The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: What type of menù/ alternate screen would fit Garnet better?
Touch screen! 701 71.90%
Side screen! (like the Carbon one for the position) 244 25.03%
Other! (please explain in the topic) 30 3.08%
Voters: 975. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:00 AM
the-kahr
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Those new fakemon are simply awesome :O
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:06 AM
mulch_ar
What should I type here?

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mulch_ar
Wow, the sprites are incredible. But I'm more liking the old Mangrodon (the one on DA), the new one is too thin IMO

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
The Dewitty
Developing an awesome game.

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurysky View Post
Oh, good night, good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone here (so many places, so many hours, i guess)!
I have been quite absent those days 'cause of the school and the friends, and the exams and the music and the... ok, i should stop that.
I have to thank sincerely everyone and... oh Dewitty, i'm so sorry. I'm way too inattentive. I always forget something.

I would like also to introduce you a person who is working with us for quite long by now: our official scripter: Help-14, creator of Pokémon Special Adventure. He is working hard to add to Garnet the best and most original scripts: a new touch screen will be included as well as a new HG/SS styled pokédex. Minigames will figure soon and a lot of new improvement will be made, also to make the team work lighter.
I really want to bring you something new asap, maybe something different than environments and light effects. XD

Thanks again to everyone. Ah, i was about to forget. Garnet is not an hacked ROM, is a "scratch" game. "

Dewitty forgive me ;_;
Hahaha, doesn't matter, Im looking forward to the rest of the game.

~Ledyba~
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
I have to agree that the Pokémon are very impressive, but also that some look very similar to existing Pokémon. Is Pilug an alternate Cleffa evolution or something? Some of the names are very similar to those of existing Pokémon too, such as Corchic and Bascoon.

Also, I cout 163 Pokémon, not 162.
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM
eeveedude
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant
This game looks awesome! I especially love the Aipom Prevo. Can't wait to play. Keep up the good work.

^Made by Me^
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Heinze
~ Pixel Artist

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Heinze
Man i just saw de Fakedex now D:
I loved Cruscage, He is a great Cubone Overpowered XD
Your sprites are really different then normal pokémon games, you use a differente collor scheme and anti-alliasing, no dithering XD
Love the sprite style

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:56 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
lmao games like this make me look at my game and laugh at it... I like the screens the fakemon are the most impressive thing i've saw Only 2 game do fakemon right this one and Acanthite... Keep up the good work.
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM
hawk0rz
Beginning Trainer

Graphics look absolutely kickass =]

Look forward to the beta :D
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
xXRoXx
Beginning Trainer

Lol..How could I say it??Amazing isn't the word..Wonderful is not it too..
I'm brazilian, so I don't now how to write it but, it looks like "god maded", you got?
Now i've found the pkmn fan-game I was looking for years..

Perfect Fakes, Tiles and map effects...But i think you could try to inovate in the battle system, and use sprites, not "battlers".

Congratulations man, i'm your fan(I am making a pkmn in RMXP too..I wonder it quality can get in the foot of your game!)

Bye, Roxy RoX.
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
rexter101
Beginning Trainer

Your pokedex looks awesome so far!!!!!

Visit My Site http://newpokemonsprites.weebly.com/
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Karel_Kazuki
Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp

Nature: Quiet
and I sit here patiently for the updates...writing a storyline and outline is tough.....Especially if you lose track of some things along the way...

I am a university student, currently studying C# and looking for any practice pertaining to building my skills.I'm also a concept designer and storyline designer.

contact me here or at [email protected].

Screw Banners.I support all that is made.But Join these Forums!

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_...ex.php?act=idx
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
assasinn
Pokemon MAULER

Nature: Docile
Send a message via AIM to assasinn
I know how to make fakemon

Unfortunately I can't show it until I get atleast 15 posts
Well anyways, PLEASE READ THIS! You or someone you know has probably had this problem of Infinite Zubat Syndrome. IZS is mostly encountered at caves at nights. IZS is a much bigger problem for those who cannot afford repels. Symptoms include rage, super rage, diarrhea, and random FFUUUUUUs. If you care then please help spread awareness of this plague

Last edited by assasinn; March 10th, 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Pandemonioum
Trainer

Nature: Brave
Awesome FAKEmon's. This game seems to be getting extremely good, and I am impressed how beautiful the game looks. And also while checking FAKEmon's I pretty much decided which ones I wanna use the most, because when this is complete I need to play it a lot and experience every single one of them, surprisingly enought none of the starters seems better than the others so I don't know which one to pick, probably Toofin.

