Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [Discussion] ROM Hacking Discussions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2010 (03:28 PM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Well, I came up with a (possibly working) plan. What I'd do is take a R/S rom and use VBAlink and link it to FR/LG/E. Than, after applying the patch, compare the original rom and the patched rom in a hex editor. I seriously wish I had a flash card... And for subbing the dead battery: change the save type (Remember... If its the wrong save type, the rom will tell you that clock-based events won't occur). That's my take on the concept. I wouldn't know unless I had the time to test it.
I have a flash card, but I cannot link nor I have any way to fix the glitch. VBA Link was suggested already a while ago: won't work. And even if it did, the ROM would not be changed. Also, the save type has nothing to do with the "battery run dry". That happens only when the battery is dead on the original carts, or if the RTC is not enabled on VBA.
Old March 2nd, 2010 (07:47 AM).
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
My brother has a GBA flash cart, I have a DS slot 1 one, and I own a copy of Emerald. We only have one GBA, but I could borrow a friend's if needed (or even buy a second-hand one). Is there anything I can help with? :P
Old March 2nd, 2010 (08:56 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Wichu:
My brother has a GBA flash cart, I have a DS slot 1 one, and I own a copy of Emerald. We only have one GBA, but I could borrow a friend's if needed (or even buy a second-hand one). Is there anything I can help with? :P
Assuming you got a second GBA, do you have a link cable? Also, about the GBA flash cart... what's the model?
Old March 6th, 2010 (05:14 AM). Edited March 6th, 2010 by Wichu.
Project Amethyst

Yeah, we have a link cable. The flash cart is a Super Card SD.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think I'd be able to help... I can't remember whether it allows you to cancel the game booting, in order to allow you to use the glitch fix, but I doubt it.

The fix affects the save file, right? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change the ROM itself. If so, would it be possible to extract the save of a GBA cart with the fix applied, and compare it to a save from a ROM (or if necessary, the same cart pre-fix)? Does starting a new game erase the fix (probably not)?
Old March 6th, 2010 (07:07 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Yeah, we have a link cable. The flash cart is a Super Card SD.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think I'd be able to help... I can't remember whether it allows you to cancel the game booting, in order to allow you to use the glitch fix, but I doubt it.

The fix affects the save file, right? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change the ROM itself. If so, would it be possible to extract the save of a GBA cart with the fix applied, and compare it to a save from a ROM (or if necessary, the same cart pre-fix)? Does starting a new game erase the fix (probably not)?
AFAIK, you cannot avoid the Super Card SD boot loader, which sucks. I'm pretty sure the save file is affected. I don't see what else could be affected, otherwhise. The best thing would be having a cart suffering from the glitch, dumping the save somehow, apply the fix, and then compare before vs. after. The glitch will only activate once and only once. Fixing it will not bring it back.
Old March 7th, 2010 (05:57 AM).
Project Amethyst

There must be a device to write/read GBA game saves... If you write a blank save file to a cart, that effectively cancels the fix, right? Then, you could start a new game and save. Extract the save, download the fix, and extract it again.

The problem is, I don't have access to anything like that (I don't even know whether such a device exists, though I'd assume so). Unless there's a DS homebrew app that can do it?
Old March 7th, 2010 (06:15 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

There must be a device to write/read GBA game saves... If you write a blank save file to a cart, that effectively cancels the fix, right? Then, you could start a new game and save. Extract the save, download the fix, and extract it again.

The problem is, I don't have access to anything like that (I don't even know whether such a device exists, though I'd assume so). Unless there's a DS homebrew app that can do it?
Like I said, there's no way to unapply the fix. Once it's fixed, it's fixed forever.
Old March 7th, 2010 (06:22 AM).
Project Amethyst

Doesn't that contradict the possibility that the fix modifies the save?
Old March 7th, 2010 (06:51 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Doesn't that contradict the possibility that the fix modifies the save?
Well, not really. Let's say you had the glitch, and it got fixed. If you start over, the glitch won't happen again. BTW... you don't need anything special to erase the save.
Pressing Select + Up + B at the title screen will do.
Old March 7th, 2010 (06:55 AM).
Project Amethyst

I'm pretty sure that Up+B+Select only erases the parts of the save used for the in-game player (and items, badges, Mystery Gifts etc); there's probably data in the save that doesn't get erased when a new game is started, which is used by the fix.
Old March 7th, 2010 (07:03 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

I'm pretty sure that Up+B+Select only erases the parts of the save used for the in-game player (and items, badges, Mystery Gifts etc); there's probably data in the save that doesn't get erased when a new game is started, which is used by the fix.
However, the rocket launches do restart if you start a new game. The glitch affects the game's day counter and timer, which are reset when you start over.
Old March 15th, 2010 (05:29 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by HackMew:
However, the rocket launches do restart if you start a new game. The glitch affects the game's day counter and timer, which are reset when you start over.
...And that counter will go on forever. I got Sapphire from someone I know, and the rocket launches were at 9999!

