Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page HGSS FAQ & Known Information - Read before posting questions!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2009 (04:39 PM). Edited March 10th, 2010 by bobandbill.
Proud Gork
Administrator
CS

Nature: Lax

HeartGold and SoulSilver FAQ

So, this is pretty much a requirement since so many of the same questions keep seeping in - and they're the same questions every single time. Time to address the frequent ones - new ones added whenever someone feels like it. If you think a question is frequent enough and isn't covered here, contact either the mods of this forum, bobandbill and Hirro, or me, the thread creator.

Guides shall be added soon for more specific things, and in-depth analysis. First post is for general questions. Try the Control+Find feature (Ctrl + F for Windows) to quickly find the question you are looking for if it is covered in here thus far.

General questions/storyline problems (This post)

General Known Info (2nd post)

PokeWalker Guide by yaminokame (3rd post)

General Questions

What are HeartGold/SoulSilver?
They're the latest Pokemon games in the main handheld series by Game Freak! They are also remakes of the 2nd Generation games Gold and Silver (with events from Crystal also added in), now with updated gameplay, updated graphics, remixed music, and so forth.

When are these games coming out?
The games have already come out in Japan, since September 12th, 2009, but is yet to be released anywhere else. Currently the release date for America is MARCH 14TH 2010, Australia/New Zealand 25th March and Europe 26th March.

Are the games only for the DSi?
No. These games are compatible with both the DS, DS Lite and DSi.

Will these games work on my DS if I import?
Yes. The DS is not region coded. However, you will not be able to connect the games with Wii games from a different language. (For instance, English versions of Pokémon Battle Revolution will only connect to English US and English PAL games, where Japanese versions will connect with Japanese games only.)

Will I be able to go to Kanto in these games? What about Hoenn and Sinnoh?
Yes, you can go to Kanto. As with Gold and Silver, to access Kanto you must first obtain all eight Johto League Badges. (To fully access Kanto, you must defeat the Pokémon League.) No other regions are accessible.

Can I trade with D/P/Pt? If so, when?
Yes, you can. You can do so once you get the Pokedex - i.e. very early in the game.

My game keeps crashing.
Buy the game rather than pirate, then!

Storyline Help - How to Beat the Game
For the little changes that you can't understand due to the game being in Japanese, or the tricky parts in the game. Spoilers may be within!

What did Prof. Elm tell me to do in the beginning of the game?
He tells you to go to Mr Pokemon's house to pick something up. Walk east through Cherrygrove Town and head north. Take the eastern path up until you see a house - go into it. Talk to the people there and get the Pokedex and the mystery item from Mr Pokemon inside. Once you leave you'll get a phone call from Elm to head back to the lab, so do so and give him the item.

How can I battle the Violet City Gym Leader? I'm not allowed inside the gym!
Go to Spout Tower (the tower beyond the bridge to the right and north of the gym) and battle your way to the top, and beat the Elder at the end first.

I beat the gym leader, but the guy south of Violet City stops me from passing!
Go to the Pokemart in Violet City and talk to the Aide there, and accept the egg from him first. (You need a spare slot in your party). Then you can go south of Violet City.

How do I get past the guy and the Cut Tree in Ilex Forest?
You have to, after beating the Gym Leader (Bugsy), rescue two Farfetch'd by cornering them. They will always run if you talk to them and they are already facing you. The trick is to have them stand in a corner, make them look at one direction by stepping on a tree branch so they look at you, and then walk around the other way and press A at them while they are still looking at said tree branch (i.e. don't walk on any other tree branches to cause them to look at you again).

I can't get into the Goldenrod (3rd) gym!
You have to get a Radio card from the Radio Tower for your PokeGear. Talk to the lady to the right behind the desk on the 1st Floor, and answer her quiz correctly to get it. The correct answers are in this order: Top, Top, Bottom, Top, Bottom.

Goldenrod's gym leader won't give me the badge when I beat her!
Walk away a few steps so the NPC talks to you, and then talk to her again, and she'll give it to you.

I'm north of Goldenrod and the National Park and I can't get past a dancing tree!
Beat Goldenrod's gym leader and get the badge first first, and then visit the flower shop (in the north, right-side of Goldenrod - right next to the gym). Talk to the lady there and she'll give you a Squirtbottle. Use that on the tree to reveal its true form (Sudowoodo), and battle it to get past. (You can catch it!)

I cannot get into the Ecruteak (4th) gym!
Go to the Burnt Tower (north-west corner of Ecruteak), and go down the ladder after beating your rival to scare away the 3 Pokemon there. Then you can go beat the gym.

Where's HM Strength?
It is no longer in Olivine City's restaurant. Rather, go east of Ecruteak towards the water - before you can reach it a hiker will walk out of the cave and talk to you, and give you the HM.

I can't get to the Gym in Olivine City! (The port city)
You have to go to the top of Olivine Lighthouse first (to the east of Olivine City), and talk to Jasmine there with the Ampharos. Then surf south-west until you reach Cianwood City. Talk to the pharmacist (shop in the south part of the town), and get the SecretPotion key item. Then go back to Olivine and the Lighthouse and give it to the Ampharos. (Handy hint - beat Cianwood's gym first, and gain the ability to Fly back to Olivine instead of surfing!)

