Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [Discussion] ROM Hacking Discussions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2009 (07:15 AM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
Quote originally posted by narutoactor:

2nd join a hacking team now dont go crazy and see how manny will acept you at all times the max teams you should be on is 3 to 4.
gain some experence and the team should also give you some pointers also help around if you can.

4th make and start a team thread you proberly relise you cant make a hack all by your self.
..right, well..

I've never really been on a hacking team, and I don't really plan to be. You don't have to have / be on a team to make a good hack, bud. It takes longer, but at least you know exactly what's going on and when and why and everything. Of course, I'm not downplaying teams or anything, but I've been hacking mostly solo up until this point, and I'm quite sure I'd prefer to hack solo rather than in a large team. Also, if you are going to join a team, join one, not three or four or seven. You can't honestly expect to keep up with the workload required for several teams, can you?
Old August 1st, 2009 (08:07 AM). Edited August 1st, 2009 by NarutoActor.
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
thats what i am am saying at most join 3,4 the max Ive been on was too torzach and azure blaze
also I am not saying it required but it gives you different view and more experiences if your on or make a rom team but its completely your choice

Quote originally posted by Pokepal17:
Exactly, I only use the basic tools for stuff (trainer editor, map editor script editor, tile viewer, music assembler and LZ77 compressed image editor). For everything else I use a hex editor e.g. OW resizing, some text editing (sometimes use a text editor), palette editing and more
i am not saying all you should use is tools I am saying you should have every tools and note the title Is A road to be coming a GOOD rom hacker not a amazing rom hacker this was aimed more for beginners
Old August 1st, 2009 (08:27 AM).
welcoming a clean head.

Nature: Relaxed
Three to four teams max? Um, how about no? Working on four different hacks is not going to help anyone at all. If a team wants quality work done, their team members should be working on that hack alone to provide the best possible outcome. Working on four hacks at a time will probably set you back because if there is a deadline, you'll be stressed to get a ton of work done. Work on one hack. Your best work will be put into that hack, therefore improving it for everyone. Why in the hell would anyone want to be on that many teams anyways?

I, as Vrai also said, have never been on a hacking team and don't plan to be. I'll make a map or two for hacks that I think have potential, but that's where I draw the line. Honestly, I think hacking teams are worse than just one person making a hack, with exceptions though. And when one person is the only person working on a hack, it's easier for them to implement their own ideas rather than rely on someone to do something the way they first envisioned it. It won't always come out how you thought it would. Hacking teams make everything more complicated.
Old August 1st, 2009 (09:23 AM).
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Quote originally posted by sasquatchd00d:
Three to four teams max? Um, how about no? Working on four different hacks is not going to help anyone at all. If a team wants quality work done, their team members should be working on that hack alone to provide the best possible outcome. Working on four hacks at a time will probably set you back because if there is a deadline, you'll be stressed to get a ton of work done. Work on one hack. Your best work will be put into that hack, therefore improving it for everyone. Why in the hell would anyone want to be on that many teams anyways?

I, as Vrai also said, have never been on a hacking team and don't plan to be. I'll make a map or two for hacks that I think have potential, but that's where I draw the line. Honestly, I think hacking teams are worse than just one person making a hack, with exceptions though. And when one person is the only person working on a hack, it's easier for them to implement their own ideas rather than rely on someone to do something the way they first envisioned it. It won't always come out how you thought it would. Hacking teams make everything more complicated.
hacking teams are not that epic and most teams dont give a deadline they usaly say get to us when you can its more than posable to take more than one team if all your doing is one talk like spriting four sprites a day is a piece of cake
Old August 1st, 2009 (10:10 AM).
welcoming a clean head.

hacking teams are not that epic and most teams dont give a deadline they usaly say get to us when you can its more than posable to take more than one team if all your doing is one talk like spriting four sprites a day is a piece of cake
If teams are like that then that could explain substandard hacking qualities.
Old August 1st, 2009 (11:11 AM).
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

ah no do you see how big and great torazach is, its better to say when you can than breath down someones throat the reasons there are some bad hacks are listed in my post it first.
Old August 8th, 2009 (03:06 AM).
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
There isn't a perfect team. Whatever works works. If you are too kind, and don't set a timeline, things sometimes (SOMETIMES) don't get done, the same if you are too harsh, then the work isn't as good (SOMETIMES)

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves of Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 8th, 2009 (04:15 AM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by sasquatchd00d:

Seconded - damn Sasquatch, you're so good at this thing.

