The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 12th, 2009 (05:22 AM).
Mr. Frog
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Wow, this looks simply amazing!
Old September 12th, 2009 (06:41 AM).
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
For anyone wondering, you should NOT apply this to a Clean Fire Red Rom, but instead, use JPAN's Clearing Patch, that clears out all of the scripts, signposts, and sprites in every map. Otherwise, some bugs may occur. You can find it in the OLD rom hacking thread, for those who can't find it anymore, here is a link.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=252
(That is his post.)
Well, actually, what I said was that this hack was made based on the Clean Patch I posted earlier. That means that applying this patch will do the same as the Clean Patch, that is, erasing all scripts from the original map. So, this patch should be appliable to any Fire Red rom, hacked or not, that doesn't use the old scripts.

That is because, at the slightest change in number of events, AdvanceMap will repoint them to 0x712000 and below, leaving the old ones behind. So only maps you left intact from the original game should be affected. Only detail I need to add, this patch will erase the almost always reused Pokecenter scripts (healing, linking). Take care if that happens to you. Those scritps are easy to find (and copy) from any not-patched game, but I will provide them together with the resources in the next release.

Currently working on:
Battle Script Documentation
Another large project
Old September 12th, 2009 (11:10 AM). Edited September 13th, 2009 by iTeruri.
iTeruri
iAm

Nature: Relaxed
There is onely one word to describe this: superawesomebestthingintheworldever.

Really, this will help me (and I'm sure many others) a lot. Especially the dynamic multichoice options, battle specials and swarming specials.

I got a few questions though:

Never mind. I tried it myself and I pretty much figured it out.
Old September 12th, 2009 (02:22 PM).
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Nature: Timid
Wow!!
I have to say,this is super cool!:D

But!..... It has problem(at least for me)...

When i use Fly or surf,it freezes the game!

Why it happens?

~sonic1~

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 12th, 2009 (03:10 PM).
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post
When i use Fly or surf,it freezes the game!

Why it happens?

~sonic1~
That's odd. After reading this post, I tried with my a normal Fire Red and activated every needed flag. The sub-functions of the surfing and flying worked normally. Did you use a US Fire red ROM? I tried several ways of calling those functions, an they work.
Because I deleted the scripts, including level scripts, the worldmap_flags are not being set, so you can't fly anywhere on the just-patched ROM. But no freezes were found.

Currently working on:
Another large project
Old September 12th, 2009 (06:43 PM).
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Now heres an idea for ya
U know the sethealingplace command?
since u already seem to know abunch about ASM
would you be able to change that one
OR be able to make it so that we can set
a var (for example lets use 0x7FFF)
the PC script would be: setvar 0x7FFF 0x[map bank] setvar 0x7FFE 0x[map number]
then alter the part that makes us scurry to the PC to simply warp us to the places specified in the two variables.
Just an idea.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old September 12th, 2009 (06:49 PM).
liuyanghejerry
Trainer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via ICQ to liuyanghejerry Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to liuyanghejerry Send a message via Yahoo to liuyanghejerry
This is very nice,and start a new way of using ASM.
I've not read the manual yet because I'm on my phone.
But I guess I have to do it myself to make this engine work on JP roms and even R/S JP roms...

I did something that really bad.But made all Chinese can hack Pokemon, too.If you guys hate me, I totally understand,but cannot do anything but force to keep everything.
If there must be someone to undertake all spit and curse, it must be me.
Old September 12th, 2009 (06:53 PM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
make one for emerald now plox

Very nice. Very nice.

Very very nice.

Dunno what else to say, rofl. 8D
Old September 13th, 2009 (01:21 AM).
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Oh,i have now identified the problem.xD

It was because i had used a old save from another firered and because that,it was causing conflict!

But now that i started new game,its resolved! Thank you!:D

Your hacked engine is fantastic!

~sonic1~

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 13th, 2009 (06:19 AM).
score_under
I program the *other* ASM.

