The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Parka Girl View Post
Pre-alpha bugs/other things that have been fixed:
-You can choose Picture Two now and not appear as a Leaf recolor. Hurrah!
-When you die, you spawn where you're supposed to, not in glitchy areas on the outsides of the maps. This was the most difficult part to do as it required hex editing and repointing the flight table and all that sort of lovely fun stuff.
-Selecting the Long Stick from the bag while on the overworld no longer glitches the game.
-You are no longer able to get "stuck" in the hidden room within Golden Trail.
-A few small movement permission/tile errors have been found and corrected.
-The Tangle Thicket puzzle gives you a hint to make it easier to try and solve.
-The "bushes" which worked like the PC storage system are now for item-storage only. You will never have more than five team members at a time (plus you, the Hero), as they join and leave your company as the plot goes on.
-There are a few more items, although in keeping with the spirit of the game they're (mostly) still invisible and you have to hunt for them. Food is scare and requires effort, young Pichu!
-Mini Dungeons now contain visible healing squares as a sort of "freebie" (but not larger dungeons). They can still only be used once, however.
-Flash-born (wild pokemon) levels have been raised to be more challenging.

Bugs that still exist in the game include occasional strange errors with Pansy the Beautifly's mugshot (the image that appears when she speaks), and text boxes that sometimes appear for just a split seconds when the Hero warps.
Are these fixes planned or already applied to the download?

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM
mew_nani
Flying out of the sun...

Nature: Brave
This game is amazing! It's like FF and Pokemon all rolled up in one! :D

This is a really original hack. The story, the graphics, the dungeons; EVERYTHING in this game is unique. I can't wait for the actual alpha to come out; I'm really anxious to see what happens next.

(press SPACE to continue.)
I support

By DarkDoom3000.
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
lizzzz
I want to be the very best!

Nature: Relaxed
This hack looks amazing! I can't wait for the official alpha version to be released! This is such an intuitive hack!
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:22 AM
alienhunterx

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Completed the game and I must say it was good . Found many tile errors and stuff but realized its just a pre-alpha so leaved that thought. Please continue this hack as it is one of its kind in Pokecommunity
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Modest
Got bad news for you all I WAS doing my damnedest to release the alpha today - a task that took a LOT of work and not nearly enough sleep or food over the past couple days - but when I actually sat down and play tested, I found a severe bug that freezes the game immediately after the intro I have to go to a fairly old backup in order to try and fix it, but as soon as I do I WILL get that alpha out, I promise!

I swear, I could feel my heart plummet when the game crashed on me like that. I hope you can all bear with me....but in the meantime, I can offer a few screens to make up for it.

Hey, it's Tara!

Rowan - formerly known as Aspen - and the mysterious Ozymandias...

Hmm, what's this place?

This "dungeon" is made up of four chambers of increasingly difficult Sokoban puzzles (as hard as they can be with a single "box", at least, which is all I've managed to figure out how to script so far). Solve them to get to the center chamber, where...

It's this Rowan dork again. He battles you. It's hard.

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; December 3rd, 2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Hold on, I'm an idiot ^^'
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Hai there, I am quite new to this thread so I am not really very angry that you couldn't release an alpha. I have seen some of your videos prolly back in 2011 or early 2012. They were awesome, needless to say. Your designing is good and as far as I can remember, the mapping and definitely the scripting is good. This hack feels so simple yet so intense. I like it alot, good luck on it
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
alienhunterx

Thats good that you are here again as I thoght you are gone for a long time. Very sorry to hear about your efforts which were ruined. Hopefully those stupid problems are over for your sake.
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM
mew_nani
Flying out of the sun...

My apologies about the ROM screwing up like that. Boy do I know that feeling.... =_=

Anyway the screenshots look really good and I can't wait for the alpha! :D

(press SPACE to continue.)
I support

By DarkDoom3000.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:45 PM
KitsuneLugia96
Trainer Silver

This is great, keep up the good work! :D

POKEMON SILVER SHADOWS
Pokemon Hack Series - Silver's Journeys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADnU40NuYw&feature=plcp
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Perri Lightfoot

Finally, after a bit of a delay, the Super Rising Thunder! Alpha release is here!

