Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Oh, the horror! [Sprites of Shame]

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Featured | Spinoffs

Old September 27th, 2014 (01:27 AM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Pokemon have had some really cool sprites, but GameFreak's definitely had their share of bad ones as well. Go down one more rung, and you end up with the worst of the worst. The idea for this popped up when I was looking through the Metal and Color generation sprites out of amusement, and my eyes have taken a humongous blow. To refrain from cluttering this thread please only limit to 3 horrible sprites, and try to justify your sprite because some people may love that sprite, and it's only right that you back it up with your personal opinion of sorts. It dosen't have to be from the GB/GBC era, it could be from any era. Also, while this is near impossible, try not to repeat the sprites that others have already featured, but at least don't post a sprite that another user has posted on the same page.

Rules
  • Do not post the same sprite that another user has posted on the same page.
  • Include your personal opinion on why this sprite is bad.
  • State the name of the Pokemon, as well as the generation it's from in the format below.
  • Have fun, and you can get sprites from pe2k.com.

Sprites of Shame exhibit is now open for all. Discuss away, and have fun!

Ekans|Pokemon Green

Are you kidding me? GameFreak must've been drunk when they created this thing. It's mouth hardly resembles Ekans, and while the color palette is excusable due to hardware limitations, it's mouth is just glaring and horrible.

Golbat|Pokemon Red/Blue

This looks absolutely horrible. Everything about it is horrible. It's pose, and it's tongue is unusually long and sticking out like it dosen't give a care to the Pokemon world. God. And how do you justify those infant legs?

Chansey|Pokemon Red/Blue

Compare this to the other Chansey sprites. The one and only flaw with this is that it dosen't have a normal body nor does it have normal proportions.

Milotic, the Tender Pokemon

"Milotic is said to be the most beautiful of all the Pokemon.
It has the power to becalm such emotions as hostility and anger to quell bitter feuding."

Old September 27th, 2014 (04:27 AM).
adventure seeker
Moderator, CS

Nature: Naive
This is a fun idea, but since it's about the sprites from the games, I'll move it over to Pokemon Gaming Central.

mod of Roleplay Theatre and Pokémon General
paired with seeker, creator of Phoenix Rising
Old September 27th, 2014 (04:35 AM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Doctor:
This is a fun idea, but since it's about the sprites from the games, I'll move it over to Pokemon Gaming Central.
Sure, sorry for the slip up. I had a sneaking suspicion that this was the case a little while after posting the thread, but wasn't able to move threads. xD

It has the power to becalm such emotions as hostility and anger to quell bitter feuding."

Old September 27th, 2014 (06:44 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave

This thing is supposed to be mew idk what game freak did but ummmm.... im disgusted
Old September 27th, 2014 (09:14 AM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Dedenne1:

This thing is supposed to be mew idk what game freak did but ummmm.... im disgusted
Yeah, despite the hardware limitations, this is a real bad job. It's entire anatomy is screwed up, and when you compare this to the official artwork and sprites it's a league away. Sometimes these sprites really make us appreciate the present day ones, as well as the effort that GF has put into creating original artwork.

Old September 27th, 2014 (12:08 PM).

Those sprites are creepy..

If you truley hate minccino,copy the licky and this text and paste it in your signature.

Spoiler:
Old September 27th, 2014 (02:29 PM).
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I think older sprites are hilarious. Someone beat me to the punch, though - my favorite is Mew. Golbat is a close second because of its face. I think hardware limitations might excuse some aspects of the older sprites, however, many of the RBY ones have normal proportions while others... just don't. I think it's pretty funny to think about because I'm sure that most of the sprites went through several people before approval.

The bodies looks fine... but their faces are kinda scary haha. These are from Red and Blue, which in general has pretty nice looking sprites for such old games. However, Pokemon Green..

