The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Arcis
Pokémon Breeder

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
I like to consider myself a budding Pokemon Breeder, and would like to write a story involving one. That's got me thinking a lot about the mechanics of writing it, though. Any advice?
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Redstar
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Redstar Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Redstar
Look up animal husbandry online, take a look around and see if any aspects interest you. Then take that information and try to reconcile it with the games' canon interpretation of breeding. That's really the best route, unless you want to go with the "A stork did it" theory.

(Feel free to leave me a private or visitor message with any comments, questions, or advice related to my work)

(Image courtesy of Broadway)

Old November 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Arcis
Pokémon Breeder

Thanks for the reply, Redstar! I've since been reading up on breeding and animal husbandry, and a thought's occured to me... there's a lot of deaths, babies born dead, animals put down... it made me wonder, should that always be involved? Is it a writer's choice? Something to save for Darkfics?

I appreciate continued help on the topic. :D
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcis View Post
Thanks for the reply, Redstar! I've since been reading up on breeding and animal husbandry, and a thought's occured to me... there's a lot of deaths, babies born dead, animals put down... it made me wonder, should that always be involved? Is it a writer's choice? Something to save for Darkfics?

I appreciate continued help on the topic. :D
There's this great series of books about a veterinarian, and I can't remember the name of the series itself, but two of the books are called "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and "All Things Wise and Wonderful." They deal with pretty much everything you could encounter as a vet, from performing checkups to delivering babies to euthanasia. A pokéverse story written like that could be very interesting: I recommend you check them out.

Old November 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
There's this great series of books about a veterinarian, and I can't remember the name of the series itself, but two of the books are called "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and "All Things Wise and Wonderful." They deal with pretty much everything you could encounter as a vet, from performing checkups to delivering babies to euthanasia. A pokéverse story written like that could be very interesting: I recommend you check them out.
James Herriot.

He wrote a lot of books on his experiences as a veterinary surgeon, which were used to create a television series.

Good books to read, and to see how life is like for a person in that career.

We have to Mega-move it!
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Arcis
Pokémon Breeder

Good idea! I read his books years ago and found them facinating.... heh, back to the library for me!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here