Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Strategies and Movesets
Reload this Page Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Strategies and Movesets Post your team lineups, get your team rated or rate other teams, talk about lineups, talk about moves/movesets, strategies, etc. For general talk about the games, go to the respective Pokémon game forums.

View Poll Results: S+M staff are great
Yes 2,147,483,647 100.00%
Yes 999 100.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17th, 2009 (05:01 PM).
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Aurafire:
Ok I cannot find this anywhere, does Substitute block Sandstorm damage?
Nope it doesnt sadly which kinda sucks. =[

Pazzy <3

Old September 17th, 2009 (05:06 PM).
Aurafire
provider of cake

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Dark Azelf:
Nope it doesnt sadly which kinda sucks. =[
Well that's just excellent, back to square one with this new team >:/

Old September 17th, 2009 (06:38 PM).
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Just wondering, but how do you exactly find the stat number of a pokemon from its base stat? I've been kind of wondering for a while how this actually works and I've never been able to find anything specific about how to calculate it. :/

I would use shoddy to find this kind of stuff out (as it's automatic), but seeing as I have no access due to there being no PC server, I'm stuck with the good ol' calculator. xD

Also, +1 to a stat stage is equal to multiplying it by 1.5...right? Or is it less? (I know that +2 to a stat stage is doubling it...so I'm unsure of what a single one does)
Old September 17th, 2009 (07:01 PM).
Aurafire
provider of cake

Quote originally posted by .Aero:
Just wondering, but how do you exactly find the stat number of a pokemon from its base stat? I've been kind of wondering for a while how this actually works and I've never been able to find anything specific about how to calculate it. :/

From Smogon:
Stat = (((2 * BaseStat + IV + (EV / 4)) * Level / 100 + 5) * Nature

Nature is 1.1 if the nature is beneficial or .9 if it's reducing, 1 for everything else.

I would use shoddy to find this kind of stuff out (as it's automatic), but seeing as I have no access due to there being no PC server, I'm stuck with the good ol' calculator. xD

Also, +1 to a stat stage is equal to multiplying it by 1.5...right? Or is it less? (I know that +2 to a stat stage is doubling it...so I'm unsure of what a single one does)

Yup, +1 to a stat multiplies it by 1.5x
Answers are bolded. You know, you can still make teams and stuff even if the server isn't up ;D

Old September 17th, 2009 (07:13 PM).
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Do decimals above 0.5 round up?

(For Crawdaunt I got 372.9 for the Attack stat using: 252 Atk, Adamant Nature, 31 IVs)

The reason I want to know this is because I'm trying to theorymon for a usable set for the soon to come DDDaunt. I'm hard at work. xD

EDIT: Smogon says the max stat is 372...so I guess that's it. D: That's dumb.

Thanks for the help Aura. ;D
Old September 17th, 2009 (07:56 PM).
reidbartlett
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Brave
271 attck, it must have the pokerus or something!
Old September 18th, 2009 (07:11 PM).
TwilightBlade
Protect his very soul.

Yo yo yo. How important is Explosion on Naive Heatran (Scarf set)? Here are the IVs: 22 / 10 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31

Is 10 in Attack fine or bad?

Old September 18th, 2009 (07:35 PM).
wolf
midnight in a perfect world

Quote originally posted by TwilightBlade:
Yo yo yo. How important is Explosion on Naive Heatran (Scarf set)? Here are the IVs: 22 / 10 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31

Is 10 in Attack fine or bad?
It's fine, it isn't like you're going to lose any KOs iirc. Though, you lose a OHKO on max HP / Def Bold Blissey (7% chance of OHKOing with SR opposed to 66% with 31 IVs).
Old September 19th, 2009 (05:32 AM). Edited September 19th, 2009 by Atamagaokashii.
Atamagaokashii
Feel like drowning a dinosaur?

Nature: Quirky
I was planning on using a Baton Passer Ninjask. I can't really think of a good use for EVs, nature, etc. So far this is all I've come up with.

Ninjask @ Focus Sash

Ability: Speed Boost

Moves:
Protect
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
??????

Nature: ??????

Stats and EVs: ??????

