Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Reload this Page Captain Fabio's Photography Gallery

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Old March 5th, 2011 (12:50 PM).
Kyle

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Captain Fabio:
Thanks for the feedback guys.
It was hard to get a good focal point when some of the drops were ahead of others. I just set the manual focus on it before I dropped the water, then just went from there! XD
That's what I was thinking, because it'd be incredibly hard for autofocus to focus correctly in the short amount of time the drops were present.
Old March 8th, 2011 (05:11 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Silver:
That's what I was thinking, because it'd be incredibly hard for autofocus to focus correctly in the short amount of time the drops were present.
I never use AF.
Well, I use to when I bought the camera, obviously, but I have learnt to use the manual focus; you get much more control and freedom.

I hope to have more pictures coming in the near future.
Old March 8th, 2011 (03:41 PM).
Kyle

I never use AF.
Well, I use to when I bought the camera, obviously, but I have learnt to use the manual focus; you get much more control and freedom.

I hope to have more pictures coming in the near future.
I'm about half and half manual versus automatic. I use auto when I'm lazy and manual when I want more control and am less lazy.
Old March 8th, 2011 (04:02 PM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

I'm about half and half manual versus automatic. I use auto when I'm lazy and manual when I want more control and am less lazy.
That is fine. We all get like that some days!
Just keep at it! :3
Old March 8th, 2011 (07:51 PM).
Kyle

That is fine. We all get like that some days!
Just keep at it! :3
Yeah, gotta admit, autofocus is nice. And sometimes I when I'm shooting film, I start to miss it after a while.
Old March 9th, 2011 (05:26 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Of course it is. You can still get lovely pictures from it.
But, if you use MF, then you get much more satisfaction from a beautiful picture that you have done, all by yourself.
Old March 9th, 2011 (01:11 PM).
Kyle

Of course it is. You can still get lovely pictures from it.
But, if you use MF, then you get much more satisfaction from a beautiful picture that you have done, all by yourself.
I completely agree, it's just sometimes you get the feeling oh, I have this utility, I might as well make use of it.

And darnit, this conversation has made me want to go shoot when instead I should be studying for exams. Damnit.
Old March 11th, 2011 (12:36 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Nothing wrong with using AF, so long as you are controlling it and not camera

s4rg10
Old March 11th, 2011 (12:37 AM).
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
I've been using AF too much lately ;_; I gotta manual it up!
Old March 11th, 2011 (07:00 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

I completely agree, it's just sometimes you get the feeling oh, I have this utility, I might as well make use of it.

And darnit, this conversation has made me want to go shoot when instead I should be studying for exams. Damnit.
It is true. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with AF.
Haha, sorrrrrrry!
Quote originally posted by s4rg10:
Nothing wrong with using AF, so long as you are controlling it and not camera
No no no, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with AF, I just think you have a lot more control in MF, because you do. I am just use to it now though. It comes with time and practise.
Quote originally posted by Kura:
I've been using AF too much lately ;_; I gotta manual it up!
YAY KURA!
Awww, well, you don't have too. I just do MF for reasons above.
Old April 19th, 2011 (01:27 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

It's a God damn promise I am starting my photography back up soon! Not long till my exams are over and then, then I can be let loose with my camera! :3
Old May 1st, 2011 (01:49 PM).

A lot of these photos are really cool. Others are funny, as well. The vantage point at which you took these pictures really adds to the shots.
Old May 25th, 2011 (03:24 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Got bored last night and started to see what I could do with a pitch black room and a lighter! XD

Spoiler:

I know I am not center and there is a slight flame glare but I think it is pretty cool and dark in a sense.
Old May 25th, 2011 (03:27 AM).
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
Did you just say dark?

It's a decent photo, it looks like the flame is burning one of your fingers though lol.
Old May 25th, 2011 (06:42 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Wow, I don't know much of photography, but some of them look really nice. Especially the one with the way traffic.
Hope you get some new ones up soon!
Old May 25th, 2011 (08:26 AM). Edited May 28th, 2011 by Captain Fabio.
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Thank you elarmasecreta and Drakow. =]

Ok, so I was playing around with my Macro Lens today and produced these two. Note, that the strange focusing was done on purpose. :3

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I love Macro photography, so fun, but it is tough at times.
Old May 27th, 2011 (03:09 PM). Edited May 27th, 2011 by Captain Fabio.
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Basic macro picture, but I think the lighting and the colour makes is something else.
Spoiler:

:::EDIT:::

Took a new one! XD
Spoiler:
Old May 28th, 2011 (04:54 AM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

I am on fire this weekend! XDD
Note, if you don't like bees, I wouldn't look!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old May 28th, 2011 (05:04 PM).
{quixotic}
Crystal Tier

Alright, I'm not going to give huge in depth comments for all of the photos, but I can see some trends going on that I can address a couple of photos to each.

Firstly, Rip-1.png, bee.jpg and bee2.jpg all are great photos. Good depth of field, nice colours and the focus is nice (bee.jpg seems to be a tad out of focus on the actual bee, but probably just because it moved or something, hard to get a clean, accurate focus). However all these photos have centred focal points. Going by the basic rule of thirds rule which I know you know, these images have either been cropped funny, or you just took them like that. While there is nothing wrong with the photo itself, the placement of the focal points and the composition is the only thing letting it down in my opinion. They just feel a bit weak and don't stand out as much as they could.

