The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 21st, 2011 (06:35 PM). Edited February 21st, 2011 by Zorua.
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Twilight Sky/Angelica's Gallery

Hi Guys~! Derk here. A lot of you guys probably didn't know I made graphics, nor didn't know I ever posted or anything in G&P(and truthfully, I don't), but some of my friends wanted me to post a lot of my icons and show them off in a gallery. In fact, I've gotten so much praise for my icons(I really don't think they're that good, but whatever), that I might as well just make people happy and make a gallery of my own, y'know?

Because I'm not really perfected in my icon-making skills yet, I request that no one uses these icons, please. ^^; I like to practice more and whatnot before actually opening up a shop where people could request icons of their own, perhaps. Anyways, enough of my rambling. On to the actual, real stuff.

I have 100 icons to display, but I'm only showing 20 in this first post. I'll post more as "updates" as time comes and whatnot. Enjoy guys(hopefully I'm not terrible at this xD)~!

Black Rock Shooter, anyone?

Spoiler:

---

After I get some feedback on these, I'll see if I can upload more.

By the way, this is a GALLERY, not a SHOP, so no you cannot use my icons because I feel I still have room to improve before I can actually move into that sort of area(making icons for people and such). Plus, I'm super picky, so yeah. :D; -shot-

There may be some exceptions, though...depends.
Old February 21st, 2011 (06:39 PM).
Anastasia.R
Time Gear Thief

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Anastasia.R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia.R
FINALLY! *first post*

Quote:
Those are my favorites from the 20. I love the warm orange/red shades with the purple colors! ='DD This could actually make a great icon set, imo.

I WANNA SEE MORE, BECAUSE YOU MAKE SOME GREAT ICONS. =D
Old February 21st, 2011 (06:39 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
OMG DERK. I'm so happy you posted these. They all look amazing. ;-; Curse you for not letting me add them to my icon collection...yet. >:O

But really, they're great<3 Much better than mine, you obviously put work into them. Well done.
Old February 21st, 2011 (06:46 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Thanks guys. ♥ And just so people wouldn't get bored of the BRS stuff, lets get down to the REAL awesome stuff(not saying BRS isnt, but my favorite part anyway). My other, miscellaneous, unrelated icons. :D;

The next 20:

Take a look, will ya? I'm waiting...

Spoiler:
Old February 21st, 2011 (06:49 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Quote:
This is my favorite omg idk why. It just promotes innocence and world peace etc. I love the Seed Mommies too. :)
Old February 21st, 2011 (07:37 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Thanks ♥ As I said, I posted those icons because I don't think I did very well on the BRS ones, and so I wanted to keep people's interests by supplying a wide variety of icons and whatnot. I shall do another update a couple days from now or so, depending on how much work I get. x_x; I generally tend to not have any faith in my work, and I'm not really happy with anything that I really make, though I decided to make this anyway since it would disappoint people if I wouldn't. xD;

So you can all look forward to an update....Thursday or Friday? I want to give others time to look at these icons and comment on them and stuff.
Old February 22nd, 2011 (04:37 AM).
stranger

Sharpening needed for the focal, also pinks (reds/magentas in selective color) are a little heavy but this is one of your better icons. But watch out for colours, they're just a little too much in some places such as the lighting and the pink I mentioned. And the focal just needs to look higher quality, never forget to prep your stock.

I like this also. It reminds me of something I would make. Though I think what you could have done was make the guitar stand our a little more. Don't be afraid to use your dodge and burn for brightening and darkening areas, as well as sharpening things again. Sharpen icons manually, so don't go filter>sharpen>sharpen as you won't get the results you should desire. But the colours are nice and soft here.

I'm not a big fan of your anime icons (or anime icons in general as they're usually done wrongly). But this one is decent. But overall, you need to take a completely different approach towards anime/cartoon icons as they have so few colours, so just work in selective colour a lot and just make the most primary colours in the image stand out the most. Nothing fancy, but make sure they're high quality, easy on the eye and that you're not going over board on effects.

I just want to talk about stock positioning, personally I'm not a fan of the art and I think that the colours you used here were too heavy and saturated. See the way there's a bit of another part of the image coming in in the bottom corners? Just colour over it with the background colour so you can't see it. And I would move the focal a little to the right rather than have it on the left.

However, you're doing good, just keep practicing and try looking at other artist's styles and that will help you aim for something maybe in a better style or something with better technique. Keep it up Derky.

surrounded by sweet easing pressure
no room for thoughts, but time for adventure
Old February 22nd, 2011 (05:02 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Thanks for the criticism, Gav~! Anime icons are sorta really hard to make, so I did really try hard when it came to the BRS ones, however I felt they didn't impress much. xD, But anyway, lets move on to the next 20, shall we~?

I miss the days when I could get away with everything...

Spoiler:
Old February 22nd, 2011 (05:06 PM).
moments.
{quixotic}
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm

This one I really like, the colours and contrast and sharpness are all great! I think maybe a little bit of burning around the bottom corners could look good...

This one is close to being really really good! I think the grass / girl are too saturated and like contrasted, and the guitar not enough so. I think if you bring out the guitar more, while reducing the blacks / less contrast on the rest of the icon, it could be excellent!

Anyways, keep it up! You are off to a wonderful start, and I can see you making some seriously good icons in the not so distant future. :D

Old February 22nd, 2011 (05:13 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

So what you're saying is that I'm usually have issues in the satuation areas? I can totally see that being the case. xD I like to abuse saturation sometimes(though not to a HUGE extent. I only use between +3 and +15-16 or so, depending on how "dull-looking" the icon is initially) to increase the depth and the initial "color" of the icons so it wouldn't be "dull-looking" or anything like that. I then fix whatever saturation did wrong with selective color and set my levels and stuff from there(if the icon is too dark or anything).

