The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Trask3000
~Blank Points~

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trask3000

Advertise here
So the "black one" is a tire? I thought it was some wise-cracking Diglett under there. Poor Momo ... I can't wait till the game comes out :D

GO Team Victory St★r!!!!!!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=283659
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Curt_09
Also known as Chozo

This is still active? More hype than I had before. Should be fun to play.

Old April 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Kip
Highpaw!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Rash
Ohh look - SRT is up for Hack of the Month (again)! Looks like this time it's up against some strong competition.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=248937

Maybe we can do it this time if we get enough votes. Here's hoping. You'll always have my vote though.

Good luck with it all!

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
dragonarche
Is back :D

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to dragonarche
Wow the screens are amazing love your mapping skills
can't wait for it,!
best of luck to you! :D

Experienced Vb.net and C# Dev
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:56 AM
shomoher

I hope you actually finish this!! This looks too awesome to be left just undone!!
Good luck!! I'm so looking forward to playing this!!

Ice Pokemon are the Best~

TaeYeon. Jessica. Sunny. Tiffany. HyoYeon. YuRi. SooYoung. YoonA. SeoHyun
DJ I Love You
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Xz LegaCy zX
Beginning Trainer

Is this public yet? I hope it will be soon, Looks pretty great. I'll be on the lookout for it
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:33 AM
pokepokemo
The RPing Challenger!

Nature: Timid
Oh mi God!!even seeing the pics got me reminded of when I was playing that PMD explorers of the sky.I haven't got the chance to look at the videos but this hack looks great!!!
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Hm... I think I might know the solution to removing the truck movement and sound at the beginning of the ROM hack. I think the ASM for the truck movement is actually part of the Introduction ASM routine. So if only if I knew where the ASM for the Pokémon Ruby introduction is... then I might be able to remove the many ASM codes before the ASM code that starts the actual moving around the map. So that way the truck movement in the ROM hack could be removed. So anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing more things in Pokémon: Super Rising Thunder. And I do actually have a suggestion for the world map, prahaps when moving to some place... maybe there could be a battle between a landmark and a dungeon that could happen using a script that will only function once.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:43 AM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!

Nature: Modest
@PokemonShinySilver: A friend of mine looked into that problem for me, and he said pretty much what you did - it's part of the introduction routine. Getting rid of it, on the other hand...I don't even know where to find that information in the ROM; as my brain goes into shutdown mode the moment it's faced with endless rows of numbers. ' As for your map battle idea; that's pretty much what I was trying to do with the Mini-Dungeons - little maps to gather items in, and each one has a mandatory battle within.

I come bearing screenshots! But before I get to them, I wanted to briefly discuss a unique little gimmick regarding one of the characters in the game, to give you a taste of things to come.

A few times in this thread, I've referred to someone named Aspen, aka "the First." He's a Pikachu (the mascot pokemon, who for many of us, myself included, was the first one we met) who has been in a pokeball for 700 years, prior to being released by one of the bad guy's flunkies, a Kadabra named Ozymandias. Devoid of memory - forgetting even his own name - he is groomed to perform acts of evil by those who freed him; his heart clouded by wicked ways. His ultimate goal? To eliminate that miserable little Pichu...

So, what makes him so unique? Well...at one point in the game, a character proclaims she can see Aspen's aura; and asks if you, too, can take note of its color. Is it a brilliant crimson; so like the blood that stains his blade and the passion that once drove his spirit? Or is it a tarnished grey; a pathetic reminder of better times and lost promise? Or do you take the third option and admit you simply cannot see his aura? Each of the three options leads to a different outcome in terms of the character's backstory; and while the game ends the same no matter what you pick; Aspen's motivations for his actions (which are conveyed through internal monologue and/or flashback; as he never speaks, UNLESS...but I don't want to spoil what makes that so special!) in the final act vary greatly depending on what you decide he once was. In short - Aspen is replay value and a complicated deconstruction all rolled up in one =D (You'll see what I mean later on...)

Anyway, it's screenshot time!

The flower and leaf graphics (other than the large leaf immediately to the player's right) are credit to Zein and WesleyFG.

Yes, I know that I already posted a virtually identical screenshot to this one...so why am I posting it again? Flowers, dear boys, flowers. The large pink blossom is also an animated tile. The flowers/leaves were added in to help make the maps a little more lively and a little less empty; which is a big problem they had previously.

Water tiles by Kagenosensei. Pond grass and lilypad are by Don Patch

Your first encounter with water in the game! This little pond is in the first dungeon.

