Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central

Old 6 Days Ago (12:00 PM).
forever dreaming
ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Quiet
Do you prefer trading evolutions, evolutions by level, or evolutions by stone? :o

Or perhaps you prefer evolutions through happiness? Share your opinions on your favourite and least favourite methods of evolving your Pokemon!

like sandcastles against the tide.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 6 Days Ago (12:02 PM).
Melody of the Sky~
Gold Tier

Nature: Gentle
To be honest, I do really love when Pokemon level up from friendship/happiness. It's adorable, and makes the game more realistic in a sense because you actually have to put more effort in to ensure they evolve when you want them to.

My least favorite is probably trading, especially trading while holding a certain item. I don't know why, just really annoying in my opinion.

fairy type friend safari, add me!
3652-1611-2614

Old 6 Days Ago (12:34 PM).
black and white ★
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Favourite: Stone
Least favourite: Happiness

I know that sounds lazy but I can never be motivated to train a Pokemon up that requires maximum happiness to evolve. Even worse when it has to be at a specific time of the day. I have done this on a couple of occasions for those Pokemon that I reaaally want such as Crobat or Espeon.
Old 6 Days Ago (12:51 PM).
Shiny Collector

Favourite: Stone

Least favourite: Trading while holding an item. I never have anyone to trade with other than myself and GTS is only good for getting trade evolutions that don't require items because you're not guaranteed to get a Pokemon with the item you need.
Old 6 Days Ago (3:53 PM).
forever dreaming

I think my favourite way is the easiest way (to me, at least): by level. :P Not a hassle, just simple grinding to get to a certain level to evolve your Pokemon, simple as that, really!

I dislike trade evolutions, mostly because I don't really have a lot of people I can trade with. It really puts me in a weird predicament whenever I really like a Pokemon and I want to have it on my team, but in order to evolve, it needs to be traded. It's just really annoying.

Evolving by stone is also something that's... off to me. Mostly because my timing has to be right whenever I evolve the Pokemon; this is because after you evolve a Pokemon by stone; they usually don't learn many (if any) moves afterwards, so you have to pick and choose what movesets you want and you're essentially locked in with stone evos and iirc normally your Pokemon wouldn't be able to learn the moves they normally would prior to evolution with a heart scale.

like sandcastles against the tide.

Old 6 Days Ago (4:05 PM).
Last Shadow

Nature: Docile
I dislike trade evolution because you can't trust a stranger on trading back your traded evolved pokemon and need a trusty fried who you can trust to do your trading, also level can be tendious and happiness at certain time can be twice as leveling. my favorite on how you tilt your 3DS screen

♥Pair: Starrywindy♥
Old 6 Days Ago (4:06 PM).
floating... floating... gone...

Nature: Quirky
My least favorite evolution is definitely trade evolution. It's such a hassle. My favorite is probably just vanilla level up. I like it when my Pokemon is easy to evolve.

mod github pair
Old 6 Days Ago (4:11 PM).
SUNLIGHT AFTER RAIN
Platinum Tier

Nature: Impish
I hate trade evolutions as well. Way too much work to for little reward. Thankfully not many Pokémon level up by trading and I don't like many of the ones who do, but that evolutions method is still something I'd like to see phased out in future generations for sure.

As for the rest, they're all fine and I like them all pretty equally I suppose. Vanilla levelup is obviously the simplest and probably the best just because of that fact.
Old 5 Days Ago (2:19 PM).
Blathering Fool

Nature: Lax
My favorite form of evolution is through Friendship and Closeness(Aime), I have always enjoyed the overall idea of evolving a pokemon by bonding with it.

My least favorite form of evolution is probably Shelmet and Karrablast's trade evolution. It's annoyingly specific. Normal trade evolution is hard enough, but restricting it further to being a trade evolution that is specific to only working when traded with only one other specific pokemon. That to me is pretty obnoxious.

"Somewhere off in a distant world, an island exists, where the ocean only meets the sand, where the weather is always warm. An adventure begins, traveling from the vast lands into the deep seas, chasing into the heart of the tropics, where the plants are vibrant and the beasts are fantastic. We will find each other there, chasing the fleeting dreams of a land full of beauty and potential."
Old 4 Days Ago (8:34 AM).
Utsukushi Hinode
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
My favourite has to be either evolving by level or stone, obviously level is simple and the evolution stones are all pretty accessible. I hate trade evolutions though they're my least favourite, they're just so annoying and some of the super cool Pokemon require one. Happiness is pretty annoying too but it's not quite my least favourite because it's worth it for the Espeon/Umbreon
Old 4 Days Ago (5:42 PM).
Molly, you are so adorable! ♥

My favorite evolution method is the simple "level-up" method that has been used from the beginning. It's kind of rewarding that your Pokémon will evolve into a stronger form when you've trained it to a certain point.

