Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page Idea What would you'd prefer?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Old November 3rd, 2009 (08:58 PM).
guahh my dog is so cute
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
I've noticed that in ROM hacking, there are two types of mods. Although, inside these two, there are subsections that each a mod may fit into, but each one, in my opinion, clicks into whether has innovation in storyline, plot, scripts, or whatever makes a hack. Then there is what everybody has seen, the regular arrival into pokemon. Be it you step into from the intro screen into your house with mom or dad, leaving to go to Prof. (insert name here) or a slight edit. Either choice, each on has it's own supporters.

Preference among the members of this forum changes frequently, some times, people love the innovation, but then others, people like the generic story, with a few twists in plot and name swaps, but also new maps, scripts that make a mod a mod.

So, is it that people like the story set up by nintendo, that people have grown to know thorughout the oldies days (this is the time to **** your head and look up in remeberance), or the way people use the engine to create something original?

Just to say, I thought of this as I was looking through several new hacks in the progressing hack, seeing that most of the new "popular" mods have generally the same storyline, while a lot (but not all) of the mods from the last generation had innovation
Old November 4th, 2009 (06:11 AM).
Hacking is all that matters...

Nature: Hasty
I prefer the imagintion of many of these hack authors that create whole new complete regions and plotlines. while premakes and remakes may be fun at times, they lack the imagination of something new.

Wanna play my hack? Check it out here!

My sig was "too big brah", so I shortened it.
Old November 5th, 2009 (02:19 PM).

While I prefer the innovative storyline, I can’t say that a generic storyline would be a turn-off. After all, the generic storyline is the reason why many of us began, and continue, to play the official games.

But either way, if the hack itself is of good quality and the storyline is well executed, it wouldn’t matter whether it’s innovative or generic, the hack will attract people regardless.
Old November 5th, 2009 (04:02 PM).
Sea of Dreams - Redux
Silver Tier

This could definitely go two ways in my opinion...

Although I love innovation it is always fun to play the classic storyline throughout a new region. If you can successfully do that I am always a happy camper :3. Another thing about the classic storyline is that love/hate relationship with a rival. While you really like them at some moments they can totally ruin something for you within a few seconds of their arrivals. Also gyms! Who doesn't like whipping out a can of whoop ass on those nosy gym leaders who think they are all that, I am sure I am not the only one.

On the other side the normal may get boring for some of your out there. If that is the case many of hacks now a days do have an innovative storyline. As well as a hybrid of the both (my hack kinda sorta just a bit is like this). If this is pulled of correctly then that is definitely the ultimate hack due to its innovation in the field of plot and its simplicity in the field of gameplay which equals a nice time for the casual gamer. As long it is an aesthetically pleasing game...

My 2 cents

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old November 6th, 2009 (03:07 PM).
The Wild Eagle

Nature: Serious
Hi,

I like the original story set by nintendo guys, especially for Crystal and Emerald.

but I do like new innovations, especially the professionally edited hacks. Shiny Gold is the best example for me for good hacks.

on the other hand, my own idea of a hack, is to use the emerald game and put all 493 pokemons in it, although I have made it for 386 pokemons already, with new starters.

the best story for me till now is for Crystal, I'm eager to try Heart gold\ Soul silver coz they are remakes of my best game, but till now I couldn't play them, didn't find a good working rom , as all the things I downloaded goes black after Oak's opening speech.

Anyway, innovations are acceptable, but only the good ones

thanks for the good topic

Best Wishes

Dragonite
Espeon
Infernape
Charizard
Latias
Leafeon

Old November 6th, 2009 (04:56 PM).
More cowbell~
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
I like any as long as it appeals to me and the actualy hack is good quality and ejoyable to play, like Liquid Ocean or Genesis.
Old November 9th, 2009 (07:33 AM).
え?

I think originality fits in better in a hack. Although I also like innovation, some people's innovation lack everything that fits in an original storyline like the ones created by Nintendo.
Even I can't innovate as much as our Nintendo storyliners do. So I guess I like playing the original games more than hacks XD. But some hacks are very innovative and have originality at the same time.
So I can't decide actually....

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)