The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:43 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Yahoo to SailorMuffins
Hello Everyone! I'm SailorMuffins, a friendly rom hacker. As you can see, I'm rather new here, and this is my first attempt at hacking. I hope to learn a lot from the posters here, so let's get this show on the road!

Pokemon: Flohing Pink

Hack of FireRed

Basic Story:

Spoiler:
Welcome to the Floh region! Floh was only recently discovered and has since developed into a nice open environment for pokemon enthusiasts to explore. While underdeveloped in some places, Floh has already appointed it’s Pokemon League, including Gym Leaders and a brand new Elite 4!

This is where you come in! Oak has recently retired from his work in the Kanto region, and has since settled in the Floh region, opening up Oak Industries. Oak theorized that a new region leads to new pokemon discoveries. You (male or female) have been chosen as the top trainer from Kanto’s trainer school and have been requested by Oak to adequately explore the region.

However, that is not all that is expected of you. Oak is getting old and tired; he needs a replacement to study pokemon. You and another boy have been chosen as the potential pokemon masters. Oak has given you this challenge:

“Each of you has been chosen as my apprentice. Now, go forth and defeat the new Pokemon League. The first to complete this challenge will become my personal lab partner and future successor to my professorship.”

And so it begins…

Gym Leaders and Elite 4:
SPOILERS! IF YOU HATE THEM THEN DON'T READ! IT GETS DETAILED!

Spoiler:
1:
Type: Dark
Leader: Alyssa
Pokemon: Murkrow, Houndour, Sableye, Umbreon
Badge: Shade Badge
Story: A really outgoing girl who loves the dark atmosphere of Clubs. She commands the use of Dark pokemon to battle fiercely as well as party.

2:
Type: Dragon
Leader: Amy
Pokemon: Dratini, Horsea, Bagon, Dragonair
Badge: Myth Badge
Story: A spoiled brat that paid her way to gym leader status. Alyssa despises her because she can never beat her Dragonair. Also sister to your Rival.

3: *CHANGED*
Type: Psychic
Leader: Lucas
Pokemon: Mr. Mime, Jynx, Chimecho, Lunatone, Starmie
Badge: Insight Badge
Story: A young blind boy that possesses rare Psychic ability. He does not speak with his voice, he communicates with pokemon and people alike telepathically.

4: *CHANGED*
Type: Fire
Leader: Byron
Pokemon: Numel, Quilava, Macargo, Combusken, Magmar
Badge: Conflagration Badge
Story: A hot tempered man that doesn't take losing well. He is under heavy criticism for his battle ethics.

5: *CHANGED*
Type: Ghost
Leader: Harry
Pokemon: Ghost Ponyta, Ghost Absol, Ghost Machoke, Ghost Raichu, Misdreavus
Badge: Protoplasm Badge
Story: An old man who has seen many of his pokemon friends pass on. His love for them is so deep that he can still call on them even after death.

6:
Type: Poison
Leader: Janine
Pokemon: Weezing, Swalot, Seviper, Ariados, Muk
Badge: Miasma Badge
Story: A fun loving girl that adores poison pokemon. Her father is a gym leader and former Elite 4 member.

7: *CHANGED*
Type: Ice
Leader: Max
Pokemon: Sneasel, Piloswine, Walrein, Glalie, Castform
Badge: Slush Badge
Story: A winter loving dude. Despite his love of the cold, he has a very warm personality.

8:
Type: Bug
Leader: Tina
Pokemon: Pinsir, Foretress, Heracross, Masquerain (Or Scyther if it doesn't work), Shuckle.
Badge: Metamorphosis Badge
Story: A quirky woman with a passion for Bug pokemon. Older sister to Johto’s Bugsy.

Elite 4

1:
Type: Grass
Name: Erika
Pokemon: Roselia, Meganium, Venasuar, Tropius, Sceptile, Vileplume
Story: Has since left Kanto. She took the position as Floh’s 4th Elite 4 member to better represent Grass pokemon everywhere.

2:
Type: Normal
Name: Whitney
Pokemon: Wigglytuff, Delcatty, Blissey, Lickitung, Porygon-2, Miltank
Story: Extremely emotional but kind. She took the 3rd slot of Floh’s Elite 4 after beating Erika. Loves everything pink and fuzzy.

3:
Type: Water
Name: Misty
Pokemon: Kingdra, Slowking, Wailord, Corsola, Octillery, Starmie
Story: After losing to Red, she trained harder than ever before to become Champion of the newly formed Floh region. However, she fell just short of Jasmine in prowess. Plans to overtake her soon.

