Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 11th, 2009 (11:17 PM). Edited August 11th, 2009 by Banjora Marxvile.
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Thrace:
I just noticed that DJG has quit? The Higher Staff must be getting pretty annoyed with the ROM Hacking forum. 4 position changes in less than 3 months I think. I reckon the next moderator they pick will be someone really ruthless.

Oh great, that means Sebbe has a chance... Or whatever his name is now...

Having another section is nightmare. Personally, I didn't see too much of a point when Progressing Hacks was revealed, but now I do. Another one is entirely pointless, as we have:

The Idea Space (Scrapbox)
The Hacks that are being worked on with proof (Progressing Hacks)
The hacks that have releases (Hacks Showcase)

What else do you need?

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 11th, 2009 (11:26 PM).
thethethethe
Gym Leader

Quote originally posted by Alice.:
Well, the judging can easily be done, through moderator discrection.
Easier said than done. ROM Hacking is almost an art form. Therefore the hack is up for a subjective view, and since the two moderators tend to be in different timezones, there's no room for discussion.
Better to leave things as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old August 11th, 2009 (11:29 PM).
sasquatchd00d
welcoming a clean head.

Nature: Relaxed
This is how I see it:

Hacks Showcase: This is the place for hacks with a great amount of work done on them and contain a lengthy amount of gameplay.
Progressing Hacks: This section would be for hacks that are showing hard work and progress, yet do not have a release or do not meet the requirements for the Hacks Showcase.
New Section: This will pretty much be a place for hacks that are destined fail or to be quit.
Scrapbox: This is a place for ideas and storyline development.

Honestly, a new section would just be setting up a place for the "one week hacks" that are quit soon after they're started. So, it would be utterly pointless to add another section. In fact, it could make things worse. Well, maybe. xD
Old August 11th, 2009 (11:29 PM).
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote originally posted by thethethethe:
Easier said than done. ROM Hacking is almost an art form. Therefore the hack is up for a subjective view, and since the two moderators tend to be in different timezones, there's no room for discussion.
Quote originally posted by thethethethe:
Better to leave things as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But if it ain't perfect, try to improve it.

But I agree with what you say. By the time they do discuss (due to the possibility of timezones interrupting), then people will be annoyed, and more hacks will build up, waiting to be approved/checked. I think more stricter rules are required for the Scrapbox, but seeing as even the current rules aren't followed sometimes, then... Well, what can you do?

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old August 12th, 2009 (12:10 AM).
Surf

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Surf
Quote originally posted by colcolstyles:
I'm not in the mood to be writing massive walls of text today so I'll just say:
Everything is just fine as it is right now.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Anyways, if anyone's interested, I got the Fire Red PokéCenter and PokéMart door animations into Emerald sometime last night. Here's a video of it working. I encountered more trouble with the block above the door than the actual door block itself.
Wow, Styles, thats pretty cool.
I can't wait to play your hack!
It looks epic.
And, would you be able to share the offsets for the doors in FR and Emerald?
Well, the Emerald ones at least.
clan, to play with casually.
Send me a PM with your Highest Level and your PSN,
and I'll get back to you.
Old August 12th, 2009 (01:14 AM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
I'm not in the mood to be writing massive walls of text today so I'll just say:
Everything is just fine as it is right now.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Anyways, if anyone's interested, I got the Fire Red PokéCenter and PokéMart door animations into Emerald sometime last night. Here's a video of it working. I encountered more trouble with the block above the door than the actual door block itself.
Oh my...can you help me do that, styles? I'm making my new hack on Emerald, and the ugliest thing is the Pokémon Centre. T_T
Old August 12th, 2009 (03:07 PM). Edited August 12th, 2009 by colcolstyles.
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote originally posted by Surf:
And, would you be able to share the offsets for the doors in FR and Emerald?
Quote originally posted by Ninja Caterpie:
Oh my...can you help me do that, styles? I'm making my new hack on Emerald, and the ugliest thing is the Pokémon Centre. T_T
Just navigate to 0x487000 in an Emerald ROM and the door animation graphics will be there. Make sure to set your canvas size to 2x2. You'll probably have to shift the blocks around to get a prime positioning. Then you have to change the colors in the palette to those in whichever palette the door uses (Palettes 0 & 1 if you're doing the PC/Mart animations). I've found that exporting palettes via VBA works best. Anyways, once you've got a decent palette, you can then pretty much draw whatever you want for the animations.

