The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIOneAlbum View Post

Wii will be interesting, one of my close friends had the idea of hacking MPR. And I've been working on Rumble as a promo for RHIOne.
Hm. I should have been more specific. But, I'm not too sure on how to hack WiiWare, but I think you can hack them by dumping your NAND using BootMii and looking through the files after unpacking the NAND dump.

Speaking of which, I should backup my NAND right now.

DERP. I just forgot. No, It's not necessary to dump the NAND. You can get a WAD of the game, and unpack that and hack it, then rebuild it and use a WAD manager to test it. But, it'd be recommended to do a NAND backup in case the hacked WAD partially bricks the Wii's System Menu. That way, you can fix it if you cannot access the Homebrew Channel.

Quote:

Just wait till our hacks come out for DS, pirate galore, lol. Once the maps are hacked, it's all over.
Oh yeeah. I can see it. Even games like Nintendogs are being pirated already and sold on eBay.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world

Last edited by Team Fail; July 5th, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
hashtag
king cook

Quote:

Ive stated before that PC is full of rom Modders, but the real hackers like Team RHI, Manipulation, HackMew, Mewthree9000, Lu Ho, Miksy, etc. Try to get the Modders to advance slowly. When my RHITwo training thread is approved I'm going to try to teach hacking.
I don't disagree with you here but I'm not too sure that people 'try to get the Modders to advance slowly' I'm more in comfort with the thinking that both people aren't willing to learn and people don't want to share secrets they've discovered, rather than stop people from getting better. If you get what I mean haha.
The path of the righteous man is beset of all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil me. Blessed is he who, in the name of the charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
I don't disagree with you here but I'm not too sure that people 'try to get the Modders to advance slowly' I'm more in comfort with the thinking that both people aren't willing to learn and people don't want to share secrets they've discovered, rather than stop people from getting better. If you get what I mean haha.
It took a moment to see where you are coming from. I think. It's not that people want to teach, it's that there is a lack of teachers and a lack of students.

Anyways, has anyone ever managed to get a .dls file from a GBA rom, like you can from a DS rom?

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM
RHIOneAlbum
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to RHIOneAlbum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
True, I see where your coming from, I guess some people wouldn't wanna share secrets in fear of someone becoming more popular than the original who taught them. But then you have people who wanna spend time and teach new hackers.
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Well, I've made the decision to start on my hack. It's coming along all-too well. I'll provide some teasers:

I guess that TV does serve a useful purpose. *shrug*

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Last edited by Team Fail; July 6th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:04 PM
RHIOneAlbum

Pretty sweet! AS and NR will be the first full Gen IV hacks :3 I see good things for it. Goodmluck and I'm here to help you Team Fail!
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I love it, Team Fail! :D
Though I just have to say this... =D
Do you think it's worthy to do R/S remake now when we expect to see original remakes? :D
But still, great to see Gen IV hack that actually might be different, keep it up dude! =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Pretty sweet! AS and NR will be the first full Gen IV hacks :3 I see good things for it. Goodmluck and I'm here to help you Team Fail!
What is NR?
By the way, about mapping in NDS games: are you waiting for someone else's map editor to come out, or will you actually figure out on your own how to create brand new maps?

Also, a new poll: what do you guys think about starting a community disassembly of those 3rd gen games that you love so much? Considering you're so many, it shouldn't take forever to be finished.

Regarding 1st gen, there's a work-in-progress disassembly of the game Red (for GameBoy), carried out by IIMarckus, to which I'm partially contributing as well. So if there's anyone else (although I doubt it) which is willing to contribute to it, you're welcome (this disassembly uses the assembler RGBDS).

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well, I'm going to need it. I can say it will not be easy. But, once all the mapping is finished, the scripts shouldn't be too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
I love it, Team Fail! :D
Though I just have to say this... =D
Do you think it's worthy to do R/S remake now when we expect to see original remakes? :D
But still, great to see Gen IV hack that actually might be different, keep it up dude! =D
Well, It'd be interesting in seeing it on a DS system. Plus, we don't know if gen 3 remakes are planned or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post

What is NR?
By the way, about mapping in NDS games: are you waiting for someone else's map editor to come out, or will you actually figure out on your own how to create brand new maps?

Also, a new poll: what do you guys think about starting a community disassembly of those 3rd gen games that you love so much? Considering you're so many, it shouldn't take forever to be finished.

Regarding 1st gen, there's a work-in-progress disassembly of the game Red (for GameBoy), carried out by IIMarckus, to which I'm partially contributing as well. So if there's anyone else (although I doubt it) which is willing to contribute to it, you're welcome (this disassembly uses the assembler RGBDS).
I'm thinking on that. I have a few different options at this moment, so as for AS's futute? We'll have to wait and see.

BTW, once I get these scripts a bit better and get everything underway, I plan to release a Littleroot Town beta demo for you all.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM
RHIOneAlbum

Quote:

What is NR?

