Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page ROM Hacking Discussions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old January 8th, 2012 (03:30 AM).
Modder/Hacker/Gamer/Dreamer

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Quicksken
Quote originally posted by Daikoru:
1st concept: Battles that last longer. By that, I mean doubling every pokemon's health and lowering the weakness/resistance multiplier (from 2x to 1.5x, and 0.5x to 0.75x). Well now, I dunno if the latter is possible to do, but with doubled health, moves that affects health on percentage would need to be modified (Leech seed would be the best move), and maybe even the moves that affect stats would need to be modified (else it would be too easy to boost self). Any version, but I'd prefer games from Ruby/Sapphire up to Black/White
It's possible, but I don't know wether it'd be worthwile. I mean, YOU would like to play that kind of game, but would the general public be interested in it?

2nd concept: Ability to learn more than 4 moves. Now, I suppose that this may not be possible to do and that it may also have been suggested already in the past. So not gonna bother much with that suggestion, just say if it's possible of not.
This might be possible, through some serious ASM. But if it can be done, it'll be popular

3rd concept: Triple Battle and Rotation Battle only. Maybe even battles with that Wonder Launcher or whatever it was. The latter, I suppose it may not be possible since the AI is probably not programmed to be able to battle in this mode. However, Triple Battle and Rotation Battles are waaaay too underused, and thus I'd love to play a whole game of just those!
Well, since Triple/Rotation battles are only used in B/W, and the hacking of 5th Gen is only evolving very slowly. And importing that kind of battles in R/S/E/FR/LG might be possible, but again, if possible, it would require a HUGE amount of source code editing. So I doubt anyone will want to take their time to do so.
Old January 8th, 2012 (03:15 PM).

Well, I've seen someone who said he was working on some B/W hard mode, and said there was more Triple Battles. So it looks like it's already possible, just requires to know how to, and to dedicate some time to change and balance every trainer battle. I understand B/W hacking is fairly new, so I don't mind waiting a long time.
Old January 8th, 2012 (03:21 PM).
apparently not quite dead
Gold Tier

Nature: Lonely
That sounds interesting. Speaking of B/W hacking, I haven't heard much about its progress recently. Can we even do stuff like modify maps & scripts, or pretty much just make the game harder/easier?
Old January 8th, 2012 (08:55 PM).

It doesn't seem modifying maps is possible yet. And certainly it won't be possible before long, since the maps are in 3D, unlike the GBA pokemons. But about its progress, I supposed you guys would know better than I do, since I just started interesting myself into pokemons hacks a few days ago.
Old January 8th, 2012 (09:05 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
It doesn't seem modifying maps is possible yet. And certainly it won't be possible before long, since the maps are in 3D, unlike the GBA pokemons. But about its progress, I supposed you guys would know better than I do, since I just started interesting myself into pokemons hacks a few days ago.
Well, the Pokemon BW mapping engine is almost identical to the mapping engine used in Pokemon DP. So it wouldn't be that hard to make a map editor if someone makes one for the 4th Generation in mind.

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.

The Legend of Legacy - Main Battle Theme
Old January 8th, 2012 (09:54 PM).

True, but you can tell it's more complex, especially with the bridge leading to the city with tall buildings, and this very same city.
Old January 18th, 2012 (03:09 PM). Edited January 18th, 2012 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
True, but you can tell it's more complex, especially with the bridge leading to the city with tall buildings, and this very same city.
It is simply some 3D graphics implemented into a 2D map, as the perspective changes on the bridge depending on which tile you're on, and the camera is not movable.

I believe it's called Mode 7?
Quote:
From Wikipedia:
The Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS 2D graphics hardware have scaling and rotation for traditional tiled backgrounds in its modes 1 and 2 and scaling and rotation for bitmaps in modes 3 through 5 (used less often on the GBA because of technical limitations).
I guess Mode 1 or 2 for the DS is activated every time a certain condition is met.

Oh and by the way that's Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City.

Old January 20th, 2012 (09:22 AM).

Well that still is more complex than the previous game. They may be based on the same engine, but it's going to take a few more things if you want the Map Editor to be able to create maps as special as that Skyarrow Bridge.

But honestly, since I'm no hacker, that's as far as I can understand. I was impressed at first when I got to this bridge, I'd be impressed again once a fan makes something else as impressive.
Old January 20th, 2012 (09:50 AM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Well that still is more complex than the previous game. They may be based on the same engine, but it's going to take a few more things if you want the Map Editor to be able to create maps as special as that Skyarrow Bridge.

