Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 28th, 2009 (02:16 AM).
RocketA81
Beginning Trainer

I am wondering if you have a pallet editor to the GBA pokemon games?
Old November 28th, 2009 (03:02 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Have you never heard of APE?
Old November 28th, 2009 (04:58 PM). Edited November 28th, 2009 by Full Metal.
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
also guys....
wouldn't turning the pokemon sprite editor into a trainer sprite editor be as easy as modding the ini?
I haven't actually looked at the ini, but still....
?
(goes to look, if my assumption is correct, i'll post a new INI in ROM hacking resources...)
*edit*
Okay...i found the table for the trainer sprites, but not the trainer class table, and also, the thought occured to me....
It would be kinda smart to make the program (sprite editor that is) ask the user if he/she wants to edit the trainer sprites/pokemon sprites, that way it can do both, and would make the code a little bit cleaner...course i don't know wut ur code looks like so yea...If i were you, i would just add 3 more lines to the ini, and the right interpretation.
the lines are:
trainerspritetable=0x--XX++
trainerclasstable=0x==YY**
trainerspritetotal=ZZZ
and that would really be all you had to do, except also be able to read uncompressed pics, because i tried using my modded .ini, and eh...wieell....it gave me that NOT COMPRESSED error. Which is why i suggested asking the user if he/she wants to edit pokemon/trainers after loading the ROM
Just a little bit 'o friendly, possibly pointless advice.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old December 1st, 2009 (10:32 AM).
Blaniel
Graphic designer/spriter

Nature: Relaxed
doesnt work on my pc (win xp: home)
any particular reason why this would happen?
It wont open.... all it shows me is: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).Click on OK to terminate the application.

[ OK ]

Old December 1st, 2009 (11:53 AM).
onyx79
Red Dead Revolver

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Blaniel:
doesnt work on my pc (win xp: home)
any particular reason why this would happen?
It wont open.... all it shows me is: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135).Click on OK to terminate the application.

[ OK ]
because you need to download microsoft net framework google it.
Old December 1st, 2009 (06:37 PM).
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

Quote originally posted by Full Metal:
also guys....
wouldn't turning the pokemon sprite editor into a trainer sprite editor be as easy as modding the ini?
?
(goes to look, if my assumption is correct, i'll post a new INI in ROM hacking resources...)
*edit*
Okay...i found the table for the trainer sprites, but not the trainer class table, and also, the thought occured to me....
It would be kinda smart to make the program (sprite editor that is) ask the user if he/she wants to edit the trainer sprites/pokemon sprites, that way it can do both, and would make the code a little bit cleaner...course i don't know wut ur code looks like so yea...If i were you, i would just add 3 more lines to the ini, and the right interpretation.
the lines are:
trainerspritetotal=ZZZ
and that would really be all you had to do, except also be able to read uncompressed pics, because i tried using my modded .ini, and eh...wieell....it gave me that NOT COMPRESSED error. Which is why i suggested asking the user if he/she wants to edit pokemon/trainers after loading the ROM
Well that sucks. Couldn't you just try to compress it or something. :/

Or couldn't you just try again; maybe you made just a little mistake. I'm a hacker not a tool maker, so I don't know. Maybe you could try asking Wichu or HackMew. * Shrugs*

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old December 2nd, 2009 (10:21 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote originally posted by Full Metal:
also guys....
?
*edit*
the lines are:
trainerspritetotal=ZZZ
It's only designed to load Pokémon sprites. The trainer sprite table might use a different format to the Pokémon sprite table, which would give you the same error.

Well, since the demand is pretty high, I'll add a trainer sprite editor to my to-do list. So far, it would be:
Cry editor
Footprint editor
Trainer sprite editor
Easy script creator
Old December 3rd, 2009 (03:42 PM).
Shadow_Knux
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Brave
This sprite editor is by far the most useful thing I've downloaded since Advance Map.

Just one question though: Is there a way to overwrite the older sprites? I tried using the "Front Sprite Offset" that the program listed, but it wouldn't let me use it when writing to the ROM. And UNLZ.gba still shows the old sprite when you go to that index. I just don't wanna use up all my free space for sprites, lol.
Old December 3rd, 2009 (03:56 PM).
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote originally posted by Wichu:
It's only designed to load Pokémon sprites. The trainer sprite table might use a different format to the Pokémon sprite table, which would give you the same error.

