Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
Introduction...
Hello, my name is Fan King, some might know me personally here on Pokecommunity, while other have seen my hack, my posts, and maybe none of you have heard of me XD.

Well today I decided to write a tutorial on how to manually edit the intro to a hack. AKA the part where it tells you about the adventure you going to take, blah, blah,blah. You know, the part with the little pikachu hovering at the top right corner of the screen.
yeah that's the one

well, today i'm going to show how to change it from that to this

for my hack,don't steal in any way or i'll find you o.o
p.s. check it out in the progressing hacks XD

how you do it...
so how exactly do you change this text? well you need 3 things

~a hex editor( I use Hex workshop, type it in google, and download it from the site)
~the table file, (check the attachments)
~maybe a notepad and pen
~ a whole lot of time,patience,and brains(for the zombies XD)
~VBA

so now you have your table file, your hex editor. You want to open up your rom in VBA and go to the intro thing( do i have to explain it again? XD)

so now with your table file, translate the first couple of words into what the table file says.

In the world

equals

C3E200E8DCD900EBE3E6E0D8

so copy that and search it in your hex editor,(if your using hex workshop, just press ctrl+F and then go to type under hex values). So did you get it? if you didn't, then something is very wrong O.O

so now that you found it what message do you want to put in? how about brains. brains is a good idea, then you would translate brains

brains= D6E6D5DDCD

So then you would type that in then save it. now open your rom and go to the intro and you should see this

see, now you can do it!

adding more than just "brains"...

so now you can put a word in there, but now you want more than a word. You want a whole page of it, so now just scroll down to the bottom of the table file and you should see this

FA=\l
FB=\p
FC=\c
FD=\v
FE=\n
FF=\x

is you know about scripting, then you know what these do, it's just like scripting a simle message box. so when you get to then end of the box on the screen, use FE to go down a line. so if i add FE right after brains it would look like this

so with the knowledge i told you, put what you want in the box

the 2nd and 3rd page...
now you have one page complete, your ready to move on, so you scroll down in your hex editor and you see a bunch of FF's, so your stumped. But all you need to do is translate the first couple of words, search them in your hex editor and repeat the above process. do that also with the third page

FAQ
Q: I searched the translated text in the hex editor, and it said it wasn't found!
A: Either you made a problem in translating, typing it out, or are searching for the wrong. Or maybe you put too long of a search text in the box.

Q: I found the letters in the hex editor and changed them, but when I ran the rom, the text wasn't changed!
A: Your search came up with another result that wasn't the data you need. translate a couple more words, then search it again.

Please criticize my method with constructive criticism. Also if there's anything you find that has a problem with you, PM me.

Credit to hackmew for getting me the table file

Attached Files
File Type: txt Table File.txt‎ (1.0 KB, 677 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by hashtag; April 15th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Matteron (96)
Difference is everything...

Wouldn't it be easier just using A-text...oh wait for some people it doesn't work...Well, I won't be using this method, because I find it easier with A-text, but I guess this could be useful because the way you put makes it seem simple...Actually I might use this...
Matteron(96)
Currently Playing--->
Progress: Post-Game
Current Team:

In Terms of Hacking...
Favorite ROM
Skills
Working On
In Terms of Game Dev...
Working On
News
I'm currently up for hire, for almost anything in ROM hacking, so just send me a PM.
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:09 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteron (96) View Post
Wouldn't it be easier just using A-text...oh wait for some people it doesn't work...Well, I won't be using this method, because I find it easier with A-text, but I guess this could be useful because the way you put makes it seem simple...Actually I might use this...
Yeah, thats why i posted the tut, some have problems. but i didnt know you could edit this part with a text, maybe im blind XD
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM
payas0
Beginning Trainer

i like it ..
i reall preffer hex in hacking ..
hex is so flexible ..
thanks ..
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Matteron (96)
Difference is everything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan King View Post
Yeah, thats why i posted the tut, some have problems. but i didnt know you could edit this part with a text, maybe im blind XD
Ya you have to search for the text...
Matteron(96)
Currently Playing--->
Progress: Post-Game
Current Team:

In Terms of Hacking...
Favorite ROM
Skills
Working On
In Terms of Game Dev...
Working On
News
I'm currently up for hire, for almost anything in ROM hacking, so just send me a PM.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Modest
I tried searching for the text in A-text and it didn't work. I could only get the controls text. So your theory doesn't work for everybody, Mattero (96).
Paired with Druyii.
Old August 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Ya you have to search for the text...
well, obviously that didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
I tried searching for the text in A-text and it didn't work. I could only get the controls text. So your theory doesn't work for everybody, Mattero (96).
That my problem too, so that why I made up this method, and this can also work for any text in the rom, so just search and edit it, its that easy
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Nature: Naive
C3E200E8DCD900EBE3E6E0D8 is just coming up as ......

What'd I do wrong?
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:53 AM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Hey! Great to see someone finally getting to this subject!
I gotta hand it to ya, you have made a pretty nice little tutorial here.
I only have one big suggestion.
You should change the .doc file to a .txt, since not everyone can open up .doc files.
(Like if someone does not have Microsoft word, or can't install it because of paranoid parents.)

I have taken the liberty of doing this for you.

Table File.txt

There we go, I prefer .txt files, and so do some people, I'm just helping out.
>Boot Jailbot
>Pass *****
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
C3E200E8DCD900EBE3E6E0D8 is just coming up as ......

