Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page ROM Hacking Discussions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 14th, 2010 (04:45 AM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Alignment:
Basic scripts? As in simple talking or is there more?

I might play it if the playability of the maps and the hidden extras make up for the scripting. Though you should take the extra effort to actually learn more about scripting, before attempting this.
Well, talking, givepokemon, POSSIBLY an applymovement if I can get it, trainers... Those types of scripts. And like Ninja Caterpie said, it could go in the Sideshow Showcase! :smile:
Old September 14th, 2010 (11:40 AM).
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Like some basic scripts, a set of new maps, maybe a gym leader, some easter eggs, whatnot. Not a minor edit, but new maps and all. A miniature version of a full hack. It would take a few hours to play, and there would be hidden extras.
To be honest, I wouldn't play this hack. Imo, mini-projects shouldn't be 'mini-gym-leader-based-hacks'. But other stuff. I would like to see a Rocket Hack as a mini project, because if it's like that, you can concentrate a lot more on all kinds of stuff, instead of just expanding and expanding over a region.

Your knight from the plane of light
Old September 14th, 2010 (11:45 AM).
ModeratorCSGT

I'd like to see an adaptation of one of the games in another region. For example, everything that happens in Ruby, just in Kanto (obviously with some things changed - perhaps Team Magma are at Mt. Ember instead. XD) That'd be a cool mini-project or something.

Also, has anyone managed to insert new tiles with separate animations in FireRed. I heard it was possible, and I know colcol posted something regarding it in Emerald, but it'd be interesting to see (I believe Sienna has done it, but I'm not sure).
Old September 14th, 2010 (11:47 AM).
Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
I'd like to see an adaptation of one of the games in another region. For example, everything that happens in Ruby, just in Kanto (obviously with some things changed - perhaps Team Magma are at Mt. Ember instead. XD) That'd be a cool mini-project or something.

Also, has anyone managed to insert new tiles with separate animations in FireRed. I heard it was possible, and I know colcol posted something regarding it in Emerald, but it'd be interesting to see (I believe Sienna has done it, but I'm not sure).
LU-HO made a tool for it at WAH
Old September 14th, 2010 (12:26 PM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Yeah; unfortunately he did. Takes away what could have been a unique feature in some hacks.
Old September 14th, 2010 (08:53 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by NiKaNoRoU:
To be honest, I wouldn't play this hack. Imo, mini-projects shouldn't be 'mini-gym-leader-based-hacks'. But other stuff. I would like to see a Rocket Hack as a mini project, because if it's like that, you can concentrate a lot more on all kinds of stuff, instead of just expanding and expanding over a region.
Well, I can put in Rocket.

I have started on the town, and the first route. The route is kinda square. :\

On another note, I may have found a PKMN Black rom. No linkie, sorry, but it needs to be cracked. No emulators can open it, and AceKard cannot start it, yet it's a DS rom. Not even CrystalTile or VGMTrans can start them.
Old September 14th, 2010 (10:27 PM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
uhm, yeah, that's great. I can make one of those too. Sounds mighty fishy to me, tbh. Can't be OPENED?

...what's its size, by the way? Just curious.
Old September 15th, 2010 (04:24 AM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Ninja Caterpie:
uhm, yeah, that's great. I can make one of those too. Sounds mighty fishy to me, tbh. Can't be OPENED?

...what's its size, by the way? Just curious.
128 jigawatts of electricity Megabytes. A normal DS rom size. I'm not 100% sure if it is, though.
Old September 15th, 2010 (06:25 AM).
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
I doubt it's real. How do you know it's a DS ROM? Just having the .nds extension doesn't prove anything. You'd expect it to use the standard DS file system anyway.
Old September 15th, 2010 (06:29 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Wichu:
I doubt it's real. How do you know it's a DS ROM? Just having the .nds extension doesn't prove anything. You'd expect it to use the standard DS file system anyway.
True at that. I'll keep using the Google machine, then.
Old September 16th, 2010 (06:19 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Oxnite:
I've got a question. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

Say I want to start a new hack right now. Which Rom Base do you prefer?