What do I do in Mahogany Town/Get past the man to the east of it?
Go north to the Lake of Rage (hint - don't go via the Gatehouse during this as every time you do so you loss $1000) and surf to the middle of it, where you will see a Red Gyarados. Battle/Catch it, and surf back south. Talk to Lance (person with a Dragonite behind him, standing by the sign), and go back to Mahogany. Go to the 'shop' (next to the odd-looking tree with antenna sticking out), and from there infritrate the hideout. Once you beat it, you will get HM Whirlpool, and you can then battle the gym leader.

I can't get through Ice Path because a man is stopping me!
After beating the 7th gym, you have to fly back to Goldenrod and get through Radio Tower.

A person is stopping me get past the first floor in Radio Tower!
Go to the Goldenrod Underground, and talk to the Rocket Grunt there to go under disguise, and head back to Radio Tower and talk to the person by the stairs first.

Once you beat the fake Director on the 5th floor, go back to the Underground and use the Key you got on a locked door there. Battle your way through, beat the switch puzzle (pay attention to the colours of the floor and switches - easy way = middle, right, left), and talk to the real Director who will give you a Swipe Card Key item. Go back to the top of the Radio Tower, using the Swipe Card on the 3rd floor to access the rest. The rest is straightforward.

A Kimono girl is blocking my way in Ice Path at the end!
Navigate yourself behind here (so you are standing next to and north of her), and talk to her. Select the top option to push her away.

The 8th Gym Leader Clair (Blackthorn City's) won't give me a badge when I beat her!
Go outside and get Pokemon that know Surf and Whirlpool. Surf north of the gym and go into the Cave to Dragon's Den. Navigate your way around the left hand-side past the Whirlpool and go inside the building. You will have to answer a quiz from the Elder there to get your gym badge. (It doesn't matter if you select incorrectly as the question will be just repeated, but there is an advantage to getting it correct... Correct answers are Top, Top, Bottom, Top, Middle.

I don't know where to go after getting all the gym badges/I can't surf east of New Bark Town!
First, go back to Elm's lab and talk to him to get the Master Ball. Then, go to Ecruteak and the Dance Theatre, and beat all 5 Kimono girls in a row.

Then, if you are playing HeartGold, go to the building north of Ecruteak and talk to the Elder to make him move to the side. Go past and outside and into the Tin Tower. Go to the top by navigating your way through the puzzle, and once there, talk tot he Kimon girl to call down Ho-oh. Battle/Capture it (the latter is highly recommended =P).

If you are playing SoulSilver, go to the Whirl Islands (bring surfing Pokemon and something which knows Whirlpool. Flash is also recommended - the elder in Spout Tower gives that to you). Go inside the north-eastern island. Take the top route and go down the ladder, then head south-west towards another ladder. Follow the way until you see an old man/sage and talk to him, then walk past him down and into the cave. Talk to the Kimono girls to activate Lugia. Battle/Capture it (the latter is highly recommended =P)..

After that, you can go back to New Bark Town. Surf East to start heading towards Indigo Plateau and the Elite Four.

What HMs do you need to reach the Elite Four?
Surf and Waterfall to get to the Victory Road gate (which you can fly from and to so you change your party by going back and forth), with Whirlpool optional for items/a trainer battle. In Victory Road itself, you need Strength, and Rock Smash for the many items there.

I can't beat the Elite Four!
Train your Pokemon more! Battle Pokemon in Victory Road, look for trainers you may have missed (such as in Union Cave via Surfing, South of Goldenrod via Surfing, etc), and while you do so, trainers may call you for a rematch (they will mention the Route Number if they want to fight you again/give you something, and if you examine the map, exclamation marks on routes indicate there's the trainer waiting for you).

Also examine your team - a well-varied team will help more, especially ones with decent movesets. Also, Ice moves help in particular for the last battle.

What do I do after beating the Elite Four?
Why, explore Kanto, of course! Either go to Victory Road gate and head east to Viridian, or talk to prof Elm to get the SS Anne Ticket first, go to Olivine City and go to the port. Talk to Oak to get the National Dex, and then catch the ship (S.S. Anne) which will take you to Kanto.

I'm on the ship to Kanto, and I can't get off the ship! Help!
For the first trip, you have to find the man's lost child. Go downstairs and talk to a sailor to the right who is blocking your way. Go back up and look in one of the rooms for a sailor who is sleeping in bed. Talk to him and battle him. Then go back past the sailor downstairs and talk to the girl there. Different from GSC, you now have to play the game. She's to the left, hiding behind a wall on the level with the sailor who blocked you way. Then get the Metal Coat from the man as thanks for finding her, and then the ship will pull in.

Any other time, to arrive, simply sleep in your bed (yoru room is to the right and south side of the main level).

There's a Snorlax blocking my way/I can't get to the west side of Kanto!/I can't get into Cerulean Gym!
The Snorlax is blocking Diglett Cave which goes right to Pewter City. You have to do a sidequest first. Go to the Power Plant, which is in the north-east corner of Kanto (north of Lavender Town and after Rock Tunnel, and east of Cerulean City). Surf around to get to it - it is a bit south of the Pokemon Centre. Go inside and talk to the people, and when you leave you will be stopped and talked to by the officer there. Go back to Cerulean City and into the gym, and a Rocket Grunt will run out. Go north of Cerulean City onto Route 24 and Nugget Bridge and talk to him/battle him. Then go back to the gym, and find the part. (Go to the right, up and around to the left and examine the swimming equipment next to the pool, such as the rubber ring, to find it). Or go here and check that part:

Then take it back to the Power Plant and give it to the...chubby man there. Power will be running now. Go to Lavender Town and into the Radio Tower and talk to the Director there who will expand your radio in the Pokegear. Go to the Snorlax and go to the radio. You will have to manually move the frequency to the very top, and a touch to the left ot access a different radio channel - the Pokeflute should start playing once you find it. Then talk to Snorlax which will wake up and battle you.