What's in the Alpha?

-Everything you saw in the Pre-Alpha!
-A complete Golden Trail, a new Mini-Dungeon, and a second full dungeon, Blackriver! (all that's missing is the tail end of a cutscene).
-Previously unrevealed dialogue and the full scripts all those screenshots came from :D
-Less bugs!
-Multi-stone Sokoban! (I figured out how to script it in the least cheater-friendly way possible)
-No more Jersey Quest cameos in the intro. In fact, the intro is gone entirely.

*Bug Fixes/Additions from the Pre-Alpha:
-When you die, you spawn where you're supposed to, not in glitchy areas on the outsides of the maps. This was the most difficult part to do as it required hex editing and repointing the flight table and all that sort of lovely fun stuff.
-Selecting the Long Stick from the bag while on the overworld no longer glitches the game.
-The "bushes" which worked like the PC storage system are now for item-storage only. You will never have more than five team members at a time (plus you, the Hero), as they join and leave your company as the plot goes on.
-There are a few more items, although in keeping with the spirit of the game they're (mostly) still invisible and you have to hunt for them. Food is scare and requires effort, young Pichu!
-Mini Dungeons now contain visible healing squares as a sort of "freebie" (but not larger dungeons). They can still only be used once, however.

Well, what about the bugs?

-There are still a few small issues with warps as of Alpha 2. Sometimes, when you warp to another map, a dialogue box pops up for a split second, or your character may randomly take a step. I don't know why this happens, but it does. It does not break the game in any way.
-Pansy the Beautifly's mugshot is still prone to glitching.
-Some minor dialogue boxes may not have been changed yet (I caught all the ones I could, but a few may have slipped past!) If you notice any relics from Jersey Quest or the original Ruby ROM, please tell me.

The ROM is locked for fairly obvious reasons - one puzzle is already easily exploitable with savestate cheating (Though I hope you won't do that. Sucks the fun out ' ); and I don't want people going in to Advance Map to see where all the items and traps and healing spots are, and to simply cheat their way through. Cheating will severely diminish the fun

Anyway, there you have it! This is a .UPS file, so if you do not know how to patch one of these, read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_10043236_app...s-gba-rom.html , and download the UPS Patcher here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/ . You need a Ruby (AXVE) ROM.

May your holidays be merry and bright, and I hope you enjoy FINALLY having a proper Alpha! :D Please point out any and all bugs or tile errors I may have missed, and to leave general concrit and/or praise. You guys are why I ROM hack still after all, despite how busy I can get!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pokemon Rising Thunder Alpha 2.zip‎ (958.0 KB, 144 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM
mikethepokemaster

this is my first time playing your hack and gotta say i love what your doing so far and can't wait more releases from you . im still in the beginning but i love it.
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:40 PM
alienhunterx

Quote:
Finally, after a bit of a delay, the Super Rising Thunder! Alpha release is here!

What's in the Alpha?

-Everything you saw in the Pre-Alpha!
-A complete Golden Trail, a new Mini-Dungeon, and a second full dungeon, Blackriver! (all that's missing is the tail end of a cutscene).
-Previously unrevealed dialogue and the full scripts all those screenshots came from :D
-Less bugs!
-Multi-stone Sokoban! (I figured out how to script it in the least cheater-friendly way possible)
-No more Jersey Quest cameos in the intro. In fact, the intro is gone entirely.

*Bug Fixes/Additions from the Pre-Alpha:

Well, what about the bugs?

-There are still a few small issues with warps as of Alpha 2. Sometimes, when you warp to another map, a dialogue box pops up for a split second, or your character may randomly take a step. I don't know why this happens, but it does. It does not break the game in any way.
-Pansy the Beautifly's mugshot is still prone to glitching.
-Some minor dialogue boxes may not have been changed yet (I caught all the ones I could, but a few may have slipped past!) If you notice any relics from Jersey Quest or the original Ruby ROM, please tell me.