If people really, really want me to, I could probably devise a patch with the door animations from Fire Red but there would be a few limitations with the target hack's palettes. Eh, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 12th, 2009 (03:57 PM).
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Quote originally posted by sasquatchd00d:
This is how I see it:

Hacks Showcase: This is the place for hacks with a great amount of work done on them and contain a lengthy amount of gameplay.
Progressing Hacks: This section would be for hacks that are showing hard work and progress, yet do not have a release or do not meet the requirements for the Hacks Showcase.
New Section: This will pretty much be a place for hacks that are destined fail or to be quit.
Scrapbox: This is a place for ideas and storyline development.

Honestly, a new section would just be setting up a place for the "one week hacks" that are quit soon after they're started. So, it would be utterly pointless to add another section. In fact, it could make things worse. Well, maybe. xD
thats what I have been saying new section begining hacks
Old August 12th, 2009 (04:14 PM).
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote originally posted by narutoactor:
thats what I have been saying new section begining hacks
Actually, he was arguing against a new section. As he said, the new section would only be suitable for the type of hacks "that are destined fail or to be quit." If they're destined to be quit, then why even give them a section to be posted in the first place?

The problem with this topic is that it's difficult to enforce a "higher standards policy". As thethethethe put it, ROM Hacking is borderline art and therefore a hack can't be labeled as good quality or bad quality. Disturbed mentioned that the screenshots in a hack's thread should be "diverse" which I believe is an excellent point. We, somehow, need to come up with rules that require a hack to actually have a decent amount of work to have been put into it. The current rules allow a hack to get into Progressing Hacks with a minimal amount of progress.

If the upper echelons can come up with a more suitable system, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 12th, 2009 (04:20 PM).
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
mmmm maby there should be a voting tread were other hackers can vote for it to go in the progesive hacks or not do to if they think it has potential or not
also it would go
scrapbox-ideas
begining hacks-hacks that have screen shots and progres from the begining to at least the secened route
progsivehacks-hacks that show they progesed a lot at least the second gym
hackshowcase-showcase hacks that have gone a long way at least six gyms
Old August 12th, 2009 (05:13 PM).
Vrai
can you feel my heart?
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Vrai
I have been unable to find a way to import palette files into Tile Molester, which makes things very frustrating when you have to copy each individual color's Red, Green, and Blue values separately, so if anybody finds a palette format that Tile Molester accepts (and actually works (this is key!)), let me know. Anyways, once you've got a decent palette, you can then pretty much draw whatever you want for the animations.
Hmm.. I thought Tile Molester Alternate could import .pal files? Prove me wrong, though.. :/
Old August 12th, 2009 (08:17 PM).
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote originally posted by Vrαi:
Hmm.. I thought Tile Molester Alternate could import .pal files? Prove me wrong, though.. :/
Huh, for some reason it worked this time. Maybe the problem was that I was exporting the palettes straight from AdvanceMap, while this time I tried saving the palette via VBA's palette viewer. Now I feel like an idiot for all that wasted time I spent copying colors individually.

Here's a thought: has anyone ever considered trying to use multiple palettes when making a world map? I always thought it would be cool to have a region map that was more than just different shades of green and orange with some blue here and there. How 'bout drawing an actual mountain range or some other geographical features? The closest I've seen to this is the world map for Quartz, which can be found here.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 13th, 2009 (03:04 AM).
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Have you seen the new map tiles from HeartGold and SoulSilver? I think they are amazing, they show so much detail and vegetation. I'm sure someone made a region map in the rating thread not long ago. Lemme go check and I'll edit here if I find it.

Edit: I think this is the finished product. I'd love to see how the official map turns out.
Old August 13th, 2009 (03:47 AM).
Lover's Kite
the age of empathy
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Lover's Kite
Quote originally posted by Alice.:
Have you seen the new map tiles from HeartGold and SoulSilver? I think they are amazing, they show so much detail and vegetation. I'm sure someone made a region map in the rating thread not long ago. Lemme go check and I'll edit here if I find it.

Edit: I think this is the finished product. I'd love to see how the official map turns out.
Ew, no, the HG/SS world map is gross. ;o; However that map you linked too is really pretty, it'd better than the HG/SS one. :3
Old August 13th, 2009 (04:26 AM).
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

I haven't seen the HG/SS world map as of yet. But, I only linked to that because the tiles show details in the map etc. I'll definitely be using these tiles in Shinite. I just need to draft up my map then sprite it :D.
Old August 14th, 2009 (08:32 PM).
Thrace
@tion

Wouldn't adding too much detail make it look less like a real map? Maps irl only have terrain, roads and landmarks on it. I agree that one Alice. linked to looks good though.

Also, someone should update the FAQ in the ROM Hacking Forum, its out-dated and incorrect in places.
Old August 15th, 2009 (02:52 AM). Edited August 15th, 2009 by hashtag.
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Okay Thrace, I'll look into what I should put in there and update accordingly. Anyone with suggestions can feel free to PM them.