Well, since the demand is pretty high, I'll add a trainer sprite editor to my to-do list. So far, it would be:
Cry editor
Footprint editor
Trainer sprite editor
Easy script creator
Naww...i checked it myself
If i rememberzz correctly...they are both..
spriteptr, 4 bytes (maybe the pallette? i haven't checked...), spriteptr...
so yea...afaik they're the same, but i could be wrong

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old December 3rd, 2009 (11:02 PM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Well, aside from all the other things you are GOING to add, the footprint editor already exists...
I SURE people didn't know that, since they are asking for one, but to save you the trouble, a great one already exists... though if you want the pointers to the data...

00D3058C is the pointer to the first footprint

Each Footprint is 32 Bytes long

Good Luck
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old December 4th, 2009 (09:19 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote originally posted by Shadow_Knux:
This sprite editor is by far the most useful thing I've downloaded since Advance Map.

Just one question though: Is there a way to overwrite the older sprites? I tried using the "Front Sprite Offset" that the program listed, but it wouldn't let me use it when writing to the ROM. And UNLZ.gba still shows the old sprite when you go to that index. I just don't wanna use up all my free space for sprites, lol.
You could use the 'Set Write Offset' function; however, this won't guarantee that you don't overwrite other data, so it's not recommended. The sprite editor inserts both sprites and both palettes right after each other, making it harder to check whether there is enough free space to do so. I can implement this in the next version if you want.

Quote originally posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL:
Well, aside from all the other things you are GOING to add, the footprint editor already exists...
I SURE people didn't know that, since they are asking for one, but to save you the trouble, a great one already exists... though if you want the pointers to the data...

00D3058C is the pointer to the first footprint

Each Footprint is 32 Bytes long

Good Luck
I just searched it on Google. The only one I could find wasn't very good; it didn't allow you to import an image (you had to edit it pixel by pixel), had inbuilt offsets (i.e. it would be complicated to edit them if you repoint the footprints), and had no support for Emerald. I think a new footprint editor would be pretty useful. Thanks for the offset :)
Old December 4th, 2009 (11:14 AM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
You could use the 'Set Write Offset' function; however, this won't guarantee that you don't overwrite other data, so it's not recommended. The sprite editor inserts both sprites and both palettes right after each other, making it harder to check whether there is enough free space to do so. I can implement this in the next version if you want.

I just searched it on Google. The only one I could find wasn't very good; it didn't allow you to import an image (you had to edit it pixel by pixel), had inbuilt offsets (i.e. it would be complicated to edit them if you repoint the footprints), and had no support for Emerald. I think a new footprint editor would be pretty useful. Thanks for the offset
If you found the one by Mewthree Inc. then you got the one I have...
And of course you can't import an image, the images aren't really images, more like bit by bit... least in my theory... I tried editing it with a hex editor, bad idea, lol.
If you want to make one, go ahead, but it isn't exactly as important as some of the otehr stuff you have planned...
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old December 4th, 2009 (12:55 PM).
Shadow_Knux
Beginning Trainer

That'd be a great function to add to it. I would definitely use it! It would be really helpful for anyone wishing to conserve space.
Old December 5th, 2009 (12:02 PM).
onyx79
Red Dead Revolver

Quote:
Cry editor
Footprint editor
Trainer sprite editor
Easy script creator
wow those 4 tools would be awesome!
can you explain how the easy script creator would work?,it's sound interesting
Old December 6th, 2009 (04:03 AM).
Micael Alighieri
From Whack a Hack! RetroYouTuber?

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Micael Alighieri
OMG! This is so wonderful!!! See you next time, UNLZ GBA Thank you, this tool is very useful!