Here, we see our very first dungeon puzzle - a hole! What's it doing there? Damned if I know. How do you get past it? Well...it's not a terrifically difficult puzzle; though it might take a minute or so to get the trick

And sadly, the HGSS grass seen in earlier screenshots had to be taken out The problem with it is that I've edited all five of the default palettes to fit with all the other tiles we see; and not a single one of these palettes has the range of green shades needed to make HGSS style grass actually look halfway decent. I gave it my best shot and tried several different grass tiles, but it just all looked...really, really ugly ' People told me as much back in the day and rather than try and get that type of grass to work, I just went back to the tired and true that Ruby came with. If it ain't broke...

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; April 23rd, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Nerketur
PokéScripter

Nature: Quirky
This is just getting better and better! =D. And better. And better still. In short, I'm glad to see progress! As a bit longer, I'm lucky to have found this so early in its development. The people here are awesome, the game will be awesome, and the community wants it. =P. I'm going to be so happy when this comes out, and I hope it'll be even more awesome then.

As a side note, if you need sprites of anything PMD related and worry about using others work, I have done a few rips, mainly on Pokemon, but also a few others. Just, the colors are a bit different for my rips. Usually they are brighter than the Spriters-Resource ones. In any case, if you need them, I can let you use them. Anything to help this along. I brought this up, because I recognized the PMD water =P.

I can't wait for this hack to be complete. It'll be so awesome! =D

Hacks I support 100% (MUST SEE!):

Very well made hacks:

My work:
Figuring out scripting in PMD
Entire script map of LeafGreen
PMDSE (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Script Editor)
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Once again, awesome update Parka!
Tiles are beautifly selected!
And selection of your game...?
I love and hate that aspect of game :D
I love it because it gives you the possibility of choosing your own path but I hate it because you can't enjoy all possibilities :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Perri Lightfoot

New video time; showing off new traps. These ones inflict status! All thanks go to colcolstyles; who wrote the ASM routine that made these traps possible.

You can also get a few brief glimpses of the first real dungeon; though I didn't try to activate anything relating to its puzzle (you'll just have to wait till beta time for that .
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Kip
Highpaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
And selection of your game...?
I love and hate that aspect of game :D
I love it because it gives you the possibility of choosing your own path but I hate it because you can't enjoy all possibilities :D
You'll have to play it again and again and again then. (or peek into the script... but that's just lame )

I finished my picture (here, have a present - you deserve it):

The difference being I actually drew all of it this time. Well, in biro and it was quite small so it's a bit on the rough edge side. But still Pirca looking rather beaten up and staring into the sky.

Hope you all like!

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Congratulations on winning the April HotM! giradialkia will post here with your award when he's done with it. In the meantime, your thread will be stickied for the month.

Brother of Vrai
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Congrats man on your win for HotM..
You truly deserve it..
Hope to see more cool updates from you..xD

Old May 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Kip
Highpaw!

Awesome!

It's about damn time that this game got the recognition it deserves. :D

Massive congratulations PPG You've earned it!

Old May 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
starterra
The Zoroark Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Woohoo, PPG, it's great! Congratulations on winning HOTM!

Old May 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Congratulations on winning HotM. I love the traps you've implemented (nice ASM, Colcolstyles), but I think it would be a lot cooler if a different message was given depending on the status inflicted. :3

Keep up the epic work. :3
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
LightOfTruth
Likes Hacks and Official Games

Congrats on winning HOTM but I be fair to other hacks when I vote next time

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old May 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Perri Lightfoot

To all who left congratulations, who voted for me, and even those who didn't vote for me (everyone needs competition - that was one tight contest!) ; I want to extend a hearty THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart Your continued comments - the praise and the constructive criticism alike - and your general support are what keep me going on Super Rising Thunder. When I first started this project, I could never have imagined it would grow so large; and never even dreamed it could get HotM without a beta!

I'm almost finished with the new dungeon - mapping one small area is all that's left on the agenda - and from there I can then move on to the next dungeon; which will put me right about where I was in terms of the game's progress before I scrapped the original concept (Things moved along a lot faster back then, didn't they? XD ). I don't have much to show for now, but here's what I've got:

Holey moley, it's a mole hole!

We've seen this screenshot before. So why post it again? Well...

*hums the Zelda puzzle-solved jingle*

I've since finished up all the scripting, so that this puzzle is actually solvable now. This particular one requires four distinct steps.

colcolstyles has also kindly provided more ASM, this one for a damage-dealing routine.

