The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

( I can't really explain what I really mean through English, sorry... =/ )
My feelings exactly DJG...
Words cannot express our feelings Parca, we must play it and feel it for ourselves =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Modest
<3 And play it you shall someday.

And now to move on to...

Traps

As you crawl through Super Rising Thunder!'s Dungeons (and its Mini-Dungeons, as well), take each step forward cautiously - for you never know when you might end up triggering a Trap! Traps in SRT work much like they do in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - they are hidden tiles on the Dungeon map that cause a variety of effects, both positive and negative. Some types of Traps have a chance of not working when you trip them, and some types of Traps (mainly Swarm Traps and Sticky Traps, though this effect only comes into play in later Dungeons) can be manually disabled by throwing Rocks on them. Other Traps will work all the time, every time, just to give you trouble. XD

So far, there are ten different Traps, but I am eager for suggestions for other Trap ideas. If you have an idea for a Trap (please don't suggest Trap concepts that require ASM, such as damaging Traps or status effect Traps!), by all means let me know! The more variety in the Traps, the better
  • Warp Trap:
    This Trap works just like its PMD counterpart does - trip it, and it'll warp you to a random location somewhere else on the map. XD
  • Sticky Trap:
    This Trap is similar to its PMD version. This Trap picks an item at random. If you have at least one of that item; it is rendered sticky and unusable, and is lost. If you don't have the Item that the Trap targets, lucky you! The Trap fails to work, and you get off scot-free. Sticky Traps in later Dungeons will try to take more than one of the targeted item away from you - imagine losing five Hyper Potions in one blow But you can save your Items (sometimes) if you have a lot of Rocks (what you earn from Battles, instead of currency). Later Dungeon Sticky Traps will sometimes give you the option of avoiding their ill effects by throwing a quantity of Rocks on them.
  • Chestnut Trap:
    This Trap works differently from its PMD counterpart. There; it's a damaging Trap, but here, stepping on the prickly painful Chestnut startles you into dropping Rocks (in other words, you lose money, and have less of it to throw at Traps, and less of it to use to heal yourself...). This Trap can fail if the random amount of Rocks it "decides" to try to take from you is more than the amount of Rocks you currently possess.
  • Slowpoke Trap:
    This Trap works in the same spirit as its PMD version - trip it, and you're slowed down. In other words, your ability to run is taken away for the rest of the Dungeon (or the rest of the floor, for bigger Dungeons). You'll be able to run again once you exit, or when you spawn on the next floor.
  • Pitfall Trap:
    This Trap works the same way in PMD. Trip it, and you fall back down to a lower floor. This Trap, of course, appears only in multi-floor dungeons.
  • Swarm Trap:
    Step on this Trap and you'll be attacked by Flash-born; all in a swarm. These Traps take the place of Trainer battles in SRT - they are often placed in unavoidable areas; and the battles can't be run from. You can, however, in later Dungeons, disable these Traps by throwing Rocks at them - generally, a way to try and escape with your hide intact when you're out of items and low on health...
  • PP Trap:
    Works much like its PMD counterpart. Step on this Trap, and it drops the PP of a random move known by the Team Leader to zero. This Trap always targets whoever's first in your party; for a maximum obnoxiousness factor. XD
  • Present Trap:
    This Trap works like Delibird's favored move - Present, of course. If you're lucky, the Trap will heal you and your team. If you're UNLUCKY, however...the Present explodes, and triggers a Swarm Battle. In some Dungeons, taking your chances with a Present Trap will be your only way to heal, short of using items...
  • Uplift Trap:
    This is a good trap - step on it, and it heals you and your team as quick as you please They tend to be difficult to find; and some Dungeons may not have one at all...
  • Exit Trap:
    The exit, of course. Because Dungeons are meant to be explored to their fullest; they will always ask you first if you're really sure you want to leave. Make sure you have all the Items you want to carry out of the Dungeon with you, because in many cases, once you leave you can't go back!
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Again, I'm speechless.
This is one of the best ideas ever :D

You could also include Poison Trap (that inflicts a status problem), I guess.
But it's not a very original idea.

Oh and I hope you plan to replace Potions and Ethers with natural items, such as fruits, berries and plants.
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Perri Lightfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
Again, I'm speechless.
This is one of the best ideas ever :D

You could also include Poison Trap (that inflicts a status problem), I guess.
But it's not a very original idea.

