Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:03 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja

Advertise here
wwhy everytime i patch an fr rom with jpan engine it mess up the mapps? like glitching them?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
kidkouga
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Jolly
Wow this i awesome!!!!!!! I can now do crazy things but i have one question, my advance map shows all 255 OW but i can't edit them with OW editor RE. Any help? Also how do i access the new palettes because i still have the original ones
If anyone's willing to help me get the hang of hacking PM me

Old June 24th, 2011, 07:40 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
This has deleted some important scripts like finding wild pokemon in the grass, how do I add this back in?
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM
ShinyDragonHunter
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post

A game engine refers to the gears that work behind the scenes: what you ( the player ) doesn't see. Eg: Player moving, music playing etc.

@ShinyDragonHunter - I'm fairly certain this is a limitation of the GBA -- not -- the games original engine. I may be wrong though.

@biking101 - The tool was written in a .NET language. Use mono instead of wine.
From what I've learned the GBA's standard music engine plays 5 direct tracks, I reckon that it is possible to modify the music engine so that more then 5 direct tracks can play at once.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Masou Shoujo Haruna
Don't touch me, I'm sterile

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by metapod23 View Post
I just wanted to say that I figured out who to properly execute this special. For any who might want to know what to do:

First, you have to make the script you want to activate on every step. Once the script is compiled, you open a hex editor and navigate to offset: 0x1a4e2c

There are 4 slots for pointers there. Place the offset (reversed) of the script you want to execute with every step in the first slot. Then, at whatever point you want the walking script to be active (be it through an event script or a level script) just put:

Code:
setvar 0x407e 0x1
special 0x81
Setting variable 407e to 0x1 indicates that you want the game to access the first pointer at offset 0x1a4e2c, and special 0x81 starts the script so that it activates on every step.

So that's how special 0x81 works, in case anyone else was having trouble with the instructions.
sorry if this might sound nooby but
by reverse do you mean, for example my offset is 0x812345
[45 23 81 00] or [54 32 18 00] or [00 18 32 54]?
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masou Shoujo Haruna View Post
sorry if this might sound nooby but
by reverse do you mean, for example my offset is 0x812345
[45 23 81 00] or [54 32 18 00] or [00 18 32 54]?
[45 23 81 08 ] is x812345 reversed and turned into a pointer.
The return of Pokemon Shattered Dreams! Click the screenshot to visit the thread, you know you want to.
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:09 AM
Masou Shoujo Haruna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
[45 23 81 08 ] is x812345 reversed and turned into a pointer.
thanks its somewhat working now.
EDIT: nvm i figured it out now

Last edited by Masou Shoujo Haruna; July 1st, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Masou Shoujo Haruna

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapod23 View Post
I'm having trouble with special 0x64 - the party status modifier.

When I set 0x8005, it ends up making my Pokemon be affected with Sleep no matter which variable I set it to (0-7 are supposed to cause different statuses). If I set it to something other than 0-7, it Poisons the Pokemon to be affected. And if I set it to 40 or 50 it become Paralysis.

It happens that I want to affect it with poison, but I was wondering why I can't get the other statuses to work with the correct status flags?
it doesn't seem to work the same as the what the manual says
setting 0x8005 to:
0x0 - 0x7 sleep(up to 7 turns)
0x8 poison
0x10 burn
0x20 ice
0x40 paralyze
0x80 toxic

setting it to something else would produce combinations of status' like
0x38 is 1 turn defrost + poison + burn
0x39 is 1 turn sleep 2 turn defrost + poison + burn
0x9 1 turn sleep + poison etc.

i think special 0x63 reads differently as well
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
jvpski3
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Relaxed
Nice... Can we use it for hacks? Just wondering...
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Duh. What else would it be for? Just wondering...

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
metapod23
Hardened Trainer

Just wanted to mention a problem I'm having with the timer special - special 0x46, etc.

It works without problem until I step inside a Pokemon Center. Afterward, the timer is instantly reset to 0. This seems to happen in any Pokemon Center and no other areas as far as I can tell, so I would assume it would have something to do with either the sethealingplace command, the setting of variables 405a 405b or 405c, or special 0x182.

When I remove the 05 On entering map/on menu close Script Type, the timer no longer resets, but it does freeze at whatever amount it was at before you entered the Center.

Anyone know why this might be happening?
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAN View Post
-snip-
I applied the hex edits detailed in the quoted post, but I am still having difficulties with loading extra OW palettes into sprite palette slots 6, 7, and 8. When I enter and exit a menu (Bag, Pokedex, Options, etc.), the default palettes (the ones used for mist sprites) are rewritten to these slots, causing any OWs that used the extra palettes to be discolored.

