The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Jude Mathis
[ counting stars ]
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
o__o Whoah.. awesome idea, I have to say. xD

This hack seems like it will be a lot of work, considering how much needs to be changed, so good luck with it all. Hope you can pull most of it off, and don't decide to give in.

I love the idea behind this, and somehow.. even though it hardly sounds like any Pokemon game at all, that's what makes it so interesting to me. (and I imagine that's why it's interesting to others, as well xD) So.. wow. Just wow. I hope this goes smoothly, because I'm very curious as to what this will be like by the time any of the beta's release.

& That water is so murky looking.. lovin' the dark look. (b ' ')b
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Break. View Post
o__o Whoah.. awesome idea, I have to say. xD

This hack seems like it will be a lot of work, considering how much needs to be changed, so good luck with it all. Hope you can pull most of it off, and don't decide to give in.

I love the idea behind this, and somehow.. even though it hardly sounds like any Pokemon game at all, that's what makes it so interesting to me. (and I imagine that's why it's interesting to others, as well xD) So.. wow. Just wow. I hope this goes smoothly, because I'm very curious as to what this will be like by the time any of the beta's release.

& That water is so murky looking.. lovin' the dark look. (b ' ')b
It actually doesn't seem like tons of work to me. Slightly edited tileset, a few new sprites, some maps, and then a lot of scripting. There are no major new features to implement, just a lot of basic stuff. XD

Thanks for the comments, everyone~
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
jasonresno
...is your catalyst.

Nature: Quiet
Anything with zombies and Pokemon is an instant win. I love the idea of a dark and mature Pokemon world. Count me hooked. Subscribed.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Zeta Patchouli
The Unconscious Wanderer
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This hack looks awesome! I'm definitely going to be watching this. I like the concept of this new world, as it's quite far from the norm. It's interesting to see a pokemon hack, that looks almost nothing like a pokemon game.
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:36 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

The premise of this game is very... unique, at least in terms of a Pokemon game. I am very intrigued by this.
Old November 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hacker42r/sT

Nature: Relaxed
wow, im very impressed by this.

i cant wait for some screenshots. and more info

and i like the little teasers your giving, great way to keep people hooked!
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Blaziquaza

Nature: Jolly
Man.this is definately a chamge in hacks.Can't wait to play a Beta.

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:48 PM
изм
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to изм Send a message via Yahoo to изм Send a message via Skype™ to изм
The plot looks like a sci-fi genre thingie, woot! but anyway i'm impressed with the intro, plus the quote is nice too, i'm waiting for the screenshots.

Old November 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
Oh my, definitely an impressive start Gary. It is definitely a unique story for Pokémon fangames, and I wish you the best of luck in making it happen.

What are you going to do about music though? You can't just play the Lavender Town theme throughout the entire game, lol. It'd be a good idea to have some personal music composed and inserted. The affect on the atmosphere of the game would be incredible.

So you want to make Poke Balls rare huh? I've been wondering about that, but also how to still ensure playability. I mean, you want players to be able to capture Pokemon, but it'd be difficult to do if they run out of balls (lol) before they succeed. I don't know about you, since you want to make it really challenging, but increasing the catch-rate might work. Or maybe I'm overestimating the difficulty of catching Pokemon, haha.
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:38 AM
minchan
Mudkip Worshipper

Send a message via AIM to minchan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to minchan Send a message via Skype™ to minchan
This is so amazing. The storyline really caught me right away. It's just stunning. I really love the darkness of the whole plot. I can't wait for screenshots and releases!

Keep up the awesome work.
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Ancient J W
Beginning Trainer

Wow. Blew me away, talk about your gripping storyline! Saying that you have alot to live up to with an introduction like that, it looks like it was written by a professional. You'd make a great author or movie script writer!

Click my Pokemon PLEASE!
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonresno View Post
Anything with zombies and Pokemon is an instant win. I love the idea of a dark and mature Pokemon world. Count me hooked. Subscribed.
Well, most of the original 'zombies' from after it happened are long gone. Though most people wouldn't consider those to be traditional zombies. More like... empty shells, trying to find something to fill the void.

