For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén

Old 1 Week Ago (8:38 AM).
Platinum Tier
Nature: Impish
I realized recently that I never really use them. I may have used a Bibarel once or twice in a Diamond run but that's probably it. Do you ever save a party slot for an HM Slave, or do you tend to distribute HMs among your entire party? Also, which Pokémon do you most commonly use as slaves?

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (8:49 AM).
Blathering Fool
Nature: Lax
Whenever I'm doing a first play through of a game I always make sure to have slot open for an HM slave. It's annoying but necessary. While playing through OR, I have a Azumarill named Riley that I use for my HM slave. It currently has Dive, Waterfall, Strength, and Rock Smash, those are pretty much the only HM's I use anyways. I have Surf on my Gorebyss since that's its Sweeping STAB move, so there's no reason to have it on my HM slave.
Masters of Hoenn

"Somewhere off in a distant world, an island exists, where the ocean only meets the sand, where the weather is always warm. An adventure begins, traveling from the vast lands into the deep seas, chasing into the heart of the tropics, where the plants are vibrant and the beasts are fantastic. We will find each other there, chasing the fleeting dreams of a land full of beauty and potential."
Old 1 Week Ago (9:24 AM).
yay ~
Nature: Quiet
I always use some Zigzagoon or Bidoof as HM and Item pickup slave.
Old 1 Week Ago (9:40 AM).
Utsukushi Hinode
Silver Tier
Nature: Adamant
I haven't really used a HM slave in a while, I usually distribute the HMs throughout my party seeing as some of them can be decent moves. In the case that one of my Pokemon knows a useless HM, I'll just have it forgotten when it gets to the point where I no longer have a use for it.
Old 1 Week Ago (12:29 PM).
black and white ★
Nature: Relaxed
I needed to use Bibarel to climb Mt. Coronet in Platinum recently, so yes I do. HMs really bother me so I'm hoping they're a lot more redundant in Sun and Moon.

Old 1 Week Ago (12:44 PM).
Never, except that one time in heartgold when I traded over a lv100 Bibarel which I kept since I didn't have any water types to teach surf too. It also helped me defeat Lance I usually keep the HM's up until the Pokémon league, which I then fly back to the move deleter and re-teach their old moves. It seems like a lot of effort but XY/ORAS was the first time I was able to have a 6 Pokémon team so I wanted to make the best of it

Old 1 Week Ago (1:34 PM).
Capture On!
Nature: Adamant
I use HM Slaves when dealing with weak moves like Rock Smash and Cut, but sometimes I teach the better moves like Surf to my main Pokemon, rather than having to leave one of my best Pokemon in the box to make space for a slave.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:55 PM).
can i get my flow back?
Crystal Tier
It depends on the playthrough really! Like I really don't like having them but at the same time giving members of my team moves like Cut and Rock Smash really ticks me off. I hate having to take up a slot in my team with one too - it kinda makes me want the idea of no more HM's be a thing. Kinda like in Ash Gray where you get a surfboard to Surf and like an axe to cut. I'd really miss Surf, Waterfall and maybe Strength but that's about it.

Old 1 Week Ago (8:08 PM).
how unfortunate
Team LeaderCS
Nature: Timid
I prefer the term buddies. lol Anyway, I definitely use them. Some HMs don't bother me, like Surf, Fly, Strength, and Waterfall (if this is gen IV and beyond since there's no physical/special split before then) but I tend to just stick them on other Pokemon instead, especially in newer games where there are so many better moves to choose from.

i might not be flawless but you know i gotta diamond heart
team leader | paired to klippy

Old 1 Week Ago (10:59 PM).
Is running out of interesting things to say here
I've used HM slaves a total of 3 times. One was in AS regular playthrough, where I had a Skarmory as a fly slave, as none of my mons could fly. As seen in JBGD, I had a Sentret cut slave, as somehow all my 1st encounters can't learn cut. I had a normal HM slave for my very first Black 2 nuzrun, but I forgot who it was and it doesn't matter as the run is over.

Joshua's Blazed Glazed Defrazed!

(Updated 19/10) Update 18: If there was something

(Update 17/10) Update 16: Damage and shame

Old 1 Week Ago (3:16 AM).
Usually, I prefr not to have to use HM moves on the main party. Maybe Waterfall. It depends, one that can use most HM moves is useful, and maybe also a Water-type.
Old 1 Week Ago (5:00 AM).
Last Shadow
Nature: Docile
I rarely use HM slaves, but I only use Surf or Fly and not even bother with Cut or Strength since those are just normal-type HMs and cut just nerfed of Scratch reason for this I use travel HM slave instead of shortcut or puzzle HMs

♥Pair: Starrywindy♥
Old 1 Week Ago (5:13 AM).
ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff
Nature: Quirky
Nope, no HM slaves for me. I prefer to structure my team so that I have any HM slots that I need taken care of. The closest I probably came to one was when I used a Swanna in Black 2 for Fly and Surf.
mod github pair
Old 1 Week Ago (5:29 AM).
super mod(el)
Team LeaderCS
Nature: Bold
I'm very guilty of using HM slaves allll the time. I don't really like keeping them in my party though because it feels like such a waste of a slot, so sometimes I've taught Cut to mons on my main team. Ugh.
Old 4 Days Ago (12:50 PM). Edited 4 Days Ago by Lostsoulofmadness.
Nature: Lonely
HM slave gyarados is my favorite one to use out of them all

I dont know why i just like using him a lot

Though i prefer not keeping them in my team most of this time
Because i want to keep room free for my main team
Old 3 Days Ago (3:12 PM).
forever dreaming
ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff
I'd very much like to have two more open slots for far more useful members of my party than having HM slaves occupy those spaces.

For a large portion of Platinum, I had to catch an Onix just for Rock Smash. And then I ditched Onix and taught Rock Smash to Floatzel along with Surf and Strength, and I have to teach it Waterfall, too. It's frustrating.

And I have a Noctowl in my team that does absolutely nothing but Fly and Defog. Sigh.

like sandcastles against the tide.

Old 2 Days Ago (7:07 AM).
Nintendo is for awesome people
I use HM slaves, because most HM's are really bad moves. Pokemon that I generally use as HM slaves include Linoone, Bibarel, Tropius, and Psyduck.

The only good HM moves in my opinion are Surf, Fly, and Waterfall. Those moves I can have on my main team members. Especially Surf since I tend to use a special attacking Water type in most games that I play. But sometimes I use a physical Water type, and then I use an HM slave for Surf as well.

Come play The Great Pokemon Battle 4!
Old 1 Day Ago (3:16 PM).
Electric Jacket
Not really. Every once and awhile I might need a move like Rock Climb or Whirlpool, but other than the random or odd obstacle I don't have much use for them.
Old 1 Day Ago (4:13 AM).
Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Nature: Naughty
I use HM slaves if there is a need for one.
Old 11 Hours Ago (2:38 AM).
Crystal Tier
Nature: Quirky
I used some in Sinnoh since I hated all the HM requirements in those games. I am excited that Poke Ride in Sun & Moon is the final nail in the coffin for these mostly useless moves.
Old 9 Hours Ago (5:20 AM).
Ï ¢æñńøť $€³
Nature: Bashful
Kyogre was my HM slave late in ORAS. It sucked.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links