The ROM is locked for fairly obvious reasons - one puzzle is already easily exploitable with savestate cheating (Though I hope you won't do that. Sucks the fun out ' ); and I don't want people going in to Advance Map to see where all the items and traps and healing spots are, and to simply cheat their way through. Cheating will severely diminish the fun

Anyway, there you have it! This is a .UPS file, so if you do not know how to patch one of these, read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_10043236_app...s-gba-rom.html , and download the UPS Patcher here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/ . You need a Ruby (AXVE) ROM.

May your holidays be merry and bright, and I hope you enjoy FINALLY having a proper Alpha! :D Please point out any and all bugs or tile errors I may have missed, and to leave general concrit and/or praise. You guys are why I ROM hack still after all, despite how busy I can get!
Awesome PPG awesome. I was waiting ages for this and finally a dream coming true. Good luck for the future
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:04 AM
GXS
<---Following Red ;P

I have a quick question, I'm stuck at the second major dungeon (the one where you team up with the butterfly, I forgot it's name) and I saw a little cut scene about alligned rocks but I can't get any farther. Is this the end of the alpha? Btw this game is amazing please finish it eventually because I am in love with it.

~Credit To Impo For The Beautiful Trainer Card~
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Perri Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXS View Post
I have a quick question, I'm stuck at the second major dungeon (the one where you team up with the butterfly, I forgot it's name) and I saw a little cut scene about alligned rocks but I can't get any farther. Is this the end of the alpha? Btw this game is amazing please finish it eventually because I am in love with it.
Nope, the alpha goes farther than that You see a cutscene about the rocks because they are important - try talking to them. They are in fact a puzzle that leads to an underground chamber, where the item that lets you progress past the Graveler lurking at the dungeon's end is waiting.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM
GXS
<---Following Red ;P

Quote:
Nope, the alpha goes farther than that :) You see a cutscene about the rocks because they are important - try talking to them. They are in fact a puzzle that leads to an underground chamber, where the item that lets you progress past the Graveler lurking at the dungeon's end is waiting. :)
ahh ok thanks. Once again I'm loving this :D

Actually I've talked to every rock on the map and none of them want to talk back... did I do something wrong?

Last edited by DrFuji; December 16th, 2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Perri Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXS View Post
Actually I've talked to every rock on the map and none of them want to talk back... did I do something wrong?
Did you notice that the six rocks that triggered the cutscene made a sound when you spoke to them? These six rocks reveal a secret chamber when you "talk" to them in the correct order. You have to listen for the sounds - a sort of ding sound means you've got the pattern correct so far, while a rough en-en sound means you made a mistake and have to start the puzzle over. If you've ever played the game Simon, it's much like this. You have to find the pattern through trial and error though listening to the sounds to reveal the hidden chamber.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:52 PM
GXS
<---Following Red ;P

Quote:
Did you notice that the six rocks that triggered the cutscene made a sound when you spoke to them? These six rocks reveal a secret chamber when you "talk" to them in the correct order. You have to listen for the sounds - a sort of ding sound means you've got the pattern correct so far, while a rough en-en sound means you made a mistake and have to start the puzzle over. If you've ever played the game Simon, it's much like this. You have to find the pattern through trial and error though listening to the sounds to reveal the hidden chamber.
Well that would explain it haha, I was playing with sound disabled to save battery on my phone emulator.

*****Btw i might have found a bug, but you might already know about it. Beautifly's speech icon looks inverted, heres a pic(just ignore the onscreen buttons haha)

http://imgur.com/II8LY*****

****I just saw this in the known bugs list... whoops***

But I do see a bug that isn't on the list, its a sprite glitch. After you access one of those PC storage bushes the icon changes into 1/4th of an orange...
http://imgur.com/zeXAR

And how far into black river can we get? im there right now but it seems like I can't progress. Sorry if I'm asking too much

Last edited by GXS; December 15th, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Perri Lightfoot

I did know about the bush glitch, a sprite edit can probably fix it but thank you for telling me! As for Blackriver, just walk about to find hidden warp tiles it is a complete dungeon
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:10 AM
pixelperfect87