Edit: I edited three or four of the questions with new answers, and new links etc. I think I may start another, if Vrai and Christos approve. It'll be easier to start another than to do extensive editing.
Old August 17th, 2009 (01:10 AM).
Thrace
@tion

So I was wondering if anyone had tried to work out how tile animations work? I remember I had a look a while back and I think Darthatron had a look too. From what I can remember searching for the pointer goes to a list of other pointers.
Old August 17th, 2009 (01:13 AM).
Surf

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Surf
Which animations are we talking about, because I've been looking into changing some of the water animations.
Still don't know how to add them though >.<
clan, to play with casually.
Send me a PM with your Highest Level and your PSN,
and I'll get back to you.
Old August 17th, 2009 (01:17 AM).
Thrace
@tion

Oh haha, I guess I wasn't very clear. I mean adding animations, or even making a tile animate with an existing animation. Not replacing the existing ones. In Genesis the doors in some tilesets have no animation anymore.
Old August 17th, 2009 (03:53 AM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Styles was doing some work on importing Fire Red door animations into Emerald...but...yeah.
Old August 17th, 2009 (11:58 AM).
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote originally posted by Ninja Caterpie:
Styles was doing some work on importing Fire Red door animations into Emerald...but...yeah.
Again, I was merely replacing the existing door animations with new ones. Thrace is suggesting adding entirely new animations, something I, myself, was wondering about a while back.

On the topic of door animations, I discovered something, maybe a half a year ago, which might come in handy to some of you. It is possible to use door animations from any tileset in another tileset. Here's an example: let's say you want to use the door to Oak's Lab in Tileset 1 in another tileset (say Tileset 2). What you can do is find the block number (0x2AC in this case) and create a door block in another tileset in the same block number (0x2AC). If you set the Behavior Byte to 0x69 (Use door/warp), then the animation will execute when you use that door. The only setback I can think of is that the door animation will play in the palette to which it is assigned in its original tileset (10 in our case), which, as you can imagine, causes problems with differing palettes for different tilesets.

Which brings me to another point: it seems that door animations are assigned a palette which is used for that animation. Even if you change the palette of the tiles for that door block in the Block Editor, the door animations still plays in the original palette. Is their some way to change which palette is used for the animation? I haven't looked into it but I assume it's possible.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 17th, 2009 (01:15 PM).
Thrace
@tion

On the topic of door animations, I discovered something, maybe a half a year ago, which might come in handy to some of you. It is possible to use door animations from any tileset in another tileset. Here's an example: let's say you want to use the door to Oak's Lab in Tileset 1 in another tileset (say Tileset 2). What you can do is find the block number (0x2AC in this case) and create a door block in another tileset in the same block number (0x2AC). If you set the Behavior Byte to 0x69 (Use door/warp), then the animation will execute when you use that door. The only setback I can think of is that the door animation will play in the palette to which it is assigned in its original tileset (10 in our case), which, as you can imagine, causes problems with differing palettes for different tilesets.
Thats interesting... is that only when you import the tileset that you exported from Tileset 1? As in instead of creating a new file for the new tileset are you simply replacing tiles from Tileset 1?

Quote:
Which brings me to another point: it seems that door animations are assigned a palette which is used for that animation. Even if you change the palette of the tiles for that door block in the Block Editor, the door animations still plays in the original palette. Is their some way to change which palette is used for the animation? I haven't looked into it but I assume it's possible.
You could try looking at the pallete viewer as you go through a door. I assume the pallete would be under Sprite since the Tile ones would be full.
Old August 17th, 2009 (06:37 PM).
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Thats interesting... is that only when you import the tileset that you exported from Tileset 1? As in instead of creating a new file for the new tileset are you simply replacing tiles from Tileset 1?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.
You could try looking at the pallete viewer as you go through a door. I assume the pallete would be under Sprite since the Tile ones would be full.
Ah, of course. I didn't even think of that. I'll take a look when I get the chance.

And if anyone discovers anything related to inserting entirely new animations, please don't hesitate to post it here. I can think of quite a few good uses for that kind of knowledge.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 18th, 2009 (08:52 AM).
sasquatchd00d
welcoming a clean head.

I already knew about this, but I usually did it differently. I would just save the tileset, block data, and palettes of the tileset I was going to use and load them over the old stuff in a different tileset.

And when I changed the palettes of the doors then, the animation had the correct palettes still. Maybe it's if you edit the palette that it was originally assigned to, such as if it was in palette 10, I would edit palette 10 to change the animation palettes.

Sponsored Links