4:
Type: Steel
Name: Jasmine
Pokemon: Scizor, Magneton, Skarmory, Mawile, Metagross, Steelix
Story: Champion of the Floh region. She is quiet and awkward, but kind and powerful. Her defense is hard to crack, leaving many opponents in the dust.

Champion:
Type: All
Name: Rival
Pokemon: ???
Story: ???

Features:

Spoiler:
A whole new region to explore!
Gym Badges are not simply earned by defeating Gym Leaders anymore! Some Gym Leaders are mean and will refuse your Badge. You will have to complete other side quests in order to receive the badge. Think of Clair from Johto.
New Starters! They are: Hoppip, Slowpoke, and Growlithe(may change Growlithe)
New Pokemon type! I will be implementing Dead Pokemon (so to speak) to gameplay. For example, you may catch a pokemon spirit in a graveyard, such as D. Ponyta, a Fire/Ghost type. Make sense?
All new scripts! Very little will be carried over (if any) from FireRed.
New Maps! Not the “look at the Saffron edit I made names Naffros City! I’M SO ORIGINAL!!!” *cough*
HG/SS Sprites may be used for Gym Leaders and Elite 4.
Returning characters! Old Gym Leaders will return along with past Elite 4 members as NPCs.
All Female Gym Leaders and Elite 4! Yes, except the Champion, which is your Rival. Duh.
Increased Difficulty! No, not the superficial Double Team crap either. Levels will be slightly higher and Gym Leaders will have more items to use against you. Move sets MAY be illegal in some cases. (Shuckle with Recover, for instance.)
Pokemon walking around! Some will be traps that start battles and some will just speak to you. I think this adds a nice variety to the game.
Gym Leaders will have their strongest Pokemon standing next to them in the Gym. This gives you an idea of what to expect.
Hopefully new tilesets if I’m ever happy with the stuff I make.
New Hero and Heroine to choose from! I’m kinda sick of Pokemon themed clothing so I gave them normal clothes. Sorry if that upsets you :x
NO ROCK GYMS!!!!! Seriously, if the Rock Gym was first again I’d tear my hair out.
Beefed up pokemon! I hate the fact that Caterpie, Hoppip, and other such pokemon are so weak that you can’t use them. I’m going to attempt to level the playing field a bit with better move sets and stats.
Gym themes! For example, the Dark Gym will be a club with flashy lights and cool music. Dragon Gym will actually be the Leader’s mansion and etc.
Starters will learn new moves until they reach level 80 or so, so don't be afraid to train them!

Screens:
Spoiler:
CHARACTER SPRITES AND WORLD MAP! PLEASE CRITIQUE!
This one needs to be fixed. The hair is ;_;

I think she looks okay overall... but critique is nice.

My first attempt at a map (and pallette editing for that matter...)
Try to ignore the pallettes if they're awful... I basically edited everything that I could get my hands on to see how it worked. ;

Here's a possible Route 1 that comes right after Oak Industries. Tell me if you like it.

Help and Team Info:
Spoiler:
Okay, so I know I said I didn't need help... but apparently I do. I need someone to help tutor me in overworld spirte insertion if if at all possible. I read a few tutorials, but somehow I always screw it up. Also, if anyone could help explain variables to me in XSE I would greatly appreciate it. I read the help file but I'm still confused. :c

Banner:

This awesome banner was completely made by mrhaxmaster.

Code:
Code:
[*url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=198494][img*]http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/mrhaxmaster/Untitled-1.png[/img*][/url*]

Take out the asterisk to use properly. :D

Thanks to Weight of the World for making the code.
Questions I have for you lovely viewers:

Spoiler:
Okay, so I want to make a hack that is really fun for most to play. Now, I have a few questions for any readers of this thread that would be kind enough to give me their honest opinion on some things. I want to make sure I make a great hack, so I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you in advance. :D

1.) Should I include some kind of evil team? You know, like Team Rocket or something.
2.) Do you think this hack is too “girly” or anything like that? I want this to be fun for both genders.
3.) Should I add in music? I don’t know how, but I can learn if anyone experienced is willing to answer my questions.
4.) Should I use the HG/SS sprites? I have some that I made already, but they look plain awful compared to HG/SS sprites.
5.) Do you think it’s okay to have Growlithe as a starter? It only has one evolution when Hoppip and Slowpoke have two….