The palettes that I want used are used when entering the map (i.e. warping), but reset when entering and exiting any menu (when palettes are loaded). Does anyone have a solution?

EDIT: I found a temporary workaround, but I would really love to see an actual fix for this.

The temporary workaround is to edit the palette table at 0x1A2400. The mist-NPC palettes have indices 5, 6, 7, and 8; change those to some arbitrary but unlikely-to-be-used numbers (I used 83, 84, 85, and 86 -- the numbers of their mist-free counterparts + 80). So long as no palettes have indices 5-8, this glitch will not occur.

However, this change probably will break something. It also leaves those palette indices forever unusable. Which is why I'm hoping for an actual fix.

EDIT2: It did break something. The bug still occurs when exiting the Pokemon menu after having viewed a Pokemon's stats. Argh!

EDIT3: Or when opening the Pokemon menu at all. "Invalidating" palette indices 5, 6, 7, and 8 prevents the OW mist/reflection palettes from being loaded there when returning from a menu screen to the OW, but it does not reload the extra OW palettes that one chooses to write to those slots. Ergo if a menu screen uses those palettes (Bag doesn't, Pokemon does), they will replace the extra OW palettes upon opening the menu, causing any OW that depended on that palette slot to use the menu's palettes.

Last edited by DavidJCobb; July 31st, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:51 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Has anyone else had a problem with the fainting events? I'm using the Firered Base provided, and when my Pokemon faint, they're not sent to the players house, but instead map 0.0. I've put in the same scripts as the players room, but no avail. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to work on this a whole bunch, just for it to end up not working...
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with the fainting events? I'm using the Firered Base provided, and when my Pokemon faint, they're not sent to the players house, but instead map 0.0. I've put in the same scripts as the players room, but no avail. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to work on this a whole bunch, just for it to end up not working...
JPAN stated at the bottom of the guide that he has changed how the sethealingplace command works. You can choose where you 'respawn' based on the variables 0x405A, 0x405B and 0x405C. Read that section of the document to see how it has changed :)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
I don't completely understand how I would go about creating new behaviour bytes using this. I've read the manual and all it seems to really tell me is that the new table for behaviour bytes is at 0x1a3000. Would I write a script and then write the pointer at that address? Or what? I'm really confused. :/
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Okay guys im getting an problem whenever i patch this to an clean fire red rom when ever i start a new game with this the outdoors are messed up and the scripts are all deleted(its telling so or so that they will be deleted) but the maps are just messed up...is this ahppening to everyone or am i patching it to an wrong rom maybe:\
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

If you do not want this to happen, use the Tool Applier instead. The patch does this--read the manual, or the first post (one of them mentions this).
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Quick question: I'm not an expert in this, so I'm wondering if this hacked engine will allow more person events in one place? I have a huge boulder and breakable rock maze but they won't all load. Will they load in this engine?
Got an old laptop for hacking! With my IPod for Internet, my sister's laptop for transferring, and now this functional laptop for hacking, I'm back in the game!

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
Quick question: I'm not an expert in this, so I'm wondering if this hacked engine will allow more person events in one place? I have a huge boulder and breakable rock maze but they won't all load. Will they load in this engine?
As far as I know, there is no finite amount of Person Events allowed in a normal FireRed ROM. Are you sure these rocks don't share Person Event Numbers/Person IDs, or that there is not a level script which hides certain person events?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

No, it's happened to me before. Some events load when I take a few steps in a certain direction, others only load after moving an event or breaking a rock. This only happens to me when a lot of person events are in one place.
Got an old laptop for hacking! With my IPod for Internet, my sister's laptop for transferring, and now this functional laptop for hacking, I'm back in the game!

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Quote:
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Well that's not going to be fixed by this, no. >:
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

All right. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
If you do not want this to happen, use the Tool Applier instead. The patch does this--read the manual, or the first post (one of them mentions this).
Well i might read that up too.
but i really don;t mind it erasing all scripts just the maps i wanted to know if i patch it and make new mapss if they still would apear glitched up or not.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

No, new maps would not be glitched.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
metapod23
Hardened Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
I don't completely understand how I would go about creating new behaviour bytes using this. I've read the manual and all it seems to really tell me is that the new table for behaviour bytes is at 0x1a3000. Would I write a script and then write the pointer at that address? Or what? I'm really confused. :/
The table starts at 0x1a3000, but if you put the pointer for your script there it will give an action to the first behavior byte (00). I applied my scripts to the last behavior bytes when I did it, so if you wanted to give behavior byte FF an action through a script, you would place the pointer at 0x1a33fc.

That's why there's some pointers already there - at 0x1a3204 is the pointer to the bookshelf script - behavior byte 81 - which is the 81st pointer of the table.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here