To activate Cerulean gym after this, go north of Cerulean into Route 24/25 and battle your way to the end - she will be standing on the cape. Talk to her and she will go back to her gym.

Alternatively, to get to the Eastern Part of Kanto, fly to Victory Road Gate and head east to Viridian, or surf south and west of Fuchsia City.

How do I open Viridian's Gym?
Talk to Blue (or in the Japanese versions, Green) on Cinnabar Island after you've beaten the other gym leaders in Kanto (i.e. have 15 gym badges). Then he'll go back to Viridian gym.

Where is Cinnabar/Blaine's gym?
It is at the Seafoam Islands. Go via the southern entrance (via surfing from Cinnabar) and go up the ladder to find the gym.

How do I get to Mt Silver/West of Victory Road to battle Red?
Beat all of the Kanto Gym Leaders first. Then, talk to Prof. Oak in Pallet Town, who will activate the way and give you the HM Rock Climb. Go to Mt Silver by heading west of Victory Road gate and climb to the top to battle Red. You'll need Rock Climb, and Stength/Rock Smash (optional for items).

To re-battle him, first battle Lance and Clair in a double battle with your Rival by talking to him in Dragon's Den, and then beat the Elite Four's new teams to re-activate him again.

Other
Other general questions, such as about important key items and places not necessary to 'beat' the game up to Red.

How do I control the pieces for the Ruins of Alph puzzles?
Press and drag them to move them via the stylus, and tap them to rotate.

What are Apricorns good for?
Apricorns are good for a few things in these games. You can have Kurt turn them into special Pokeballs, and turn them into Juice to give to your Pokemon to increase their Pokethlon stats.

How do I get Apricorns?
Talk to the man inside the first house you see walking north of Cherrygrove Town (2nd town in the game) to get the Apricorn Case. Then examine Apricorn Trees to get one. (There's one right by the Apricorn Case Man's house for reference). You can get one Apricorn per tree per day.

Where is the Itemfinder?
Go inside the house in-between Ecruteak's Gym and Pokemon Centre and answer yes (top option) to the man's question to get it. It is touch-screen operated.

How do I get Headbutt?
Talk to the man headbutting trees in Ilex Forest. He will then offer to teach your Pokemon the move unlimited times.

How do I grow berries and get them?
You get the Berry Planter during the storyline which replaces soil you put berries in, meaning you literally carry the berry trees with you (no need to roam the region to check them!) - after getting/beating Sudowoodo (the dancing tree north of Goldenrod/west of Violet City), the girl there will give it to you. Then you can place berries in the pots (select a pot and then the 2nd option, and then choose a berry), and water them (select any pot and the 1st option to water. Tap other pots/press left/right to water them as well to save from doing it individually.

Your in-game mother will frequently buy you berries, which you can pick up from the delivery man in any Pokemon Mart - the type-reducing-damage berries. Also the man by Violet City's Pokemon Centre gives you some (such as Oran berries, Lum, other early ones), and the man by Fuchsia's Pal Park (the old Safari Zone) will give you others (such as the PokeBlock/Poffin berries, and the EV-reducing berries).

What's with Miltank Farm?
The Miltank in the left building is sick. Feed it plenty of Oran Berries to make it feel better - once it is completely healthy, you can get a few items (like a TM) from people in the farm, and buy MooMooMilk (which heals 100HP).

How do I get PokeSeals?
You can get the case from the girl by the sick Miltank once you heal it up by giving it plenty of Oran Berries. You'll also get a few seals, and can get more from there.

How do I get to the Safari Zone?
Once you beat Cianwood Gym Leader Chuck you can go west of Cianwood through the cave to route 46/7. Keep heading up and north and you'll get there.

How do I customise the Safari Zone?
First, catch a Geodude in the Safari zone and show it to the man sitting in the reception area. He'll then call you the next day (it's a forced call so you can't miss it when it happens) and by using the machine by the front counter, you can switch around the areas, which give you access to more Pokemon.

Once you catch a Sandshrew there and show it to him, the next day he will call again to tell you you can now place objects (like trees, statues, etc) to the Park. Different items will attract different Pokemon.

Where's the Pokethlon? And what is it?
It is west of the National Park (north of Goldenrod), and can be reached after beating the 3rd gym leader. It is a minigame place, where three of your Pokemon compete in events against others to gain points and win. You can use these points to buy items and use Apricorn Juice to increase Pokemon Pokethlon stats, and the aim is to beat all of the records in every event. Think Contests, but more interactive. Find out more in the Known Info Thread.

Are there any Contests in these games?
No. It is replaced by the Pokethlon.

Is there a Pal Park/what happened to Kanto's Safari Zone?
Yes. The Safari Zone in Kanto is replaced by a Pal Park. Unlike in D/P/Pt, there is no 6-Pokemon-a-day-transfer-limit in place.

