The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™

Advertise here
It shouldn't sound off, chances are people are being picky. The music sounds great to me.

IMO the music isn't bad, it's in the correct key, only difference is that GBC used synth instruments, GBA uses up to 5 direct sound instruments and 3 synth. Key changes aren't bad, Nintendo changed keys for Heart Gold and Soul Silver completely. Because having 10+ instruments per song would obviously change the key...So people saying Nintendo never did that, are talking nonsense. Not to mention Heart Gold/ Soul Silver Music Sucks. I'm sure fellow remakers and the decent hackers will agree. The additional bits added to songs in HG/ SS and the bad instrument choice was a turn-off but the key was okay.

Make sure your instrument choice is decent and not like Heart Gold/ Soul Silvers.

Either way, I could Remix songs for you, Zodiac. You have my MSN anyways. I'll have proof of work. However, I'm so awesome that I'll doubt you'll need it.
~Zeikku

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeikku™ View Post
It shouldn't sound off, chances are people are being picky. The music sounds great to me.

IMO the music isn't bad, it's in the correct key, only difference is that GBC used synth instruments, GBA uses up to 5 direct sound instruments and 3 synth. Key changes aren't bad, Nintendo changed keys for Heart Gold and Soul Silver completely. Because having 10+ instruments per song would obviously change the key...So people saying Nintendo never did that, are talking nonsense. Not to mention Heart Gold/ Soul Silver Music Sucks. I'm sure fellow remakers and the decent hackers will agree. The additional bits added to songs in HG/ SS and the bad instrument choice was a turn-off but the key was okay.

Make sure your instrument choice is decent and not like Heart Gold/ Soul Silvers.

Either way, I could Remix songs for you, Zodiac. You have my MSN anyways. I'll have proof of work. However, I'm so awesome that I'll doubt you'll need it.
~Zeikku
You don't understand the concept of keys. HG/SS songs are in the same key as the original. The amount of instruments you have has absolutely nothing to do with what key a song is in.

Now really, I bet you can't even identify what key is what. The HG/SS songs are in the same key as G/S/C, and no amount of instruments can change that. And the music that clonex made is in a different key, his New Bark Town music is in Bb Major, while the G/S/C/HG/SS New Bark music is in D Major.

Quote:
Because having 10+ instruments per song would obviously change the key...
That is the dumbest statement I have ever heard.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
You don't understand the concept of keys. HG/SS songs are in the same key as the original. The amount of instruments you have has absolutely nothing to do with what key a song is in.

Now really, I bet you can't even identify what key is what. The HG/SS songs are in the same key as G/S/C, and no amount of instruments can change that. And the music that clonex made is in a different key, his New Bark Town music is in Bb Major, while the G/S/C/HG/SS New Bark music is in D Major.

That is the dumbest statement I have ever heard.
Considering I'm a musician. I'd watch it. One key doesn't make up a song, a song can start on one key and change, it's not consistent. Playing on one key, all the way through a song makes it predictable. Like your posts.

The songs in-game sound near enough the same. And who knows, maybe clone wanted to make it sound original. Do keys matter that much?! NO! They don't. Stop finding little pointless things that bug you personally, and making a big deal out of it.

Oh and Keep your panties on, when you're talking to me. Have some respect. Especially, when all I did was post my opinion.

I pointed out something simple and you flipped out and for that, you're probably the dumbest person I have heard.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
SonicBlazePlatinum
/)^3^(\
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
I'm with ChaosRush on this. I think Pokemon Heart Gold/ Soul Silver have AMAZING music and are on key. Pokemon Pure Gold will be played when I have the chance.
Pokemon WARPED: Fixed Beta 3, to be available when I ask permission from Magneto20 or the other guy to fix it. Farfetch'd! Septo Conquest Deluxe is on hold until WARPED is finished to be more awesoming.
Pokemon Light Platinum X will be coming soon after CycloneGU makes a fixed version of the current release.
Also coming soon is Pokemon Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring. Also to be known as the Pokemon Seasons, Pokemon Summer and Winter coming soon first!
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:17 PM
PkmnTrainerSilver
Beginning Trainer

Wow, this looks amazing! Are the screenshots deceiving me or does it really have night and day time sets? Because that is just amazing! I'll have to try it out. Thanks for posting this awesome looking hack!
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
dragonarche
Is back :D

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to dragonarche
Veey nice
G/S/C Were always my fave..

Experienced Vb.net and C# Dev
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Beam Me Up, Furry Bandit!
Naito Park

Nature: Quiet
Beautiful, absolutely marvellous...better than Heart Gold, but for some reason....I don't like the titlescreen
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Spoiler:
Quote:
Considering I'm a musician. I'd watch it.
You call yourself a musician, yet you actually think that the amount of instruments automatically changes the key of a song? O_o...

Now I respect people's opinions, but I don't respect the false facts you used to back up your opinion. By what you said, I'm assuming you think that you understand the concepts of music more than me, but seriously. You actually thought that the amount of instruments can change the key of a song despite the notes being the same.

