The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Strategies and Movesets

Notices

Pokémon Strategies and Movesets Post your team lineups, get your team rated or rate other teams, talk about lineups, talk about moves/movesets, strategies, etc. For general talk about the games, go to the respective Pokémon game forums.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: S+M staff are great
Yes 2,147,483,647 100.00%
Yes 999 100.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Phazon
Trainer

Nature: Docile

Advertise here
There's an EV guide on the 2nd post of this thread:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123757

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM
amberfunk
Almost master trainer

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to amberfunk
Very helpful thank you very much

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:59 AM
HarrisonH
I doubt Pokemon will be a hit

This is something different.

I'm wanting to get into competitive RBY battling, but I have no idea where to start with building a team. What pokemon, and what movesets for the pokemon, do you all suggest I use if I want to win competitive battles in RBY?
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Skip Shot
I'm back. I think.

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonH View Post
This is something different.

I'm wanting to get into competitive RBY battling, but I have no idea where to start with building a team. What pokemon, and what movesets for the pokemon, do you all suggest I use if I want to win competitive battles in RBY?
Smogon University has an in-depth analysis of RBY competitive, so go ahead and check it out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaNcEr View Post
im currently breeding for natures and good IVs, but the is the team im planning on using once done is.

Salemance - Adament
Garchomp - Adament
Froslass - Timid
Wobbuffet - Bold
Gengar - Modest
Snorlax - Careful

im somewhat new to competitive pokemon battleing. Ive been doing some reasearch on what ppl are using and this is what i came up with.
It seems asthough Salemance and Garchomp are some of the top physical sweepers. Gengar is one of the top special sweepers. I chose Froslass since it was an ice/ghost type, the ice is good agains opposing Salemance and Garchomp and its ghost type is good against psychic type. Snorlax seems to have good stats all around, it can wall and attack. And the theres Wobbuffet, apperently the cheapest pokemon that can be used.... go ahead, call me a n00b, because i am. i dont know as much as an experianced battler but i still hate to loose, so im rolling with wobbuffet untill i find something new.
Garchomp and Wobuffett aren't used in standard competitive play since they were both banned to Ubers.

Salamence, Froslass, and Snorlax have pretty decent natures, but Salamence would prefer Naive, and Gengar wants a Timid Nature, since speed matters quite a bit in competitive play.

If you want other things to beat dragon-types with, Mamoswine works quite well thanks to Ice Shard and base 130 Attack. Steel-types can also take dragon attacks well, but need to watch out for stuff like Earthquake and Fire Blast. Mamoswine can go Adamant, Jolly, or even run a mixed set with a Lonely nature.

Psychic types in standard play are also generally frail, so Scizor's strength from a Choice Band Technician Bullet Punch can come in handy. Scizor prefers an Adamant Nature at all times.

Check out my food blog if you're not busy.

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Tsavo
Psilocybin

Can anyone suggest some niche OU/UU pokemon movesets? By niche, I mean something similar to Breloom's Spore Puncher set (unique moves/alternative play-style).
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam View Post
Hey everyone, Charizard is my favorite Pokemon so I was hoping to be able to make a "perfect Charizard". Obviously it can't be perfect I just want a really good one. I will EV Train him but first I need opinions on attacks and Nature and what not. I want him to learn Belly Drum from breeding so if we could branch off from there that would be swell. Thanks Guys.
Unfortunately, Charizard is hard to battle with due to its weakness to Stealth Rock. BellZard is even worse. Anyway, here is the Smogon analysis to it: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/charizard

Also, what is a good RSE UU lead and a sweeper that works well with it? I'm trying to get into 3rd Gen UU.
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
What are some good adv lures for Snorlax? He currently poops on my team. I'll tell you what my team is so it is easier to tell me what to get rid of:

Tauntrados - Not really sure, I needed a 6th pokemon and I figured a +1 HP Flying can kill Celebi if Duggy is gone.
Suicune - CM/Ice Beam/Surf/HP Electric
Celebi - This pokemon is godly. Running the Leech Seed/Heal Bell/HP Grass/Recover. Not going to replace it, its so good.
Dugtrio - CB Set. Primary Celebi killer and great revenge killer
Breloom - Sub/Spore/Seed/Punch is the set, its good, but I feel like its not doing much other than dying to the same stuff celebi does.
Blissey - Back up cleric/special sponge. Aroma/SToss/Ice Beam/Softboiled. good special wall.

I need something to reliably counter or lure in Snorlax. Im thinking I should drop Gyara for something like Mence, but idk. HALP.

Remember this is for Advance.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gamer View Post
What are some good adv lures for Snorlax? He currently poops on my team. I'll tell you what my team is so it is easier to tell me what to get rid of:

Tauntrados - Not really sure, I needed a 6th pokemon and I figured a +1 HP Flying can kill Celebi if Duggy is gone.
Suicune - CM/Ice Beam/Surf/HP Electric
Celebi - This pokemon is godly. Running the Leech Seed/Heal Bell/HP Grass/Recover. Not going to replace it, its so good.
Dugtrio - CB Set. Primary Celebi killer and great revenge killer
Breloom - Sub/Spore/Seed/Punch is the set, its good, but I feel like its not doing much other than dying to the same stuff celebi does.
Blissey - Back up cleric/special sponge. Aroma/SToss/Ice Beam/Softboiled. good special wall.