Can I find Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokemon in these games?
Yes, after beating the Elite Four. The Bug-catching competition has them on Thursdays and Saturdays, and they can be found in the Safari Zone as well. They can swarm in places (find out what the swarm of the day is by listening to Prof. Oak's Pokemon show). Specific Hoenn Pokemon will appear in routes when you have the Pokemon March radio channel playing on Wednesdays (Hoenn music plays), and Sinnoh Pokemon will appear if you play the channel on Thursdays (Sinnoh music plays). They can also appear in trees in Kanto, or trees accessible via Rock Climb in Johto.

How do I get the Magnet Train to work?
First, beat the Power Plant side-quest in Kanto to get power up and running again. Then, talk to the Copycat girl in a house just south of the Magnet Train station in Saffron City. Then go to the Pokemon Fan Club south in Vermillion City and get the Clefairy Doll by talking to the man sitting next to it. Give it back to the Copycat Girl and she'll give you a Magnet Train pass, allowing you to go on it.

How do I get the Kanto/Hoenn starters?
Talk to Oak after beating Red to get your choice of the Kanto starters. Talk to Steven Stone in Sliph Co in Saffron City once beating the Magnet Train side-quest and talking to him in Pewter City's museum to get your choice of the Hoenn starters.

How do I get the GB Player to play old GSC tunes?
Beat all 16 gym leaders, and then go to Celodon City mansion. Talk to the man by the globe, and he'll give it to you. Simply use it to change back and forth between HG/SS music, and GSC music. Also, on Sundays the music channel will play GSC tunes, including ones you can't normally hear like the old title screen music.

Are the day people from GSC back?
Yes. They reappear in the same places as they did before, and will give you a type-boosting item if you talk to them on their day (e.g. Frida of Friday will appear above the Pokemon Centre south of Violet City/by Union Cave and give you a Poison Barb if you talk to her).

Can I rebattle Gym Leaders?
Yes. Their teams get updated to a full part of 6, get a level boost (level 50-60s) and can be rebattled infinitely. You must obtain their phone number by finding them around Johto/Kanto at a specific day and time, and then call them for a re-match in another specific day and time period (they can be battled as many times during that period, though). They will appear in Saffron City's Fighting Dojo. For now, check how to battle them all here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/gym-rematch.shtml

Is there a Battle Frontier?
Yes - it is west of Olivine City and can be entered once beating the Elite Four. It is the same as Platinum's (bar move tutors), so it is also compatible with Platinum's Battle Frontier.

Are the GTS and WiFi minigames back?
Yes and yes. The GTS is the same as Platinum's and can be found in Goldenrod City, west of the Radio Tower. Wifi minigames are back as well, and the same as Platinum's so they can be played with someone with Platinum.

When Pokemon follow you, does the fact that they are shiny or not show up?
Yes - any Pokemon that is shiny will appear to be so when they follow you about, not just the Red Gyarados.

What are the best places/Pokemon to EV train on?
  • HP
    • Hoot-hoot (1pt)
    • Location: Basically everywhere, and quite common. A few areas, Route 1-6.
  • ATTACK
    • Bellsprout & Ekans (1pt)
  • DEFENSE
    • Geodude, Onix, Rhyhorn (1pt)
    • Metapod and Kakuna (2pts)
  • SPECIAL ATTACK
    • Ghastly (1pt)
  • SPECIAL DEFENSE
    • Tentacool (1pt)
    • Tentacruel (2pts)
  • SPEED
    • Magikarp (1pt)

Chuckie Finster
Dislikes: Clowns
Old October 9th, 2009 (07:52 PM). Edited March 5th, 2010 by bobandbill.
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
This post here contains all official info thus far released on HG/SS - it's a general summery of the features with pictures a-plenty, as well as an archive of information released in the lead up to the games, including Coro Coro scans and video links. Pictures and video links are all over the place, but a full list of those are at the bottom. Hopefully it may answer some questions you may have as well on the games.

Official HG/SS website (Japanese)

Official Japanese Trailer Video here.
English Trailer Video here.
Newer gameplay video here
Demo Gameplay here

Go here for the latest Coro Coro info.

The games themselves - general info

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (HG/SS, or the 'GS remakes') are the newest games to be released for the DS, as part of the main handheld series. HeartGold features the legendary Pokemon Ho-oh, while SoulSilver has Lugia - both Pokemon are obtainable in each game (neither are version exclusives). They are remakes of the games Pokemon Gold and Silver, and were originally and officially confirmed here.

It has thus far come out in Japan, since September 12th, 2009 and is to be released in America MARCH 14TH 2010 Australia and New Zealand gets it MARCH 25TH 2010, and Europe gets it MARCH 26TH 2010.