"On my business card, I am a corporate president.
In my mind, I am a game developer.
But in my heart, I am a gamer."

- Satoru Iwata, 1959 - 2015
Old March 16th, 2010 (05:24 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

...And that counter will go on forever. I got Sapphire from someone I know, and the rocket launches were at 9999!
Normally you can never reach such high number. Unless you play for more than 89 years (and assuming the battery didn't run dry in the meanwhile). So it's safe to say the Sapphire you got was glitched. But I think you fixed it, so it's not that useful I guess.
Old March 16th, 2010 (04:03 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

And speaking of glitches, here's one:

In Ruby and Sapphire, if you haven't battled Aroma Lady Rose east of Mauville City, and you run on top of the ridge, she'll see you and walk over the ridge. There are 2 simple fixes: Remove the ridge or change what the sprite's action is.

Also, 2 questions, in spoilers.
Spoiler:
Does anyone know of a complete tileset of D/P/Pt/HG/SS graphics, indoors and out? Also, is there a voicegroup tool? That would be nice.

Old March 16th, 2010 (08:47 PM). Edited March 16th, 2010 by Vrai.
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Does anyone know of a complete tileset of D/P/Pt/HG/SS graphics, indoors and out? Also, is there a voicegroup tool? That would be nice.
There's probably not a complete tileset but there's bits and pieces all over the place. Look in Pixel Art, Spriter's Resource, or google it. There's probably even stuff in Game Dev (remember, they use this stuff too).

As far as voicegroups, there is no tool for them. AmineX has a tutorial for changing them, and Hiroshi Sotomura used to have one here and I'm sure he still probably has it somewhere but I'm too lazy to look through the thread and/or ask him for it.

EDIT:... you know, I dunno if that thread from Hiroshi was what I thought I was looking for. I'll go dig some more and I'll see if I find what I think I'm looking for. XD

EDIT2: I found what I meant to find in the first place. Hiroshi has this tutorial for doing some stuff with voicegroups. :D
Old March 18th, 2010 (03:06 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Vrai:
There's probably not a complete tileset but there's bits and pieces all over the place. Look in Pixel Art, Spriter's Resource, or google it. There's probably even stuff in Game Dev (remember, they use this stuff too).

As far as voicegroups, there is no tool for them. AmineX has a tutorial for changing them, and Hiroshi Sotomura used to have one here and I'm sure he still probably has it somewhere but I'm too lazy to look through the thread and/or ask him for it.

EDIT:... you know, I dunno if that thread from Hiroshi was what I thought I was looking for. I'll go dig some more and I'll see if I find what I think I'm looking for. XD

EDIT2: I found what I meant to find in the first place. Hiroshi has this tutorial for doing some stuff with voicegroups. :D
Thanks I still don't understand voicegroups. Maybe I'll ask someone to help.

Also, what's everyone's point of view for using C++ to make tools? I have a corse at my High School and I'm wondering if I should try it.

Old April 7th, 2010 (08:40 AM).
Working on a tool.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via ICQ to Giga Universe Send a message via AIM to Giga Universe Send a message via Yahoo to Giga Universe Send a message via Skype™ to Giga Universe
C++ is cool, I use it. C++ is more flexible and portable though, so if you want you tools compatible with every OS system it is a good choice.

Change of subject. Is anyone familiar with the ARM instruction set? Is there any point in learning it?
Old April 10th, 2010 (03:10 AM).
Mewtwo Strikes Back
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Giga Universe:
Change of subject. Is anyone familiar with the ARM instruction set? Is there any point in learning it?
Of course there's a point. The (ARM) THUMB instruction set is widely used in all GBA games. Either way, it's just a programming language, and it's used in other devices as well. The iPhone has an ARM core too. Keep in mind it's a low-level programming language, while C++ is a high-level one. The latter is mostly used if you truly need to optimize something, or if you have to write something not too complex. Or if you have to reverse engine something. Otherwhise you would mostly go with high-level languages which would be automatically assembled into the proper low-level languages. This is meant to a brief explanation and nothing else :)
Old April 10th, 2010 (08:23 AM).
Working on a tool.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via ICQ to Giga Universe Send a message via AIM to Giga Universe Send a message via Yahoo to Giga Universe Send a message via Skype™ to Giga Universe
I meant what are the advantages of ARM mode over THUMB mode pertaining to the Pokémon games. I already know THUMB, and I want to know if I should learn ARM mode sooner rather than later. I know ARM has conditional execution for every instruction, but it is twice as slow as THUMB. I don't know the other disadvantages/advantages though. I realise that the ARM7TDMI is a common choice for portable devices, and that is is useful to learn for other means, but I want to know how practical its use is specifically for Pokémon.
Old April 10th, 2010 (10:51 AM).
Pierce the heavens
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
I know This should be a simple question, but I never get any replies in that thread. My question is how does one make a rom hacking tool? I know quite a bit with Visual Basic. Also what programing tool do you use? (probably c++ isn't it) I have been interested in making a rom hacking tool for awhile now and would really would like to know how.
Old April 10th, 2010 (10:56 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote originally posted by Aljam:
I know This should be a simple question, but I never get any replies in that thread. My question is how does one make a rom hacking tool? I know quite a bit with Visual Basic. Also what programing tool do you use? (probably c++ isn't it) I have been interested in making a rom hacking tool for awhile now and would really would like to know how.
^ Same. It would be awesome to be able to create my own tools; it'd provide me the chance to learn tons of information about the games (and because I am a naturally lazy person, I really don't feel pressured to do so).
Old April 10th, 2010 (11:34 AM).
え?