Several things in each of these sprites just look.. a bit off.
Old September 27th, 2014 (04:47 PM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Altairis:
I think older sprites are hilarious. Someone beat me to the punch, though - my favorite is Mew. Golbat is a close second because of its face. I think hardware limitations might excuse some aspects of the older sprites, however, many of the RBY ones have normal proportions while others... just don't. I think it's pretty funny to think about because I'm sure that most of the sprites went through several people before approval.

The bodies looks fine... but their faces are kinda scary haha. These are from Red and Blue, which in general has pretty nice looking sprites for such old games. However, Pokemon Green..

Several things in each of these sprites just look.. a bit off.
Well, Pokemon wasn't that big of a hit then if I recall correctly, so maybe they didn't go through enough QCs. xD

It's strange to think how the sprites in Red and Blue were by and large decent, while most of the sprites from Green just looked downright horrible. Wasn't Green supposed to be the Japanese counterpart of Red and Blue? Well, at least we got something better than the original group of people that Nintendo intended to release the game to.

Most of the sprites just have a problem, but the Exeggcutor stands out. How big can those heads get? If I ever caught an Exeggcutor, thank god I'd be seeing the back view. The front view would creep me out entirely. And Dragonite looks more like a house lizard in a costume than a dragon. Well, at least they've improved a whole lot, and perfected most of the sprites.

Old September 27th, 2014 (05:00 PM).

Man, the Japanese Red and Green had some ugly ass sprites.

I think that looks even worse than the NA Red/Blue Wigglytuff.

Charizard looks kinda off too.

And I swear that there's this one sprite that's really terrible that hasn't been mentioned yet, but I can't remember which one it is.....
PC Smash 4 Tournament
Old September 27th, 2014 (05:15 PM).
The Art of Bushinryu
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Alfieri
Behold, a donkey, I mean Charizard. >.>
Back sprites look even worse than the regular sprite of Gen 1 lol.

Old September 27th, 2014 (05:47 PM).
A Scene In Between
Moderator, BSCS

Sadly, all Pokémon sprites that I was wanting to post were already added here, haha.

First and foremost, one sprite from old games that I'm not too fond of would be Golbat. I understand that its mouth is meant to be huge, which it is, but what bothers me, though, is that it seems as if it were deformed, making it look hideous in a way. Not only this, but Golbat also has its tongue sticking out, which, if you pay close attention, you would notice as if it were not a part of its actual mouth; rather, something floating by itself in thin air.

Aside from above, I also dislike Moltres' sprite. Its wings seem a lot smaller than its head, which does make it look strange. I know they were limited in terms of dimensions, but I feel that they could have avoided this mistake had they turned its neck and head slightly more small. Due to similar reasons, I also don't like Articuno's.
Old September 27th, 2014 (06:34 PM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Yes, Charizard looks like a rip off plush toy than a flying fire lizard that it was depicted to be in the anime. :p

Most back sprites in the era of RBY and even some from GSC were bad, but it was excusable because of hardware limitations. I can't recall liking any of the back sprites for that matter from the metal and color generations.

Golbat is really the one that freaks me out, the tongue was entirely uncalled for. Why the doglike tongue on a bat? It totally dosen't even fit at all. But meh, they've done a good job fixing things up.

Old September 28th, 2014 (02:35 PM).

Nature: Sassy

Hey Arbok? Where is your mouth?

Vileplume is creepy as all get out in the original games. Just look at the thing! It's... ugh.
Old September 28th, 2014 (05:03 PM).
there are no lovers, only destroyers

Nature: Quiet

D/P/Pt and B/W Mew. Something about the face seems very, very off, and I find that particular shade of pink to be kinda gross.

Literally every first frame Ho-Oh sprite from RS to B2W2, excluding HGSS. Depending on how you count, this is either four or seven games' worth of sprites.

I'm not complaining about the art quality. It's good art. But recycling the same pose for three entire generations is supremely lazy. Surely it can't be that hard to come up with multiple poses. They recycled its back sprite pose from Gen II-IV, too, just to add insult to injury.