Oh and I hope you plan to replace Potions and Ethers with natural items, such as fruits, berries and plants.
*blushes* Thank you...though of course, I owe plenty to PMD for the ideas XD

Status problem Traps are an issue because there doesn't seem to be any way to do them simply through scripting - they'd require ASM, which is beyond my capabilities '

And I did just that - all those man-made items have been suitably renamed. Hyper Potions in the above post, for example, are known as Prikear Berries (after the prickly-pear fruit) in-game. XD Most items are renamed after a Berry, but some that just don't fit that mold find inspiration in other natural sources - the Macho Brace becomes "Heavy Log" (though I can't imagine much EV Training going on in this game XD ); EXP Share is a "Forget-me-Not," and the Shell Bell becomes a Bluebell, for example.
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
starterra
The Zoroark Trainer

Nature: Adamant
If you'd like, I can fix up a nice first post for you and PM it to you, so that way you can have all the new info like the videos and such on the first post. It would be the least I can do for my favorite hack, right?
Oh, and I nominated you for the HOTY in much more than one category.
EDIT: Sucks you weren't chosen. Not fair, actually. This hack deserves a lot more attention.

Last edited by starterra; November 15th, 2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Realized HOTY was already chosen.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Maybe a trap that takes you up a level a the next floor? A very useful one. :3
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Beautiful, awesome, epic, everything else idea =)
Will we see some other traps in new video?
I'm really excited to see the effects in-game =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Hm... traps, eh? Ah... those memories of the Traps in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. So they have made a return, eh? Wonderful! I do remember the trap that appeared in that last video you showed us all. As I see those traps are modified to suit the game's engine, I see.

Just to correct some of the names of the traps... it aren't called a "Slowpoke Trap" I'm pretty sure it was called a "Slow Trap".
And the Uplift Trap is actually called a "Wonder Tile".

And I'm sorry if I'm correcting things out for you, I do understand if it is your decission to have the names different.

But here's a suggestion:
Maybe you could change the name of "Exit Trap" to "Exit Tile" instead?

Oh and also... if you'd like... you could add a Poison Trap as well... so that a Pokémon would become poisoned if you stepped on it.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM
starterra
The Zoroark Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
Oh and also... if you'd like... you could add a Poison Trap as well... so that a Pokémon would become poisoned if you stepped on it.
:\
Pink Parka already said that she can't, because it's not scripting, it's... oh yeah, it's called ASM
That's too bad, though.

Old November 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Kip
Highpaw!

Nature: Rash
I've just gotten around to watching the last video. This game is just ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Everytime I think "No it can't possibly get any better, no way", it suddenly does. :D The story has really captivated me and I just want to know more and more and more about how this world works. The attention to detail is staggering, even down to the way the Chu's talk. If there is a beta then I'll be half excited, but then I'll be knowing that it won't be the full story and I won't find out what happens, but then again the game is so... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :O

You haven't just created a game, you've created a whole universe!

Oh, and may I offer my congrats in getting 3rd place in the 'Best Story' Hack Of The Year 2010 comp. I know I voted for you. For a game in the Progressing section that has no playable beta yet to get that far is a fantastic achievement, and it's a real testament to your epic story-telling ability. It's really well deserved and I hope it's the first of many awards.

Keep it up PPG - you've already got a dedicated fan in me.

Old November 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
lrush97
Beginning Trainer

Maybe a gust trap that sends you randomly in any direction like on PMD.

EDIT: By the way SRT! looks amazing, keep up the good work. Cant wait for a beta.

Last edited by lrush97; November 19th, 2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: ?
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:49 AM
starterra
The Zoroark Trainer

PPG? I just thought of something. What's going to happen to TMs and HMs? Turn them into some rare berries that teach you new moves? Remove them entirely?

Old December 7th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Nerketur
PokéScripter

Nature: Quirky
Ok... I just HAVE to say this is officially my favorite hack out of them all, and I haven't even played or really LOOKED at any of the others. I have always been a fan of the PMD series because you got to be a Pokémon, rather than a "trainer". This? It takes that concept to a completely new level. I almost can't even believe it's actually a RUBY hack. It looks, and even feels, like you hacked PMD to do all of this! You have done an absolutely WONDERFUL job, and I will support you in every way possible. Maybe I should really learn ASM, so I can help you with using it. As it seems, you're already a quite competent scripter, spriter, and musician. Even so, I'd love to help you on this project. I definitely support this hack, and will be adding it to my signature momentarily.

To sum my thoughts up... Your hack exemplifies the reason I'm a Pokémon fan. I would love to see it as a finished product, and you are also now my favorite Rom Hacker.

PS: Your hack actually gave me ideas on how to make a Pokemon-only game, much like yours =D I doubt it'll be as good as yours is, but hey, you never know. =P

Edit: OK, I've looked at Pokemon Identity, and I like it, but your hack so far is still my ultimate favorite. =D

Hacks I support 100% (MUST SEE!):

Very well made hacks:

My work:
Figuring out scripting in PMD
Entire script map of LeafGreen
PMDSE (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Script Editor)

Last edited by Nerketur; December 9th, 2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added another hack that I tried
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Blazesaga
Even heroes can lie in shadows

Nature: Hardy
This looks like it's going to be a great hack, and i've watched the revised intro videos and wow was that deep. (first time i've ever seen blood in a pokemon game, hack or real, verry unique)

Old December 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Kip
Highpaw!