Quote:
One key doesn't make up a song, a song can start on one key and change, it's not consistent.
The fact that a song can change key in the middle has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that clonex's music are off-key in comparison to the original. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that for some reason you thought the amount of instruments can change the key even though the dominant notes behind it are exactly the same.

(And the New Bark/Cianwood songs don't even change key, so you mentioning that is completely pointless)

Quote:
The songs in-game sound near enough the same. And who knows, maybe clone wanted to make it sound original. Do keys matter that much?! NO! They don't. Stop finding little pointless things that bug you personally, and
making a big deal out of it.

Oh and Keep your panties on, when you're talking to me. Have some respect. Especially, when all I did was post my opinion.
I apologize for sounding rude, and I should have respected your opinion more. But the facts you used to back up your opinion were incorrect. Really, saying that adding more instruments to a song will automatically change the key is ridiculous. D Major is D Major and no amount of instruments can change that. The only way to change that is if the notes that were being played aren't part of the D Major scale, which is not the case.

Like you said that it's your opinion, it is mine too. It's my opinion that I don't like the new keys that FR/LG used, and there's nothing you can do about that. IMO, the keys do matter, because changing a key is changing the entire feel of the song. Sometimes the feel might not be that different, and it may even sound better or worse, but since Zodiac said the "classic tunes from G/S/C are back", then changing the key of the songs isn't "classic".

Quote:
I pointed out something simple and you flipped out and for that, you're probably the dumbest person I have heard.
You didn't point out something simple. In fact, what you pointed out wasn't even correct.

Considering I'm a musician, and that can read standard musical notation, jazz musical notation, have perfect pitch, know how to play Guitar, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, and band-geek, can instantly identify what key a song is in, and when/if it changes, memorized all 12 major and minor scales. I'd watch it.

My opinion was, I think if Zodiac is going for a nostalgic feel, he shouldn't use clonex's music. Now this whole argument was pretty pointless, because it's just over a song, but my opinion is still the same.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; January 17th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
.com

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Spoiler:

You call yourself a musician, yet you actually think that the amount of instruments automatically changes the key of a song? O_o...

Now I respect people's opinions, but I don't respect the false facts you used to back up your opinion. By what you said, I'm assuming you think that you understand the concepts of music more than me, but seriously. You actually thought that the amount of instruments can change the key of a song despite the notes being the same.

The fact that a song can change key in the middle has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that clonex's music are off-key in comparison to the original. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that for some reason you thought the amount of instruments can change the key even though the dominant notes behind it are exactly the same.

(And the only song that changes key in all of the Pokemon games is the Jubilife City theme, which switches from D to G#)

I apologize for sounding rude, and I should have respected your opinion more. But the facts you used to back up your opinion were incorrect. Really, saying that adding more instruments to a song will automatically change the key is ridiculous. D Major is D Major and no amount of instruments can change that. The only way to change that is if the notes that were being played aren't part of the D Major scale, which is not the case.

Like you said that it's your opinion, it is mine too. It's my opinion that I don't like the new keys that FR/LG used, and there's nothing you can do about that. IMO, the keys do matter, because changing a key is changing the entire feel of the song. Sometimes the feel might not be that different, and it may even sound better or worse, but since Zodiac said the "classic tunes from G/S/C are back", then changing the key of the songs isn't "classic".

You didn't point out something simple. In fact, what you pointed out wasn't even correct.

Considering I'm a musician, and that can read standard musical notation, jazz musical notation, have perfect pitch, know how to play Guitar, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, and band-geek, can instantly identify what key a song is in, and when/if it changes, memorized all 12 major and minor scales. I'd watch it.

My opinion was, I think if Zodiac is going for a nostalgic feel, he shouldn't use clonex's music. Now this whole argument was pretty pointless, because it's just over a song, but my opinion is still the same.
HeartGold tiles on an RB remake aren't nostalgic, either, just for the record.
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:59 PM
MrAPT1
That one guy who does stuff

Geez, I had no idea that one little suggestion for music would cause everyone to go bonkers. O_o
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
sir.euge
Bunchies Back!

Send a message via Yahoo to sir.euge
The screenies look great. I'm having a problem though. Iv'e tried patching the ips over like 30 times and im still getting a white screen when i start the game. I need serios help on this one. I really love this game and hoping that someone in this community can help me out. Tnx
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hii
Beginning Trainer

The patch (.ips) doesn't work for me. But it looks AWESOME!

old name (iDOLHACKS)

I have a legit shiny Rayquaza.

My FC: 0044 4881 9653
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Fipo580
Beginning Trainer

looks great! please dont give up on this game!!!
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Magnius
Pokemon Music Hacking Guru

Quote:

~Zeikku
Pretty true. But just wanted to correct you and tell you that GBA actually has 4 synth instruments, synth 1, synth 2, the wav channel and the noise channel.

Also, watch what you guys call "remixes" around here. A remix is NOT the exact same song with changed instruments and an added drum beat. That's an arrangement. Now if you add instruments that weren't in the original and maybe change up the melody a bit, it can be considered a remix.

