Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 31st, 2009 (09:59 AM).
Reck
Supreme Overlord

Nature: Bold
Hey my friend is giving me a laptop next week at band camp... but i think it has windows 95 or something... My main computer has windows vista home premium. I am wondering if it is possible to make an install CD from my home computer to install vista on my new laptop. My home computer had vista pre-installed when it was bought.

So basically can i make an install CD from my existing computer and how?
Old July 31st, 2009 (10:55 AM). Edited July 31st, 2009 by twocows.
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Reck:
Hey my friend is giving me a laptop next week at band camp... but i think it has windows 95 or something... My main computer has windows vista home premium. I am wondering if it is possible to make an install CD from my home computer to install vista on my new laptop. My home computer had vista pre-installed when it was bought.

So basically can i make an install CD from my existing computer and how?
1. AFAIK, it's impossible to make an install CD if you don't have an install source.
2. It's illegal to use a single-license copy of Windows on more than one computer.

I can suggest a few legal alternatives:
1. Xandros is a distribution of Linux made to feel similar to a Windows installation. Unfortunately, the Home and Home Premium editions seem to be unavailable, leaving only the expensive professional edition. You can find that here if you're interested (for the most part, you can ignore the "Microsoft Patent Protection").
2. Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux designed to be relatively user friendly and easy to use. There is a great deal of free (gratis and libre) available for Ubuntu, and Ubuntu itself is also free. There are three editions you might be interested in: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu. Xubuntu is designed for older hardware in mind; there should be screenshots for each version on the linked pages.
3. Or, you could always simply buy a new Windows CD and license. If you have a relatively powerful laptop, you can get Windows Vista Home Premium or better right now (here; click the "Show Full Versions" if you do not have Windows 2000 or XP or some variant) and get a Windows 7 upgrade (more information here, FAQ here). Do a clean installation, regardless of which license you get. Or, you could wait until October 22 and buy Windows 7 on its release. If you have an older laptop, you may want to consider purchasing Windows XP (Home, Professional) or upgrading your hardware.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old July 31st, 2009 (11:03 AM).
as2
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to as2
Plus if that laptop really is that old, it won't be running Vista! Might just be able to run XP, perhaps.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links