Saturation is something I like to use when I'm in a bind and when I know that selective color alone won't do the job of making the icon have more vibrance. I have been cutting the use of it recently though.
Old February 22nd, 2011 (06:00 PM).
Nameless.

It's great to see you've got your hard-worked icons up! Here's just a bit of critique from my own experience. :3

To start off critique, I love this icon, but I do have a couple comments. It appears that the butterfly is the focal point, so I'll go off of that. The butterfly is blending just a bit too much into the rest of the icon. Try to grab a focal point from your more "focused" icons and make it stand out from the rest of it. I think what might have picked this one up a bit is if you had used selective coloring on the magenta section. It would help to bring out that brilliant pink, and draw attention to the butterfly. <3

This one is really nice, I love the colors and how it stands out. But, there is a bit of a problem. It's nice and all but it's a little bit too crowded to make a great icon to me. It's really hard to find any specific thing to look at because the picture itself is so busy. ;;

I think the brightness on this icon is just a tad too much, as it's kinda hard to look at ; especially around her face. Try to be a little careful with how you set the brightness on certain icons, as it can cause a blare and make your viewers squint. This is especially frequent in icons with a lot of white, or vibrant colors.

This is really all I see. You've done really good on all your icons!
As Gav said though [with a twist] don't be afraid to experiment. Selective color -- when it's done right -- will really create an eye-popping effect in your icons.
It helps to draw attention to them, and it becomes pleasing to the eye. Find your median when messing with those to avoid the blare effect.

Dodge and burn will help to fade out and fade in shades and lighting. Mess around with those to get a great result on your focal point. Contrast and saturation can be fun to use, but it's usually for the more experienced artist as it can make or break an icon easily. Selective color is a more safe approach if you feel that neither of those are working out beautifully on your icon.

These are all my own experience, but I hope you go crazy during practice so you can find the tools that are good to use at the appropriate moments. :3
Old February 22nd, 2011 (06:09 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Thanks for the crit, Katie~ <3 Yeah, the second and third icons Im definitely not huge fans of, because....I admit myself that they were done sorta poorly. xDD;

I can't believe I did 60 icons already! Oh wait, now it's 80....almost done already?

Spoiler:

Just wanted to add that I believe this is like, my worst set. xDD; idk.
Old February 22nd, 2011 (08:10 PM).
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Your graphics are alright. I think your real life icons turn out better than your anime icons though. Like Gav said, I don't really fancy the fan art you've taken to make icons out of.

An example of what I'm talking about would be:

This for instance. The art is just not...iconic.
I would say practice more on your anime icons, but also improve on your human icons as well. :) On some of them, the colorization really brings out the best in your work.

Especially in this one. Not only have you done well on the coloring, but you have brought out the reach of this icon. Blurring helps as well as smart sharpening, and this icon brings this out well.

Keep practicing, I know you'll get better. :]

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old February 22nd, 2011 (08:14 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaori View Post
Your graphics are alright. I think your real life icons turn out better than your anime icons though. Like Gav said, I don't really fancy the fan art you've taken to make icons out of.

An example of what I'm talking about would be:

This for instance. The art is just not...iconic.
I would say practice more on your anime icons, but also improve on your human icons as well. :) On some of them, the colorization really brings out the best in your work.

That was taken from a .gif. It was intentionally made so it wouldn't come out to be ~amazing~ or otherwise, but I tried. .__.;

Quote:
Quote:

Especially in this one. Not only have you done well on the coloring, but you have brought out the reach of this icon. Blurring helps as well as smart sharpening, and this icon brings this out well.

Keep practicing, I know you'll get better. :]
..Is it funny that I really did not like this icon? :(
Old February 23rd, 2011 (12:04 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Derk, I love all the puppy icons. :) Especially the golden retriever, omg. Just too cute for words. Um, sorry I'm not much help on technical stuff. XD; But I just wanted to tell you that the puppies are some of my favorites. Also love the Skymin/Shaymin icon. Very cute. :) /lol not helping much
Old February 25th, 2011 (09:44 PM).
Soari

You finally opened a thread. :D

Well, I adore your IRL icons. <3333 You need to work more on Anime icons, though. Overall, I think you should work on colorization (gradient maps, or selective color & color balance layers.) some of the icons look pretty empty and they’re lacking few things, but you can always try putting more effects, textures on different blend modes etc to make them look more appealing and eye-popping and also, make sure to blur, sharpen your stocks/renders to add more depth. I’m sure you’ll become a pro at it in day’s time if you keep on experimenting and practicing.
Old February 26th, 2011 (12:40 AM).
derozio
April 2015 can't come soon enough
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely

Out of your latest icons, these are the two which I like. I don't really have too much knowledge as far as icons go though, I'll admit. Hence, I won't really be of much help. But yes, I can say that your icons are much better than what I usually come up with (garbage). Just wanted to let you know that I adore many of your icons. Glad to see you open a gallery, Derk. :D I wanna see some tags here. POST TAGS, YOU!

That doesn't look good to you? Aww, but I like it! ;;
Old February 26th, 2011 (03:44 AM).
~Ryukaa
//fennekin
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ryukaa Send a message via Skype™ to ~Ryukaa
Wow, Derk. xDD;;
These look really awesome.
I especially like your third batch. |D
I'm not really sure about what critisism to give. xDD;;
Looking forward to seeing more! :D
Old March 5th, 2011 (02:01 PM).
Anastasia.R
Time Gear Thief

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Anastasia.R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia.R
Closing the gallery, since the thread creator no longer wants to continue using this thread.

~LeafBlade Lock

Sponsored Links