This trap doesn't have a tile yet - it was put here only for beta-testing purposes, since I don't want to use a trap this brutal in an early dungeon ' It can also be set to deliver varying amounts of damage; though, like the PP trap seen earlier; it always targets the Team Leader.

That may be all for now, but stuff to look forward to in the next updates are red and gold trees (a nice break from all the green =D ), your first temporary Team Member, and wild tales of slaves and ruins. It all starts to add up to the deeper mystery of what this world had once been like; and what it ultimately means to you in the near future...
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Sarcastic Prince
Starting anew...

Send a message via Skype™ to Sarcastic Prince
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
Hm... I think I might know the solution to removing the truck movement and sound at the beginning of the ROM hack. I think the ASM for the truck movement is actually part of the Introduction ASM routine. So if only if I knew where the ASM for the Pokémon Ruby introduction is... then I might be able to remove the many ASM codes before the ASM code that starts the actual moving around the map. So that way the truck movement in the ROM hack could be removed.e.
Dude, you're making things harder than it is supposed to be.
There is a tool in the toolbox - called the "Truck Remover".
With a few clicks, it is possible to completely
delete the truck movement script.

Oh, and Pink, nice ASM scripts you've got there!
Now, your hack looks more and more like a real dungeon in MD games!
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Perri Lightfoot

To try and stop all this spamming/trolling/minimodding:

The mods are not "biased" towards me; asking for betas is against the forum rules. They are just doing their job; and certainly aren't "out to get you." And while I appreciate the fact that people are speaking up for me; it's not our place to chastise the spammers - if a post is uncalled for, just report it and it will be taken care of in time.

Technically, this game has only been in production in its current form since July 2010; when I went right back to the very beginning, starting with the title screen, and remade EVERYTHING. Added many more scripts, remade the maps, added a great deal more dialogue, changed the plot, added in the dungeon concept and the World Map, tweaked the graphics and HUD...I've put in a lot of work, and still have much more to do before I feel ready releasing a beta to the public. ' I've mentioned before that I don't want to release a beta when there isn't a good amount of gameplay and story to really let you guys experience the world I've been trying to create - one dungeon is hardly a "good amount of gameplay," and I'd just feel like I would be spitting in all your faces to present you with such a tiny, dried up old bone when I could give you a steak later on - and I think you all deserve steak. ^__^

ROM Hacking is not my only hobby - I read, I have a fanfic to work on; and I'm also an avid RPer. I also have a life that can keep me more occupied than I'd like at times; and unexpected events like my laptop's death and its expensive repair can also throw me for a loop. I just can't work on SRT every minute of the day, and while I try to make the best process that I can; I'll be the first to admit that I work slowly. ' The continued patience so many of you have displayed is a blessing, and to all who have stuck with me for so long, I thank you.

@Sarcastic Prince - I need to go find that tool NOW. =D And thank you so much for your kind comments and feedback! It really is looking more and more like PMD, isn't it? Though of course, I couldn't have done it without colcolstyles.

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; May 9th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:51 AM
micman999
Aspiring Mad Scientist

By the way Parka, hack looks excellent. Sorry for any trouble... =/

And it's a little late, but congrats! =)

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:33 PM
starterra
The Zoroark Trainer

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Parka Girl View Post
Um... That is a typo, right? Wouldn't it say "Injuring Him/Her!"? Or, does it damage the entire team? Because then it would say "Sharp thorns tore through the party's flesh..."
Sorry if I'm a bit nit-picky. :/

Also, how would you stop the player from putting Pichu in a PC box/whatever they are now?

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Perri Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starterra View Post
Um... That is a typo, right? Wouldn't it say "Injuring Him/Her!"? Or, does it damage the entire team? Because then it would say "Sharp thorns tore through the party's flesh..."
Sorry if I'm a bit nit-picky. :/

Also, how would you stop the player from putting Pichu in a PC box/whatever they are now?
Thanks for the feedback! It isn't a typo - it has to be "them" because there isn't an ASM-free way, to the best of my knowledge, to check a pokemon's gender and then display a value accordingly. ' I didn't want to use "it," and "him/her" would be over-complicating things, so "them" it is.

As for keeping the player from putting the Hero "on reserve" (what the PC was replaced with), there isn't a way to stop that. ' As I've explained in other areas of the thread, "on reserve" doesn't mean "not travelling anymore," it just means "not available to battle." Characters on reserve still appear on the overworld during scripts (or all the time, if the Hero), you just can't choose to use them in battle until they're placed back on active duty. Traditional RPGs have often used this exact gimmick, as well.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here