looks like I got carried away by my own excitement. I'm sorry =/
The reason is that I said the ROM would be patched. However, a Read-Only Memory cannot be modified, obviously. The said bytes, however, are actually a fix to the glitch. I did a bit of research and, as expected, those bytes are part of a routine used to calculate the elapsed days. Like I said earlier, later ROM releases and Emerald share the same patterns. So, what does the patch changes exactly? I'm not totally sure yet, but I have a theory. At the moment I cannot test whether is right or not; I'll let you know as soon as possible (if you got a flash cart, and way to link two games, one being R/S and the other being FR/LG/E, or any other way to apply the fix, let me know).

As far as I know, the patch cannot be applied till the glitch actually occurred. Don't forget the glitch isn't due to the battery running dry as this would prevent the clock from ever running again. Once the battery run dry, the only solution is to replace it, as you cannot recharge it.

Ok. I saw the oddest thing today:

I was on Bulbpedia looking at HackMew's link to the FR/LG Pokedex Glitch. Interested, I kept reading. I soon found this out:
If you have a bad dump of either game, when you use the ship to Birth Island or Navel Rock (either of the tickets), you'll get this:
Spoiler:
By the way, if you like this game, buy it or die!

How is this pulled up? Is there a screenshot? Where is this located in the game? What version of the game is it in? I would really like to know! Thanks!
You can read more about it on the article's discussion page.
Old March 1st, 2010 (03:08 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by HackMew:
Damn, damn, damn! It looks like I got carried away by my own excitement. I'm sorry =/
The reason is that I said the ROM would be patched. However, a Read-Only Memory cannot be modified, obviously. The said bytes, however, are actually a fix to the glitch. I did a bit of research and, as expected, those bytes are part of a routine used to calculate the elapsed days. Like I said earlier, later ROM releases and Emerald share the same patterns. So, what does the patch changes exactly? I'm not totally sure yet, but I have a theory. At the moment I cannot test whether is right or not; I'll let you know as soon as possible (if you got a flash cart, and way to link two games, one being R/S and the other being FR/LG/E, or any other way to apply the fix, let me know).

As far as I know, the patch cannot be applied till the glitch actually occurred. Don't forget the glitch isn't due to the battery running dry as this would prevent the clock from ever running again. Once the battery run dry, the only solution is to replace it, as you cannot recharge it.
Well, I came up with a (possibly working) plan. What I'd do is take a R/S rom and use VBAlink and link it to FR/LG/E. Than, after applying the patch, compare the original rom and the patched rom in a hex editor. I seriously wish I had a flash card... And for subbing the dead battery: change the save type (Remember... If its the wrong save type, the rom will tell you that clock-based events won't occur). That's my take on the concept. I wouldn't know unless I had the time to test it.

| | | |
PM | VM
Platinum Supporter

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links