Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Discussion ROM Hacking Discussions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old August 15th, 2010 (04:03 AM).

Nature: Lax
My top hacks would be:

Pokemon Prism
Pokemon Prism
Pokemon Prism
Old August 15th, 2010 (03:42 PM).
Kicking against the earth!
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Pokemon the tempest
pokemon ruby destiny reign of legends
----------
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/countryemo/frlgtorbg.png?t=1281909459
Heres a tile project i was doing, well the path i copied, but i should devamp paths to.
anyone else think this is a cool idea for a rom base? You get all the great feeling
of the past in well you get the point. Helpers? lol.
/sorry if cant be disscused/
Also do a devamp using gsc colors? prolbally wont be the same but eh just a extra idea
Old August 27th, 2010 (10:29 PM). Edited August 28th, 2010 by Chaos Rush.
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
I'm just wondering, but why does everybody think that the graphics of R/S/E are really bad? IMO, they look just fine.

I'm asking because:
*A lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics
*There's a lot of R/S/E hacks that change the OWs to FR/LG ones (I'm guilty of that lol)
*There is not a single FR/LG hack that changes the OWs to R/S/E ones, even though the opposite occurs pretty often

IMO, R/S/E has more realistic graphics. In FR/LG, everything looks cartoony, while in R/S/E, everything seemed more "serious".
Old August 27th, 2010 (10:40 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
I'm just wondering, but why does everybody think that the graphics of R/S/E are really bad? IMO, they look just fine.

I'm asking because:
*A lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics
*There's a lot of R/S/E hacks that change the OWs to FR/LG ones (I'm guilty of that lol)

IMO, R/S/E has more realistic graphics. In FR/LG, everything looks cartoony, while in R/S/E, everything seemed more "serious".
Depends on what you mean by "graphics". I like a lot of the tiles, like the houses and the paths. However, I can't stand the trees in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As for sprites, I think that you already mentioned the issue. FR/LG sprites look more cartoony and thus are more appealing. I personally think that they're softer on the eyes and more enjoyable to look at.

Also, in response to "a lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics", I'll give you my typical response: the graphics can be hacked adequately and equally in both FR/LG and R/S/E. You could hack one to look virtually identical to the other. However, if one is closer to the hacker's desired style, then they're more likely to choose that one since it would require less work. And seeing how FR/LG are more generally appealing (to me, at least), more people are going to hack those games. It's just easier and to a lot of "hackers," that's what matters most.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 28th, 2010 (09:21 AM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
Depends on what you mean by "graphics". I like a lot of the tiles, like the houses and the paths. However, I can't stand the trees in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As for sprites, I think that you already mentioned the issue. FR/LG sprites look more cartoony and thus are more appealing. I personally think that they're softer on the eyes and more enjoyable to look at.

Also, in response to "a lot of people have said that they hack FireRed purely because of graphics", I'll give you my typical response: the graphics can be hacked adequately and equally in both FR/LG and R/S/E. You could hack one to look virtually identical to the other. However, if one is closer to the hacker's desired style, then they're more likely to choose that one since it would require less work. And seeing how FR/LG are more generally appealing (to me, at least), more people are going to hack those games. It's just easier and to a lot of "hackers," that's what matters most.
What I meant by "cartoony" is the tiles, OWs, not battles. In fact, I like the FR/LG battle sprites better actually, but I was talking about the overworld.

Also I think it's interesting how a lot of R/S/E hacks change the OWs to FR/LG ones, while there isn't a single FR/LG hack that changes that OWs to R/S/E ones.
Old August 28th, 2010 (10:39 AM).
え?

Also I think it's interesting how a lot of R/S/E hacks change the OWs to FR/LG ones, while there isn't a single FR/LG hack that changes that OWs to R/S/E ones.
Well..if people want to change the R/S/E overworlds to FR/LG ones, in which case, it means that they don't want to keep the R/S/E overworlds, because they're comparatively less appealing to the eye, then why would anyone want to change the FR/LG overworlds to R/S/E?
Old August 28th, 2010 (07:13 PM).
im sexy and i know it

Quote originally posted by Binary:
because they're comparatively less appealing to the eye,
That's a matter of opinion.

Quote:
then why would anyone want to change the FR/LG overworlds to R/S/E?
I was wondering why people think the cartoony FR/LG overworlds look better than the R/S/E ones.
Old August 28th, 2010 (09:48 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

What I meant by "cartoony" is the tiles, OWs, not battles. In fact, I like the FR/LG battle sprites better actually, but I was talking about the overworld.
Haha, that's what I meant, too. I was talking about OWs.

Hm, that is a very interesting observation. And if correlation implies causation, then I guess it supports my theory that FR/LG-styled sprites are more appealing. Though if it's any consolation, I'm not planning on changing the OWs in my Emerald hack to FR/LG-styled ones. :)

Brother of Vrai
Old September 4th, 2010 (04:20 AM).
Moderator, CS

-says hello to Manip's little friend-

Cool new forum. Would things like Gary's Pikachu hack thing belong there?

Anyway, I'm sure it'll empty up PH and HS a little, eh?
Old September 4th, 2010 (04:33 AM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
-says hello to Manip's little friend-

Cool new forum. Would things like Gary's Pikachu hack thing belong there?

Anyway, I'm sure it'll empty up PH and HS a little, eh?
No, Gary's Pikachu hack is a super-serious hack of awesome!!!!!!!!1111111 what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!111111111

and no, it won't nobody reads these days. D:
Old September 4th, 2010 (05:05 AM).
Moderator, CS

Quote originally posted by Ninja Caterpie:
No, Gary's Pikachu hack is a super-serious hack of awesome!!!!!!!!1111111 what are you talking about!!!!!!!!!111111111

and no, it won't nobody reads these days. D:
o sos i forgot i though the secion was 4 supa sik hacks!!!! ;)

You're probably right, but, eh.

