The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaga View Post
I am really liking this, as you know. Since we are on tile discussion, I might as well say something. I really like it, thuogh why dont you use different tiles. Most of them are the FR/LG ones, right? What about some custom ones, those always look better :3
I'm going to have to shoot you down here, FR/LG tiles are the best tiles out there. Along with Emerald, FangKing Omega and Ruby. Our tilesets fit together sweetly.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I love the Fire Red tiles. They're beautiful and simplistic and they work. We'll be adding custom tiles as we see fit to work with events. We added new houses and what not.

And I find most custom tilesets to be hideous tbh :3

Harry edit: lol beaten
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney Spears View Post
That first screenshot colcolstyles is one-tile wide to ensure the player doesn't miss the event.
I'm not going to make the assumption that you are a lazy hacker but I will say this: there is usually at least one way to activate the event without narrowing the path down to only one tile. However, seeing how I am limited to only a few tidbits of material to view, it could be possible that there is absolutely no other way to ensure that the player activates the event but I am doubtful of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaga View Post
What about some custom ones, those always look better :3
Careful there. Generalizations like those will get you into a lot of trouble these days (especially in this thread given that Manipulation is a huge fan of Azure Horizons).

edit: I rest my case. :P

Brother of Vrai
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:12 PM
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
I'm not going to make the assumption that you are a lazy hacker but I will say this: there is usually at least one way to activate the event without narrowing the path down to only one tile. However, seeing how I am limited to only a few tidbits of material to view, it could be possible that there is absolutely no other way to ensure that the player activates the event but I am doubtful of that.
It was a one tile width before the event was made. So, whatever. It's up to Luke, but I'm pretty fine with scripting another tile. I just had it there because of how the map was.
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

I'm pretty sure the player can deal with walking down a small stretch of one-tile path. I don't see why it's that big of a deal and why hackers constantly have to point it out ~_~
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Esper

One tile, two tiles, red tiles, blue tiles. As long as it's fun to play I don't see any problems. This looks like you're trying to get the story and game play done first and I'm glad to see that (but maybe I'm biased because of the contest :3 - thanks by the way and awesome concept for a game). I'd rather see a game that gets moving even if it's not perfect than one which nitpicks and gets abandoned with only the introduction finished.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Saiba Aisu
Sophistiqué

Nature: Bold
An extremely interesting storyline. This reminds me of the Oracle Betrayed series, in which the one person who can speak with the God (the Oracle) is lying and declaring her own desires as sacred law.

I'll be very interested in playing this game, and taking out that evil acolyte!

Discover the shocking circumstances that set the birth of the legendary crime syndicate into motion

Witness Team Rocket like never before.

Old November 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM
stranger
lost in las vegas

The story is some of the best I've seen in a ROM hack. You've shown some great initiative and are really flying through this. It's looking great, some good hackers on your team also. I think you know how well this is doing so keep it up, I anticipate a release, as I know it will be great.

every moment with you is an adventure
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
jjboy22
Beginning Trainer

i think id like to play it though id like to see the starters first i
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

Ohhai, since the project is going so good and I believe so myself, I come bearing a gift: my first sprite banner (made in MS paint ofc)

I hope it doesn't suck ;o

Your knight from the plane of light
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:08 PM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKaNoRoU View Post
Ohhai, since the project is going so good and I believe so myself, I come bearing a gift: my first sprite banner (made in MS paint ofc)

I hope it doesn't suck ;o

That's very good for a first try. Thanks for the support.

Also, I think it's time to reveal that there is going to be a site with all of the info, downloads, and everything else you need to know about Broken Beacon. It's being maintained by my favorite Mexican person in the world: Forgotten Memory! And here's a preview of the site:

Spoiler:

Stay tuned for more as we've moved on to mapping the next town. And goon has finished an amazing hack for the next city with a gym in it :3
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Awesome header! :D

Of course, Luke Jr. always had a thing for making websites. ;>

Good luck~

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Well here's the site!

http://broken-beacon.luccums.com/

It has everything except characters up. There may be things announced there not found in this thread right away so check the site every so often :D
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Daeva Okami-Luca
∞Protector∞

Nature: Quirky
Wow, can't wait to try it.

" 狗"
'Tengu Kyo'

Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
cadgod120
Your Rival

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Well here's the site!

http://broken-beacon.luccums.com/

It has everything except characters up. There may be things announced there not found in this thread right away so check the site every so often :D
So we should check there for updates before here?

Also, Check out my DeviantART account! Check out my newest deviation HERE! It's a support banner for Pokémon Malachite! :D

Need a banner made for your game or hack, or even a personal banner? I can help! Send me a PM telling me about your game or hack and we'll work something out!

Games and/or hacks I support:
Spoiler:

Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
5qwerty
Pikachu's Beach. No Surfboard.