Logos and official Japanese boxart:
Spoiler:

You choose from the three Johto starter Pokemon Chikorita, Totodile and Cyndaquil, while the main legendary Pokemon are Ho-oh and Lugia. With the latter, you can actually obtain both within either game, only one at a later stage of gameplay, and at a higher level. Pictures of them below:
Spoiler:

You can choose to play as the male protagonist known as 'Gold' from GSC, or the female protagonist, 'Kotone'. Other revealed character art include Professor Elm, Silver (the rival), and a Team Rocket grunt. These characters return from GSC, apart from the girl protagonist who is brand new. (No Kris from Crystal). The new girl apparently will play a role similar to Dawn/Lucas in D/P/Pt, or Brendan/May in R/S/E - a supportive role in the game (assuming you choose to play as Gold - otherwise the roles are reversed).
Spoiler:

It is known that Pokemon can follow you around, akin to Pokemon Yellow where the Pikachu follows you around. However, it is confirmed that all 493 Pokemon can follow you, including legendary Pokemon. You can also get items from them that they pick up, just like in D/P/Pt. Talking to the Pokemon also allows you to see them give an expression (via a face in a speech-bubble) which shows you how they are feeling (basically a new 'happiness' check). You can find items as well to dress up your Pokemon with in pictures, and depending on the nature of your Pokemon and the Route you talk to them in, you may find a 'Shining Leaf', an item which appears in their status screen. Collect 5 for one Pokemon and show them to your psudo-rival, and you'll get a star on your Trainer Card and a certificate.

A video and screenshots of this:
Spoiler:

The touch-screen is now more interactive than ever - the Pokegear can be operated from there, and the bag, Pokedex and even PC boxes can be managed all through the touch-screen. As such operating these will become easier and more organised. Old functions such as the Map, Phone and Radio return, and a running toggle-button has been added to the menu, serving as the way to activate the Running Shoes, and allows for two Key Items to be 'registered'.

The Radio now serves a greater purpose - on Wednesdays a 'Hoenn Channel' program plays - listening to this will cause Hoenn Pokemon to appear in the wild, while on Thursdays a Sinnoh Show plays which brings about certain 4th gen Pokemon in the wild, depending on the location. The tune that plays in the Ruins of Alph increases the likihood of Unown not yet obtained appearing, and Prof. Oaks talk show informs you of Swarm Pokemon and where they are.
Spoiler:

Furthermore, the touch screen and stylus will be used to play up to 9 minigames within a special building/s, which rely on 'skills' - Speed, Stamina, Power, Technique, and Jump - these stats generally differ from Pokemon species to Pokemon specices, but can can be increased by giving a Pokemon juice made from Apricorns.

You compete with 3 Pokemon - some games with one at a time, others with all 3 at once. It runs on a points-based system, and points gained can be used to buy items, such as Apricorns, Healing items and Evolution Stones.

Minigames are as follows:
  • Dash Hurdles - you control 3 Pokemon in a race, tapping them to jump hurdles as they compete against the rest (who are off-screen). Timing jumps well increases their speed, running into hurdles slows them down. You can see obstacles coming from the top screen. The aim is to take out the top three placings, or close to that.
  • Bounce Field - aim is to make your 3 Pokemon bounce upwards into the top screen by pulling the stylus down and then flicking it up, to hit lights above. The more you hit in a row, the more points you get.
  • Ring Out Fight - you control one of your Pokemon at a time, and fight it out with others in a sumo-like game - basically, use the stylus to keep your Pokemon in the ring and knock out other Pokemon.
  • Shooting Snow - you control your three Pokemon in a snowball fight - you try to hit other Pokemon by throwing snowballs at them via the Stylus, while avoiding snowballs thrown at you (which can temporarily daze them).
  • Charge Relay - a race where you control one Pokemon at a time and try to achiceve as many laps as possible. Obstacles populate the cource, and from time to time you have to switch Pokemon when your current one gets tired.
  • Break Block - you control one Pokémon at a time. Aim is to destroy as many blocks as possible by tapping them as quickly as you can, while getting into a rhythm. From time to time you may have to switch Pokemon.
  • Catch Saucer -you control all three of your Pokémon at all times to jump and catch the saucers being shot over the field. Where you catch them determines the amount of points you get. You can also push off opponents from the stage, as well as get pushed.
  • Push Circle - aim is to have your Pokemon occupy circles that appear on the field to gain points. These circles vary in size and points given out, and you have to get your Pokemon in them to score points at the end of each round while pusing out opponents so they don't gain points themselves. You control 3 Pokemon at once.
  • Steal Flag - basically a 'capture the flag' game. You switch between your Pokemon to collect flags, and steal from opponents, and bringing them back to the finish line to switch with another Pokemon and 'save' those flags. Aim is to collect as many as possible. Max your Pokemon can hold is 9 flags.
Video + pictures of these minigames mentioned here:
Spoiler:

Link to file.de's: http://www.filb.de/1107
Pictures:

The game takes place in the region of Johto. It is confirmed that you can go to Kanto in the game (what it looks like is so far unknown however), and Johto retains the same places as before, such as New Bark Town, Slowpoke Well, Goldenrod City. There are some changes to it however (for instance, there appears to be a river flowing in the route/s below Blackthorn City). There are new areas as well (such as the Pokethlon west of the National Park, the Safari Zone and related routes west of Cianwood, Goldenrod's GTS, etc), and Kanto is upsized from GSC.
Official map of Johto:
Spoiler:

(Link)

Eusine is back, presumably with the Crystal storyline involving Suicune. You chase Suicune around into Kanto, encountering it in various places before battling it at level 40 by Bill's house.