That’s all for now. Thanks so much for reading. :D

*whew* Hope I did this right.... ;_; That was quite a bit of typing.

But not really, Muffins are known to be gentle creatures.

Creator of:

Last edited by SailorMuffins; October 25th, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added my first attempt at a map.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
shubshub
Master of The Y

Nature: Quiet
It Sounds Awesome Like
My Time Squad 2 Woops You Just Gave Me An Awesome Idea Lets Be Friends
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubshub View Post
It Sounds Awesome Like
My Time Squad 2 Woops You Just Gave Me An Awesome Idea Lets Be Friends
Thank you for the kind words shubshub. However, I'm afraid I don't understand your second sentence very well.... but sure, I'll be your friend.

Creator of:
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:16 PM
shubshub
Master of The Y

can i help make it to i am really good at it i can do the dialouge if you want

im making a game called time sqaud 2

Last edited by shubshub; October 20th, 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
can i help make it to i am really good at it i can do the dialouge if you want

im making a game called time sqaud 2

I left you a VM stating this, but I'll post here for others that may be reading this as well. You have to have REALLY good proof of your ability for me to let you work with me. I'm not trying to sound conceited, it's just that I believe in depending on yourself.

I'm sorry shubshub, but I'll need some proof first. Thanks for showing interest in my idea though, I really appreciate it

Creator of:
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
shubshub
Master of The Y

ok i will make a gba game called pokemon proof

it will be short

please enjoy it

(Hack fo pokemon fire red)

also the start of my pokemon time sqaud 2

and map edits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMuffins View Post
I left you a VM stating this, but I'll post here for others that may be reading this as well. You have to have REALLY good proof of your ability for me to let you work with me. I'm not trying to sound conceited, it's just that I believe in depending on yourself.

I'm sorry shubshub, but I'll need some proof first. Thanks for showing interest in my idea though, I really appreciate it

ok i will make it for my time sqaud 2

Last edited by shubshub; October 20th, 2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote:
ok i will make a gba game called pokemon proof

it will be short

please enjoy it

(Hack fo pokemon fire red)

also the start of my pokemon time sqaud 2

and map edits

ok i will make it for my time sqaud 2
Dude, are you trying to do? Post a hack through another hack's thread?
And using Lyzo's hack name as your own?

Nevermind. Mr Sailor, I'll post comments when you post screenshots, mkay?

Your knight from the plane of light
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
Chaos190
Likes to Hack Pokemon

Nature: Naive
Nice hack
I don't like the idea of all female girl gymleaders and e4 but still keep it. It's good but whitney will be pretty tough to beat

Would you like to be in a hacking team? Become a great hacker at the Chaos Productions!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=220406
------------------------------------------------
Support

Credits to aSeRo141414

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Why are the E4 and Gym Leaders only girls? can't see how that'll make everyone want to play your hack more. If anything it's slimming your audience, not widening it.
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKaNoRoU View Post
Nevermind. Mr Sailor, I'll post comments when you post screenshots, mkay?
Thanks NiKaNoRoU, I'll try to have screenshots up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypershadow189 View Post
Nice hack
I don't like the idea of all female girl gymleaders and e4 but still keep it. It's good but whitney will be pretty tough to beat
Thanks Hypershadow! Actually, I put Whitney in there because she was my nightmare in G/S/C. This time, she's going to be even tougher. I'm still debating whether or not to keep the all female thing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Why are the E4 and Gym Leaders only girls? can't see how that'll make everyone want to play your hack more. If anything it's slimming your audience, not widening it.
Yeah, I think you're right about that Spherical Ice. I initially wanted to make it all female because I'm a tad sexist I wanted a really different aspect to gameplay. I think I might follow your advice and make some of the Gym Leaders male... all female is just a tad overkill. I'm keeping the Elite 4 the same though, I love having Jasmine as Champion >.>

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I hope to see more of it.

Creator of:
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Chaos190
Likes to Hack Pokemon

Quote:
Thanks Hypershadow! Actually, I put Whitney in there because she was my nightmare in G/S/C. This time, she's going to be even tougher. I'm still debating whether or not to keep the all female thing though.
Oh F*** I can't beat in my soulsilver game and I always beat her
If she's going to be hard than Everyone going to say I can't beeping beat her
Oh you want me to insert Trainer Sprites I'm pretty good at it or so you think
And I can do Pokemon sprites as well XD
Proof:

Well I love inserting sprites

Would you like to be in a hacking team? Become a great hacker at the Chaos Productions!
Support

Credits to aSeRo141414

Old October 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Oh F*** I can't beat in my soulsilver game and I always beat her
If she's going to be hard than Everyone going to say I can't beeping beat her
Oh you want me to insert Trainer Sprites I'm pretty good at it or so you think
And I can do Pokemon sprites as well XD
Proof:

Well I love inserting sprites
Whitney isn't really hard anymore because you can catch fighting pokemon before the E4, but her pokemon have REALLY high HP. That Blissey is going to be a heart breaker for sure.

