The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM
AMT's Avatar
AMT
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Either it just doesn't exist or I'm not looking hard enough... is there or is there not a development kit for 2nd generation?
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:17 AM
the__end's Avatar
the__end
Pixel Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT View Post
Either it just doesn't exist or I'm not looking hard enough... is there or is there not a development kit for 2nd generation?
uhm with essentials you can do any generation of pokemon game you know? <.<
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
>Get Essentials
>Get tilesets for 2nd Gen
>Insert
>Get all sprites
>Insert
>All overworlds
>Insert

Job done.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Blue Emerald's Avatar
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Actually, I'd like some answers to this, as well. While it's true that you can simply implement the graphical assets to make it look like the GB games, just how accurately can you get it to emulate the GBC? For example, I haven't seen scanline-based effects shown in any game built on RMXP -- effects like the ones used for Double Team, Surf, Psychic, Transform, Confusion, and Hydro Pump, and each one has their own method of distorting sprites. So, I don't know if these effects are possible on RMXP. Are they?

Also, how accurately can you emulate the sound chip used for .GBS audio? I could do something as simple as playing an .mp3 of a GB track, but what I'd rather do is play each channel of the music separately so certain sound effects can mute specific audio channels when they play, just like in the GB games. It would be even easier if there were a .GBS audio codec that could be supported somehow by RMXP.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
If you know what to do, obviously, alot of that can be achieved.
As for your sound thing. I'm not sure about the actualy sound chip. I think you could very easily rip the sounds from the game though.
__________________
gone.

Last edited by Nintendork15; October 24th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:52 AM
lmdst's Avatar
lmdst
Blast From the Past
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 24
Does Essentials/RMXP allow for specific soundfonts to be used with your midis? That would make looping etc. a lot more manageable. (But it wouldn't block sound channels on sound effects right away - though I fail to see why anyone would consider that important to reproduce)
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
If you're good at applying soundfonts to MIDI's in FruityLoops, you can do that. Just FruityLoops can only export as .mp3, which can be used in RPG Maker XP, unnless you buy the full version.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Zephyr+'s Avatar
Zephyr+
Oripoke
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
If you're dead set on making a second-gen-style game, you'd probably be better off hacking Gold or Silver. I do want to point out that Super Pokemon Eevee Edition has a second gen aesthetic, although the battle system is different from a traditional Pokemon game.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Undertaker. Co.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
SPEE was more of a Final Fantasy x Pokemon Crossover. Which explains the battle system, and the music is not GB. It uses the default MIDI XG soundfont.
__________________
gone.
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Blue Emerald's Avatar
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr+ View Post
If you're dead set on making a second-gen-style game, you'd probably be better off hacking Gold or Silver.
Not if you intend to add double battles. =P

That's why I'm asking all these questions. I just don't want to spend $30 on RMXP for Essentials only to discover that there's something I can't do on it that ruins my chances at creating a faithful recreation of the GB style. I want to create something that looks and sounds like a GB hack, but can do things the GB games can't do, such as double battles, contests, and support for all the Pokemon up to Gen IV.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Pia Carrot's Avatar
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Alright well. I've been working on What I call Crystal XP for a while, but it broke on the revision that was based off of Essentials 7. I decided to wait until 10 came out before I started working on it again (meaning I will have some progress to show soon).

The thing is, with a Gameboy Color sized screen, double battles aren't exactly plausible due to the lack of space. Gold and Silver are already extremely compact in menus and battles. Also, you can apply assembly to have more than 256 Pokémon in a hack :p

And I don't think Essentials has any support for contests. Not to mention the Status screen in GSC has no room for contest moves.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Blue Emerald's Avatar
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
The thing is, with a Gameboy Color sized screen, double battles aren't exactly plausible due to the lack of space. Gold and Silver are already extremely compact in menus and battles. Also, you can apply assembly to have more than 256 Pokémon in a hack :p.
Don't worry; I figured out how to make that work.

Here's a mock-up:


And for attacks where one Pokemon is getting hit, my plan is this: the two Pokemon that aren't in the fight would just fade out temporarily (with a palette-based effect/animation) before the attack, then the other two would center themselves so the attack animation would work as intended; the attacked Pokemon would then take its damage, and then these two would return to their usual positions and the other two would fade back into place. This way, there won't need to be different animations depending on the positions of the Pokemon, which will keep things from getting too unrealistic.

Also, the HP bars are 16px smaller for space reasons, but I would imagine that could be easily overcome, and that making a new HP bar just for double battles shouldn't be too much trouble.

In the case of contests, that's fine if it hasn't been implemented. I won't need to do anything with that right now; it's not a big deal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Pia Carrot's Avatar
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Emerald View Post
Don't worry; I figured out how to make that work.

Here's a mock-up:


And for attacks where one Pokemon is getting hit, my plan is this: the two Pokemon that aren't in the fight would just fade out temporarily (with a palette-based effect/animation) before the attack, then the other two would center themselves so the attack animation would work as intended; the attacked Pokemon would then take its damage, and then these two would return to their usual positions and the other two would fade back into place. This way, there won't need to be different animations depending on the positions of the Pokemon, which will keep things from getting too unrealistic.

Also, the HP bars are 16px smaller for space reasons, but I would imagine that could be easily overcome, and that making a new HP bar just for double battles shouldn't be too much trouble.

In the case of contests, that's fine if it hasn't been implemented. I won't need to do anything with that right now; it's not a big deal.
Absolutely love that Mockup. I'm sure with some scripting it could be easily accomplished. The font however I'm not so sure about @__@ The GSC font has always struggled with me, along with the Essentials textbox since I can't force it to display two lines at the correct height.
__________________



Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.