The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Old November 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Ageless Irony
MANIC SPAMMER

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to Ageless Irony Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ageless Irony

Advertise here
So, two of my characters are both named Amber, right? Right.
So I differentiate them as
Blonde Amber
And Brunette Amber

So I'm wondering if when I'm using them in like, speaker tags and when people refer to them as such, should I write it as

"Brunette Amber"
or
"brunette Amber"

I was thinking I should capitalize both seeing as it's a proper noun being as it's a person, but I'm not sure lol.

I've never been so conflicted lol.
Hallllp

Starting today...I'm alone...
Ageless Irony

{ credit }
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Sgt Shock
Goldsmith

Nature: Calm
I think a better way to differentiate the two Ambers is for one to have a nickname. It will lose the confusion factor. Like the blond would could be called Ambie while the other is called Amber. The whole hair color fiasco could still confuse the reader even after the hair color.

But if you still want to use the idea of the difference in hair color--lowercase is what I would suggest. It is still a common noun.

Hope this helps. :D Good luck.

"To me, jumping out into the rainy sky on a mad night is nothing more than a bit of fun to go with a drink." -Kinzo

Last edited by Sgt Shock; November 21st, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Yes, I agree with Shock. Give one of the Ambers a different name, like Ammy or Amber X. (X being the initial of her last name) or something. You don't see teachers in real life who refer to the three Adams in their class as Brawny Adam, Smart Adam, and Long-haired Adam, do you?

Although, I have to wonder why you named two charries Amber in the first place...
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Rabbit
where is my mind?

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Rabbit Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rabbit
We had two Annas in my school and they quickly became known as AK and AM (their initials). Maybe using their last names that way would work?

dreaming again
of a train track ending at the edge of the sea
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
I'm going to have to go with everyone else here. Give them different names, or at least different nicknames to use. However if the two characters being called character is an important part of your story or you'd just prefer not to change it and want to distinguish them by their hair colour, I'd capitalise both the hair colour and the name (ie. Blonde Amber, not blonde Amber).
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Vigilante
Ringleader of Hell

Nature: Naive
Well, I know a few tylers, and we just call by his last name. Try doing that, or intitals or something. But if you are doing blond/brunette amber for a reason, I'd capitalize it. the blond and brunette and like the word aunt if you use it like that; it is their title. You would need to capitalize it.

ex:
Aunt Sherry
"Aunt" is the title.
Blond Amber.
"Blond" is the title.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here