And while there will be things that are similar to what most people would consider 'zombies', the "dead walking the earth" thing isn't talking about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Dimentio View Post
This hack looks awesome! I'm definitely going to be watching this. I like the concept of this new world, as it's quite far from the norm. It's interesting to see a pokemon hack, that looks almost nothing like a pokemon game.
Thanks. :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane Forest Elf. View Post
The premise of this game is very... unique, at least in terms of a Pokemon game. I am very intrigued by this.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker42r/sT View Post
wow, im very impressed by this.

i cant wait for some screenshots. and more info

and i like the little teasers your giving, great way to keep people hooked!
That's what I was going for. I want people to keep coming back for more, and leave a sense of mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaziquazaLv.Z View Post
Man.this is definately a chamge in hacks.Can't wait to play a Beta.
Thanks. It might be a little while until a beta is available, but I should at least have some screenshots or a video or something before too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by τ●ҭ٥мϑƿ™ View Post
The plot looks like a sci-fi genre thingie, woot! but anyway i'm impressed with the intro, plus the quote is nice too, i'm waiting for the screenshots.
I'll hopefully have screenshots by this weekend. Need a few tileset modifications/additions before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amachi View Post
Oh my, definitely an impressive start Gary. It is definitely a unique story for Pokémon fangames, and I wish you the best of luck in making it happen.

What are you going to do about music though? You can't just play the Lavender Town theme throughout the entire game, lol. It'd be a good idea to have some personal music composed and inserted. The affect on the atmosphere of the game would be incredible.

So you want to make Poke Balls rare huh? I've been wondering about that, but also how to still ensure playability. I mean, you want players to be able to capture Pokemon, but it'd be difficult to do if they run out of balls (lol) before they succeed. I don't know about you, since you want to make it really challenging, but increasing the catch-rate might work. Or maybe I'm overestimating the difficulty of catching Pokemon, haha.
I've thought about the music and already have some that I'm planning on inserting, but I'm going to do the scripting and stuff before that. Music isn't exactly a priority at the moment. The regular music will definitely not be present in the final version.

About the Pokeballs... that's a somewhat major part of the plot. I don't want to give too much away, but pokeballs had gotten quite a bit more powerful in the years before it happened. You won't have any trouble capturing any pokemon. Getting an empty pokeball will be the hard part: empties are forbidden in many places. If you try to enter a certain place with one, you could be thrown out or attacked. They'e quite popular among thieves as well, and it's not uncommon for someone to sell their soul for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchan View Post
This is so amazing. The storyline really caught me right away. It's just stunning. I really love the darkness of the whole plot. I can't wait for screenshots and releases!

Keep up the awesome work.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient J W View Post
Wow. Blew me away, talk about your gripping storyline! Saying that you have alot to live up to with an introduction like that, it looks like it was written by a professional. You'd make a great author or movie script writer!
Thanks. I hope this hack meets people's expectations.

Anyway, here's a little background on this:

I'm not a huge fan of the "Evil Team Whatever, 8 New Gym leaders, New Region" thing, so I thought I'd try to do something unique, yet familiar. I got the idea from a sprite comic I am/was working on. This is directly related and in the same universe, so I'll link to it in the first post if I ever get around to posting the thread for it.

Hm.. I kinda want to give another little teaser, since I feel like I haven't shown anything in a while... I'll put something up tonight. :3
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
hashtag
king cook

Looking sexy, you sexy fairy. Need any help, or teaching im me.
The path of the righteous man is beset of all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil me. Blessed is he who, in the name of the charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
Akeraz
Winning is Magic

Sounds like a rather unique idea..
I haven't seen anything quite like this in a while.

I'll keep my eye on this, methinks.

"It's like I'm watching you fly through a window"
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy

Well, tiny update because I haven't inserted the tiles yet:
Here are some pokemon you will see in the game.

Note: 4th Generation Sprites only examples, actual sprites may vary.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
minchan
Mudkip Worshipper

Send a message via AIM to minchan Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to minchan Send a message via Skype™ to minchan
So Growlithe and Vulpix are gonna be second-stage Pokemon? That's so cool!

I find it really cool that the starters (or at least the Totodile line) will also be getting additional evolutions.

Keep up the good work, and keep your ideas coming!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Darn you shouldn't use that effect. I'd like to see sprites!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Gary, the Magic Fairy

k, I'm going to be going camping wiht my friends, so I won't be able to do much on here until Sunday. I'll really try to rush and get a screenshot out then, though.

Oh, and since I haven't gotten around to adding in the first post:

Thanks for the awesome tiles, Rabbit.

I'm sure you'll all love them.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
PUT UP MY TILES, YO.

Hm, I'm having trouble imagining evolutions for Arcanine, Ninetails, Machamp, and the rest. I hope it's not going to be like Digimon, where uber-evolutions start turning humanoid and sprouting wings. xD "Go, UltimateNinetailsmon!"

