Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > PC Events > PokéCommunity Get-Together 2009
Reload this Page PokéCommunity's Small Writing Contest!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

PokéCommunity Get-Together 2009 Backup of everything from the Get-Together 2009.

Old August 23rd, 2009 (08:45 PM).
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Kleinchen:
I hope everyone posts their fics in the FF section, I really want to see everyone's entries. -nosy- C: I'll certainly be posting mine once the contest is over and the winners have been announced. :D
I'd guess once the contest is over most participants will publish their stories because from what I've followed in the conversations they have managed to call each other's attention. It would also be nice, "hey I have this story I wrote for a contest, here you have it with all my heart". You know? I'm going to post mine like that.

It would also be interesting to get the reviews from the judges there but that's another point.

Now that I submitted my entry I've been nervous all day thinking that I rushed myself and submitted one day too early (I was not going to be available on Monday anyways). But it also has made me think about what kind of stories other people wrote and that it will add to the sense of appreciation once I get to read them.
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old August 23rd, 2009 (09:40 PM).
by fire be P U R G E D
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
DOUBLE ANNOUNCEMENT

1) I added a contestants section to the first post. Know your competition and cower in fear, my pretties.

2) DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRIES IN THE FF SECTION! After talking to Asty, we have agreed to start a thread in the Writers Lounge where I will post all of the entries. Astinus has already agreed to keep the thread stickied for a month or two, so don't worry about people never seeing it. You wanted an honorable mention, you've got it.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old August 23rd, 2009 (09:47 PM).
The Invisible!

Location: Within the synapses of the internet and my own mind.
Send a message via AIM to Shrike Flamestar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shrike Flamestar
Whee, proofreading is done. Since it's late I'm going to wait until tomorrow to submit though, giving me a little more time to think about changing some things. I may even proofread again.

With this proofreading I decided to actually read it out loud, which has its benefits and drawbacks. It helps me to best get the overall feel of the story, and there's no way better to guarantee that the flow is fluent and what I want. However, it's pretty much crap for catching smaller grammatical errors and typos, so I may proofread again the normal way, in my head. Reading aloud is fun though and really gets me into character. I've always wondered what I'd be like as a voice actor. I don't have much variability to my voice, but then again I've heard plenty of professionals who don't either.

So yeah, especially after reading it like this I do like it, however I'm a bit concerned that not everyone will. I guess that's a risk you have to take with anything you write. Also, after reading I can say that the violence isn't too bad in itself, it's the actual method of violence that's the worst. Still, it's not all too bad and while I'll give it an R to be safe, it's definitely not as R as Haunting is.

Good luck to anyone else who hasn't finished yet. :D

Edit: Ninja'D... Personally, I'd prefer it if we could post our own threads. I'm guessing the concerns are that there'd be a flood of threads, perhaps pushing some fics off the page leaving some entries to go unread. A possible solution to this would be to have a stickied index of entries, adding them to the index after the author posts it assuming they want to post it.

I like having my own thread as, for one, any replies to my fic are easier to read. In such a combined thread, all replies would be mixed up, jumbled, and generally impersonal. To people who don't regularly post fanfics the combined thread might not be a problem, but to us dedicated fanfic writers a combined thread would just be awkward.
Old August 23rd, 2009 (10:11 PM).

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Quote originally posted by Shrike Flamestar:
Edit: Ninja'D... Personally, I'd prefer it if we could post our own threads. I'm guessing the concerns are that there'd be a flood of threads, perhaps pushing some fics off the page leaving some entries to go unread. A possible solution to this would be to have a stickied index of entries, adding them to the index after the author posts it assuming they want to post it.

I like having my own thread as, for one, any replies to my fic are easier to read. In such a combined thread, all replies would be mixed up, jumbled, and generally impersonal. To people who don't regularly post fanfics the combined thread might not be a problem, but to us dedicated fanfic writers a combined thread would just be awkward.
I'm sure those are all the exact concerns the various admins have and us frequenters of the FFaP section should have.

It may seem like that thread will end up being nothing more than a bloated list of our entries, but in reality it'll be more a thread that showcases each story one after the other... Almost like logging onto Barnes and Noble and scrolling down, seeing story after story with reviews applied to each. It's very much a Hall of Fame comparable to the Pokemon games, so I'm both thrilled and honored to have mine in a thread with so many others that have done an excellent job and given me a fun experience rather than in a lonely, arrogant thread of my own.
Old August 23rd, 2009 (10:14 PM).
Time cannot e r a s e

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Gummy:
DOUBLE ANNOUNCEMENT

1) I added a contestants section to the first post. Know your competition and cower in fear, my pretties.