But honestly, since I'm no hacker, that's as far as I can understand. I was impressed at first when I got to this bridge, I'd be impressed again once a fan makes something else as impressive.
Anyone who understands how to edit a Gen 4 map can easily stick another larger 3D model into the map. It's just like how in FR/LG there's a lot of true 8x8 tiles, like rocks, but in R/S/E there's not many true 8x8 tiles, usually opting for 64x64 cliffs and mountains and 16x32 trees.

Anyways I really am not one to talk, so this should get you started.

Old January 20th, 2012 (10:50 AM).
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by droomph:
It is simply some 3D graphics implemented into a 2D map, as the perspective changes on the bridge depending on which tile you're on, and the camera is not movable.
...except that every single map in the Gen IV and V games are programmed in 3D. Even the building interiors in Gen IV that appear to be 2D, program-wise, they're fully 3D, just that the game engine tells certain maps to display in that format. You can hack the camera angle with ActionReplay. Ever heard of the "crazy zoom" code? Well it let's you change the camera angle at will, it's pretty awesome.
Old January 20th, 2012 (05:55 PM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

I believe it's called Mode 7?

I guess Mode 1 or 2 for the DS is activated every time a certain condition is met.

Oh and by the way that's Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City.
Actually, Skyarrow Bridge has a dynamic camera that changes, and changes the movement permissions, hence why you cannot use Walk Through Walls there. The whole map is in 3D, but the camera just moves with every step you take.
Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
...except that every single map in the Gen IV and V games are programmed in 3D. Even the building interiors in Gen IV that appear to be 2D, program-wise, they're fully 3D, just that the game engine tells certain maps to display in that format. You can hack the camera angle with ActionReplay. Ever heard of the "crazy zoom" code? Well it let's you change the camera angle at will, it's pretty awesome.
In fact, in Pokemon DP, all the buildings have 3D interiors, and it was showcased in a Japanese pre-release screenshot. It was taken out of the final game, but one can hack them back in the game with a simple hex edit in arm9.bin.

Old January 22nd, 2012 (12:01 PM). Edited January 22nd, 2012 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Team Fail:
Actually, Skyarrow Bridge has a dynamic camera that changes, and changes the movement permissions, hence why you cannot use Walk Through Walls there. The whole map is in 3D, but the camera just moves with every step you take.
So basically it's an extremely limited version of the camera feature in most 3D games?

Old January 22nd, 2012 (02:02 PM).
apparently not quite dead
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
You can hack the camera angle with ActionReplay. Ever heard of the "crazy zoom" code? Well it let's you change the camera angle at will, it's pretty awesome.
That sounds extremely cool. Now I want an action replay.
Old January 26th, 2012 (09:55 AM).
No0b, but getting there.

Hows the progress on HGSS hacking? Is it even worth it, or should we stick to DP?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old January 26th, 2012 (10:24 AM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by EdensElite:
Hows the progress on HGSS hacking? Is it even worth it, or should we stick to DP?
'Nuff said.

Though we do need to work on the scripting system...

Old January 27th, 2012 (10:28 AM).
No0b, but getting there.

At the risk of sounding a newb, I don't really understand that list.

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old January 27th, 2012 (10:35 AM).
Dragon at heart
Platinum Tier

'Nuff said.

Though we do need to work on the scripting system...
I've been looking for a list like that, actually. lol
So basically it's an extremely limited version of the camera feature in most 3D games?
You can say that, yes.

Old January 27th, 2012 (11:01 AM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

At the risk of sounding a newb, I don't really understand that list.
Well you know how the NDS has a file system, right?

The main directory is numbered (to deter hackers), and so many times you'll see guides telling you to go to \a\0\0\2 or something, and you'll be like WHAAT

Anywho, Start here. Play around with the ROMs, and you'll find some great things in there.

btw start with Diamond or Pearl

Old January 27th, 2012 (03:39 PM).
No0b, but getting there.

Well you know how the NDS has a file system, right?

The main directory is numbered (to deter hackers), and so many times you'll see guides telling you to go to \a\0\0\2 or something, and you'll be like WHAAT

Anywho, Start here. Play around with the ROMs, and you'll find some great things in there.

btw start with Diamond or Pearl
Thanks, you helped a lot .

Old February 12th, 2012 (03:54 AM).
No0b, but getting there.