What about X versions of hacks (made by people that aren't the original authors, but have permission)?
Old September 12th, 2010 (08:17 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Surf
Hey, did anyone ever work out a Take Pokemon script?
I don't think I saw the end of that one.
clan, to play with casually.
Send me a PM with your Highest Level and your PSN,
and I'll get back to you.
Old September 13th, 2010 (06:28 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Surf:
Metapod did it (I guess xD) in his AshGrey hack.
Since you sometimes lose your pokemon.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 13th, 2010 (07:16 AM).
aka Arbok

I've got a question. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

Say I want to start a new hack right now. Which Rom Base do you prefer?

I personally would say Emerald - Battle Frontier, animated sprites, more advanced double battling style..

What's your advise? Is it for example better for me to start with hacking Fire Red?
Old September 13th, 2010 (07:20 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Surf:
HackMew wrote an ASM routine that deals with it.
Old September 13th, 2010 (07:39 AM).
え?

Quote originally posted by Oxnite:
I've got a question. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

Say I want to start a new hack right now. Which Rom Base do you prefer?

I personally would say Emerald - Battle Frontier, animated sprites, more advanced double battling style..

What's your advise? Is it for example better for me to start with hacking Fire Red?
I've worked with most except for Emerald and I've come to conclusion that they all have their ups and downs. You might want to experiment with all of them until you find one that suites you best; and you're more accustomed to. I can't say that it's best you start out with Firered. It's just a matter of opinion. If you want to go with Emerald, then go for it. ;D
Old September 13th, 2010 (08:10 AM).
aka Arbok

Quote originally posted by Binary:
I've worked with most except for Emerald and I've come to conclusion that they all have their ups and downs. You might want to experiment with all of them until you find one that suites you best; and you're more accustomed to. I can't say that it's best you start out with Firered. It's just a matter of opinion. If you want to go with Emerald, then go for it. ;D
Alright, sounds like some good advise!

I think I'll try Emerald in that case; I love the way the 'two-side / two-way' Double Battles work. I like the moving sprites as well, it gives the game a nice touch.

Does somebody have concrete differences or difficulties between hacking Emerald and FireRed?
Old September 13th, 2010 (01:32 PM).
Minecrafter

Would you play a hack that has miniscule mapping and no scripting done to it?
Old September 13th, 2010 (01:43 PM).
Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking
Quote originally posted by PureGoober:
Would you play a hack that has miniscule mapping and no scripting done to it?
Probably not.
If you're just starting out then just mess about with tools for a while until you get the hang of it, then move one up and start learning to script with XSE, then try messing about with a hex editor, then ASM and stuff, but never, NEVER, rush into a hack. I've seen so many people do this and it always ended up bad. There are tutorials in the appropriate section for starting out.
Old September 13th, 2010 (05:06 PM).
Revered with the stars

Quote originally posted by altariaking:

Probably not.
If you're just starting out then just mess about with tools for a while until you get the hang of it, then move one up and start learning to script with XSE, then try messing about with a hex editor, then ASM and stuff, but never, NEVER, rush into a hack. I've seen so many people do this and it always ended up bad. There are tutorials in the appropriate section for starting out.
I'd pretty much agree with that. Though for a first hack, you might want to do a "mini-project" kinda thing with the new Sub forum. I mean since it's there you might as well use it for something small. Back on topic, I wouldn't rush a hack, it's just lame and people make look down on you if your hack's full of errors. So my answer would be no, I wouldn't play a hack without scripts and minuscule mapping. It's just not worth the time. On the other hand I don't even play other people's hacks (I've only played shiny gold D: )
Old September 13th, 2010 (05:11 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Well, branching off of this, What if I was to make a mini-hack, kinda like a tech demo? A shortened version of a game?

voler avec moi
Old September 13th, 2010 (05:26 PM).
Revered with the stars

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Well, branching off of this, What if I was to make a mini-hack, kinda like a tech demo? A shortened version of a game?
I guess I'd depend on what the mini hack was about, if it was just minor text edits and maps, with a poor story/purpose, then no. I'd guess it'd have to be a good idea for someone to actually play. What do you have in mind?
Old September 13th, 2010 (05:28 PM). Edited September 13th, 2010 by Team Fail.
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Alignment:
I guess I'd depend on what the mini hack was about, if it was just minor text edits and maps, with a poor story/purpose, then no. I'd guess it'd have to be a good idea for someone to actually play. What do you have in mind?
Like some basic scripts, a set of new maps, maybe a gym leader, some easter eggs, whatnot. Not a minor edit, but new maps and all. A miniature version of a full hack. It would take a few hours to play, and there would be hidden extras.

voler avec moi
Old September 14th, 2010 (03:48 AM).
Revered with the stars

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Like some basic scripts, a set of new maps, maybe a gym leader, some easter eggs, whatnot. Not a minor edit, but new maps and all. A miniature version of a full hack. It would take a few hours to play, and there would be hidden extras.
Basic scripts? As in simple talking or is there more?

I might play it if the playability of the maps and the hidden extras make up for the scripting. Though you should take the extra effort to actually learn more about scripting, before attempting this.
Old September 14th, 2010 (04:08 AM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Hey, that seems almost so perfect, it's like advertising for the Sideshow Showcase!

It sounds nice though; all the stuff in the Showcase ATM is just "Fire Red +", "Platinum v3.14", "Revamped Red", etc.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)