Apricorns are back, and can be made by Kurt (who also returns - see art) into the old GSC balls. One can be picked a day from an Apricorn tree and can be held in an Apricorn Case. Furthermore, Apricorns now have another use! They can be made into a drink that affects Pokethlon stats. There are more Apricorn Trees in HG/SS as well compared to GSC - the Psn Cure Berry tree next to Mr Pokemon's house in GSC for instance is now an Apricorn tree.
Berries are now found as items, on the gorund, etc, like in FR/LG, but now you can plant them in a berry planter device which you carry around - you can grow four (or more, potentially) at once.
Spoiler:

The new area west of Cianwood has been confirmed to be a Safari Zone, which upon completing challenges becomes customisable with areas you can visit. Different sections yield different Pokemon, and upon beating later challenges you can decorate sections which bring about even more Pokemon. There is no walk limit in this Safari Zone as well. The old Safari Zone in Kanto becomes a Pal Park, which notable has no 6-Pokemon-a-day limit, unlike D/P/Pt.
Spoiler:

The bug-catching competition returns in HG/SS at the National Park and occurs every Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. Pokemon initially remain the same as they were in GSC, and the system is the same - you get 20 Park Balls and have 20 minutes to catch a Bug Pokemon for judging, with only one Pokemon allowed to help weaken Pokemon, and no items allowed. You can catch more than one, but are only allowed to keep one, so choosing wisely to replace the current one you caught or not is important to improve your chances at winning. Pokemon are judged on level, rarity and stats.

Prizes include evolution stones for 1st prize, Everstone for 2nd and a Sitrus Berry for third, while missing out on the top three yields a Shed Shell. Once obtaining the National Dex, you can catch 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon on Thursdays and Saturdays of the competition.
Spoiler:

The Battle Tower in Crystal has been replaced with Platinum's Battle Frontier, to keep compadibility with Platinum. All Platinum faculities return here, with BPs being able to be used to buy prizes, or teach move tutor moves to Pokemon.
Spoiler:

Pokemon Trainer Red reappears in HG/SS with a stronger team, notably with his Pikachu leading his team at level 88. He can be found at Mt Silver after beating all gym leaders, and will rebattle you each time you beat the Elite Four.

There are a number of rare legendary Pokemon/one-off Pokemon to obtain. The Red Gyarados from GSC returns at level 30, and Lugia in SS and Ho-oh in HG appear at level 45 respectively (they are at level 70 in the game they are not based in e.g. Lugia in HG). It is known that after beating the Elite Four, you can find Groudon in SS, and Kyorge in HG. Once you obtain both of them in the one game (via catching/transferring), you can also get Rayquaza. All are found in a cave/their own caves, and are at level 50.
Spoiler:

Other Pokemon include:
  • The Johto Beast Trio - Suicune has its own plot, in which you much chase it into Kanto. Eventually you can battle it by Bill's House at Cerulean Cape at level 40, while Entei and Raikou roam Johto once released from Burnt Tower, also at level 40.
  • Latios or Latias - one will roam in Kanto in your game when you talk to Steven Stone during the Magnet Train mini-quest.
  • Kanto Legendary Birds appear once you beat all 16 gym leaders - Zapdos appears outside the Power Plant, Articuno in Seafoam Islands, and Moltres at Mt Silver at level 50.
  • Mewtwo can be found in Cerulean Cave after beating Red at level 70.
  • Sudowoodo reappears at level 20 were it was in GSC, and remains part of the storyline (it is an unavoidable Pokemon).
  • Snorlax is again catchable at level 50 in HG/SS, again requiring the PokeFlute tune to be played (once found manually on the radio) to wake it up once completing miniquests in Kanto, outside the southern entrance to Diglett Cave.
  • You get your choice of the Kanto Starters from Prof Oak in Pallet Town once you beat Red.
  • You get your choice of the Hoenn Starters from Steven Stone in Sliph Co once you beat Red.
The Mystery Egg plot is back, Togepi being the Pokemon that hatches.
Spoiler:

Your mother can save money for you, as she did in GSC. She will also buy items for you, usually berries but at times items like Moon Stones and Choice Items. You can collect them from a deliveryman from any PokeMart.
Spoiler:

The Magnet Train and the SS Anne also return, allowing players to go to Kanto from Johto, and vice versa.
Spoiler:

The Global Terminal (akin to the one in Platinum) returns, situated in Goldenrod City.
Spoiler:

Wifi minigames like the ones in Platinum are back.
Spoiler:

Instead of Honey trees, the ability to Headbutt Trees via the move Headbutt has returned from GSC. A person in Ilex Forest acts as a reusable move tutor of the move. 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon can be found once one headbutts trees in Johto accessible via Rock Slide, or in Kanto.
Spoiler:

An item called the GB Player appears in HG/SS which allows you to play the old tunes from GSC instead of the new HG/SS music. It is obtainable in Celedon City in the Mansion by talking to the NPC by the globe once beating all of the gym leaders.

You can rebattle Gym Leaders by obtaining their phone numbers if you find them in specific locations at specific times, and calling them at specific times. You then meet them at the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City, where they have a boosted team (min levels around the 50 range), and may have 3rd and/or 4th gen Pokemon in their team as well. The Elite Four and Champion Lance also gets a revamp when you rebattle them.
More info on how to rebattle gym leaders here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/gym-rematch.shtml

The PokeWalker

Sold with the game is a device called the PokéWalker. You are able to trade one Pokemon from HG/SS onto the Pokewalker. The device works as a pedometer; when you walk about, your Pokémon will slowly raise level and happiness, as well as 'Watts' which allows you to battle wild Pokemon on the PokeWalker, and find items which can be traded onto HG/SS. Transferring is apparently easy.