Nature: Impish
This hack seems very nicely laid out, with story, features, and...Pastors?
Aren't pastors supposed to be preaching, and not battling some child? I mean, sure, if that's your story, go ahead...

And my Full Metal Alchemist senses are tingling...

Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Vanitas~
Ink Blot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5qwerty View Post
This hack seems very nicely laid out, with story, features, and...Pastors?
Aren't pastors supposed to be preaching, and not battling some child? I mean, sure, if that's your story, go ahead...

And my Full Metal Alchemist senses are tingling...
lol

Well, preachers/pastors have to do something between church, right? Also, your FMA senseis addicting....
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Yeah, I sprited/made/inserted us a boot screen. :> Aren't I awesome? It's simplistic, hell you only see it for three seconds. It's nothing major, but whatever. Just adding some eye candy to the ROM haha.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
Yeah, I sprited/made/inserted us a boot screen. :> Aren't I awesome? It's simplistic, hell you only see it for three seconds. It's nothing major, but whatever. Just adding some eye candy to the ROM haha.

Falls in love. <3

You have my vote for HotW.
Keep at it. :3
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Cardinals & Acolyte

Name: Minerva
Art: None
Hometown: Pietr City
Abilities: None
Embodiment of Gluttony

Pokémon:
  • Solrock Lv.54
  • Cradily Lv.52
  • Golem Lv.53
  • Aerodactyl Lv.54
  • Aggron Lv.56
For years Minerva was the runt of her family. Overweight, lazy and slow. Terrible traits to carry in a family of athletes. What she lacked in physical attractiveness and athletic ability she made up for in training Pokémon. She always managed to beat her numerous brothers and sisters in a convincing matter. Eventually she gained the attention of the church and was made the Pastor of her town. Her first order of business was to have her family evicted from their house and made her personal servants. When this was found out, she was kicked from her position and imprisoned. However, when the new Acolyte took over, she was released and promoted to one the four Cardinal positions. Her room is full of food, wine and other excesses of luxury.

Name: Gustav
Hometown: Stalwart's Oasis
Embodiment of Lust

Pokémon:
  • Armaldo Lv.55
  • Venomoth Lv.56
  • Heracross Lv. 54
  • Beedrill Lv.56
  • Pinsir Lv.57
Gustav was known for his ability to charm any woman with his dashing good lucks and charm. He married almost every rich widow in the country. Inexplicably, they died soon after but it was never proven he played a part in her death. He used his new found wealth to seduce every woman in the country. Eventually he charmed his way into a position of power in the church. However, he was discovered poisoning a Pastor's drink and thrown in jail. Much like Minerva, when the new Acolyte took over, Gustav was promoted to an Cardinal position.

Name: Simone
Hometown: Olympia City
Embodiment of Envy

Pokémon:
  • Magneton Lv.55
  • Forretress Lv. 56
  • Metagross Lv.58
  • Skarmory Lv.57
  • Mawile Lv.59
Born into a life of religion. Since her birth, she has been groomed to be the leader of the many sisters who served Ho-oh. She was angered by her life and wanted nothing more than to break free. She was kept under tight supervision and eventually Simone gave into what was expected of her. She quickly showed great aptitude at what she did. However, if any other girl started to outshine her, she had them removed from the order and forced into some form of servitude. Her dolls had to be the best, her dresses made of the finest materials and no other person could have better Pokémon. Due to her position, she was automatically made a Cardinal, making her the only one of the four to not be handpicked by the Acolyte. She admires him though and does whatever he orders.

Name: Peter
Hometown: Hoenn
Abilities: Piracy
Embodiment of Sloth

Pokémon:
  • Whiscash Lv.58
  • Tentacruel Lv. 58
  • Ludicolo Lv.57
  • Lanturn Lv.59
  • Gyarados Lv.60
Known around the world as the "Scarlet Marauder." His piracy knew no limits: trade ships, cruise ships, rafts or submarines. If they were on the sea, they were prey for Peter. His days were numbered when his ship crashed into Ho-oh's Crest and he was captured by the church. He was convicted of numerous crimes and sentenced to death. Fortunately for him, the day of his execution also marked the day of the new Acolyte taking over. He was immediately pardoned and made the top ranking Cardinal. In gratitude, he is overly loyal to the Acolyte. He would do ANYHING for him.