Lol I died to the Nincada in Tangle Thicket... Drain Trap drained Quick Attack :(
But this is a good game:)

Quote:
Lol I died to the Nincada in Tangle Thicket... Drain Trap drained Quick Attack
But this is a good game
Just realized I was playing Pre-Alpha. >.<

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Last edited by DrFuji; December 16th, 2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:14 AM
MoosePlus
Unhatched Egg

this game is pretty great so far! =)
one minor hitch though. i can't get pass the 2nd sokoban puzzle! (that's what it is right?)
i got all three rocks are on a red tile each but i can't continue. or must a specific rock be on a specific tile?
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

The strange writing found in that secret room...some of it looks like cornscript. Did you get some symbols from Pokemon Quartz?

Also, would it be possible to remove the possibility of shiny encounters? If the only recruitable Pokemon are story-related, it must be heartbreaking to find a shiny flash-born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosePlus View Post
this game is pretty great so far! =)
one minor hitch though. i can't get pass the 2nd sokoban puzzle! (that's what it is right?)
i got all three rocks are on a red tile each but i can't continue. or must a specific rock be on a specific tile?
Yeah...just got there. I'm having the same problem too.

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*

Last edited by U.Flame; December 16th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM
swarleyboy9871
ace

Nature: Naive
will some one please just give me the download info thing please
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:04 PM
GXS
<---Following Red ;P

Okay i found a pretty big bug. If you die while fighting the shiny vulpix you don't get sent to the preveous dungeon, you get teleported to a rock with a pikachu on it which i think means you skip a whole dungeon, heres a pic of what I mean:
http://imgur.com/ex7xR
If you need me to explain how to replecate this in more detail just ask, but now im stuck in the room. I might have an old savestate but who knows how old it is.

And on a different note I saw my first ever shiny today, too bad you can't catch pokemon in this game, it was a beauty :'(
http://imgur.com/sAPun

Old December 16th, 2012, 11:49 PM
alienhunterx

When I played the pre-alpha I got confused with those 6 rocks as I tried doing everything at them but nothing happened. probably as I now learnt that I have to keep ON my emulator sound to solve that puzzle.:D
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Perri Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
The strange writing found in that secret room...some of it looks like cornscript. Did you get some symbols from Pokemon Quartz?
I just randomly scribbled designs to create the strange writing - resemblances to Cornscript are entirely unintentional! I guess there's only so many ways you can create a squiggle when you don't have very much room to make one in XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
Also, would it be possible to remove the possibility of shiny encounters? If the only recruitable Pokemon are story-related, it must be heartbreaking to find a shiny flash-born.
I've wondered about this same question, since I HAVE found a shiny while playtesting (a Sentret. Shiny Furret is one of my favorites ). If it is possible, it would be ASM based and not something I could do myself - but if someone else with more talent wants to explore this idea, they're more than welcome to It is a heartbreak - GXS a few posts below you actually had it happen to him

As for Sokoban puzzles a few of you were asking about, yes, it has to be specific rocks on specific spots, as explained by the disembodied voice at the dungeon's start. I created a video to demonstrate how they work, since the scripting of the puzzles had to be a bit convoluted in order for it to A. work at all, and B. be as cheaterproof as I could make it:

@GXS: THANK YOU for bringing that bug to my attention! That is one I did not know about (Dying to the Vulpix is supposed to return you to the start of Blackriver - I know just what the problem is. I forgot to fix the flight position when I had to script and map this dungeon over again due to the ROM breaking; and when work gives me a break I'll release a patch with this bug repaired as soon as I can Until then, I recommend everyone save before challenging Argo the Vulpix, and to simply reload if they die.

Also, I worked hard on adding in those Final Fantasy tunes, shame on all you people for muting the game~ (This is a joke, of course XD ) But in the future I'll have to remember to use visual clues - honest to Arceus, the entire time I was working on that puzzle it never once hit me that people who play with the emulator muted would be totally lost. It's odd how the most obvious things can slip past you when you're in the heat of working on a project!

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; December 17th, 2012 at 04:01 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links