And also, someone's idea might get shot down by the rest of the team. 8D
Old August 8th, 2009 (01:25 PM).

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by payas0:
hi, can anyone give me the ROM offsets/HEX adds of the ff:
-
EMERALD
GYM LEADERS
- ROXANNE
- BRAWLY
- WATTSON
- NORMAN
- WINONA
- FLANNERY
- LIZA AND TATE
- JUAN
ELITE FOUR
- SIDNEY
- PHOEBE
- GLACIA
- DRAKE
CHAMPION
- WALLACE
-
thanks, i need because im planning to HACK them via HEX ..
-
Excuse me,please,but that belongs in the Simple Question thread.

Anyway,has anybody noticed that no A-Map tutorial threads include how to do connections between maps?

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old August 8th, 2009 (01:42 PM).
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

its quite easy go to map conections and chose the map you want to conect to if the map is not conected in the right position change the posistion offset +1 -> ^
-1 <- v
Old August 8th, 2009 (01:57 PM).

Nature: Jolly
its quite easy go to map conections and chose the map you want to conect to if the map is not conected in the right position change the posistion offset +1 -> ^
-1 <- v
Yeah,but to some people it's not easy.

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old August 8th, 2009 (02:12 PM).
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
I believe Neti's AdvanceMap tutorial covers that. It's probably long in the back pages by now, but...yeah.
Old August 10th, 2009 (02:21 AM).

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Surf
Alright, new topic.
Does anyone think that we need new rules in the Progressing Hacks forum to weed out the crap, and to let the hacks that will flourish, shine?
clan, to play with casually.
Send me a PM with your Highest Level and your PSN,
and I'll get back to you.
Old August 10th, 2009 (02:47 AM).
.explorer.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
Surf, I totally agree with you.
I'm getting tired of the Scrapbox as well. :|
Something...more strict. Like a screenshot for the scrapbox. XD
Old August 10th, 2009 (02:54 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

No, I think the scrapbox is just fine. It's called the scrapbox for a reason you know? It's for getting feedback on your ideas and showing what your hack can become. The Progressing hacks situation, that is something in dire straights, and it needs a lot of fixing up. It's all based on modding styles you know, the accepting of the hacks. And maybe with the need of a new mod, then maybe the progressing hacks will become more stricter and in effect better. I'm sure Christos doesn't like accepting most of the hacks there, but he can't do anything about it, they all the follow the given rules and therefore must be accepted. It's time for a rule modification or complete rehaul.
Old August 10th, 2009 (02:56 AM).

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Surf
There does need something done to the rules.
Maybe it has to be two weeks old to get to the Progressing Hacks?
clan, to play with casually.
Send me a PM with your Highest Level and your PSN,
and I'll get back to you.
Old August 10th, 2009 (03:00 AM).
Anime Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
I kinda agree that we need to implement or improve the rules in progressing hacks as more and more hacks was accepted into progressing hacks then after a few days or week,it died and never been updated on..

Old August 10th, 2009 (03:04 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Something like that. You know, if a hack is in the scrapbox for a limited amount of time then we can see how much the hacker cares about the hack. I mean, two weeks is a long time in the hacking world, a lot can happen. The hacker could give the hack up? They could make the most stunning amount of progress? Limiting it has of course it's benefits and it's flaws, as does like every single thing in the world. Benefits could be the fact we see the hackers work better, than just stamping up four screenshots and people looking at them. We can see the hacker progress from no work to one mapshot, to one screenshot and then onto progressing. If people like it, they then become attached to the hack and they are always viewing and commenting and giving it feedback. When someone does this, it both keeps the hack alive and keeps the hacker motivated. And if a hacker is motivated then they produce stunning top quality betas. And that gets them into the showcase. A hack, where people follow it from beginning to end, is what could come out of this, and it is my dream.
Old August 11th, 2009 (10:14 AM).
The rocks cry out to me
Silver Tier