So if you take the exact same song and put it in GBA instruments, it is not a remix, it's an arrangement.

My opinion on key changes is, use or don't use them, it really doesn't matter. Both the official remakes of Red and Blue and the official remakes of Gold and Silver used them.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnius View Post
My opinion on key changes is, use or don't use them, it really doesn't matter. Both the official remakes of Red and Blue and the official remakes of Gold and Silver used them.
Actually, the only HG/SS songs that were in a different key than the original were the Cianwood, Ecruteak, and Team Rocket Encounter themes. However, FR/LG songs used key changes quite frequently.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM
sir.euge
Bunchies Back!

Yo zodiacthegreat, just asking, are you going to use any asm and if you are may you please show us some of the things you are doing with asm?
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...
Community Supporter Tier 4

Send a message via Skype™ to Omega Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir.euge View Post
Yo zodiacthegreat, just asking, are you going to use any asm and if you are may you please show us some of the things you are doing with asm?
-.- did you read the whole thread it said he was going to put in asm...
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM
sir.euge
Bunchies Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainui View Post
-.- did you read the whole thread it said he was going to put in asm...
Calm down, i was just trying to se if he was still working on this hack cuz there havent been alotof updates lately. And Zodiac, What kind of ASM are u using. Just asking
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Omega Zero
Is back...

i think it's the Arm7 Asm
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:11 AM
seankelly
Beginning Trainer

Maybe someone can help a noob here. How do I open an IPS file into my VBA or No$GBA? Sorry, maybe this isnt the best spot to ask this, but its so frustrating to see all these games and not being able to play them
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
ZodiacDaGreat
Working on a Mobile System

Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
A small update
This is regarding the titlescreen, I've uploaded the video which you can download and see below in the attachments. For people who're really generous can help me host this video on youtube but be sure to send me the link so I can post it on the first page

What's new?
Well, this time I've fixed the animations and added the moving clouds, and the cry just like in Fire Red.

Other Stuff
I've decided that beta 1 ends at Azalea, so for people who used cheatcodes to explore more then the Alpha - I'm sorry, no new stuff for you besides the changes in say Titlescreen and others but no maps beyond Azalea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir.euge
Calm down, i was just trying to se if he was still working on this hack cuz there havent been alotof updates lately. And Zodiac, What kind of ASM are u using. Just asking
Of course I'm working on it, I'll never quit until its done so please be patient and don't go spamming the thread with when's the update and all lol I have a life as well - school, socialising, and other projects that I work on. So, no offense of anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankelly
Maybe someone can help a noob here. How do I open an IPS file into my VBA or No$GBA? Sorry, maybe this isnt the best spot to ask this, but its so frustrating to see all these games and not being able to play them
New people please, if you're reading and haven't already understand the concepts of patching, ROM hacking etc please read all the stickied threads in the main ROM Hacking forum - it's stickied for a reason.

Last edited by ZodiacDaGreat; February 12th, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacDaGreat View Post
A small update
This is regarding the titlescreen, I've uploaded the video which you can download and see below in the attachments. For people who're really generous can help me host this video on youtube but be sure to send me the link so I can post it on the first page

What's new?
Well, this time I've fixed the animations and added the moving clouds, and the cry just like in Fire Red.

Other Stuff
I've decided that beta 1 ends at Azalea, so for people who used cheatcodes to explore more then the Alpha - I'm sorry, no new stuff for you besides the changes in say Titlescreen and others but no maps beyond Azalea.

Of course I'm working on it, I'll never quit until its done so please be patient and don't go spamming the thread with when's the update and all lol I have a life as well - school, socialising, and other projects that I work on. So, no offense of anything

New people please, if you're reading and haven't already understand the concepts of patching, ROM hacking etc please read all the stickied threads in the main ROM Hacking forum - it's stickied for a reason.
Cool i'm just uploading it it'll be like 7 minutes i'll Edit this with a link once it's finished it looks amazing Btw

EDIT: ok putting it up now :3

Last edited by Omega Zero; February 12th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
The new titlescreen looks nice but I think that the cloud movement could be a lot smoother. Why don't you only subtract 1 from BG3HOFS every frame or even every other frame? I think that would make it look a lot less choppy.

Brother of Vrai
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:39 PM
ZodiacDaGreat
Working on a Mobile System

Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles
The new titlescreen looks nice but I think that the cloud movement could be a lot smoother. Why don't you only subtract 1 from BG3HOFS every frame or even every other frame? I think that would make it look a lot less choppy.
It looks good like that, I love it that way. How do you even know I'm using BG3 for the clouds when I just posted the video lol.

Edit: I just fixed my titlescreen code to make the clouds scrolling smoother - it appears I placed my code in the wrong place.

@ cocolstyles - And no I didn't do a subtract 1 to fix it. It wasn't meant to be choppy lol
@ Others - Sorry, if you please re-upload the new one XD

Last edited by ZodiacDaGreat; May 3rd, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...

yay i hope i don't gots to upload another vid but i will if you need me

Sponsored Links

Advertise here