The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Nicolas
O c t o j a R e j s t r o m

Nature: Naive
I would recommend using the HGSS sprites and tiles, but that makes the hack less original but more 3d like.

I really like the way this hack is presented which makes me want to say Kudos for this hack :D
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
I would recommend using the HGSS sprites and tiles, but that makes the hack less original but more 3d like.

I really like the way this hack is presented which makes me want to say Kudos for this hack :D
And what's so good about 3D?
A 3rd gen hack trying to look 4th gen entirely, doesn't work.
He's being original by not trying to put in 4th gen tiles/ 3D looking tiles.
If you wanted a 3D-esque hack, play a hack like Shiny Gold. Simple as!
I like the Tiles Makes the hack seem like an official game!

I have nothing against Shiny Gold I'm just saying, if all remakes were the same, would we even enjoy them as much as we do!

@Zodiac: -
Wow! Awesome, I thought you'd may consider porting the World Map from Fire Red. This is a pretty sweet remake, Everything looks very professional! As always, if you need help with graphics, just send a PM or something.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Nicolas
O c t o j a R e j s t r o m

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeikku™ View Post

I have nothing against Shiny Gold I'm just saying, if all remakes were the same, would we even enjoy them as much as we do!
As stated above... I said "but that makes the hack less original"
please read the whole post before you post any posts against what I'm trying to recommend.
and FYI, it's just a recommendation :\
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
0_0

OMG, this is my ideal hack except it's on Ruby >:O. Well, if it's Fire Red style I like it. :D

This is probably the second best G/S/C remake I've ever seen. :3 Don't kill me, I liek Shiny Gold (:

I have some advice for you. Firstly, I wouldn't recomment using those custom tiles from Zel, soley on the fact that they don't match the other tiles and don't lookk nice in those palettes.

Secondly, your mapping. Try and use the other variety of Fire Red grass a little more. :3

And thirdly, Please change some of the D/N palettes, since they look a little weird to me.

Apart from that, good luck my friend!
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM
00m22
Beginning Trainer

nice game looks awesome what prgram you use to make cover
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
ZodiacDaGreat
Working on a Mobile System

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeikku™'

@Zodiac: -
Wow! Awesome, I thought you'd may consider porting the World Map from Fire Red. This is a pretty sweet remake, Everything looks very professional! As always, if you need help with graphics, just send a PM or something.
Exactly Having 3D tiles on a game that's coded with 2D graphics will make it still 2D... No amount of tiles will change that, I think. I think having a Ruby game with all the Fire Red stuff is a challenge indeed.

Hey Zeikku, thanks for the offer. I'll send you PM's or messenger you later, there's this backsprite of yours that I'm gonna use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas
As stated above... I said "but that makes the hack less original"
please read the whole post before you post any posts against what I'm trying to recommend.
and FYI, it's just a recommendation
Yeah, I understand. Thanks for your comments anyway. But I just don't agree with having those tiles will make the game more 3D... Okay, well maybe on the surface but not when you walk around with the overworld. If you wanna know more of my opinions VM me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokepal17
0_0

OMG, this is my ideal hack except it's on Ruby >:O. Well, if it's Fire Red style I like it.

This is probably the second best G/S/C remake I've ever seen. :3 Don't kill me, I liek Shiny Gold (:

I have some advice for you. Firstly, I wouldn't recomment using those custom tiles from Zel, soley on the fact that they don't match the other tiles and don't lookk nice in those palettes.

Secondly, your mapping. Try and use the other variety of Fire Red grass a little more. :3

And thirdly, Please change some of the D/N palettes, since they look a little weird to me.

Apart from that, good luck my friend!
Thanks Pokepal17. Nah, it's okay, Shiny Gold's great.. I like it at first when Zel started off with Fire Red tiles but didn't after the change.
1) Couldn't agree more!
2) I'm disappointed with that too. Cause you know Ruby's major tileset isn't as large as Fire Red's and I've tried my best to fit in all the important tiles and couldn't get space for the grass. I've included them in Littleroot's tileset though - So some maps you'll find it and some you won't. I'll see what I can do about this in the future but if I can add more space for the tileset then everything will need to be remapped or something Oo
3) I think it's mostly the afternoon palette but yes I'll do something sooner or later.
Apart from that... Good day to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00m22
nice game looks awesome what prgram you use to make cover
What cover? I don't understand, could you be more specific?
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
This is rocking.
No really, I only like HGSS better because it's for DS... otherwise I'd buy this.
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hohoo
SOMG!1

Location: East from Sweden; west from Russia; south from Norway
Nature: Timid
This looks nice. However, I'd suggest using skinny trees instead of those GSC bushes.
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Magnius
Pokemon Music Hacking Guru

Need a remixer and music hacker? If so I can help.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacDaGreat View Post
Exactly Having 3D tiles on a game that's coded with 2D graphics will make it still 2D... No amount of tiles will change that, I think. I think having a Ruby game with all the Fire Red stuff is a challenge indeed.

Hey Zeikku, thanks for the offer. I'll send you PM's or messenger you later, there's this backsprite of yours that I'm gonna use
Well show me the backsprite first, it's likely HackMew's got rights to it, if he has I'll make you a custom backsprite anyways!