Christmas pressie for you PPG (and everyone else who is a devoted to this game as I am). I've been all garphic-y all day updating my profile and I thought I'd do this. May I present Pirca:

I didn't draw the original myself unfortunately ' (though I'm working on it), I actually Photoshopped this image: http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/g...mon/pichu2.gif

Look at me giving credit. It's a Christmas miracle...

And here's a more-stylised-less-basic one:

The logo I came up with on a bit of a whim - makes it look more pro. It's up to you if you want to use it or not. If you like it then it's not a problem for me to do a hires version of it

Anyways, Merry Christmas. Hope you have a good one!

Old December 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Nerketur
PokéScripter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Christmas pressie for you PPG (and everyone else who is a devoted to this game as I am). I've been all garphic-y all day updating my profile and I thought I'd do this. ...

<snip>

Anyways, Merry Christmas. Hope you have a good one!
I think they look pretty good. I like the logo... but not sure if it fits the hack. PPG will have to decide on that. Nonetheless, it looks good =) I wanted to quote your whole post... but it wouldn't let me. xD

Hacks I support 100% (MUST SEE!):

Very well made hacks:

My work:
Figuring out scripting in PMD
Entire script map of LeafGreen
PMDSE (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Script Editor)
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:26 AM
VoltShark
This is war...

Nature: Careful
This game... just wow. I don't know how, but somehow you keep thinking outside of the box, paying much more attention to detail, like the blood on Momo, than most hackers I've ever seen has. The music is perfect with it, and the scripts seem flawless. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
treelove2
Pokemon master of Johto

Location: I originate from New Bark Town but now travel all over Johto and Kanto
Nature: Impish
This might even be as good as rescue rangers. But then, I like all games with a Mystery Dungeon style.
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

I don't know why I just discovered this gem but I love it. The Mom death scene definitely won me over. AMAZING! I can't wait for a playable version of this hack as I have always loved PMD styled hacks. The attention to detail is impeccable. Also I love that the great black one is a tire. It adds to the realism for me. I could actually see forest animals worshiping something as inconsequential to us as a tire.
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
LightOfTruth
Likes Hacks and Official Games

Voted for this on Hack Of The Month because its different from other hacks. Good luck mate

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old January 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Perri Lightfoot

Quick post (I'll make a longer one later ) to show off the latest video - traps in action! =D

...and I'm in Hack of the Month? When did THAT happen? '
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
treelove2
Pokemon master of Johto

Location: I originate from New Bark Town but now travel all over Johto and Kanto
Nature: Impish
Nice graphics for SuperTHunder. HOwever it could be better.

Poor Momo. Such a sad fate. What kind of hero runs away and leaves his sister to die??

Last edited by giradialkia; January 15th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
starterra
The Zoroark Trainer

Hey PinkParka? Stop outdoing yourself, please. You're too good at this. You're torturing us with the hope of a release date or beta.
Seriously though, the traps are amazing. Will the flashborn swarms be having different "trainer" sprites?

Old January 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Kip
Highpaw!

*gurgles with reverence*

Well I guess SRT won't be that plucky little hack outshining the big giants now it's really been thrust into the limelight. Deservedly so I must say. It's about time you got some recognition (though you did do well in HOTY'10 ).

Being all nerdy now, I absolutely love the UI upgrades in that vid - all those new bag graphics and text borders and whatnot - most hackers just ignore that bit but yours really shows attention to detail. Fantastic as always. Gives the game a really polished feel. :D De-capitalised and everything! And the way you've adjusted the trainer battle system is just phenomenal - really clever and it fits perfectly. One idea that does come to mind - in the Start menu, would 'Team' be better than 'Party' in this sort of game? Just a thought.

Oh yes, I have another pressie for you. I worked on them on my train journey back from Uni yesterday - thought you needed some more support banners.

They're based on that other one I did at Christmas. They're yours - if you want them of course I left out the bolt on the second one because it was getting in the way, but on the first it seems to work. It's entirely down to you if you want to use them or not - I won't mind either way. I'm just happy that a game as epic as this exists. :D

Once again amazing work. Keep it up. To inspire this much devotion in a game that isn't even out yet is just an astounding achievement. Well done. I'll be obsessively watching!!!

PS - I also loved your choice of soundtrack on the vid - who else was shouting the names of the various Routes and Towns that came up? RAVE POKÉMON!!! Could you possibly tell me where I may find it so I may rave to it as well?

Last edited by Kip; January 16th, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:10 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I saw your video update on YouTube.
I have to say, very impressive work.

We can clearly tell that you have really put a lot of time thinking of what would be a neat effect to use on those traps. The Slowpoke trap was my favorite one. xD
Simple yet cleverly used.

Keep up the great work~
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links