My main TEAM would be:

Incensire (Seriously badass looking, is it Light/Dragon type?)
Dungoon (Dunsparce evo, WTF! How did you come up with that name? Dunsdrake or Dynedrake come to my mind )
Monartide (Seriously, a rainbow karp how could you not like it?)
Lungrade (Dragon/Fire or Fire/Dark perhaps? Even pre-evos look awesome)
Cruscage (Cubone evolution line has always been one of my standards!)
Gallectro/Hummingbuzz (Flying/Electric and Flying/???, they are both really nice looking.

Now I throw you with some questions:

1: If you have time will you include Trick Master in the game?
2: What is toughness lvl of the game overall, I like most of the games and hacks made here, Fire Red Omega as my favourite because it was hard as hell. So how hard will the game be, I don't want to run through it without thinking, I want challenging gym leaders with nice strategies...probably a bit of a$$h***:ness can be included? (Potions!)
3: Will you make a Jynx evo? Jynx has been one of my fav Ice pokemons. (Damn Nintendo, didn't give Jynx an Evo while they gave it to Magmar and Electrabuzz, damn sexists!)
4: Also, my fav bug Pokemon Pinsir needs evolutions! Why has it been left alone for all these years?
5: Wouldn't it be cool to have more pokemons like Nincada that becomes 2 invidual pokemons when it evolves? Btw, it would be quite sick if Ninjask and Shedinja would have evolutions xD

Well I quess that is all that I have to ask and plea. Continue developing, I hope you would give some teaser video or probably even a small beta that goes to first gym...or perhaps you are already making it. Good luck!

Last edited by Pandemonioum; March 11th, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
mercurysky
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
Thanks to Help-14, Garnet has got a dualscreen itself. :°)
We have to work on the graphics, but it does work!

DA Profile

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Great screens Mercury, as usual.
The Autumn atmophere works really well, I love all of the little things like the logs and bells. Which of the tiles are from HG/SS?
I highly advise you to not use a dual screen system, it really messes up the look of your game. Not its graphics, but the fact it's there. Please don't have one.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM
mercurysky
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeky Chew View Post
Great screens Mercury, as usual.
The Autumn atmophere works really well, I love all of the little things like the logs and bells. Which of the tiles are from HG/SS?
I highly advise you to not use a dual screen system, it really messes up the look of your game. Not its graphics, but the fact it's there. Please don't have one.
Mmm... maybe a sidescreen like Carbon's one would be better? I was thinking of it indeed, but i need first to talk with Help.

DA Profile

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Yes, a side screen would probably be a lot better, although I'd have to see to beleive.
I noticed that the front page had a few errors (about 30...), so I fixed all of them. I've pm'd it to you as it was apparently too large for a spoiler and I didn't want to mess up the thread.
It took absolutely ages!

Demo Beta out Now!

Old March 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
sir.euge
Bunchies Back!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Yahoo to sir.euge
This game is absolutely the best ever. I looked through the FAKEMON and they were awsome. Im itching to play this wonderful game
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Zephyr+
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
Eh, not a big fan of the dualscreen. Expand the resolution and perhaps add a side HUD, or don't-- I don't have a problem with pressing start (or the equivalent) to reach a menu, and switching between mouse navigation and that of the keyboard is rather tedious.

...So get a snazzy menu, but drop this dualscreen business, it's really not worth it.

Your fakemon are a great inspiration for me. Continue being awesome! But make sure to give credit where it's due. c:
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:04 AM
mercurysky
Beginning Trainer

Because of the many doubts about the touch screen I made a poll.

You can choose between:
-touch screen
-side screen
-other (please explain)

DA Profile

Old March 12th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Lucar10
...sniff... Platinum Broke...

Nature: Relaxed
dudes good idea but no...

Sadest episode of PKMN: Crossing Paths ( i felt gutted for Jesse)

Best episode of PKMN: Rescuing Riolu Part 1+2 ( pokemon rangers rule)

My Pokemon in Platinum
Yay! Now i have 19 lvl 100
Platinum: Sami 1677 3998 8379
... But don't bother it broke
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at Pokeplushies!
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Voted Carbon style, if you're wondering. So now it's 50/50, although there are only two votes.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old March 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Klofkac
He's back!

I don't like fakemons so much.

I AM BACK!
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:42 AM
mercurysky
Beginning Trainer

Well, i'm open to all sort of comments, but I would preferer comments followed by motivations... anyway, I just realized that i haven't answered some questions!