MAJOR help needed in this category

Edit: Should I also be on the lookout for certain IVs? Also, I was wondering what a good build for rotom would be? I know it it very broad, but I was looking into a support rotom of some sort?
Old September 19th, 2009 (05:43 AM).
No, you fail
l to the o to the l

Nature: Jolly
What would be a good moveset for a hasty infernape the current one isn't working to well for me?

I win for having 2012 in my friend code.
Old September 19th, 2009 (07:55 AM).
Aurafire
provider of cake

Quote originally posted by Atamagaokashii:
I was planning on using a Baton Passer Ninjask. I can't really think of a good use for EVs, nature, etc. So far this is all I've come up with.

Ninjask @ Focus Sash

Moves:
Protect
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
??????

MAJOR help needed in this category :S

Edit: Should I also be on the lookout for certain IVs? Also, I was wondering what a good build for rotom would be? I know it it very broad, but I was looking into a support rotom of some sort?
Ninjask @ Leftovers
Jolly
176 HP / 252 Attack / 80 Speed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor / Aerial Ace

Substitute is a better option than protect because it can be used in succession. Also, make sure you lead with this, otherwise Ninjask dies to Stealth Rock. But beware, a lot of common leads can beat this set very easily =(

Quote originally posted by shinyninetales:
What would be a good moveset for a hasty infernape the current one isn't working to well for me?
Your options aren't limited much with a hasty nature, you can still run any of his mixed sets fine. Look here for some ideas for movesets: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape

Old September 19th, 2009 (08:12 AM).
wolf

Ninjask @ Focus Sash

Moves:
Protect
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
??????

MAJOR help needed in this category :S
Look here, it has the most standard movesets for Ninjask. ;3
Quote:
Edit: Should I also be on the lookout for certain IVs?
Usually, it is best to have a 31 Speed IV, the rest doesn't really matter. If you get a lower IV, such as 30, then just add 4 more Speed EVs to Ninjask's EV spread, because the EVs are designed to outrun some Pokemon that would be threatening. And, you don't want to be outsped by them do you? X3
Quote:
Also, I was wondering what a good build for rotom would be? I know it it very broad, but I was looking into a support rotom of some sort?
I recommend this:
@ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Speed
Bold Nature (+ Def / - Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Just burn stuff like Flygon, Scizor, Tyranitar, etc (it is really fun). Thunderbolt for a STAB, and usually hits more stuff for neutral than Shadow Ball does. Rest and Sleep Talk for recovery and stalling. When HG/SS patches come out you can use Pain Split. \o/ Wash is better than most forms for this because it keeps Heatran and Infernape from coming in on a WOW, and absorbing it (Heatran), or just being immune to it (Infernape). Some other Appliance analysis's can be found here, just scroll down till you see the Rotom forms (alphabetically).

If you want a Rotom set, just look here.
Quote originally posted by shinyninetales:
Yeah, just go here, there so many options depending on what your team needs. :P I never really used Infernape much so I can't recommend anything, but I do know Naive is better than Hasty because you take less from Scizor's Bullet Punch. :3

Edit: Gah, beaten.
Old September 19th, 2009 (08:52 AM).
Atamagaokashii
Feel like drowning a dinosaur?

Nature: Quirky
Thank you so so soooo much Aurafire and Wolf. And Aurafire, you said that most leads can easily beat Ninjask. I was wondering what baton passer you and Wolf would recommend? Thanks in advance!
Old September 19th, 2009 (09:16 AM).
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter

Thank you so so soooo much Aurafire and Wolf. And Aurafire, you said that most leads can easily beat Ninjask. I was wondering what baton passer you and Wolf would recommend? Thanks in advance!
Zapdos is a better speed passer, simply because it isnt metagame weak lol.

Pazzy <3

Old September 19th, 2009 (04:59 PM).
Kittyipawd
Waiting to see red again

Is there a lead OU pokemon that has a resistance to fire and ground

Friend Code 0705-2846-7850 , Fighting type safari (I have a Riolu)
Old September 19th, 2009 (09:03 PM).
Skip Shot
I'm back. I think.