I need something to reliably counter or lure in Snorlax. Im thinking I should drop Gyara for something like Mence, but idk. HALP.

Remember this is for Advance.
Mence might be good just steer clear of MixMence, who can't even KO Blissey with Brick Break. Run DD Mence w/Brick Break.
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Vakana
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Hi guys! I'm new to PokeCommunity, as this is my first post. I don't know if this is the right section to post in, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. But I would like to have my garchomp rated, please? I intend on joining the competitive battling scene once I have finished an entire team. I'd like to construct a team focused on sweeping to start out. I know I'll probably get my butt handed to me in my first battle, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Garchomp @ Life Orb
252 Att / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Adamant [+Att, -SpA]
Outrage
Swords dance
Earthquake
Stone edge

His IVs are:

31 HP
31 Att
15 Def
28 SpA
29 SpD
31 Spe

I find that a lot of the content in the PokeCommunity forums as well as smogon forums confuses me; it's really discouaraging and makes me feel inadequate to join the metagame. I'll keep on reading and see if I get it.

Thank you for any and all insightful posts, or any posts at all.

Last edited by Vakana; June 15th, 2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: To better fit the posting guidelines
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Skip Shot
I'm back. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakana View Post
Hi guys! I'm new to PokeCommunity, as this is my first post. I don't know if this is the right section to post in, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. But I would like to have my garchomp rated, please? I intend on joining the competitive battling scene once I have finished an entire team. I'd like to construct a team focused on sweeping to start out. I know I'll probably get my butt handed to me in my first battle, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Garchomp @ Life Orb
252 Att / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Adamant [+Att, -SpA]
Outrage
Swords dance
Earthquake
Stone edge

His IVs are:

31 HP
31 Att
15 Def
28 SpA
29 SpD
31 Spe

I find that a lot of the content in the PokeCommunity forums as well as smogon forums confuses me; it's really discouaraging and makes me feel inadequate to join the metagame. I'll keep on reading and see if I get it.

Thank you for any and all insightful posts, or any posts at all.
Garchomp likes to run Yache or Haban Berry on this set, it looks fine otherwise. Keeping in mind that Garchomp is Uber, it does prefer a Jolly Nature however. Stone Edge is fine as it is, but Fire Fang is also a good option for taking out Steels. Keep in mind though that without Stone Edge, you do lose to Lugia.

Check out my food blog if you're not busy.

Old June 15th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Vakana
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Thank you, Skip Shot! I'll keep the berries in mind. I read that jolly is the preferred nature for garchomp, and I was disheartened. I can redo the breeding process and get a garchomp like this, but jolly. I know I'm outsped by a few other pokemon. Thanks again for your advice, Skip Shot.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Chains
Psychic Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakana View Post
Thank you, Skip Shot! I'll keep the berries in mind. I read that jolly is the preferred nature for garchomp, and I was disheartened. I can redo the breeding process and get a garchomp like this, but jolly. I know I'm outsped by a few other pokemon. Thanks again for your advice, Skip Shot.
Yeah as Skip Shot said I would really reccomend you to rebreed your Garchomp for a Jolly Nature, as it allows Garchomp to outspeed quite a few threats, like Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Palkia, Manaphy, Mew, Dialga, Ho-Oh, and Giratina. Some of which with Adamant nature he speed ties with. Also Skip Shot I really dont see the point in using Fire Fang at all when it has STAB Earthquake to hit steel types with...
I have a Jolly 31/30/31/X/31/31 Garchomp I RNG Abused myself Vakana, if you dont feel like rebreeding one yourself feel free to PM me and if you can clone ill send you a copy.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Dark Azelf
ThisWillBeTheEndOfEveryth ing.
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains View Post
Also Skip Shot I really dont see the point in using Fire Fang at all when it has STAB Earthquake to hit steel types with...
Its for SKarm and Bronzong mainly. Stone Edge is better in ubers though to hit Lugia but Crunch can be used if you're using Outrage to hit Giratina (without locking yourself into Outrage) whilst still maintaining coverage vs Lugia.
Pair x [23:25] =Sanguine: take meh with your mighty staff
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►

Stone Edge also hits Ho-Oh for 4x Damage who can be threatening with SubRoost and a 50% burn rate from Sacred Fire. x__x As well as it can hit Rayquazza without having to Outrage.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:27 AM
RTHookers
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quiet
Didn't get an answer so I'll repost. I want to use RestTalk Gyara, and CroCune isn't that effective. And I want another PHazer too.
The team:

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
---
Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes - I'll remove this, no idea for a secondary attack.
- Payback
- Rapid Spin
---
Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
---
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SpD
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
---
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
---

I'll might use a Cleric because this team hates status too.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Dark Azelf
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTHookers View Post
Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 SpD
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Substitute
Yeah. Sub and outstall things with T-Spikes up, burn all the junk that isn't able to be poisoned. Switch from Pursuiters with the Sub.