Old December 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeikku™
Well show me the backsprite first, it's likely HackMew's got rights to it, if he has I'll make you a custom backsprite anyways!
Its the one you posted in the Resources thread a long time ago. I sort of recolored it to fit some of the other sprites I planned to use. I'll give you the link in a VM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Saiba Aisu
Sophistiqué

Nature: Bold
Do you have any idea when a download for this cool-looking game will be released?

Discover the shocking circumstances that set the birth of the legendary crime syndicate into motion

Witness Team Rocket like never before.

Old December 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiba Aisu
Do you have any idea when a download for this cool-looking game will be released?
Couldn't be much longer... I'm already at Azalea... There's a few lackings though.
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Well, again good luck then. :3

About the tileset size, the size data could be copied out of Fire Red couldn't it for the primary tileset?

Oh and I would adivse you to make a worldmap from D/P worldmap tiles because they looks a lot more nice, imo (nut it's your choice, I'm just giving my opinion) :3

And finally even though you made a tool for this I hope the door animations don't give you problems. :3

Good luck, I'm rooting for you
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokepal17
Well, again good luck then. :3

About the tileset size, the size data could be copied out of Fire Red couldn't it for the primary tileset?

Oh and I would adivse you to make a worldmap from D/P worldmap tiles because they looks a lot more nice, imo (nut it's your choice, I'm just giving my opinion) :3

And finally even though you made a tool for this I hope the door animations don't give you problems. :3

Good luck, I'm rooting for you
No, you can't copy the size... I tried back when I first started hacking and although it seem to work my ROM crashed Nah, the world map will remain having 3rd generation tiles. About the door animations, I overcame them with my new tool Door Manager, now the doors work the way I want.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
But doesn't R/S/E have more tileset space?

According to AdvanceMap, R/S/E tilesets have space for 512 tiles, while FR/LG only has space for 384 tiles. How are you running out of tile space, if you're using FR/LG tiles, meaning you should have at least 100+ free tile space?
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryemo
This hack looks awesome, cant wait to try it, awesome fakemon
Fakemon? Look carefully, there's no single fakemon here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecFire
But doesn't R/S/E have more tileset space?

According to AdvanceMap, R/S/E tilesets have space for 512 tiles, while FR/LG only has space for 384 tiles. How are you running out of tile space, if you're using FR/LG tiles, meaning you should have at least 100+ free tile space?
Fire Red uses 640 and R/S/E 512 in the major tileset. The tileset it self is small, don't believe me? Checkout unLZ in 1640 for Ruby and 1990 for Fire Red. So, Fire Red has more and Ruby less.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Magnius
Pokemon Music Hacking Guru

lol then I assume the answer to my question was no.
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnius View Post
lol then I assume the answer to my question was no.
Naa mag, he probably did not see the question haha

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
ZodiacDaGreat

Yeah... I missed and overlooked the question XD Sorry.

Edit: A update screen.

Currently looks exactly like Emerald's The width of the box is exactly same as Fire Red's and Emerald's but only the text position is different. I'd like to thank interdpth for motivation and loads of tips. ---

Last edited by ZodiacDaGreat; December 5th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux
Community Supporter

Quote:

Currently looks exactly like Emerald's The width of the box is exactly same as Fire Red's and Emerald's but only the text position is different. I'd like to thank interdpth for motivation and loads of tips. ---
Owow, that is unbelievably awesome :D, I really like the attention to detail you have with these sort of things!

Good luck

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Nice update, now the text actually looks like Fire Red properly!
Now the thing I now hate, is your OW for the hero :3

Old December 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
.com

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .com
Quote:

Ooh. It's looking good.

You should change the text to say GEAR instead of NAV. Of course it still would be for the nav, but it would be a nice little cosmetic change imo. =X
I've done it before, it looks legit.

Also, tbh, the Emerald flowers don't look that great imo. Maybe it's just the old color that looks odd. idk.

...and change the wooden sign on that house to a mailbox.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Fire Red uses 640 and R/S/E 512 in the major tileset. The tileset it self is small, don't believe me? Checkout unLZ in 1640 for Ruby and 1990 for Fire Red. So, Fire Red has more and Ruby less.
I get it now. You see, I thought you were talking about the amount of tiles you can have in your tileset in AdvanceMap (the 16x16 tiles), I didn't know you meant the 8x8 tiles that make up the 16x16 tiles.

Quote:

If you're talking about the font then, most people don't notice this, but Emerald's font is slightly different than FireRed/LeafGreen's. The R/S font is huge, the FR/LG font is tiny, and the Emerald font is slightly bigger than FR/LG's.

Anyways, I have an idea: Why don't you use different trees for Johto, instead of the FR/LG trees? In G/S/C, Johto had "pointy" trees, while Kanto had round trees, so I think you should use the FR/LG trees for Kanto only, and use a different tree for Johto, to differentiate them a little more.
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nice, it's good to see Azalea town. I like the choice of tiles you used, it gives the town a nice villages like green atmosphere. :3 And I think you should change the Emerald flower palettes to a nice shade of pink of light blue. Also, it would look good if you used the FR flower for Kanto and the Emerald flower for Johto.

Good luck :3

Sponsored Links