My least favorite: Trading-it's hard for me to find anybody to trade with for an evolution, let alone one willing to do a "round trip" (trade my Pokémon over only to have the other player trade it back immediately afterward). Back when I had my Game Boy games from Generations I and II, I would have a few opportunities to trade with my cousin, and then once I got Pokémon Stadium, I did a few 'round-trips' to evolve some of the Pokémon that evolved by trade between the two Generation I games I had at that time (Blue and Yellow).
Old 2 Days Ago (3:25 PM).
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Bashful
I most prefer evolution through level-up with stones and happiness at a close second and third. The only issue I have with stone evolution is in G/S/C and HG/SS because obtaining stones in those games is one of the most annoying tasks and if I remember right, only the Sun Stone is accessible prior to Kanto and even that can only be obtained by winning first place in the Bug Catching Contest. Super annoying.

Like most others have already said, trade evolution is the bane of my existence and even more so when it requires a hold item (particularly the hold items that are found quite late in the story) or some other specific detail. I get why Game Freak created trade evolutions and the sentiment is nice, but the execution stinks and it's really quite a downer for those of us who don't have a lot of close friends that play the games as well. I remember using Stadium to get trade evolutions back in Gens I and II. The only means of trade evolution I've ever had since then are buying multiple consoles which enable me to trade with myself. It's just such a hassle. Tbh I don't even bother with lines that require trade evolution anymore. Which sucks because some of those Pokémon are ones I really love.

Fire Red (8/8) | Soul Silver (16/16) | Sapphire (8/8) | Pearl (0/8) | Black (0/8) | Y (0/8)
Last Updated: 09.14.16
Old 2 Days Ago (3:57 PM).
the pretender
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Remus
Levelling up and happiness, for sure! They've always been the easiest ones for me to achieve and I agree that it's cute when your Pokemon evolves from friendship.

I've always disliked trading but that's because I've never really had anyone who could trade with me regularly. It's also quite a pain having to go through the whole process of trading. It's a shame since there are a few Pokemon I've wanted to use but have been unable to because they require trading.
Old 1 Day Ago (6:17 AM).
Not the guy from X&Y

Nature: Relaxed
My favourite method of evolution is by levelling up, and my least favourite method is by trading, because it makes it hard to get a Golem/Gengar ect.
Old 1 Day Ago (8:38 AM).
Skip to my loo(m)
Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
I hate having to trade Pokemon to evolve them, whether with a held item or not.
Old 1 Day Ago (4:00 PM).
You were saying?

Nature: Jolly
I hate trade evolutions, but since I found this site earlier in the year, with the trading section, I'll probably change my tune and use that to do any of those.
Old 1 Day Ago (5:54 PM).

Favourite: Levelling-Up
Least Favourite: Trading or whatever the heck the Shelmet-Karrablast evolution method is.

(Last Update: July 15, 2016 - Beta 1 Released)
Old 23 Hours Ago (3:42 AM).
Angeline plushxKikaito plush

Nature: Naughty
like a lot of other posters in this thread I hate trade evolutions. I do like level up evolutions so easy to do.
Old 16 Hours Ago (10:41 AM).

Nature: Lonely
    Well, my favorite method is the use of evolution stones, it's whenever you want as long as you have them As for the least methode, trading because I can't, and hapiness because it's terribly annoying to get to the needed amount of hapiness, especially when you want it...
Old 11 Hours Ago (3:24 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
For me, definitely trading.

I don't have any friends near me who play Pokemon, plus I can't get access to the GTS due to somehow incompatible connection (trust me, I know it because I once tried to download a Mystery Gift event and failed) so for me, Pokemon who evolve by trade are doomed to always stay in the PC and never be used.

I also don't like Tyrogue's unique evolution method, since it's hard to tell if your Attack and Defense are equal enough if you want Hitmontop.
Old 5 Hours Ago (9:19 PM).
#FPT2016
ModeratorCS

I understand why they added trading evolutions to the game, but they really are a hassle, especially since you'll have to do a tradeback if you want your original Pokemon. Sure, wireless capabilities mean that you don't have to hunt someone down and break out the link cables, but it'd be so much more convenient if Pokemon evolving this way had an alternate evolution method.

As for my favorite, I'd go with the evolutionary stones. They give you the option of training your Pokemon for as long as you'd like, meaning you can go for a more powerful Pokemon early on, or you can wait and get moves it may not learn in its final form.

    

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links