Oh, I've seen your work on other threads before. I'm pretty impressed, the trainers and pokemon seem to look pretty good. Is it okay if I ask you questions when I do it myself? I know how to do trainer backsprites, but I still want to learn how to insert trainer and pokemon sprites. I'll give you credit as my sprite adviser if you agree to help when I get stuck.

Creator of:
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
Chaos190
Likes to Hack Pokemon

Quote:
Whitney isn't really hard anymore because you can catch fighting pokemon before the E4, but her pokemon have REALLY high HP. That Blissey is going to be a heart breaker for sure.

Oh, I've seen your work on other threads before. I'm pretty impressed, the trainers and pokemon seem to look pretty good. Is it okay if I ask you questions when I do it myself? I know how to do trainer backsprites, but I still want to learn how to insert trainer and pokemon sprites. I'll give you credit as my sprite adviser if you agree to help when I get stuck.
ok
Whitney's blissey is easy to KO because it's lack of defense and it doesn't do much but give you a pain.
And sure I can be your sprite adviser not much going around in my hack expect about to release a beta
Since your hacking Fire Red there are so many more trainers than in Ruby so you have an easy time in this for Trainer Hacking.
BTW Pokemon inserting and Trainer inserting are real easy

Support

Credits to aSeRo141414

Old October 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
ok
Whitney's blissey is easy to KO because it's lack of defense and it doesn't do much but give you a pain.
And sure I can be your sprite adviser not much going around in my hack expect about to release a beta
Since your hacking Fire Red there are so many more trainers than in Ruby so you have an easy time in this for Trainer Hacking.
BTW Pokemon inserting and Trainer inserting are real easy
Thanks a lot for your support, Hypershadow! I've already inserted a few sprites into a test rom and it worked out pretty well... but I haven't tried putting in any HG/SS sprites yet, so let's see what happens with that. Don't be surprised if you get a PM from me

Oh, and one last thing about Whitney. You're going to hate the move Baton Pass after you beat her.

Creator of:
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Chaos190
Likes to Hack Pokemon

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your support, Hypershadow! I've already inserted a few sprites into a test rom and it worked out pretty well... but I haven't tried putting in any HG/SS sprites yet, so let's see what happens with that. Don't be surprised if you get a PM from me

Oh, and one last thing about Whitney. You're going to hate the move Baton Pass after you beat her.
Her Pokemon use Baton Pass alot
This is what Miltank's move list should be
Roll Out
Earthquake
milk drink
Attract

Support

Credits to aSeRo141414

Old October 21st, 2009, 03:27 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Her Pokemon use Baton Pass alot
This is what Miltank's move list should be
Roll Out
Earthquake
milk drink
Attract
I'm not really sure what her pokemon's moves will be. I'll keep that in mind though.

EDIT!: I took Spherical Ice's suggestion and changed the gender of 3 Gym Leaders. They are the Fire, Ghost, and Psychic Gyms. Thanks for the help guys!

Creator of:
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Glitch.
maybe making a comeback

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Glitch.
I love the story. its pretty sweet how oak retired and started a company.

Personally i think the growlith (i think thats how you spell it) idea is great.
but, i think you should make a pre-evo thats a young puppy or a evo after arkanine thats like a crazy dog on fire(lol)
If you need someone to make a banner just pm me. proof is my own hacks banner. Pokemon rainy days.
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhaxmaster View Post
I love the story. its pretty sweet how oak retired and started a company.

Personally i think the growlith (i think thats how you spell it) idea is great.
but, i think you should make a pre-evo thats a young puppy or a evo after arkanine thats like a crazy dog on fire(lol)
If you need someone to make a banner just pm me. proof is my own hacks banner. Pokemon rainy days.
Wow, thank you very much mrhaxmaster! I liike having Growlithe as a starter, so I might keep him. I might also make a pre-evo for him, but I wanted to avoid fakemon because I'm terrible at making them. I was thinking of making Growlithe evolve into Arcanine at level 30 and having his stats be slightly higher to compensate for the lack of evolution.