What'd I do wrong?
nothing's wrong, I don't know what those symbols mean, probably some code. Just search translated letters and replace what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
Hey! Great to see someone finally getting to this subject!
I gotta hand it to ya, you have made a pretty nice little tutorial here.
I only have one big suggestion.
You should change the .doc file to a .txt, since not everyone can open up .doc files.
(Like if someone does not have Microsoft word, or can't install it because of paranoid parents.)

I have taken the liberty of doing this for you.

Attachment 48559

There we go, I prefer .txt files, and so do some people, I'm just helping out.
Thanks for this, Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna update the attachments with this file
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
mat1554
French Translator

Nature: Calm
Hi,
I have a question for you, do you give me autorization to translate your tutorial in french for my forum please ? I you want, can you answer me by MP please.

Thank you !
Mat1554
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
pukemon09
Beginning Trainer

I will try this sir thanks for sharing your ideas
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan King View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrroo View Post
Hm, there is a way to edit this text without doing this method.

Like Matteron (96) said, there is a way to do it with Advance-Text.

- Open Advance Text
- Click the Magnifying Glass with the word Search next to it.
- Then, search for 'In the world you are about to'

Now, you should see the whole text! continue with..

- Now click 'Write to INI'
- Write a new Section (For Example, I will write a new one called 'Before Intro')

- Now write the 'Text Name' (Um, I wrote this as 'intro 1')
- Now click 'Add to INI' and close it.

If you made a new section name, it should be all the way at the bottom.
After the 'Start Menu'..
You can also do this to the (L + R) Help Section thing..

Ok, that's about all! :]

NOTE: CREATE A BACKUP BEFORE DOING THIS!!
Okay...*akward silence*, and you posted this because? I quoted above that maybe for some people it doesn't work, as there is always the bunch of people that things may not work for them, so then what do they do? And if this was a tutorial for advance text, then you would use advance text, so please delete your post.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
jrroo
Working on De Puzzle.

Hmkay, sorry about that..
I'm really sorry ><"

I didn't read it properly.. I'm very very sorry!!
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Nash Bandicoot
Dingodile use Flamethrower!

Nature: Calm
I have never used Hex workshop before so i don't really know what I am doing. do you open up VBA or fire red/leaf green in Hex workshop? PLZ HELP!
'One man armed with the right word may do what an army of swordsmen cannot'- Robbin Hobb
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke'boy View Post
I have never used Hex workshop before so i don't really know what I am doing. do you open up VBA or fire red/leaf green in Hex workshop? PLZ HELP!
Yeah, it as simple as opening anything else, just file-open, your rom. then just go Ctrl+F to open up the search function and copy+paste what you want searched.
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Maxzeroedge
Ready for simply anything

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Maxzeroedge Send a message via Skype™ to Maxzeroedge
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke'boy View Post
Open the ROM (Firered/leafgreen) in Hex workshop as that's what u wanna edit not VBA :D
Life is simply awesome
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
herbeon
Beginning Trainer

Great tutorial! By the way, do you have the table file for Emerald? I want to try on Emerald.
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Modest
hmm might actually do this sometime soon (like as I said befor A-text sometimes doesn't work with the intro)
Paired with Druyii.
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:24 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbeon View Post
Great tutorial! By the way, do you have the table file for Emerald? I want to try on Emerald.
Hmm, I'm sure there is one. I'll do a little google searching and edit this post when I find it.
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Chevalier
Réveiller

Nature: Adamant
Ah! Finally.

I'm sure there were other tuts beforehand but I was waiting for a recent tut to be made.

Easy to read and helpful, thanks.
Dat New New Is Here

Check The Thread
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Instead of wasting your time translating each individual character into hexadecimal, why not do this:
1. Get an actual table file (not just a .txt document with a hex value next to corresponding character) like this one (credit: thethethethe for the values, me for wasting my time making it in WindHex so y'all don't have to)
2. Load the ROM and the table file in a hex editor
3. Do a text search (not a hex search!) for the text
4. Edit in "Text Edit Mode", or the equivalent in whatever hex editor you're using

With this method, you can just type your text straight up. Of course, you'll still have to insert line breaks and the like yourself but it sure beats your method :\
Attached Files
File Type: zip table.tbl.zip‎ (812 Bytes, 135 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Brother of Vrai
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
Instead of wasting your time translating each individual character into hexadecimal, why not do this:
1. Get an actual table file (not just a .txt document with a hex value next to corresponding character) like this one (credit: thethethethe for the values, me for wasting my time making it in WindHex so y'all don't have to)
4. Edit in "Text Edit Mode", or the equivalent in whatever hex editor you're using

With this method, you can just type your text straight up. Of course, you'll still have to insert line breaks and the like yourself but it sure beats your method :\

Ohh, thanks colcolstyles! I know my methods aren't the best or the most efficient, but there just the ways I thought up . So, everybody looking for another alternative, use colcolstyles method xD
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:34 AM
lavenderbolt
Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to lavenderbolt
Quote:
Hmm, I'm sure there is one. I'll do a little google searching and edit this post when I find it.
well, you don't have to search anymore, that table.tbl of Colcostyles is usable for Emerald, i had made the file and then found that there has already been one available hm...
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM
novluis323
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post

okay well i opened the hex editor i'm using hex workshop and i have the table file what im not getting how to do is the text search when i go to find i make sure to set it to find text strings then i type what im looking for but it only says it doesnt find anything i also didnt understand what u meant by text edit mode
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here