Quote:
1: If you have time will you include Trick Master in the game?
2: What is toughness lvl of the game overall, I like most of the games and hacks made here, Fire Red Omega as my favourite because it was hard as hell. So how hard will the game be, I don't want to run through it without thinking, I want challenging gym leaders with nice strategies...probably a bit of a$$h***:ness can be included? (Potions!)
3: Will you make a Jynx evo? Jynx has been one of my fav Ice pokemons. (Damn Nintendo, didn't give Jynx an Evo while they gave it to Magmar and Electrabuzz, damn sexists!)
4: Also, my fav bug Pokemon Pinsir needs evolutions! Why has it been left alone for all these years?
5: Wouldn't it be cool to have more pokemons like Nincada that becomes 2 invidual pokemons when it evolves? Btw, it would be quite sick if Ninjask and Shedinja would have evolutions xD
1. I think that this question has already popped out trough the topic, anyway, it is in my plans to insert some sort of Trick master house. I loved that feature in ruby!
2.Well, i don't like extremely difficult games, but i like even less too easy games. I'll put also dungeons and enigmas to make the game "longer" and more elaborate.
3. I think the same thing as you for the new evolutions, but there is not a Jynx evolution. Anyway, as you have already seen there it is a female evolution for Teddiursa. XD
4. We haven't thought about pinsir...
5. That's an interesting question. Garnet lacks of multiple-evolution pokémons. Maybe the fakedex will be changed for this.

Quote:
Perfect Fakes, Tiles and map effects...But i think you could try to inovate in the battle system, and use sprites, not "battlers".
Well, we decided to continue with the standard BS. Garnet already needs long development time, a new BS would make it impossible to develop...

DA Profile

Old March 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I voted other.

I firmly believe a game should take up all the window, if you're looking at a single screen (as all PC gamers do). A dual screen is fine for the 4th Gen games, because the DS has two screens (no, it does, I've checked), but when you're playing on a PC you only have the one big screen. Turning half the game window into a menu just begs the question: "why not make the game screen bigger?". I have no problem with pressing a button to open a menu, since that's how practically every game ever works.

Having half the game window being taken up by a menu just distracts from the game itself. It feels like the menu is just as important as the actual game, which it clearly isn't (so why give the two 50% of the screen?). And it is always "half the game window" - people don't seem to have imagined that the lower part can very easily be smaller than the upper part.

A side bar is better, but if you must have one, make it as unobtrusive as possible. We're here to play the game, not look at the menu. It's better because it's different and would be potentially smaller. Not that a lower screen can't be a small strip either, but no one seems to have realised this. In fact, rather than a side bar, try using a lower bar that doubles as a text box during conversations. You get more game screen to play with, since messages are displayed below it, and because it's a bar you can simply make some screens (Summary/Dex?) a bit taller, rather than keeping a strict line to say "this is one screen, this is the other".

Having a menu visible at all times breaks the immersion, too. It's harder to feel like you're the player wandering around the world when you can always see the Save and Options buttons right there. D/P/Pl was better than HG/SS when it came to having an idle lower screen, because it showed the Pokétch, which is still part of the game. A menu, not so much.

An interesting (and disappointing) feature of all fangames that have dual screens is that they all seem to use it to display a menu. As I said, displaying the Pokétch is a better idea than a menu, because it's still a part of the game. But no, people think newer is better, which is why everyone wants to mimic HG/SS. I actually think better is better, but that's just me.

And then we get to the idea of a touch screen. I don't know how other people have their computers set up, but I have my keyboard here and my mouse here. I don't want to have to switch between the two at all during a game, and if I do just let it be for minigames. Don't make me have to keep moving from the keyboard to mouse every time I want to check whether my Linoone has found anything after a battle. That's just bad controls.

The DS is excused this because you can use your thumb, and the touch screen is right next to the controls anyway (and it's a major and popular product of a huge gaming company, which means it can pretty much do whatever it wants and people will love it). Fangames don't have the leeway to be half-arsed - for fangames, a small flaw is a flaw nonetheless, and people will pick up on it. A better game is not the same as a more technically advanced game, so don't put in features just because you can - put them it because they improve the game.

The only thing worse than someone deciding to do a dual screen and touch screen "because that's what the real games have" is someone doing that and then keeping the exact same design as the official games. I mean, if you're able to implement something as complex as that, you could at least try moving the icons around. Aside from a redesign being trivial for someone of your skill, it'd be new, fresh, original and other synonyms for "not a mindless copy".

That's my rant over. I think there were some good ideas in there, and anyone is free to use them.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here