The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Maxzeroedge
Ready for simply anything

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Maxzeroedge Send a message via Skype™ to Maxzeroedge
Well as the name suggests the game's gonna be pretty easy..
Story:
Its another cheerful day. You just can't contain the excitement of starting your very own adventure with ur poke'mons. You have proven urself to be a helpful, kind and responsible person till now. So you expect something good to start your adventure as you are a strong believer of Karma. :D
You reach Prof. X (Find out the name urself. I didn't decide yet) and find that all the poke'mon kept to give as partners were stolen. He gives you his own poke'mon (since you are responsible and dependable XD ) and asks you to find and capture two poke'mon from the Poke'mon orphanage ( ) for you and your rival (Now who must be your rival?)
The story begins (wait it had already begun) with you and Prof.'s poke'mon earlier and then with your own !!
Unravel the evil intentions of the world's most evil mastermind couple who have taken over the various underworld teams of the world (Rocket, Aqua, Magma, Galactic) in their attempt to rule the world by absorbing the power of the only poke'mon that can control time and space.
The previous leaders of Team aqua,magma,rocket,galactic extend their support to you by getting the details of faithful members of their teams and are set free (Yes they were in jail).
Time to save the world this time from a set of goons who try to control and distort time and space.

Features:
1. The main legendaries are four instead of one - Celebi and Palkia (initially with the enemies) Giratina and Ho-oH ().
2. All other legendaries can be caught AFTER u finish the League challenge. All means all of Hoen, Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh (did I miss something?) in the secret cave :D
3. Thinking about it now

Team:
None yet except me.... and I can do not much yet
Need:- Everything

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

I have barely started !! OW of hero (that even tentative!!)

Edit:
Spoiler:

Please don't say that I must stop making the hack and start learning all the stuff and then work with it. If this is what u want then mods please delete it. I know I am not very good but I got too many things to do.

Last edited by Maxzeroedge; October 31st, 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Dunno
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:38 AM
panthers4091
Beginning Trainer

Well, the story is just a little different than every other game. There are way to many hacks about team rocket etc. wanting power through legendary pokemon, while you get eight badges. You need to add something to make it more unique.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:42 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Right, to be taken seriously, use proper English. No "u"s, instead use you. OK?

Anyway, for a starting hack, ignore what panther said. If you are beginning, the simple stories are best, as they have worked for the main ganes, and are easiest instead of a complex story that only expert scripters can make.

Anyway, improve grammar, and also provide a bit more in the story, as well as Features, and eventually provide screenies. (As in, ingame shots, not OWs.)

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old October 31st, 2009, 07:05 AM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!

Nature: Modest
If you need help with everything...why are you even making a thread here? My general advice is that if one does not know even the basics of how to hack (and are apparently unwilling to learn them - it's one thing if you do want to learn, another if you ask others to do all your work for you), one should not attempt it. Rather than looking at a big, intimidating-seeming script, or beautiful tiles and sprites, or a great looking map and telling yourself "I can't do this," think to yourself instead "I can't do this yet...and maybe never could...but I can try my best!" People are much more willing to join a team if their leader shows some evidence of his own abilities and an eagerness to learn, rather than feeling like they're simply being asked to do some kid's work for him. Imagine a younger kid walked up to you in the hall and asked you a question: you'd be a lot more receptive to him asking you to help him with his homework than you would be if he asked you to do his homework for him, right? It's the same with ROM hacking.

The links to your screenshots are broken, I can't see the images of your OWs in your thread Copying the links into another browser tab did allow me to see them, however, so I can gives some feedback on this for you after all

Some people would be hard on you for using what are essentially recolors, but as I myself can't sprite well, recolors do not bother me as long as they're done well and at least show a modicum of creativity. But these sprites....well, they need a little work. I'm not a Fire Red hacker so I can't be totally sure on this regard, but your odd choices of colors make me think you may be working with the palette that was designed for the original Fire Red hero. Using this palette would be fine if your hero looked distinctly different enough from Red that the repetition of colors would not be a hindrance, but it seems all you've done here is to use random colors in Red's pallette (that don't go together terrifically well, like the neon green and the blue) to recolor your sprite with so it doesn't look as much like Red anymore. Switching the pallette to allow for a better range of colors that go together is okay! That way you can do what is mainly a recolor job while still having it look at least a little unique, and not like leftover scraps of the hero pallette decided to take over Red's body XD

I'm not quite sure what I think of that hat your fellow is wearing, though ' It seems to obscure his face to the point where I can't see his eyes - I know that you're trying to make your character look not so much like Red, but you have to keep realism in mind. How does your character see with his face obscured like that? Also, people tend to focus on eyes - it's just part of us being human - so a character whose face you cannot see looks shifty, and I don't know if I'd trust this fellow as a hero. Hero characters are rarely designed with this most important element of their face obscured, so I think, personally, that his hat should be raised up a little higher so we can see all his face, or he should forego a hat for some uniqueness and walk about bareheaded.