~*~*~*~*~

Name: Vladimir
Hometown: Unknown
Abilities: Unknown
Embodiment of Greed, Wrath and Pride

Pokémon:
  • Walrein Lv.60
  • Shiftry Lv.59
  • Machamp Lv.59
  • Manectric Lv.60
  • Gengar Lv.61
  • Arcanine Lv.62
A mysterious man who appeared on the island after the previous Acolyte's death and came forward with a legitimate claim to the position. With no other choice, the church anointed him and became the newest Acolyte. He made sweeping changes, including adopting policies from the Pokémon League, canceling many festivals and bringing three new Cardinals on board. All former criminals, he declared the theme of the year to be 'Repentance.' However to some, they sense something malicious behind his decisions and a resistance movement has been growing in opposition to his rule.
REAL SPOILERS UNDER HERE:
Spoiler:
Vladimir is actually a former Team Rocket Member hired by the Pokémon League to infiltrate Ho-oh's crest. His brother is actually the legitimate heir to the position but he apparently died several years earlier. Assuming his identity, he moved in and claimed the position. His goal is to bring the island under the League's control and the start collecting taxes from the immense wealth the island holds. Along the way, Vladimir discovered the festival celebrating Ho-oh's Wish. Being a former Rocket member, he knows a golden opportunity when he sees one. He decides to use this chance to revive the Gang with him as leader and more powerful then before.

Last edited by mystletainn; November 27th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Just thought I'd mention that lust isn't necessarily sexual, even though it's usually meant as that. It can be for anything intangible, like power. And I'd think power would work better in this case.

Other than that, it looks epic.
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
psychicboy
Hacking is all that matters...

Nature: Hasty
We can has beta nows? :D Nah but in all seriousness, your hack looks very epic right now. The storylines great without changing too much of the basic pokemon formula we've all come to love. I'm really looking forward to the first beta!

Wanna play my hack? Check it out here!

My sig was "too big brah", so I shortened it.
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:01 AM
aquadan
is searching for members

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to aquadan
wow luke your hack is soooo epic developing nicely :D

Your character detail is more than just looks and simple natures, you can imagine the character, and then the lil twists you make it even better :)

But enough of the praise, let get on to what i hate about this hack. oh wait there is nothing. :P

Although it may be a bit out dated; someone said that why people would treat a pokemon like a god, when pokemon are pets and all i can say is:
Indians have cow's as there god.
different cultures see things differently (like Chinese people and cats)

Oh there was something Luke, the 3rd gyn leader likes mexican food.
This is like your only refrence to earth. maybe change it too spicy food?

Only a suggestion!!!!

Good luck
xx

a upcoming stylish and original hacking team
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicboy View Post
We can has beta nows? :D Nah but in all seriousness, your hack looks very epic right now. The storylines great without changing too much of the basic pokemon formula we've all come to love. I'm really looking forward to the first beta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadan View Post
wow luke your hack is soooo epic developing nicely :D

Your character detail is more than just looks and simple natures, you can imagine the character, and then the lil twists you make it even better :)

But enough of the praise, let get on to what i hate about this hack. oh wait there is nothing. :P

Although it may be a bit out dated; someone said that why people would treat a pokemon like a god, when pokemon are pets and all i can say is:
Indians have cow's as there god.
different cultures see things differently (like Chinese people and cats)

Oh there was something Luke, the 3rd gyn leader likes mexican food.
This is like your only refrence to earth. maybe change it too spicy food?

Only a suggestion!!!!

Good luck
xx
There are several references to the real world in this game and Mexican food is a reference to the person the character is based on.

UPDATEUPDATEUPDATE

Yes, Honey Trees make an appearance in Broken Beacon. About a year ago, an organization of Flora & Fauna enthusiasts traveled to Ho-oh's Crest. They brought with them numerous trees from Sinnoh to increase the insect population on the island (hence why the trees stick out in comparison to everything else on the island). The trees function like Headbutt in this game.

Grumpy hiker...

One of two rivals in the game. When we find a reliable OW spriter, his appearance will change. His role in the game is an enforcer from the Church sent around to take care of issues that may hurt the church. As you move along, he becomes more interested in your goals. Whether he supports them or wishes to stop them is unclear.

We'll have a video soon of one of our awesome events.

Last edited by mystletainn; November 29th, 2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
Quote:
UPDATEUPDATEUPDATE

Yes, Honey Trees make an appearance in Broken Beacon. About a year ago, an organization of Flora & Fauna enthusiasts traveled to Ho-oh's Crest. They brought with them numerous trees from Sinnoh to increase the insect population on the island (hence why the trees stick out in comparison to everything else on the island). The trees function like Headbutt in this game.

Grumpy hiker...

One of two rivals in the game. When we find a reliable OW spriter, his appearance will change. His role in the game is an enforcer from the Church sent around to take care of issues that may hurt the church. As you move along, he becomes more interested in your goals. Whether he supports them or wishes to stop them is unclear.

We'll have a video soon of one of our awesome events.
I like the implementation of the honey trees. It would be cool if they could work like D/P whre you wait for a while, it's possible if you check the amount of steps the player has walked as a form of time. :3

Sponsored Links