I haven't any error for now.
Old December 6th, 2009 (04:39 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote originally posted by onyx79:
wow those 4 tools would be awesome!
can you explain how the easy script creator would work?,it's sound interesting
Have you ever used RPG Maker? Instead of having to type out all your script commands, you can just click a button, select the parameters, and it will do the rest for you... I've been asked to make something similar; it will basically turn button clicks into a script which you can then edit manually or compile with a script editor.
Old December 6th, 2009 (09:07 AM).
Shadow_Knux
Beginning Trainer

Have you ever used RPG Maker? Instead of having to type out all your script commands, you can just click a button, select the parameters, and it will do the rest for you... I've been asked to make something similar; it will basically turn button clicks into a script which you can then edit manually or compile with a script editor.
That sounds like one of the best things ever.
Old December 10th, 2009 (06:38 PM).
CrashmanX
Mechamon

Nature: Relaxed
POKEMON RPG MAKER GO!!!!

If only nintendo released a Pokemon RPG Maker type game....

Credit to DragonSoul for the signature
Old December 10th, 2009 (08:51 PM).
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Link to foot print editor please if it really does exist?
Old December 12th, 2009 (08:35 AM).
MC50

Hi Wichu, thanks for the programs, just, I am getting an error message in the sprite editor whenever I go to save changes or write to rom.

Even if I don't import a new sprite, it will give me this error even if i just change the colours on the existing sprite.

Quote originally posted by PC:
The error is Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue the application will ignore blah blah blah,

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at Sprite_Editor.RomFunctions.ConvertStringToByteArray(String& str)
at Sprite_Editor.SpriteData.GetCompressedData(Int32 species)
at Sprite_Editor.Form1.WriteToROMButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
I even tried some of the older versions and it gives me the same messages whenever I try to save.

Your other two work fine. I guess its a setting on my computer but I wouldn't know, maybe you do?

Thanks.
Old December 12th, 2009 (11:46 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Quote originally posted by CrashmanX:
POKEMON RPG MAKER GO!!!!

If only nintendo released a Pokemon RPG Maker type game....
It's possible to make Pokémon games in RPG Maker anyway :P
Quote originally posted by nhockool1002:
oh no !!!!!!! Errors :"> :">
It might help if you told me the error you're getting... Have you installed the Microsoft .NET framework?
Quote originally posted by MC50:
Hi Wichu, thanks for the programs, just, I am getting an error message in the sprite editor whenever I go to save changes or write to rom.

Even if I don't import a new sprite, it will give me this error even if i just change the colours on the existing sprite.

I even tried some of the older versions and it gives me the same messages whenever I try to save.

Your other two work fine. I guess its a setting on my computer but I wouldn't know, maybe you do?

Thanks.
Hmm... If the other two work fine, it can't be just your computer. I'm guessing that there's a setting on it that's interfering with the tool, though... I'll attempt to find and fix this for the next release.
Old December 13th, 2009 (04:37 AM).
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Excellent, there's support for Emerald now! It was so worth the wait! (although it's probably been there for ages, I just haven't checked in a while). Anyway, kudos go to Wichu for this brilliant show of tool making:D. These are honestly the best sprite editing/replacement tools I've ever seen. I'm ecstatic that icon editing is now proper, kinda like Pokepic (but better, I think that only supported Ruby? It only ever worked on Ruby for me). And now I can finally switch my hack over to Emerald! MEGAW00T. Excellent!
Ok I'm rambling now. Thanks, Wichu

This one's called 'Blue', and it's very Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old December 21st, 2009 (02:43 PM).
rockeymon
Real life Silver Shirubaa

Nature: Serious
Thank you alot Wichu I was affraid of what would happen if I couldn't add Sinnoh pokemon to my hack xD.
Old December 24th, 2009 (08:06 AM).
onyx79
Red Dead Revolver

hmmm when you'll realese the trainer sprite editor?
since you've done a sprite editor for all the pokemon's trainer sprite editor will be very easy for you since there are like 30 trainer sprites(I don't really know)so it's not so much....
Old December 28th, 2009 (07:26 AM).
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote originally posted by myokan:
uh if this website is supposed to help hack pokemon games, where can I get a pokemon pearl map editor?
Try making your own Pearl Map Editor, because no one has ever suceeded making it. The closest one would be Mastermind_X who has the ability to display Pokemon D/P map models.

Sponsored Links