2) DO NOT POST YOUR ENTRIES IN THE FF SECTION! After talking to Asty, we have agreed to start a thread in the Writers Lounge where I will post all of the entries. Astinus has already agreed to keep the thread stickied for a month or two, so don't worry about people never seeing it. You wanted an honorable mention, you've got it.
OMG THATS AWESOME!

So lime will be on display?

:DD

VII. The Luna Diviner ohay there wiiassul p gu rfiller
Theme by// Lightning ♥ away filler you mean little girl plyschool :C
Paired to//Amachi
go filler you ♥mean little girl loves little x3:C
Pimps with//SilverSmeargleSplatter ♥ away fller you meafailo3on

Old August 23rd, 2009 (10:48 PM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Thanks Asti, Gumy and Bay, I can't wait to read everyone elses. Also would adscussion thread accompany the sticky too, so as for all posts and fics to get muddled. I suppose it could be done after too, but an 'author's notes' section might help to clarify things.
Old August 23rd, 2009 (11:07 PM).
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
*curses at heavens 'cuz won't be here tomorrow *

Well, about what Feign and Redstar said. A "SWC Compilation Thread" seems a nice idea to me. Or an index thread, but that would require that the other authors have already posted their stories. If the sudden flooding of the PFF&P(&S) is much of an issue, maybe the main one, maybe a sort of compromise can be reached by making instant-use of the Completed Fics section? (Then again, I am bound to be wrong assuming everyone's submission will turn out to be one-shots...)

I'm not sure what's the best protocol to avoid flooding yet allow external reviews in this case so I'll simply trust our local current temporary thematic Trinity, AlfaBetaGamma (Asti&Bay&Gummy) in this one. After all, if the push for reviews is too strong, there's always PMs...

Now, I'll have to disappear for a while so I want to wish the other contestants the second best of lucks (hey, cut me some slack, I'm a contestant too! ), thank the staffers for this nice weekend event, and call of my bet on reviews to save the organizers the shudders... :D
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old August 23rd, 2009 (11:08 PM).
The Invisible!

Send a message via AIM to Shrike Flamestar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shrike Flamestar
Oh, that's something I completely forgot to mention. Author's Notes. Anyone who's read one of my fics, especially TFC or TRINITY, knows that I have a tendency to ramble a lot about some of the "development" aspects and how it all came to be, changes made over the course of writing, my inspiration, and so on. I doubt anyone really cares but it just makes me happy to put all that little behind the scenes info in there for those who are that interested in my writing process. There has to be a way for me to get that in...

I suppose one of the reasons I'm somewhat against the compiled thread idea is simply that I am so anal about formatting and presentation and how my writing is posted and everything. I'm a control freak. Take that control away from me and put it in someone else's hands and I'll worry to no end about it being messed up or something when it's posted. I don't see individual threads or wanting them as being arrogant, it's just what I'm comfortable with and it makes me uncomfortable having to go outside what I'm used to. I'll go along with it if I must, I trust Astinus' decisions in these matters, but I just ask that the author be allowed at least some control in how their story is posted.

On another note, I still need to think of a title for this. I have no clue what to use. Using "time" or "insanity" as a base hasn't really lead to much...
Old August 23rd, 2009 (11:15 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2009 by Bay Alexison.
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
solovino, it's supposed to be AlphaBetaGamma, unless that's the way Alpha is spelled where you live. ; Nice, though. I love math, so yeah. XD;

I think there's a sorority/fraternity named that at my university. XD;

Anyways, concerning the entries being in one thread idea, I thought about it for some time. I'm also incline to say maybe it's better to have the posters post it on their own instead. Maybe the poster don't want to post their story yet because they want it edited, like how a lot of people at past Serebii contests did. After the results, they would edit the story before posting it. One other thing is I wonder how the reviews will work if all the entries are in one thread instead of separate ones. However, I trust Astinus and Gummy on this if they believe what they're planning now would work.

Current FF&W Challenges and Discussions
Flash Fiction Week #13
Genre of the week (Crime) and How do you develop your characters?
2015 Writing Blitz Challenge(Coming soon!)

[The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime] [Cousin]
Old August 24th, 2009 (04:58 AM).
by fire be P U R G E D
Gold Tier

Okay, after reading your thoughts on the idea, I guess it wouldn't hurt for you guys to post your own threads and get individual help. However, I don't think this means we have to give up on my plan, and this way everyone gets what they want. If you do end up posting a thread, I will simply link to it so all reviews can be directed to said thread. On a side not, deadline in exactly 15 hours.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old August 24th, 2009 (05:13 AM).
a.k.a: ethan.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
I'll try to send mine during lunch tomorrow. Looks like I'll be doing something other than schoolwork in the morning.
Let's hope to god I get to finish it, or it won't make sense.
Old August 24th, 2009 (06:04 AM).
Worthless

Nature: Calm
Done and submitted. I just hope it's good enough.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old August 24th, 2009 (08:50 AM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Okay, after reading your thoughts on the idea, I guess it wouldn't hurt for you guys to post your own threads and get individual help. However, I don't think this means we have to give up on my plan, and this way everyone gets what they want. If you do end up posting a thread, I will simply link to it so all reviews can be directed to said thread. On a side not, deadline in exactly 15 hours.
Ohhh so you'd still have the amalgamated contest thread, but if someone wanted to have their own thread for their fic, that instead of c/ping the fic, you'd have a new link to the thread with the fic instead?