Gold Crobat. What a facial expression.

Old September 29th, 2014 (12:30 AM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Harmonious Fusion:

D/P/Pt and B/W Mew. Something about the face seems very, very off, and I find that particular shade of pink to be kinda gross.

Literally every first frame Ho-Oh sprite from RS to B2W2, excluding HGSS. Depending on how you count, this is either four or seven games' worth of sprites.

I'm not complaining about the art quality. It's good art. But recycling the same pose for three entire generations is supremely lazy. Surely it can't be that hard to come up with multiple poses. They recycled its back sprite pose from Gen II-IV, too, just to add insult to injury.

Gold Crobat. What a facial expression.
Mew's face does seem to be a bit... off, bit other than that it seems fine by and large. While this shade of pink seems a tad too dark for mew, it dosen't seem to be that big of a deal. At least it isn't purple, what could be worse? xD

The Ho-Oh sprites are interesting, it's definitely quite lazy on their part to do the same pose over and over again. While the pose is nice and while I would like new poses every generation, I can't really think of any pose that could replace the current one. A static one with it's wings folded wouldn't look too good...but meh. I'm no spriter, so don't quote me on anything.

The Crobat looks again, hardly lifelike as with most of the other RBY/GSC sprites featured above, and it's face just really makes it look like some sort of semi realistic plush toy.

Old September 29th, 2014 (01:26 AM).
Event Hunter

Nature: Rash
Don't forget out fat little friend
Old September 29th, 2014 (05:47 AM).

It's kinda funny how it's the exact same sprite, but each gen it just gets bigger.
PC Smash 4 Tournament
Old September 29th, 2014 (07:47 AM).
there are no lovers, only destroyers

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Musicality:
Mew's face does seem to be a bit... off, bit other than that it seems fine by and large. While this shade of pink seems a tad too dark for mew, it dosen't seem to be that big of a deal. At least it isn't purple, what could be worse? xD

The Ho-Oh sprites are interesting, it's definitely quite lazy on their part to do the same pose over and over again. While the pose is nice and while I would like new poses every generation, I can't really think of any pose that could replace the current one. A static one with it's wings folded wouldn't look too good...but meh. I'm no spriter, so don't quote me on anything. ;)

The Crobat looks again, hardly lifelike as with most of the other RBY/GSC sprites featured above, and it's face just really makes it look like some sort of semi realistic plush toy.
To me, that particular shade of pink is, quite literally, mildly stomach-churning in large quantities. I don't like seeing it on other sprites, either.

I'll admit, Ho-Oh is a Pokemon that doesn't really look good in a lot of poses, but I've seen some others that aren't bad. I own a Ho-Oh figurine that has it standing, with its head raised as if in mid-crow. That wouldn't look bad as a sprite.

Old September 29th, 2014 (08:12 PM).
Vengeance is Vine

Nature: Adamant
There is too much detail and zero taste in the actually design, let alone the messy execution of the sprites.

Very glad XY had refined designs, which translated well into the 3d models. It's beyond me that people actually like Kyurem fusions.

The issue I have with tynamo is the odd positioning. It's a complete profile of its body which makes it look disengaged.

Artwork by Fairy+
Old September 29th, 2014 (08:55 PM).
mare tranquillitatis
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Koishi Komeiji
Someone beat me to Charizard. It looks like what you'd get if you gave Dragonite a Fire typing. Speaking of Dragonite:

This is Charmeleon's back sprite form the Generation I games. Looks exactly like a Dragonite, in my opinion.

Kadabra's sprite in R/B looks like an Alakazam with a missing spoon and a slightly larger tail. No defining features, like the star on its forehead.