Also, I really liked the mapping you did for Rainy Days, keep up the good work!

EDIT: Added the world map I made along with some character sprites in the screens section. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Creator of:

Last edited by SailorMuffins; October 21st, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
I love that you're really dependent but it will be really hard to do this all by yourself. You need help. As for your sprites, they look good except there's too much black outline especially on the back sprites. You need to balance the colors out for it.

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Glitch.
maybe making a comeback

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Glitch.
heres the banner you requested

link: http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/a...Untitled-1.png
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
SethMetal37
I'm a zombie. BLARG!

Nature: Lax
This hack sounds pretty original, if you don't include team rocket or anything, it would be quite unique. I think if you had a lot of different rivals that would be kinda kewl though.

Want to create your own gym that people will actually challenge? Come join the Creating A Pokemon League Project, where you can create a gym that may be put into a hack!
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weight of the World View Post
I love that you're really dependent but it will be really hard to do this all by yourself. You need help. As for your sprites, they look good except there's too much black outline especially on the back sprites. You need to balance the colors out for it.
Thank you Weight! I was actually thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that you are probably right. I'm not quite skillful enough to make everything perfectly by myself. I'll edit the first post as soon as I feel overwhelmed or need help. That being said, I see what you mean about the sprites. I'll get to fixing them immediately and try to post the updates. Thanks again for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhaxmaster View Post
heres the banner you requested

link: http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/a...Untitled-1.png
Thanks again for the banner mrhaxmaster! It looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethMetal37 View Post
This hack sounds pretty original, if you don't include team rocket or anything, it would be quite unique. I think if you had a lot of different rivals that would be kinda kewl though.
Thanks Seth! I'm really glad you think it's original. I don't think I'll include Team Rocket, I'm getting a little sick of them to be entirely honest. However, there are a few other rivals that will play smaller roles than the main rival. Some of them will even be people from past pokemon games that I thought deserved a comeback.

Creator of:
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I can see you're questioning wether you should keep Growlithe as a starter or not, so I'll weigh in with my two cents. I wouldn't actually consider Growlithe or Slowpoke at all if I wanted to have a trio of two stage evolution families as starters (Like Hoppip - BasePokemon > Evolution1 > Evolution2). Slowpoke has the option of evolving into two different Pokemon, but neither of them can go beyond that final form into a second stage evolution, making it exactly like Growlithe, apart from the fact that Growlithe has no choice as to what it evolves into. Spheal would be a good example of a Pokemon that could remove the confusion and ireegularities of having a starting water Pokemon that is a Two-Stage Evolution Pokemon and does not have branching evolutions. As for a fire type... There are no Two-Stage Evolution Fire families in the Third Gen beyond the starter trios unless you have Camerupt evolve into a Torkoal or something.

Also, Hoppip is majorly weak compared to most Pokemon, up its stats if you're considering using it.

It is good for a world map to be linear and not be confusing, but i think that you map kinda' overkills it a bit. Your entire region is a straight line - The routes themselves may be excellent, but the world map is... Uninspired...

Four Pokemon for the first Gym Leader? I know that you want it to be a challenge, but I'd have to say that its a bit much at the beginning of the game. Also, just by looking at the Leader teams, I can see that the Dark, Dragon and Psychic Gyms will be beastly, while (Sorry, NiKa!) the Bug Gym appears to be a likely pushover.

Whilst I know you're using the original meaning of 'Holocaust', I'm not sure about naming a badge after it :/

Oak retired from Kanto to do the exact same work in another region?

You told people to be picky, so that's what I was :P

Its looking pretty much great, otherwise, and I hope to see good things from you in the future!
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
Four Pokemon for the first Gym Leader? I know that you want it to be a challenge, but I'd have to say that its a bit much at the beginning of the game. Also, just by looking at the Leader teams, I can see that the Dark, Dragon and Psychic Gyms will be beastly, while (Sorry, NiKa!) the Bug Gym appears to be a likely pushover.
Roflmfao, no offense taken. It IS a pushover :D

Anyhow, Mr Sailor. I think that the male sprite is a bit too short, don't you think? and do you have the OWs for the respective main heroes?
Also, the bordering is a little weird. I can barely recongnise the bag at the girl's battle sprite, as well as see a fat black line around her hair in the backsprites.

