The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Episode Discussion Keeping up with the upcoming and currently airing Japanese and English episodes? This is where you can discuss each of the episodes respectively.


Advertise here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Charaxes's Avatar
Charaxes
Pokémon Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 32
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Charaxes

Advertise here
Here is where you can discuss the origin of Team Rocket's Meowth in "Go West, Young Meowth."

My review to come forthwith.
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Jorah's Avatar
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Britland
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Ah, I love this episode, it's one of my favourites. I don't know why Meowth liked that Meowsy, she was horrible :/ And the people who tied up Meowth to a tree were just cruel :/ But the whole episode is just really cute, it's great that we actually learn why Meowth learnt to talk when Pokemon is usually rather hazy with back story.
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Charaxes's Avatar
Charaxes
Pokémon Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 32
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
I don't know why Meowth liked that Meowsy, she was horrible :/ And the people who tied up Meowth to a tree were just cruel :/ But the whole episode is just really cute, it's great that we actually learn why Meowth learnt to talk when Pokemon is usually rather hazy with back story.
It's a guy thing, Jorah, as I've been there, myself. And, yes, it was a good lesson on why humans suck... unless you're Team Rocket. Notice how they were treated the most positive?

And backstory is funny, depending on where you go and when you watch. Of the three "heroes," Brock's was the most developed, Misty's was so-so. Of the three Rockets, yes, Meowth was the most detailed. Then again, his story would be the most fascinating as "a Pokemon knowing how to talk," which makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
weedle_mchairybug
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charaxes View Post
It's a guy thing, Jorah, as I've been there, myself. And, yes, it was a good lesson on why humans suck... unless you're Team Rocket. Notice how they were treated the most positive?
Err, can you define what exactly you mean by that? I don't recall trying to steal pokemon en masse for a boss whose most likely a psychopath, trying to blow up a few Pokemon, or anything like that as being positive? Now, compared to other Rockets, they definitely are positive (I kinda have a huge hatred of Team Rocket [the Organization, I mean, not JJM] due to the murders that they committed to Pokemon, like the Lavendar Marowak incident, for example.)

Quote:
And backstory is funny, depending on where you go and when you watch. Of the three "heroes," Brock's was the most developed, Misty's was so-so. Of the three Rockets, yes, Meowth was the most detailed. Then again, his story would be the most fascinating as "a Pokemon knowing how to talk," which makes sense.
Yeah, I agree, though I'll have to argue that Brock's backstory was probably second most developed. All we know from the guy is his running the gym to help his siblings after both of his parents ditched them [or one parent dying and one parent ditching the family, if one goes by the Dub's mistake], Onix being his starter pokemon, and apparantly being neighbors with Solidad. With Misty, we learned that she was traumatized at an early age by Gyarados, apparantly learned how to play the tambourine at a very early age, only being given handmedowns, and having sisters that basically bully her in some way or another, as well as liking Water Pokemon because of a book are probably more of backstory material. However, there's still a lot to be left with her [we don't even know who her parents are.].

Considering how Meowth was tied up by those Baseball Jerks, I'm actually quite surprised that Meowth didn't seem to be even more upset at being tied up later on in the series (I mean, being tied up for having to feast on something even if it isn't yours for your own survival would probably traumatize someone).

Was it ever explained why the "Hollywood" in this episode was almost like... well... like Los Angeles in the aftermath of the attack in "Independence Day"? Also, was it ever explained how they even GOT to "Hollywood" in this episode (Assuming they are actually in Japan, and not on a different planet a'la Corneria from Star Fox.)? I put "Hollywood" in quotes because it isn't the actual Hollywood, California (at least in the Japanese Version, as they made a slight variation of the romanization of the name similar to "Acupulco"/Porta Vista from "Beauty and the Beach"). I mean, if it was the real Hollywood, California, they wouldn't presumably take a minivan all the way to Hollywood (Let alone can't, even IF we go by the theory of the Pokemon World being Japan, as Hollywood and Japan has an entire ocean separating them).

A less well known, but still significant, notable event is that we also learn why Meowth was able to stand on two legs (like his trying to talk, it was as a result of wanting to become more human to impress Meowzie)
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Charaxes's Avatar
Charaxes
Pokémon Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 32
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
Err, can you define what exactly you mean by that? I don't recall trying to steal pokemon en masse for a boss whose most likely a psychopath, trying to blow up a few Pokemon, or anything like that as being positive? Now, compared to other Rockets, they definitely are positive (I kinda have a huge hatred of Team Rocket [the Organization, I mean, not JJM] due to the murders that they committed to Pokemon, like the Lavendar Marowak incident, for example.)
Oh, sorry, I forgot to add "in the episode." J/J were compassionate toward Meowth, saved him from the Meowth gang and somewhat sympathetic toward him. Better?

And, understandable about the Rocket hatred, as, well, "they're bad guys; they're not nice."

Also, given Giovanni's attitude, I would argue him being a sociopath. He's more functional than your average psychopath.
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM
mervyn797
What? I'm right here. >D
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
i dont like persian. meowth is great, its a really good epi out there!
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
False Flag's Avatar
False Flag
Anime/Manga Junkie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
Ah, I love this episode, it's one of my favourites. I don't know why Meowth liked that Meowsy, she was horrible :/ And the people who tied up Meowth to a tree were just cruel :/ But the whole episode is just really cute, it's great that we actually learn why Meowth learnt to talk when Pokemon is usually rather hazy with back story.
That's why anime guys generally don't do romance and relationships. It leads to broken hearts and destiny isn't kind to that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Charaxes's Avatar
Charaxes
Pokémon Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 32
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Flag View Post
That's why anime guys generally don't do romance and relationships. It leads to broken hearts and destiny isn't kind to that.
And they have endless legions of fangirls to compensate. So, it all works. Heh.
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Jorah's Avatar
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Britland
Age: 23
Gender: Female
But Brock is unlucky and *doesn't* have legions of fangirls :P Perhaps a few...but not endless legions, the poor guy XD
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Charaxes's Avatar
Charaxes
Pokémon Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 32
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
But Brock is unlucky and *doesn't* have legions of fangirls Perhaps a few...but not endless legions, the poor guy XD
Brock doesn't count, as the producers have decreed him to be made of fail. Heh.
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
False Flag's Avatar
False Flag
Anime/Manga Junkie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charaxes View Post
And they have endless legions of fangirls to compensate. So, it all works. Heh.
Maybe it does after all, imao.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Charaxes's Avatar
Charaxes
Pokémon Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 32
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Flag View Post
Maybe it does after all, imao.
Well, if not Brock, look at Gary. In the Japanese version, all those women he had were his girlfriends. Vs. the dub saying his "fanclub," which actually made sense and/or made it less creepy.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/compar...nto/ep018.html

Incidentially, does Meowth have fangirls? Hmm....
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.