There are 'courses' that you can take your Pokemon on within the PokeWalker - each has specific Pokemon within them. It appears at least two are available to use, and one unlock-able via trading a Jirachi event to it, unlocking the course 'Edge of the Night Sky'. There are other courses as well - another is unlockable by a event in Japan which unlocks the 'Pikachu's forest'

Info-page with pictures here:
Spoiler:

Pre-order bonus - figurines!

If you pre-order HeartGold from Japan, you get a Ho-oh figurine - if you pre-order SoulSilver, it's a Lugia figurine - and if you pre-order both, you get both of them, as well as an Arceus figurine. Pre-orders for it start on July the 4th.

Pictures of the three figurines:
Spoiler:

Events

A number of events have been confirmed for HG/SS. Click here to see a video on the Notched-Ear Pichu and Arceus events.

- If you send over the Pikachu Coloured Pichu (PCP) obtained from the special 12th movie event (given away from June 19th to July 18th), you unlock an event in Ilex forest by Celebi's Shrine, which cause the Notched-Ear Pichu (NEP) to appear. It knows Volt Tackle, Helping Hand, Swagger & Pain Split. An old man appears afterward NEP does - presumably he tells you something about the Pichu.
Spoiler:

- Trading over the Arceus movie event to HG/SS and taking it to the Ruins of Alph and talking to an NPC, can unlock an event and a small, new area (currently 'called' the 'Shinto Ruins' - name may change in translations) involving it and Cynthia, which will also allow you to catch a Dialga, Palkia or Giratina (who choose which one) at level one. They know Metal Burst, Hydro Pump, and Shadow Sneak respectively.
Spoiler:

- Trading over a special event Jirachi (that is to be given out in Japan via WiFi/McDonalds with the moves Rest, Confusion, Wish and Draco Meteor, level 5 with a Leichi Berry) to HG/SS will unlock a new area related to the PokeWalker. (Apparently called 'Edge of the Night Sky').
Spoiler:

Other pictures, official artwork and videos:

Credit to serebii.net, pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss, http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ipkj/index.html, Coro Coro, Pokemon Sunday, slowkingsley and various other places for the sources of the info, videos and pictures.

Also credit to >Feelings< and Pokemon League Champion for providing many of the updated picture urls.
Old March 5th, 2010 (02:54 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Repost of the PokeWalker guide, rearranging posts and all for the soon-to-occur English release of the games.

The following is a guide on how to use the Pokewalker, written by yaminokame.

For a list of Pokemon, Items, etc obtainable in the PokeWalker Courses, check here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml

PokeWalker
By yaminokame

Accessing the PokeWalker Connection Screen: When you turn on your game (after you have played it long enough to have a save file) you will be brought to the start-up screen which has a lot of options. The option for the PokeWalker Connection Screen is among these. Here is a list of the options:
  • つづきから はじめる - Continue
  • さいしょから はじめる - Start new game
  • ポケウォーカーと せつぞく - Connect with PokeWalker
  • ふすぎな おくりもの - Mystery Gift
  • _______から つれてくる - Bring Pokemon from _______ (Once you've reached Pal-Park)
  • Wi-Fiせってい - Wi-Fi Settings
  • eメールせってい - eMail Settings

There is no way to loose your Pokemon while it is in the PokeWalker. Running out of batteries will simply make you loose steps and Watts. Your Pokemon will be safe. If you are to loose your PokeWalker, then you can restore your Pokemon back into your games. As a note, if you happen to find your PokeWalker after you have restored your Pokemon, you can not send the other one inside of the PokeWalker back to the game (essentially cloning). To get your Pokemon back if ever your PokeWalker breaks/gets lost, go the the PokeWalker Connection Screen and press & hold:
  • Up + Select + R

Once you do this, your PokeWalker will be reset and your Pokemon will go back into your box. Your Pokemon will be restored to as it originally was when you put it in the PokeWalker. If you do find your PokeWalker after you have restored your Pokemon, you need to reset the PokeWalker.

To set a PokeWalker back to it's original settings, go to the PokeWalker Connection Screen and press & hold:
  • Down + X + L

Once you have done this, either a new PokeWalker, or an old one that you reset will be able to be synced with the game as you did when you first set it up.

Once a Pokemon is in the PokeWalker, you will have two important choices that you can choose from on the PokeWalker Connection Screen (on the DS). These are:
  • Return from walk (おでかけから かえす) - This is the top (default) choice. It will take the Pokemon from the PokeWalker and return it to the game along with all other Items, caught Pokemon and Watts.
  • Receive Present (プレゼントを うけとる) - This will not return your Pokemon to the game from the PokeWalker, rather, it will return your Watts, caught Pokemon and items to the game and leave your Pokemon in the PokeWalker.

Sometimes when on a course with no Pokemon in the PokeWalker, a wild Pokemon will automatically take the role as your lead Pokemon. When this happens, you will not be able to put a Pokemon from your box into the PokeWalker until you take out the wild one that joined you. The way to do this is as follows:
  • Go on a walk (おでかけに いく) - This option is for putting a Pokemon from your box into the PokeWalker. If a wild Pokemon takes over, you will not be able to use this option until you have returned it.
  • Return from walk (おでかけから かえす) - This option will take the Pokemon in the PokeWalker out of it. If a wild Pokemon joins you when you have no lead Pokemon, you must use this button first and then use the 'go for a walk' button as listed above.
  • Receive Present (プレゼントを うけとる) - This will not return your Pokemon to the game from the PokeWalker, rather, it will return your Watts, caught Pokemon and items to the game and leave your Pokemon in the PokeWalker.