I had this idea a little while, but it would be too hard for me. So if you guys wanna try it, go ahead. Basically it would be a hack of all three regions. You would do it with HGSS as kanto and johto are already there, so it just a little scripting editing so you start in kanto and complete it there and go on to johto. And then hoenn to end.

In case I start this in the future, what would be better: Restarting at lvl 5 every time, carrying your Pokemon through or restarting at Hoenn?

Old February 13th, 2012 (08:39 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

I had this idea a little while, but it would be too hard for me. So if you guys wanna try it, go ahead. Basically it would be a hack of all three regions. You would do it with HGSS as kanto and johto are already there, so it just a little scripting editing so you start in kanto and complete it there and go on to johto. And then hoenn to end.

In case I start this in the future, what would be better: Restarting at lvl 5 every time, carrying your Pokemon through or restarting at Hoenn?
I think you should just do Hoenn, because Kanto has been featured four times, Johto twice, and Hoenn only once. It would be more original to just do a remake of Hoenn.

Old February 14th, 2012 (02:50 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

I'm not 100% sure on how much space a DS ROM has, so I don't know if it would all fit (though, in theory it could be expanded), the only issue I can think of is how will you do the Red battle on Mt. Silver, as you'd be Red...

Whilst we are asking questions, do people like those "crossover" hacks, as in Pokemon and another series (like TV series, other games, etc), just out of curiosity (as I have had a weird click to do a Firefly/Pokemon crossover, I just need to figure it out)?

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old February 14th, 2012 (03:28 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Banjora Marxvile:
I'm not 100% sure on how much space a DS ROM has.
A DS ROM can technically have 128256KB (although 256 MB is more realistic).
Quote originally posted by Banjora Marxvile:
Whilst we are asking questions, do people like those "crossover" hacks, as in Pokemon and another series (like TV series, other games, etc), just out of curiosity (as I have had a weird click to do a Firefly/Pokemon crossover, I just need to figure it out)?
Ah, no. Crossovers is to video games as meat is to vegans.

I cringe and die a little inside when I see a crossover being done. Pokémon should be Pokémon and Runescape should belong to Jagex.

Old February 15th, 2012 (09:07 AM). Edited February 15th, 2012 by -:-.

Greetings,

After scouring the web for various answers/resources, my journey remains largely unfulfilled. I've even consulted various native threads here in The Community. That said I have only recently joined so if this post isn't concurrent with procedure in any way, I apologize in advance. I would love to say any answers are welcomed but that simply isn't true. There is an abundance of misinformation ravaging the minds of the naturally inquisitive and well-to-do; as a result, if any individuals do seek to respond please offer concise and informed opinions/answers.

Are fourth/fifth generation ROMS capable of modification on Mac OS X 10.6+? System requirements?
To elaborate, I have no desire to create my own game. Moreover, I'd like to acquire any and every item/Pokémon and 'splice' their genes i.e. base stats, EV cap and the like.

If this is feasible, how may I do so? Programs, tools, etc?

I presume that similar questions have been asked; as such, links that detail relevant information are welcome in the event a personal response isn't favorable. Also, if insufficiently answered where may I post this to obtain a more adequate response?

-:-
Old February 15th, 2012 (03:14 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by -:-:
Greetings,

After scouring the web for various answers/resources, my journey remains largely unfulfilled. I've even consulted various native threads here in The Community. That said I have only recently joined so if this post isn't concurrent with procedure in any way, I apologize in advance. I would love to say any answers are welcomed but that simply isn't true. There is an abundance of misinformation ravaging the minds of the naturally inquisitive and well-to-do; as a result, if any individuals do seek to respond please offer concise and informed opinions/answers.

Are fourth/fifth generation ROMS capable of modification on Mac OS X 10.6+? System requirements?
To elaborate, I have no desire to create my own game. Moreover, I'd like to acquire any and every item/Pokémon and "splice" their genes i.e. base stats, EV cap and the like.

If this is feasible, how may I do so? Programs, tools, etc?

I presume that similar questions have been asked; as such, links that detail relevant information are welcome in the event a personal response isn't favorable. Also, if insufficiently answered where may I post this to obtain a more adequate response?

-:-
NO$GBA and ConsoleTool/Tinke/NDS editor should run fine on Wine/X11, if you have the version with support for .NET 4.0.

Hex Fiend is a great Mac Hex editor, and a Hex editor can edit your ROM straight from the binary.

Pretty much Wine/X11 will cover any need for Windows (unless you really don't want to).

Google is your friend.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links