I personally would say Emerald - Battle Frontier, animated sprites, more advanced double battling style..

What's your advise? Is it for example better for me to start with hacking Fire Red?
No base ROM is the best by any means. Certain ones have advantages in various areas, though. HackMew compiled a list of the most obvious features that each game has. It can be found here.

Quote originally posted by Manipulation:
Yeah; unfortunately he did. Takes away what could have been a unique feature in some hacks.
Of course, the same could be said for every other aspect of "hacking" for which we have a tool that automates the process. But I don't see you complaining about everybody using AdvanceMap.

Now, that's not to say that I'm not opposed to the tool. Given that tile animation was the first of only a handful of discoveries that I have made, it probably upsets me more than most people. Still, hacking evolves as our knowledge of the ROM expands and really, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Brother of Vrai
Old September 26th, 2010 (05:42 PM).
Revered with the stars

I'd say the conversation before pretty much died.

What do you guys think an ideal first beta should be like?

I think it'd be anywhere between 45 to 75 minutes of game play. Longer betas, I think, tend to show more of that good old "hacker's dedication". I've seen shorter first betas but I think that the ones a little longer leave you wanting more. Unless of course the hack turned out to be you walking through an endless field of Pokemon grass. Not only is it the amount of game play needed but also the quality as well. I tend to like playing hacks with excellent scripts, maps and tiles (I like decompile the ones I wouldn't know how to do).
Old September 26th, 2010 (06:19 PM).
STOP HIM SAM, HE'S GONNA TELL US A STORY!!!

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
all R/S/E and FR/LG music plus select tracks from G/S and even Crystal. I mean, what's not to love?
Ruby and Sapphire also have the G/S music too.

Quote originally posted by Manipulation:
Hardly anyone's been able to figure it out. Luckily, I did

Old September 26th, 2010 (06:29 PM).
Old-timer

I have an idea for a side project, or perhaps a smaller version of it implemented into a full hack. Okay, we've all played Zelda, right? Right, so, what if there was a free-roaming-esque Pokemon game? There would be a path you would have to loosely follow(due to lv.70 Pokemon vs. your lv. 10), but you technically could go anywhere, and battle anyone whenever you wanted. Also, it wouldn't be laid out in a linear sort of fashion like Pokemon games are, it would truely be one big open area. Right, some areas would take on linear paths to go certain places, but most of the world in a wide free-roaming expanse. If you would like me to elaborate further, just ask. :3
Old September 26th, 2010 (06:43 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Alignment:
What do you guys think an ideal first beta should be like?
I think a first beta (this is assuming that the author is planning on releasing betas and not a single, final version) should contain a couple hours of gameplay. Two gyms, or the equivalent, is the minimum in my opinion. Otherwise, it isn't worth catching a training a team just to have to start over for the next beta.

Quote originally posted by TB Pro:
I have an idea for a side project, or perhaps a smaller version of it implemented into a full hack. Okay, we've all played Zelda, right? Right, so, what if there was a free-roaming-esque Pokemon game? There would be a path you would have to loosely follow(due to lv.70 Pokemon vs. your lv. 10), but you technically could go anywhere, and battle anyone whenever you wanted. Also, it wouldn't be laid out in a linear sort of fashion like Pokemon games are, it would truely be one big open area. Right, some areas would take on linear paths to go certain places, but most of the world in a wide free-roaming expanse. If you would like me to elaborate further, just ask. :3
If I recall correctly, Darthatron (amongst others) had an idea very similar to this a while back. Obviously a number of things would have to be changed. The first thing that comes to mind is the problem of battles; a system would have to be created so that the levels of wild pokémon and trainers' pokémon would increase as the player's pokémon's levels increased. I can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm sure that if you put some effort into it, you would quickly find that a lot of other things need to be changed as well. All I can say is that if you attempt this, you won't be able to get very far if you treat it as a "side project". It's too ambitious for anything less than a full-time commitment.