It feels mean of me to kick down the first generation while it's down, but...these are just bad.
credit

"When Gensokyo is completely purified, it will be transformed into a perfect world.
Into a beautiful planet with no life on it."
Old September 29th, 2014 (11:19 PM).
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis

Oh my god, thank you for bringing this Mew sprite up because I had totally forgotten about it. I really dislike the pose it has, it just bothers me for some reason >.>

Wow, that is pretty weird. Though I guess I can kind of understand why they did it - Ho-Oh is a pretty elusive Pokemon that can't be obtained all that often, so it was probably put on lowest priority for sprite redoing and then I guess. just never fixed? That is weird, though.
Old September 30th, 2014 (04:40 AM).
~Musical Melodies~
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by The Dark Avenger:
There is too much detail and zero taste in the actually design, let alone the messy execution of the sprites.

Very glad XY had refined designs, which translated well into the 3d models. It's beyond me that people actually like Kyurem fusions.

The issue I have with tynamo is the odd positioning. It's a complete profile of its body which makes it look disengaged.

Yes. It all comes back to me now. xD

Your eyes just hurt looking at this spirte, because it has way too much detail to fit into 80x80 or 96x96, can't remember the exact dimensions, so don't quote me on anything. xD

The fact that it's animated dosen't help at all, but most of the time you're looking at it's back sprite so it dulls down the problem somewhat.... I guess.

Yeah, it does have a weird pose, but in all honesty I couldn't see how else they would have done it without people criticizing them for having put in a lack of detail. Tynamo's rather plain, after all.

Quote originally posted by Yukari Yakumo:
Someone beat me to Charizard. It looks like what you'd get if you gave Dragonite a Fire typing. Speaking of Dragonite:

This is Charmeleon's back sprite form the Generation I games. Looks exactly like a Dragonite, in my opinion.

Yeah, it looks almost like a direct copy with some minor edits, but while you could blame it on hardware limitations, it dosen't even have a horn. It's a protrusion of sorts, and shares the same color as it's skin.

Kadabra's sprite in R/B looks like an Alakazam with a missing spoon and a slightly larger tail. No defining features, like the star on its forehead.

It feels mean of me to kick down the first generation while it's down, but...these are just bad.
Agreed. It's eyes are really off, and there's this black line that runs in the middle of the sprite and just really throws the whole thing off balance. It's nice to see that people are posting a mixture of older and newer generation sprites, it shows that it's not only the old generation sprites that are bad.

Old October 2nd, 2014 (10:40 AM). Edited October 2nd, 2014 by Nah.

IDK, I think that's a little creepy.

So's the XY model:

EDIT: I like all 3 forms of Kyurem, in both gen 5 and gen 6, btw.
PC Smash 4 Tournament
Old October 2nd, 2014 (10:45 AM).
Nightmare
Moderator, CS

Nature: Adamant

Okay so hear me out. Sure, this one is far superior in quality to the Green sprite, but look at this thing, it doesn't look like the Charizard drawn art at all! To me this looks more like it should have been a DRAGONITE sprite. The only thing they have to do is remove the fire.
Quote originally posted by The Dark Avenger:

I have to strongly disagree with you on these ones. Particularly in White Kyurem, who is my favorite of Kyurem's formes. I think it has a graceful elegance that works quite well. However, Black Kyurem is a friggin fatass and you can be as mean as you want to him, lol.

Old October 2nd, 2014 (11:21 AM).
Leave Luck To Heaven

Nature: Quirky
I'm surprised no one has included upside down Koffing yet. Bizarrely enough the Koffing from Green was much better.

Same deal with Mewtwo.

It amazes me that the few good sprites from Green actually got made worse in Red/Blue. It's almost like a pokemon form of communism where the ones that got bad sprites were improved but the ones that had good ones were made worse.

Here are some bad green ones:

Here are some more familiar yet nearly as bad Red/Blue sprites:

EDIT - Also the reason why I think these sprites are bad is because they look nothing like what the pokemon is meant to look like. Talking about the design of a pokemon is another thing entirely, but the whole point of a sprite is to make the thing look like what it looks like in design documents, and on that level, these ones fail abysmally.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)