As for your story...well...it's readable, which is always a blessing, but your use of text speech - "u" and "ur" for "you" and "your," mainly - it doesn't look professional and could turn off people who might otherwise be interestedin your hack. Poor grammar or text speech in your first post could indicate poor grammar and text speech in your hack - and while this can be tolerable in great hacks that otherwise exhixit a lot of talent and ability (like a lot of what comes out of sites like WAH, for example), in a hack that doesn't seem to have much going for it at the moment it can be a death toll. Always run your first post through a spelling and grammar checker - since this is your big oppurnity to show the world of Pokecommunity that you have an idea (especially if you want a team to help you), make it look the best it can!

As for your plot itself...it's incredibly generic, but that's not always considered a minus in the world of ROM hacking. There are some ideas that show some promise (past leaders of the Teams helping you take down the jerks who took them down? Having to catch your rival's Pokemon for them? The latter would require ASM or a clever use of the Daycare script when it came time to give the Pokemon to your rival, but...it would be cool if you could pull it off ), but on a whole it seems like Fire Red, with some half-hearted window dressing to make it look like something else. Great scripts and great gameplay can overcome a deja-vu plot, but if you don't have those to stand on...an innovative storyline can make a lot of difference in catching a reader's interest.

I wish you luck!

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; October 31st, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM
panthers4091
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post
Right, to be taken seriously, use proper English. No "u"s, instead use you. OK?

Anyway, for a starting hack, ignore what panther said. If you are beginning, the simple stories are best, as they have worked for the main ganes, and are easiest instead of a complex story that only expert scripters can make.

Anyway, improve grammar, and also provide a bit more in the story, as well as Features, and eventually provide screenies. (As in, ingame shots, not OWs.)
A game can have a simplistic story without being a complete copy of an original game.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:19 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers4091 View Post
A game can have a simplistic story without being a complete copy of an original game.
Offtopic: But sticking to the original story can sometimes help, as it improves the hackers minor skills, and they can build off of that. As it is his first hack, I see that it is hard for a first hack to be changed, so I will let it slide, as he is a new hacker. If he was a better one, I wouldn't.

Anyway, seeing as you "can't do much", you have a choice. Learn, or get a team. Learning would be the best in the long run, as then you can do everything yourself, and not have delays from other people in the team. I recommend that you learn. In fact, it is preferable you learn BEFORE starting a hack, as then you can improve your skills without the need to do something rushed, then you can enter hacking with a good skill that you can use well, making your hack better than you can make it at the moment.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old October 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Maxzeroedge

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxzeroedge Send a message via Skype™ to Maxzeroedge
Now let me start with the first thing...Emm....what was it? Oh yeah story
Well the story is pretty too simple and b0ring for those who wanted it to be great and amusing and I actually kept it like that coz
1. I am a complete newbie.
2. I had more complex ideas earlier but I cancelled them down as I don't yet realise how complex a story can be.

About grammar, well ok I will correct it.

About my skills, well I can't do much means I haven't actually mastered anything. Its only a few months since I entered PC and I am a class 12th student so I got studies and school too.
But still I am trying to learn stuff. I am a basic scripter yet and am learning it (proof are my recent tweets. Check my profile) can do a bit of tile editing (did tile editing for only Pokemon gold) and trying to learn various other things like
Hex Editing.

And lastly about the hero, well he isn't wearing a hat
Its his hair, with blue head band (and its up because my sense of colours is not very good and hence the OW of hero is tentative) and u can't see his eyes coz he's wearing silver goggles
I didn't just change Red's pallete, I actually used OW editor rebirth version for it. If you want a proof here's it:
Spoiler:

Old October 31st, 2009, 09:34 AM
mahamaniac3
Owner of Pokemon Jett Version

Hi! The hack sure sounds pretty cool. Hate to be off-topic, but how do you make the 'Spoiler' boxes?

My Website: http://www.mahamaniac3productions.moonfruit.com/

Old October 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Maxzeroedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahamaniac3 View Post
Hi! The hack sure sounds pretty cool. Hate to be off-topic, but how do you make the 'Spoiler' boxes?
Thanks
Spoiler:

BTW remove asterisks (*) from this that should do it
[*spoiler][*/spoiler] or just go advanced.

Oh and I forgot to tell that u just capture two Pokemons in the game and then give to Prof who will let u choose again (o.O)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links