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by The blob of blobs View Post
Now heres an idea for ya
since u already seem to know abunch about ASM
would you be able to change that one
OR be able to make it so that we can set
a var (for example lets use 0x7FFF)
the PC script would be: setvar 0x7FFF 0x[map bank] setvar 0x7FFE 0x[map number]
then alter the part that makes us scurry to the PC to simply warp us to the places specified in the two variables.
Just an idea.
Can't you just make it set those vars at the start of your hack and set the sethealingplace table pointer to those vars +8 ?
Old September 13th, 2009 (08:26 AM).
diegoisawesome
Please understand
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Er, I have a question.
How would I make an overworld have one of the new palettes that I made a new pointer to in the table, and what would I number the new palette?

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Old September 13th, 2009 (09:12 AM).
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
Er, I have a question.
How would I make an overworld have one of the new palettes that I made a new pointer to in the table, and what would I number the new palette?
In the palette table, the end is marked with 00000000 ff110000. if you place it after that line, it will not work. Also, if the above would be a palette, the 11ff would be the number of that palette. Almost all numbers are still available, so number it something like 0020 would be fine. Remember to place the finish line at the end of your new insertions, or the code will crash the game.

Unfortunately, the OW Editor does not support this new aditions, so the best way to make it is to be tricky.
Copy your ROM. That copy will be where you will replace the old sprites and palettes with your new ones. Edit the new sprite and frames to your liking. In the end, go to where that OW is (at the old OW data pointer, the first pointer at the OW table pointers), copy the OW data to the first ROM, and place a pointer to the OW data in your Overworld table. Don't forget to copy your frames from the Sprite pointer.
Now, the OW is in the game but the Palette is still be messed up. So, go the OW data and right after the FFFF bytes you find the palette. Replace it with the new one you inserted and try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The blob of blobs View Post
Now heres an idea for ya
I have checked out the Sethealingplace command, and figured out how it worked. Your idea of the variables isn't too far off. It would require at least three variables, and the sethealingplace would only be necessary to determine the script that is called after the blackout (I checked out how it worked without such check, and it would always treat the are as a pokecenter, displaying the animation on such places as Blaine's head).
However, that change will still take some time to make.

Currently working on:
Another large project
Old September 13th, 2009 (06:25 PM).
thrilljack1
Beginning Trainer

This looks amazing because it has one feature I've always wanted: variable wild/trainer pkmn level based on your current level.

After trying it out, I'm completely confused. I played it through and all of the events are gone (as expected). However, when I opened it on Advance Map I still see all the events there. I tried making an event and it didn't show up. It's almost as if all of the events are still present but simply "turned off." Mind helping an enthusiastic hacking noob out? I'm dying to play around with the level editor thing.
Old September 13th, 2009 (06:51 PM).
bigfatgranny
Pokemon Shadow's Haze.

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bigfatgranny
That's weird? I never got an error with mine. But for everyones info this takes out EVERY script. Including the ability to nickname pokemon. But this is easy to fix. Just insert it from a clean rom.
Old September 13th, 2009 (07:06 PM).
thrilljack1
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatgranny View Post
That's weird? I never got an error with mine. But for everyones info this takes out EVERY script. Including the ability to nickname pokemon. But this is easy to fix. Just insert it from a clean rom.
I've been doing research and I'm wondering if I'm missing something important. I'm using XSE and Advance Map, but I'm beginning to think that maybe I need to be using a different program or something.
With Advance Map, all of the scripts are there in the game, they just don't seem to activate / show up when I start the rom.
Old September 14th, 2009 (07:13 AM).
Father Ash
Born from the fire.

Nature: Quiet
Just given the manual a quick once-over and it looks brilliant. I doubt I'd really use much of it except for the wild pokemon level stuff and roaming legendaries but still it's abso-bloody-lutely amazing.

I think that's an all right description of me...
Old September 15th, 2009 (11:22 AM).
Co500
You think you're strong? You're not.
Community Supporter

its great only that for some reason i cant get more OWs if some one has a firered ips with more than 255 ows could you please tell me

I hope you’ll remember, there is something good in goodbye.