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minchan View Post
So Growlithe and Vulpix are gonna be second-stage Pokemon? That's so cool!

I find it really cool that the starters (or at least the Totodile line) will also be getting additional evolutions.

Keep up the good work, and keep your ideas coming!
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on whether you like them), not all starters will be in the final version. In fact, I'm only certain of two at the moment: Bulbasaur and Totodile. I'm debating a couple of others, but it's not looking promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Turquoise View Post
Darn you shouldn't use that effect. :( I'd like to see sprites!
I would, but they do not exist at the moment... actually, no, I still probably wouldn't. It adds to the mystery. Just use your imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
PUT UP MY TILES, YO. ^_^

Hm, I'm having trouble imagining evolutions for Arcanine, Ninetails, Machamp, and the rest. I hope it's not going to be like Digimon, where uber-evolutions start turning humanoid and sprouting wings. xD "Go, UltimateNinetailsmon!"
Uh... no, of course not... :x XD

There will be a few that are humanoid or sprout wings, but I assure you, it's not random. XD
Spoiler:
For example, Togepi's will be at least somewhat humanoid, and Arcanine's will probably sprout wings, but I didn't just do it because I couldn't think of anything else, like some of those strange Digimon ones. Arcanine's is based on it's pokedex entry.[jq]A Pokémon that has long been admired for its beauty. It runs agilely as if on wings.[/jq]And then Togepi's will be slightly angelic, for reasons that should be obvious. Ampharos will be less humanoid than it already is, and Machamp will become a bit more monster-like.

Um.. I can't insert them all today, unfortunately. You're more than welcome to post them here and show people if you'd like, but I didn't think it would be right of me to give out your tiles like that. XD

And since I didn't keep my promise, I'll give you a few little features and hints at other things I'm working on:

- There will be 185 catchable Pokemon. That's including evolutions. So you've seen 6 evolutionary families, plus the starters: 45/185.
- So what am I going to do with the other 201 pokemon slots? Well, it's not just the Pokemon you're fighting off in this game. You also have to fight off the "others". It's a collective term used to describe the non-human or pokemon creatures. I know, it sounds a bit cliché, but when the world is ending, you don't have a lot of time to think up clever nicknames or explain in much detail. It's simple enough so that if you say it, people know what you're talking about.
- But that's not going to be using up more than 150. What else? Well, the people of Nowhere are... interesting. They have plenty of stories to tell, whether it be history, fantasy, or just the ramblings of a lunatic. Sometimes it's all three. The last slots will be illustrations, like in a storybook.

- Enemies will be divided into 3 classes: Physical, Special, and Evasive.
[jq]Physical enemies will attack you head on, and resist physical moves well. You can usually defeat these by using moves that attack from a distance, or attacking quickly, as they are often quite slow.
Special enemies are a bit tougher. They attack from a distance, and are a bit faster at making contact with you than Physicals. Your best chance is to hit as hard as you can. They can't take nearly as many hits as a Physical.
Evasive enemies are tricksters. They're fast and slippery. They run around in circles, throw dirt in your eyes, hide in smoke, or anything they can think of to get the upper hand. If you hit them hard and fast, you might get lucky, but don't count on it. You may want to try some of their own tricks against them.

Then there are a few that don't fall into any of these. Pray you don't run into them very often.

Remember, trust no one. Just because someone isn't your enemy doesn't make them a friend.[/jq]
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
Aww. Fine, I'll wait until you post a screenshot of the first town.

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
558122_DG
Learning how to make mistakes

hmmmm, i like the evolutions idea,but i was gonna add that to my hack :<
well i guess it's supreme. I'm gonna keep an eye out for your hack, have fun

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Harris59
Spriter

:O I WANNA PLAY IT NOW!!!! Lol, sound so cool, btw i can do mapping and spriting if u need help, but thats all xD
Spoiler:

As a Proffesional Spriter

Hacks i used to work for:
Spoiler:
Still Working for People
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

I can just imagine the smexiness in which Rabbit whipped you up! I cannot wait to see them.

Also I would like to ask if you will be replacing some pokemon with the new evo's etc. Or you will be adding new spots?

Best of luck

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Teh Panda~ View Post
I can just imagine the smexiness in which Rabbit whipped you up! I cannot wait to see them.

Also I would like to ask if you will be replacing some pokemon with the new evo's etc. Or you will be adding new spots?

Best of luck
As I said, there will be 185 catchable pokemon. I explained what I was going to do with the rest in the last post I made :3
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links