Other important information:
  • 20 steps = 1w
  • Each course has three pre-set advantaged Pokemon types.
  • Walking with a Pokemon that has an advantaged-type will bring the required steps to find a certain Pokemon down by 25%. It also appears to make rarer Pokemon easier to find.
  • Each PokeWalker course consists of three groups. Each of these groups have two Pokemon in them. When a Pokemon is sent to the PokeWalker, the PokeWalker will randomly pick one Pokemon from each group. The Pokemon that did not get randomly selected within a group will not ever appear during that walk.
  • Pokemon can only gain 1 level per walk
  • 1 exp for every step (A Pokemon will not gain any more experience once it has enough for one level, but it will continue to gain happiness)
  • Random Pokemon will fill in for the lead Pokemon sometimes if no lead Pokemon is in the PokeWalker. You will know when this happens because this speech balloon will pop-up:
  • The greater a Pokemon's happiness, the better chances are it will find a higher number of Watts for you periodically. Aside from finding Watts, a Pokemon can also find items. In order to take these found Watts/item from your Pokemon just press the center button when one of the below icons appear:
    • = 10w
    • = 20w
    • = 50w
    • = Item

Note 1: Keep in mind that sometimes even though one of the speech balloons show up doesn't always mean that they will be holding Watts or an item.

PokeRadar
ポケトレ
  • Description: The PokeRadar is one of the features available inside of the PokeWalker. Once used, you get the chance of searching for a Pokemon inside of one of four patches of grass. Once a Pokemon is found using the PokeRadar, you get into a small battle with it. Rules are very similar to that of the normal Pokemon games, you have to knock the wild Pokemon's health down to low, and then throw a Poke Ball to catch it. There are three options that you are given to battle, which are:
    • Attack (こうげき) - [Left Button] Hits the opponent to lower HP.
    • Catch (つかまえる) - [Center Button] Throw a Poke Ball in order to catch the wild Pokemon.
    • Dodge (かわす) - [Right Button] When the opponent Pokemon goes to attack, you can dodge it and do damage with a counter attack.

• There is a limit of up to three Pokemon that you can catch at a time on the PokeWalker. For any wild Pokemon that you catch after your box maxes-out at three, you will have the option of switching-out with one of your previous catches. If your Pokemon is knocked out during battle on the PokeWalker, you will loose up to 10W. Opposing Pokemon are not knocked out, if they run out of life then they run away. Here are some of the situations that might happen for each option:
    • Attack (こうげき):
      • Normal Hit (-1 Life Bar)
      • Critical Hit (-2 Life Bars)
      • Opponent Dodges
    • Dodge (かわす):
      • Counter Attack (-1 Life bar)
      • Stare-off (Neither Pokemon takes damage)
      • Opponent runs away
    • Catch (つかまえる):
      • Succeed
      • Fail (Wild Pokemon will run away if the Poke Ball fails to catch it)
  • Cost: 10W
  • Limit: 3 Pokemon

Item Finder
ダウジング

• Description: The Item Finder is another one of the many features that the PokeWalker holds. When used, you get a total of two chances to search out an item among six patches of grass. Similar to the PokeRadar, the Item Finder also holds a limit of three. You can only bring back three items at a time to the games, so once you pass the limit of three items, you have to start switching out old items for new ones if you see fit. There are one of two messages that will appear if you do not find your item the first time. They are:
    • ちかくに はんのう - Response from close (In a patch on either the direct left or right hand side)
    • とおくに はんのう - Response from far (In a patch two or more away from where you searched)
  • Cost: 3W
  • Limit: 3 items

Communication
つうしん
  • Description: If you connect to a friend's PokeWalker, you can both receive items. You are only allowed to communicate with the same friend once per day. There is a limit of ten items that you can hold when receiving items via this method. This is also the option that you use to send your Pokemon from and to the game.
  • Error Messages:
    • あいてがいません - There is nothing to communicate with (make sure you are close enough)
    • つうしんしっぱい - Failed while communicating (just retry)
  • Cost: --
  • Limit: Same friend only once per day; up to 10 items (Communication with the game is unlimited)

Information
じょうほう

• Description: This is the option to find out information about the PokeWalker's current status/owner/walking information. When you select this option, you will be brought to a screen that will have 3 lines:
    1. Trainer Name
    2. Current Course Name
    3. Current Time

• Press right up to seven times from there and you will be brought to a screen with four lines:
    1. Day (-1 ~ -7)
    2. Steps
    3. Total number of days
    4. Total steps over the number of days in line 3

Held
てもち

• Description: This is where to check what items you have and what Pokemon you have caught. Simply go through your list using left and right to see what you have.

Settings
せってい

• Description: This is the place to change either sound (left) or contrast (right) settings. Sound has 3 different settings; Mute, Medium, Loud. To change the contrast just scroll through the contrast bar until you get the contrast you like.
  • Sound
  • Contrast

For a list of Pokemon, Items, etc obtainable in the PokeWalker Courses, check here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml

Sponsored Links