Your knight from the plane of light
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
SailorMuffins
in the name of muffins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
I can see you're questioning wether you should keep Growlithe as a starter or not, so I'll weigh in with my two cents. I wouldn't actually consider Growlithe or Slowpoke at all if I wanted to have a trio of two stage evolution families as starters (Like Hoppip - BasePokemon > Evolution1 > Evolution2). Slowpoke has the option of evolving into two different Pokemon, but neither of them can go beyond that final form into a second stage evolution, making it exactly like Growlithe, apart from the fact that Growlithe has no choice as to what it evolves into. Spheal would be a good example of a Pokemon that could remove the confusion and ireegularities of having a starting water Pokemon that is a Two-Stage Evolution Pokemon and does not have branching evolutions. As for a fire type... There are no Two-Stage Evolution Fire families in the Third Gen beyond the starter trios unless you have Camerupt evolve into a Torkoal or something.

Also, Hoppip is majorly weak compared to most Pokemon, up its stats if you're considering using it.

It is good for a world map to be linear and not be confusing, but i think that you map kinda' overkills it a bit. Your entire region is a straight line - The routes themselves may be excellent, but the world map is... Uninspired...

Whilst I know you're using the original meaning of 'Holocaust', I'm not sure about naming a badge after it :/

Oak retired from Kanto to do the exact same work in another region?

You told people to be picky, so that's what I was

Its looking pretty much great, otherwise, and I hope to see good things from you in the future!
Oh goodness, thanks for honest input! Finally, someone brings up some of the issues I was worried about.

First off, you make a great point about the starter trio. If I were to follow the evolutionary pattern of the original it would just be a plain hot MESS. Especially considering Arcanine's stats murder Jumpluff's friends and family. I have an idea to fix this problem however. Hoppip will simply be beefed up so it stands a chance, Slowpoke will evolve to Slowbro at level 20, then will evolve to Slowking at level 36 for it's final evolution stage. Growlithe however, is still left in the dust and that is where my problem lies. I'm sadly aware that I have limited options in this department considering Nintendo's seeming hatred of Fire types. I may just toss in Cyndaquil an let sleeping dogs lie in this case.

Also, I completely understand where you are coming from with my world map. I was rather concerned about the linear progression when I first made it too. I will probably end up redoing that, since it has one extreme flaw besides the obvious. It would be Hell backtracking through Floh for whatever reason. So, I will probably change it and try to make it a bit more circuitous in nature.

I was also worried about the Holocaust badge (thank you for acknowledging the other definition) when I made it too. I just didn't want generic "Blaze Badge" or "Spark Badge" like I see elsewhere.

As for the difficulty, I can see where you're coming from in that aspect as well. However, I gave them beast typing and pokemon choice for a reason. For example, the Dark gym will have trainers that use pokemon with weak stats and crappy movesets. Like Alyssa's Umbreon for example: I will probably give it Pursuit, Sand-attack, Tackle, and Faint Attack (which will be the TM won from Alyssa). That kind of moveset won't even put a reasonable dent in Slowpoke if the user so chooses to use it. Will it annoy you because Umbreon has beastly defense? Yes. Will it be hard? No. I'll test it out again and again until I find her a comfortable challenge. Tina WILL be a reasonable challenge however, with high level AI and tournament level moveset. Her Shuckle is gonna piss you off.

And I just realized, that Volbeat/Illumise crap needs to go. What was I smoking?

May your gods help you in the Dragon Gym.

Good gravy, that's a lot of typing. Anyway, thank you VERY much for adding in your honest opinion. I'll try to fix things accordingly.

EDIT: Crap, forgot to put this in. Oak retired from Professorship in Kanto to open up Oak Industries. The only kind of research he does now is perhaps pokemon medicine and whatnot. Basically, upon completing the quest you become the heir to his empire of professorship and his fat wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKaNoRoU View Post
Roflmfao, no offense taken. It IS a pushover :D

Anyhow, Mr Sailor. I think that the male sprite is a bit too short, don't you think? and do you have the OWs for the respective main heroes?
Also, the bordering is a little weird. I can barely recongnise the bag at the girl's battle sprite, as well as see a fat black line around her hair in the backsprites.
;_; And I here I was trying to make Bugs respected... *tantrum*

But seriously, I'll make it a challenge. If I can't when I get to that stage, Tina goes into the dumpster.

And about those sprites, Holy crap... I didn't even see those until you pointed them out. I think that was a piece of her old bag or something. As for the hair, no idea what happened there. I will fix it though,I know that.

Thanks again guys! I appreciate the help.

Creator of:

Last edited by SailorMuffins; October 21st, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links