There are a few tutorials in the Tutorial and Documents section. If you want to get started then I would advice you to see Dartharon's tutorial. It's a simple tutorial based on Visual Basic. I'm sure it'll help all those who want to get into programming.
Old April 11th, 2010 (10:21 PM).
Working on a Mobile System

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
Quote originally posted by Giga Universe:
I meant what are the advantages of ARM mode over THUMB mode pertaining to the Pokémon games. I already know THUMB, and I want to know if I should learn ARM mode sooner rather than later. I know ARM has conditional execution for every instruction, but it is twice as slow as THUMB. I don't know the other disadvantages/advantages though. I realise that the ARM7TDMI is a common choice for portable devices, and that is is useful to learn for other means, but I want to know how practical its use is specifically for Pokémon.
Nah, I don't think it's practical unless you wanna write your routines and place them in the IRAM to overcome the speed issues but nearly all routines in Pokémon are THUMB. The ARM instruction set are only used where necessary.
Old April 12th, 2010 (09:15 AM).

Hello guys, sorry for bumping in, but i didnt want to make a topic over what i think is an overrated hack :
Moemon Fire Red,

Thing is i want to play the Hard mode version of it, but i guess it will never will be ported to an english fire red rom , so i was thinking of going into the task of shamelessly rip the game hacked sprites and trainer's pokes (they have different move sets and hold items in this "hard version") and put them on a fire red rom,and only one thing is stopping me from doing that:
I SUCK AT HAXXING ,
I 've learned a few things over the time but only really basic stuff like advance mapping and using A-Trainer,Etc

So after all that long prayer , i just wanted to ask for some good tutorials on handling palettes and changing the main player sprites , also the trainer's because they have some nice ones like FAT MARIO, or LUCKY STAR KONATA , OLD RED, etc

Examples of my noobness:
whenever i try to change a poke with unlz gba it comes up with a different palette than the one i gave it,
Another trouble i have is that when i try to import the FR Jap main player sprite into a FR english rom with OverWrldEditor RE, it tells me the pallete slot it uses is not available (1) and i can only choose from (0,3,4,6,etc)

well hope someone understands what i mean and thanks in advance guys
Old April 12th, 2010 (07:29 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by GAko:
Hello guys, sorry for bumping in, but i didnt want to make a topic over what i think is an overrated hack :
Moemon Fire Red,

Thing is i want to play the Hard mode version of it, but i guess it will never will be ported to an english fire red rom , so i was thinking of going into the task of shamelessly rip the game hacked sprites and trainer's pokes (they have different move sets and hold items in this "hard version") and put them on a fire red rom,and only one thing is stopping me from doing that:
I SUCK AT HAXXING ,
I 've learned a few things over the time but only really basic stuff like advance mapping and using A-Trainer,Etc

So after all that long prayer , i just wanted to ask for some good tutorials on handling palettes and changing the main player sprites , also the trainer's because they have some nice ones like FAT MARIO, or LUCKY STAR KONATA , OLD RED, etc

Examples of my noobness:
whenever i try to change a poke with unlz gba it comes up with a different palette than the one i gave it,
Another trouble i have is that when i try to import the FR Jap main player sprite into a FR english rom with OverWrldEditor RE, it tells me the pallete slot it uses is not available (1) and i can only choose from (0,3,4,6,etc)

well hope someone understands what i mean and thanks in advance guys
Well, for starters, I think I understand where you're coming from. But, my best guess is that it is in a foreign language, right? You can just translate it with either a hex editor or use a Text editor. But, you shouldn't have to rip everything and reinsert it...

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)