Brother of Vrai
Old September 26th, 2010 (06:57 PM).
Old-timer

Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
If I recall correctly, Darthatron (amongst others) had an idea very similar to this a while back. Obviously a number of things would have to be changed. The first thing that comes to mind is the problem of battles; a system would have to be created so that the levels of wild pokémon and trainers' pokémon would increase as the player's pokémon's levels increased. I can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm sure that if you put some effort into it, you would quickly find that a lot of other things need to be changed as well. All I can say is that if you attempt this, you won't be able to get very far if you treat it as a "side project". It's too ambitious for anything less than a full-time commitment.
I didn't plan on having people or wild Pokemon level with you, they would serve as the guidance, but not nessisarily(sp?) a border. I agree with you though, it would take a lot of effort and time, and would be better served as a full-fledged hack. Maybe this is something for the RMXP community? I don't know, but I always though it would be cool to have such a thing.
Old September 27th, 2010 (03:04 AM).
Dedicated to Thrace

Putting Game Dev aside, you first need to have the knowledge and then move onto what to change. As an idea it's good, but it'll need a lot of attention.

And yeah, not a side project. On the other side, basing such a hack on a LoZ game could create a hybrid between the normal and the Mystery Dungeon games. What do you think?

Old September 27th, 2010 (04:12 AM).
Old-timer

Quote originally posted by NiKaNoRoU:
Putting Game Dev aside, you first need to have the knowledge and then move onto what to change. As an idea it's good, but it'll need a lot of attention.

And yeah, not a side project. On the other side, basing such a hack on a LoZ game could create a hybrid between the normal and the Mystery Dungeon games. What do you think?
I hated the Mystery Dungeon games so, for me, no, but that's just me being biased.
Old September 27th, 2010 (11:49 AM).
ModeratorCSGT

That reminds me of Cello's old hack, Crossroads!. That was a kind of free-roaming hack.
Old September 27th, 2010 (01:09 PM).
Old-timer

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
That reminds me of Cello's old hack, Crossroads!. That was a kind of free-roaming hack.
Ah yeah now that you mention it, it does seem similar, though what I planned would be a lot more free-roaming.
Old September 27th, 2010 (02:07 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

I too was thinking of that, but like Final Fantasy, with all the weak stuff at the beginning and all the powerful things at the end. A slight adaptation to the Zelda idea.
Old September 30th, 2010 (09:33 AM).
Dedicated to Thrace

Okay guys, I've seen enough. I really would like to know your opinion on whether gen V Pokemon in hacks are good or bad, and why.

Old September 30th, 2010 (09:52 AM).
ModeratorCSGT

There's always the problem of movesets needing to be changed and abilities to be changed, but to be honest, I quite like the new Pokémon so I'd like to see them in hacks. It's alright now anyway as people have yet to form strategies with movepools so I can hardly see a problem. Anyway, I'm for it, even if it may be biased (because I like the Pokémon; not so much in Gen IV).
Old September 30th, 2010 (03:47 PM). Edited September 30th, 2010 by TB Pro.
Old-timer

Just curious why the Progressing Hacks and Hacks Showcase are now located under Emulation? I preferred it better when they were under ROM Hacking. I can't seem to find my way to any of the threads/sections that I most visit in near as timely of manner as before, that may just be me, though.
EDIT: And all the rest of the sub-sections, for that matter.
Old September 30th, 2010 (04:06 PM). Edited September 30th, 2010 by Alignment.
Revered with the stars

Yeah I'd pretty much agree.
The Progressing hacks and Slideshow place are both sub forums of the Hacks Showcase (Which I can't understand why).
It's pretty hard to navigate. The beginners lounge was a good idea though, not that any beginner can find it.

EDIT: The new design reminded me of this video http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links