I think there should be a thread in between progesive hacks and hack showcase something like
scrapbox begininghacks(will take the old rules of the progesive hack) progesive hacks(the new progive hacks will be for hacks that have a lot of progesion but not enough for hack showcase) and hack showcase
Old August 11th, 2009 (10:31 AM).
O.o

I think there should be a thread in between progesive hacks and hack showcase something like
scrapbox begininghacks(will take the old rules of the progesive hack) progesive hacks(the new progive hacks will be for hacks that have a lot of progesion but not enough for hack showcase) and hack showcase
It'd be extremely redundant to have a fourth thread for displaying ROM Hacks. My opinions have changed from way back when about Progressing hacks, but it really does need higher restrictions. Perhaps you need to showcase 6 diverse screenshots, and there has to be some sort of proof that there is scripting done in those. Mainly, the mediocre hacks that get nowhere typically have a few decent screenshots, but none of those screenshots show any signs of scripting, but instead... they all just show bits and pieces of the maps in the hack. It really would make Progressive Hacks a heck of a lot better if that was done at some point.
Well, that's my two cents for this.
Can someone give me more money? I'm runnin out of cents! D:
Old August 11th, 2009 (01:14 PM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Aye, Disturbed is right on that one. Having a fourth section for posting hacks would be rather, un-pleasent. At another forum I go to, we only have the two places for showcasing our hacks. These of course, are the equivalent of the showcase and the scrapbox here. Yeah, at the moment it's perfectly going well and fine, but we aren't as busy as PC. So, we have no need for three sections. Whereas at PC the need for three sections is pretty much very obvious. But, the showcase is obviously meant for the best of hacks but it's lacking in hacks because of the patience of some people to finish one hack. Most people just post their hacks that haven't put much effort in into Progressing. If they meet the requirements they have to be accepted. No matter how much any of the mods dislike it. So yeah, we need to raise the standards a lot. Some good improvements would be, six or eight screenshots. A video showing off one of the scripts. As this is where most progressing hacks fail, they show basically map shots in screen range. Because they have no scripts, what point of them being in progressing with no scripts? There isn't one, they need to have some scripts on show, at least one maybe two depending on the quality of the scripts. Also, I think the quality of the storyline should be taken into account. We can't have hacks in progressing with bad stories, can we? Well, just think about it guys.
Old August 11th, 2009 (01:48 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
I'm not in the mood to be writing massive walls of text today so I'll just say:
Everything is just fine as it is right now.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Anyways, if anyone's interested, I got the Fire Red PokéCenter and PokéMart door animations into Emerald sometime last night. Here's a video of it working. I encountered more trouble with the block above the door than the actual door block itself.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 11th, 2009 (05:18 PM).
can you feel my heart?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
A fourth section would be overkill. What we should do, like everyone else said, would be to step up the requirements for Progressing Hacks.. but I'm not so sure how to do that with an exact method. Increasing the screenshot requirement might help a little bit, yeah, but that's not something that can't easily be fixed by making two more maps. And the quality of the scripts doesn't really have much of a scale to go off of; how are we to judge those? Maybe length could be a possible suggestion for the storyline.. but who's to say someone can't just write a couple paragraphs of nothing?
Old August 11th, 2009 (05:20 PM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Well, the judging can easily be done, through moderator discrection. It's all up to the way the moderator sees it. And to be a moderator you have to be a good hacker, right? So I beleive letting the moderators judge is simple and effective.
Old August 11th, 2009 (10:30 PM).
@tion
Gold Tier

LOL I think you guys have an unreasonable expectation of what the ROM Hacking forum should be like. The moderators DO reject hacks but obviously we can't see them.

The thing is its impossible to be completely objective when you are approving a hack. Sometimes the only thing a hack has going for it is it's idea or story. I think that most of the storys and ideas in the hacks in Progressing hacks suck but obviously a lot of other people like them. Who is anyone to say what a bad idea is? I don't want to use any examples because I'd probably offend some one.

Also, most people learn from their mistakes and people are terrible at recognising their own mistakes. I could write more but I think I've made my point.

I just noticed that DJG has quit? The Higher Staff must be getting pretty annoyed with the ROM Hacking forum. 4 position changes in less than 3 months I think. I reckon the next moderator they pick will be someone really ruthless.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)