Also, should we have [SWC] in front of our fic, for clarification? (for the lone threads I mean)
Old August 24th, 2009 (09:28 AM).
Not a Baygel

Quote originally posted by Feign:
Ohhh so you'd still have the amalgamated contest thread, but if someone wanted to have their own thread for their fic, that instead of c/ping the fic, you'd have a new link to the thread with the fic instead?

Also, should we have [SWC] in front of our fic, for clarification? (for the lone threads I mean)
I think that's what Gummy meant, so maybe yeah.

On your second question, I would say go for it.

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old August 24th, 2009 (10:44 AM). Edited August 24th, 2009 by txteclipse.
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
On a side not, deadline in exactly 15 hours.
Whoa, wait, really? When you said there were 27 hours left, that would have put the deadline at 10 p.m. my time. If it's really 15 hours from that last post, then that means it ends at 9 p.m. tonight for me. Which is it? An hour can make a lot of difference when you're a procrastinator.
Old August 24th, 2009 (10:52 AM).
Not a Baygel

txtclipse, that is an early post, so ten minutes from now, it'll be 9 hours until the deadline. And also, noticed that both of us are in the same timezone, so yeah, entries are due 9pm that time for you. Another all nighter doing the reviews for me! XD

Flash Fiction Week #13

Old August 24th, 2009 (10:52 AM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

It is 11:59 EST, so 8 hours and 59 minutes I think. Cause currently it is almost 3pm there.

Edit: Ninja'd!
Old August 24th, 2009 (10:53 AM).
Dancing rain

Nature: Impish
I'm dropping out. I won't make it in time. And I have writer's block.
Old August 24th, 2009 (10:54 AM).
Across the eons...
Gold Tier

Well crap. I get off of work at nine. Guess I'll have to finish up in two hours. ;_;
Old August 24th, 2009 (10:56 AM).
The Invisible!

It's 11:59 eastern time, so 10:59 central (my time), 9:59 mountain, and 8:59 pacific. I see now that I was ninja'D but I'll keep that there for people in different time zones anyway.

Doesn't matter to me now though as I just PMed my entry to Gummy. :D Just under 6 pages and 3500 words, so not too short but not too long in my opinion either. I did end up proofreading it again but hardly found any grammatical errors or typos. They must be hiding from me... <_< I did end up changing a handful of things, though, so it wasn't a waste. The final title I decided on if anyone's interested is "Three-Sixteen".

Glad to see that a compromise between the two posting possibilities was made, especially as I just thought of another reason I want my own thread (or post at least): to be able to edit in fixes to typos and such that people point out. Speaking of which, I still have some in the latest chapter of TRINITY I need to fix...
Old August 24th, 2009 (10:58 AM).
Clain
Platinum Tier

Speaking of titles, I decided with 'The Magnet Board'

(not it has nothing to do with electric or steel Pokemon).

I'm excited however, as to when we'll get to see everyone's entry, and eventually the winner.
Old August 24th, 2009 (11:01 AM).
It's "I Come Anon"

Well, since txty's work is apparently going to be rushed, I might actually have a chance of winning now!

Wait, Shrike turned his in. Damn, I guess I can still hope for 2nd place.

EDIT:

Since everyone seems to be posting their titles now, mine's "There's Always Tomorrow."

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 7 chapters, ongoing

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place), Back in the Day (SWC 2014 1st place)

Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old August 24th, 2009 (01:09 PM).
Oops.

I just finished mine. It's a little short story, 1 page long. Do I just PM it to Gummy?

Platinum Friend Code: 4855 4904 6090 - Wanna battle? Trade? I'm all for it!

I support:
Spoiler:
Old August 24th, 2009 (01:22 PM).
by fire be P U R G E D
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Giratar:
I just finished mine. It's a little short story, 1 page long. Do I just PM it to Gummy?
As the first post clearly says, I want all stories PMed to me and only me. I will handle forwarding it to other judges. Do not post it in here.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old August 24th, 2009 (02:26 PM).
Silver Tier

gah, well, im almost done editing and revising, if i get it dont in 2 hours, will that be okay.

Title: The Calamity
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links