Keep Toxic Spikes, or CroCune is rather useless lol. Put Careful on Forry as it helps with your ridiculous Sub Gar weakness.

Lacks a last poke stopper. Put something with Trick over ScarfTar, Scarf Jirachi would work well.

Also your team doesn't fear status, you have a status absorber in Cune and a Blissey.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:52 AM
RTHookers
Booted out - don't be like me!

I wanted to kick CroCune. Things with Sub are annoying and Pert can't stay alive too long against special attacks. So I wanted to use RestTalk Gyara > CroCune.
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Alternative
welcome to my womb
Community Supporter

What's the best set for a Calm Blissey with Seismic Toss?
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
Sub Pain Split Gengar
SubCharge Rotom
SD <Pokemon>
SubChamp

SubCharge Rotom poops all over it since Bliss can't do anything to it but switch out.

edit: @ RTHookers, Replace CroCune with CM/Rest/HP Electric/Surf

Thing is boss.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
institutions
ain't that a kick in the head?

Nature: Relaxed
I have a question.
I don't know how to do any extended breeding for egg moves.

I'd like my Teddiursa to know Crunch and Close Combat. I have a male Zangoose with Close Combat and a male Raticate with Crunch. How do I get both of these moves onto a Teddiursa?
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Xebelleon
Mugcake Handler

Nature: Quirky
Breed Crunch onto a Riolu and evolve into Lucario to pass on Close Combat and Crunch.

Otherwise Smeargle, Snubbull, and another Teddiursa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by institutions View Post
I have a question.
I don't know how to do any extended breeding for egg moves.

I'd like my Teddiursa to know Crunch and Close Combat. I have a male Zangoose with Close Combat and a male Raticate with Crunch. How do I get both of these moves onto a Teddiursa?
Smeargle, in double battle, can Sketch the move used by partner.

HINT: if using a Sinnoh game, visit the twins south of Floaroma.

I have a "similar" Teddiursa, only with Night Slash and Cross Chop.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
shookie
Often scatters things.

Zangoose + female Teddiursa = male Teddiursa with Crunch
Raticate + female Teddiursa = male Teddiursa with CC

Two males won't breed together and females don't pass down egg moves. Unless I'm overlooking something obvious, you can't pass the moves down with those Pokémon right now. You also can't breed the moves onto one another (Zangoose can't learn crunch, Raticate can't learn CC), so you'll have to do something like:

Male Chimchar -> Monferno @ 26 for CC
Male Monferno + Female Snubbull -> Male Snubbull w/ CC
Male Snubbull @ 49 for Crunch
Male Snubbull + Female Teddiursa -> Teddiursa w/ CC and Crunch

Signature drawn by me.

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:47 AM
institutions
ain't that a kick in the head?

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by An-san Rebelleon View Post
Smeargle, in double battle, can Sketch the move used by partner.

HINT: if using a Sinnoh game, visit the twins south of Floaroma.

I have a "similar" Teddiursa, only with Night Slash and Cross Chop.
Oh, Smeargle!

So, I can catch a male Smeargle, enter a double battle with it and sketch the move Close Combat from smeargle's partner, switch pokemon, and sketch Crunch from the new partner?

Epic win, thanks so much.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Xebelleon
Mugcake Handler

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by institutions View Post

Oh, Smeargle!

So, I can catch a male Smeargle, enter a double battle with it and sketch the move Close Combat from smeargle's partner, switch pokemon, and sketch Crunch from the new partner?

Epic win, thanks so much.
Just remember the "speed issue" as Smeargle usually wants to go last (hold items: Lagging Tail/Rock Incense/Macho Brace).
Smeargle would use another move when Sketch'n a two turn move or 'counter' move.

ASSIST is note worthy for the "two turn Sketch"...
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Dark Azelf
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gamer View Post

Sub Pain Split Gengar
SubCharge Rotom
SD <Pokemon>
SubChamp

SubCharge Rotom poops all over it since Bliss can't do anything to it but switch out.

edit: @ RTHookers, Replace CroCune with CM/Rest/HP Electric/Surf

Thing is boss.
Uh how does that answer his question ?_? lol

Blissey@Leftovers
80 HP / 252 Def / 176 S.Def
Calm Nature
Trait : Natural Cure
- Seismic Toss
- Thunderwave / Toxic
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock / Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Aromatherapy

If you use a special attack last slot put the hp evs in s.att.

Blissey@Leftovers
80 HP / 252 Def / 176 S.Def
Calm Nature
Trait : Natural Cure
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Softboiled

Softboiled > Protect, since Protect is so easy to take advantage of i.e they can DD on your protect and then DD again as you switch out lol. That and you cant heal yourself on PHazers which is an issue with Spikes. The extra pp is great too.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here