The next bunch are flower.jpg and tap.jpg. Basically, I think these images are executed nicely, nice colours and beautiful depth of field and accurate focusing, however, I think the composition again is lacking. Both of them just feel sort of boring, mainly because of the framing / how you have actually arranged everything. Firstly, I'd argue that the flower is way too big in the frame and because you have a lot of it included, but the outermost parts outside the frame, it isn't balanced and seeing a macro of just a flower and not showcasing the depth of field too much is nothing special and a little plain...

tap.jpg is the same deal, I'd try and get more of the actual tap in the frame so it feels more rounded and balanced. Also, maybe try adding artificial light to brighten parts up and make it a little more exciting. It is a little flat, not in terms of depth, just in elements. It is like background blurred, then tap + water. Try add some foreground or more elements in the background in between the furthest point and the focal.

As for book.jpg, I love these kinds of photos, however because yours does not show a quote or line that can stand by itself and remain meaningful, it is quite boring. Yes, technically it is a lovely photo and well shot, but the content is boring and doesn't connect with the viewer. It is like you saw the book open, and just took a photo wherever it was open to. It could have been so much better if you looked for a line to keep in focus that could mean something to the viewer without reading any of the rest of the page / book. Right now it is just foreign and confusing.

Hopefully that wasn't too harsh! ;)

Old May 29th, 2011 (03:46 AM). Edited May 29th, 2011 by Captain Fabio.
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by moments.:
Firstly, Rip-1.png, bee.jpg and bee2.jpg all are great photos. Good depth of field, nice colours and the focus is nice (bee.jpg seems to be a tad out of focus on the actual bee, but probably just because it moved or something, hard to get a clean, accurate focus). However all these photos have centred focal points. Going by the basic rule of thirds rule which I know you know, these images have either been cropped funny, or you just took them like that. While there is nothing wrong with the photo itself, the placement of the focal points and the composition is the only thing letting it down in my opinion. They just feel a bit weak and don't stand out as much as they could.
Hate to tell you this, but I don't crop photos. So none of these are cropped. The full size of the picture is 5028 x 3364, so that isn't cropped at all; I don't crop my photos.
Photobucket reduced the size, but the full sized versions are on my DA: http://alinthea.deviantart.com/
The next bunch are flower.jpg and tap.jpg. Basically, I think these images are executed nicely, nice colours and beautiful depth of field and accurate focusing, however, I think the composition again is lacking. Both of them just feel sort of boring, mainly because of the framing / how you have actually arranged everything. Firstly, I'd argue that the flower is way too big in the frame and because you have a lot of it included, but the outermost parts outside the frame, it isn't balanced and seeing a macro of just a flower and not showcasing the depth of field too much is nothing special and a little plain...
The reason behind these photos was to take some type of 'stock' photos. They are very simple, very basic, but can be beautiful at the same time.
tap.jpg is the same deal, I'd try and get more of the actual tap in the frame so it feels more rounded and balanced. Also, maybe try adding artificial light to brighten parts up and make it a little more exciting. It is a little flat, not in terms of depth, just in elements. It is like background blurred, then tap + water. Try add some foreground or more elements in the background in between the furthest point and the focal.
If you mean artificial lighting as a flash gun, then I know. I didn't have it on me because I am at home where it isn't.
As for book.jpg, I love these kinds of photos, however because yours does not show a quote or line that can stand by itself and remain meaningful, it is quite boring. Yes, technically it is a lovely photo and well shot, but the content is boring and doesn't connect with the viewer. It is like you saw the book open, and just took a photo wherever it was open to. It could have been so much better if you looked for a line to keep in focus that could mean something to the viewer without reading any of the rest of the page / book. Right now it is just foreign and confusing.
I know what you mean, this was the first picture I took with my new macro lens, so it is bound to be worse than the rest.
Hopefully that wasn't too harsh!
Not at all, thank you for the feedback.
I have only just got my new camera and just using the new lens, so these aren't really the most amazing pictures, so I am working on that.

Thanks though!
Old June 16th, 2011 (04:34 PM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Some new macro photography with a new lens that I got.

Leaf Droplets
Spoiler:

Shades of Green
Spoiler:
Old June 24th, 2011 (01:39 PM).
adventure seeker
Platinum Tier

I really love the first one Fab, how did you pull off such serious blurring around the edges? I've never seen it so heavy like that.
<div style="background-image: url('http://i.imgur.com/bHlfm47.gif'); background-repeat: no-repeat; height: 245px; width: 600px; font-family: 'Dosis', 'Josefin Slab', 'Open Sans', sans-serif; font-weight: 200; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing: 1px; color: #282828; padding-top: 66px; padding-left:43px; text-align: left; line-height: 15px;">
<div style="font-size: 22px;">seeker</div>
<i class="fa fa-heart-o"></i> paired to <a href="http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=67003"><span class="usergroup-mod">adventure</span></a>
<i class="fa fa-code"></i> <div class="usergroup-admin">staff administrator</div>
on a leave of absence</div>
Old June 24th, 2011 (01:47 PM).
James Sunderland
Crystal Tier

Like I told you on MSN, but I will repeat it for anyone else.

The advantage I have is I have a special Macro lens for my camera and I only use manual focusing to get that harsh depth of field!
Old June 25th, 2011 (06:12 AM).

Wow, they are so great Captain Fabio. If I had to choose one, my favorite is Falling Water, by looking at photos I feel as if the water is moving. Great!! =)
Old June 25th, 2011 (06:31 AM). Edited June 25th, 2011 by Careful With That Axe, Pichu!.

Nature: Careful
Wow, you went to Kinkaku-Ji! It's been my dream to visit that place. I take it from the pictures, you went to both Kyoto and Tokyo.

I'm off to Japan next semester, and I hope I can take pictures as nice as yours. Is there any way you can provide Exif info on the Faling Water & Shades of Green photos?

edit / just read you use a "special" macro lens for the last one, at least. May I know which lens exactly? :)

Thanks in advance.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links