NR is my hack of heartgold
Once I get my comp back, me, Challenger, and another person are going to be working on a map editor. Idk how it will turn out as challenger and I don't know 3D molding, I'm pretty sure the other guy does
I think Knizz (I think that's the name) already disassembled the GBA games, I haven't met Knizz, but I've heard he has. Wouldn't imagine it's so hard
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:

NR is my hack of heartgold
Once I get my comp back, me, Challenger, and another person are going to be working on a map editor. Idk how it will turn out as challenger and I don't know 3D molding, I'm pretty sure the other guy does :P
I think Knizz (I think that's the name) already disassembled the GBA games, I haven't met Knizz, but I've heard he has. Wouldn't imagine it's so hard :P
Well, take a look at this. I found it in a Google search for .BMD0:
http://code.google.com/p/dsmap/
I wonder if it is legit. It's all source and nothing is compiled and I am far too busy using my HEX EDITOR to get into compiling things.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
RHIOneAlbum

O wow, WHY DID MY COMP break. I coulda been cracking on a editor tonight.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
O wow, WHY DID MY COMP break. I coulda been cracking on a editor tonight.
That would be cool to see.

Oh, new update! I have my mapping mostly done. Thanks to Link_971 for providing offsets, I plotted out the town.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
RHIOneAlbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I don't think anyone at PC can say this isn't incredible. You have done what a year ago would have been near impossible! Props to you Link and Fail! For bringing the new gen to PC
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:

I don't think anyone at PC can say this isn't incredible. You have done what a year ago would have been near impossible! Props to you Link and Fail! For bringing the new gen to PC
You know, you're right! I think I might have something happening!

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:

Well, It'd be interesting in seeing it on a DS system. Plus, we don't know if gen 3 remakes are planned or not.
Well we can presume that =D

Quote:
That would be cool to see.

Oh, new update! I have my mapping mostly done. Thanks to Link_971 for providing offsets, I plotted out the town.
BRUTAL! :D
This is awesome... =)
You did outstanding job, Team Fail!

Old July 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post

Well we can presume that =D

BRUTAL! :D
This is awesome... =)
You did outstanding job, Team Fail! :)
Well, it was said that it was impossible a year ago. And look at it now. Now, I cannot wait for AS's thread to be approved. What I'd like to is map up to Rustboro City, but I can't yet. It could have so much potential.

That, and I've just proved that mapping is possible. That is, if you're up for using a hex editor.

Edit: I am currently doing movement permissions. I have the whole NE house remapped. It now has proper collisions. Now, I need to do the lab and remove the permissions for the SE house. Then, mapping is done!
Edit2: I have completely finished movement permissions. Mapping is complete.
Edit3: I have a video for the thread. I so cannot wait to post my beta video.
Edit4: I'm currently hex editing the graphic for the mini-map on the sign. It's effing hard. And, the admin of PHO liked my hack so much when I posted it there, he featured it on their news page! And it's their first article!
Edit5: Looking at those screens I made earlier makes me think that eventually, it'll be the norm. And to think that I could be starting something much bigger? It makes my mind spin! And I am completely determined to finish this demo! So, I cannot wait for the thread to come up! 12 hours from this edit, is when the thread should be available, that is, if it is accepted.
Edit6: Thread is approved! http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=256890

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Last edited by Team Fail; July 10th, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Well, it's dead here. It's been so for a while. So a new topic!

I whipped that up while I couldn't access PC, and I thought, "What do you look for when you compose music?"

Note: 0:41 is the loop point. IT'S SO FLAWLESS.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

That's pretty awesome!
And you're right about flawless floop!
I almost did not recognize the time of floop xD

Old September 1st, 2011, 04:47 AM
Truality
Left for good

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Truality Send a message via Skype™ to Truality
New topic for discussion:

If you were able to make a new ROM Hacking tool, what would you have it do and why would you decide to make it?
Waiting for your answers on this.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:54 AM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post

If you were able to make a new ROM Hacking tool, what would you have it do and why would you decide to make it?
A tool that allows editing of Sappy music in its native format using a sheet-music interface similar to Anvil Studio, without having to convert back-and-forth between MIDI. It'd have a smooth GUI for managing B2/B3/B4 jumps. Ideally, it would also be able to interpret and play the song, and to repoint everything for you as necessary.

As part of that, it'd have some basic error checks that it would run by interpreting at 4x speed or so without actually playing the song aloud. (For example, notifying you if you have more than 6 Direct Sound notes playing at once, so you can edit the song and make sure that nothing cuts out.)

Essentially, it'd be the perfect music editor, and I'd make it because right now, editing music... It sucks. The process is tedious and difficult and I hate it.

I actually have quite a few concepts planned out for an editor like I've described, and the music format is almost fully deciphered already... Conceptually, I have much of the functionality planned out -- everything from lining up each track and showing them in chronological order despite the presence of jumps... to parsing a track and displaying it as a flowchart, accounting for repeated sections (B3/B4 jumps).

But I just don't know how to code real applications, and HTAs can't do binary.
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Sawakita
Not Invented Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truality View Post

If I could, I would write a disassembler, with tracing functions, smart enough to be able to distinguish between code and data. It would save a lot of time...

| 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

If I could, I would write a disassembler, with tracing functions, smart enough to be able to distinguish between code and data. It would save a lot of time...
I think an easier way to do this would be to take an existing open‐source emulator (Gambatte would be a good choice) and modify it to disassemble the current instruction. Play through the game a few times, save the log, and then write some text processing scripts to sort and remove duplicate entries.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMarckus View Post
I think an easier way to do this would be to take an existing open‐source emulator (Gambatte would be a good choice) and modify it to disassemble the current instruction. Play through the game a few times, save the log, and then write some text processing scripts to sort and remove duplicate entries.
That would definitely not be easier.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
That would definitely not be easier.
And why do you say that? It seems simple enough. You wouldn’t hit all possible code paths, but you can’t do that with a disassembler either.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links