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Kittyipawd:
Is there a lead OU pokemon that has a resistance to fire and ground
I'm not sure about its effectiveness in Platinum, but I know that people used to run a Gyarados lead set. I think it was DD/ Thunder Wave/ Waterfall/ Return, but I'm not entirely sure.

I would prefer running the standard BulkyDos set however as a lead.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
156 HP/ 108 Atk/ 100 Def/ 144 Spe

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Taunt

Check out my food blog if you're not busy.

Old September 20th, 2009 (04:32 PM).
sims796
We're A-Comin', Princess!

Wow, this place changed a bit!

Brittney is mod again! He went missing, presumed dead. Came to dance on hi--I mean, come to his aid.

Well, lemme ask this question. I'm tryin gto get back into the swing of things, get back in the game. I saw on serebii that Vileplume learns Teeter Dance in Gold/Silver/Crystal. Confusion, in my humble opinion, has never been a terrible status to inflict, especially for those high risk gamblers. Seeing how my file was deleted, I may use a CofusionPlume. Any suggesitions?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 21st, 2009 (06:24 AM).
mewunlimited
is yet to be discovered

Nature: Modest
I was wondering, since CAP (the create a pokemon server) is hosted by the guys at smogon, would it be okay for someone to post a cap RMT or Battle Log in the pokecommunity forums?

also are roost and fly affected by gravity?

^ Check it out, its awesome
Old September 21st, 2009 (06:29 AM).
Aurafire
provider of cake

Quote originally posted by mewunlimited:
I was wondering, since CAP (the create a pokemon server) is hosted by the guys at smogon, would it be okay for someone to post a cap RMT or Battle Log in the pokecommunity forums?

also are roost and fly affected by gravity?
I'm sure no one would mind a battle log with a CAP pokemon in it...I'd actually enjoy reading one of those. Idk about the RMT really since most people here aren't well versed in CAP strategies. You could PM a mod and see what they think :D

Roost is not affected, but the use of the move Fly is prevented when gravity is on the field.

Old September 21st, 2009 (06:55 AM).
wolf

Quote originally posted by sims796:
Wow, this place changed a bit!

Brittney is mod again! He went missing, presumed dead. Came to dance on hi--I mean, come to his aid.

Well, lemme ask this question. I'm tryin gto get back into the swing of things, get back in the game. I saw on serebii that Vileplume learns Teeter Dance in Gold/Silver/Crystal. Confusion, in my humble opinion, has never been a terrible status to inflict, especially for those high risk gamblers. Seeing how my file was deleted, I may use a CofusionPlume. Any suggesitions?
Maybe use Stun Spore / Teeter Dance / Leech Seed / Energy Ball or Grass Knot. Hit it on the switch with Stun Spore, then Teeter Dance, next Leech Seed. 8D I don't know if it would work though lol.
Old September 21st, 2009 (07:14 AM).
sims796

Unfortunately, it won't...

See, Leech Seed is an event move, so Leech Seed & Teeter Dance is illegal. I know, unfortunate.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old September 21st, 2009 (07:47 AM).
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter

Unfortunately, it won't...

See, Leech Seed is an event move, so Leech Seed & Teeter Dance is illegal. I know, unfortunate.
Well you could use a Hidden Power, Sludge Bomb, Aroma or even something like Synthesis over Leech Seed since Plume has alot of options.

Pazzy <3

Old September 21st, 2009 (08:21 AM).
sims796

Or maybe even...

SOLAR BEAM?

When will shoddy updatte the changes?

Old September 21st, 2009 (08:32 AM).
Dark Azelf
Dream Evil.
Community Supporter

Or maybe even...

SOLAR BEAM?

When will shoddy updatte the changes?
Or even Toxic, can never go wrong with that. XD

Well there is a server on the front page of shoddy, called the HG/SS server, me and Luke are on it now. That has all the changes.

Pazzy <3

Old September 21st, 2009 (08:48 AM).
sims796

Kick rocks, DA.

I was thinking Toxic anywhoo. Now, one FINAL question for at least 60 seconds...

How effective IS confusion in today's fast paced metagame?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links