Old September 15th, 2009 (05:00 PM).
hoebeke

thanks man!
Old September 15th, 2009 (06:27 PM).
Bayonetta
Beginning Trainer

You should add Diamond and Peark Skill System, like making fire punch a physical fire type attack and crunch a dark physical attack.
Old September 16th, 2009 (03:39 AM).
giova90
Moebius

Nature: Adamant
fantastic job!...i could be fantastic also have the following OW like pokemon yellow and HG SS...and maybe to be a change by ow trainer card and back when you play ...so start to change the character when you would like to do it...:-)

Old September 19th, 2009 (10:49 AM).
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Simply amazing. If it's possible, I have an idea for what command/function/whatever to include: A wild pokemon changing script. It's possible to change wild pkmn data by storing that data from the ROM into the RAM, and then hack the script that reads the data from the ROM to make sure that that data is read from the RAM instead. I tried to do something like this, but with my close-to-no knowledge of ASM, it didn't work out.
Old September 19th, 2009 (02:44 PM).
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DarK- View Post
Simply amazing. If it's possible, I have an idea for what command/function/whatever to include: A wild pokemon changing script.
That was one of the first included functions. Specials 0x58 and 0x59. Special 0x58 allows you to load another Wild pokemon data to replace any of the old ones. Read on the manual how. Special 0x59 disables that function until activated again with special 0x58.

Currently working on:
Another large project
Old September 20th, 2009 (01:57 AM).
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAN View Post
That was one of the first included functions. Specials 0x58 and 0x59. Special 0x58 allows you to load another Wild pokemon data to replace any of the old ones. Read on the manual how. Special 0x59 disables that function until activated again with special 0x58.
Now this is what I've been looking for! :D Really, this is great, well done mate!
Old September 20th, 2009 (09:02 AM).
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Sorry to tell,but i've found another problem(at least for me)

I've used your special 56(swarming/roaming legendaries) with the following script:

Code:
setvar 0x8004 0xFFFE
setvar 0x8005 0xFFFF
setvar 0x8006 0x1
setvar 0x8007 0x1
special 0x56
Problem:

As you can see,i pretend to use a predefined pokemon stored at a pointer, that must be placed by hand in 0x0203f488! And that's what i've done,but!...

It works the way i want, but after the capture it turns into a bad egg!:\

Misc. information (of the problem):

The predefined Pokemon that im has a diferent OTid and SecretID than mine!(no prob here,just like i want)

The pokemon is a raikou lv.100

The predefined pokemon data i used is:
Spoiler:

E4FF8F4E4197ECAFCCBBC3C5C9CFFF036D260202C5BBCCC6FFFFFF0013130000A5F107EBBB2BAAF1A5E863E1D66891E1F26838E0B16769F55668DEE1757A70E1A50963E1A56863E1A56863E1A56863E10000
000064FF40014001DA00AB00FD00F700BF

And if you didn't understand the problem, there's a video-gif in attachment :

Plz,i need to understand whats happening

~Sonic1~
Attached Images
File Type: gif special56error.gif‎ (473.3 KB, 193 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old September 20th, 2009 (10:35 AM).
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post
As you can see,i pretend to use a predefined pokemon stored at a pointer, that must be placed by hand in 0x0203f488! And that's what i've done,but!...

It works the way i want, but after the capture it turns into a bad egg!:\

Misc. information (of the problem):

The predefined Pokemon that im has a diferent OTid and SecretID than mine!(no prob here,just like i want)
In fact, the difference in OTids IS the problem. When I tested this code I used pokemon caught in the game, replicated to the other side, that's why I didn't notice a very important piece of information: the game doesn't copy the Wild data 1 to 1, only the encrypted part. the OTIDs are changed to the one the game owner has.

Of course, now that I know of the problem, I can fix it. Next release will have this fixed. Up until then, I advise people to not use the Predefined pokemon mode.

Thanks for the heads up.

Currently working on:
Another large project
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links