The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Of which feature would you like to see a short video?
A Storyline Event 44 39.64%
The Revamped Intro 18 16.22%
The Battle System 39 35.14%
Training 26 23.42%
The Laptop 21 18.92%
The Menu 13 11.71%
Pokemon World 39 35.14%
Move Selection 12 10.81%
Something Else (please state) 4 3.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Pokemon Asphar

Engine: RPG Maker 2003
Region: Custom region known as Asphar
Pokemon Included: Originally was only going to include Kanto, but am now also including Johto Pokemon too.

---------------
Introduction
---------------

Spoiler:

Hello, my name is 00vampire, but my friends usually just call me Rick - feel free to use either. I started my first Pokemon fangame project about 3 years ago (Pokemon Akenite), but gave up due to the difficulty of creating the systems in rm2k3. Then, about a year ago I decided to try again - this time with more ambition but also more knowledge and understanding. Pokemon Asphar was then born from my desire to create a Pokemon game which threw something new at the players. So many ideas came to my mind that I had to cut down the list - still almost ending up with a completely feature-driven game, and if it wasn't for my determination to produce just as much story, then that's exactly what it would be.

---------------
Storyline
---------------

Spoiler:

It all started on a stormy day six years ago...
Alex didn't like travelling. He hated travelling by boat even more. And he definately hated being away from his family. He missed his wife and ten-year-od son terribly, but was comforted by the promise of seeing them in just a few weeks time.
Unfortunately, Alex never arrived home that winter.

Present day...
It is the day our young hero turns 16. As he is now of age, he decides to leave home and travel the Asphar region with his Pokemon.
However, just before he leaves, our hero recieves a letter. A letter from his father, Alex.

Our hero's world is turned upside-down as he sets out to save his dad - but are the clues leading him towards his father's mysterious past, an evil organisation aiming to destroy the world... or something even more sinister?

---------------
Features
---------------

Spoiler:

[No Levels]
Pokemon have no visible Levels, they just get stronger.

[No visible Exp/Exp bars]
Because there's no levels, this negates the use of Exp.

[Moves get stronger]
Winning battles doesn't make your Pokemon stronger, but using your Pokemon's skills makes it better at performing them.

[Training]
There will be numerous different ways to make your Pokemon stronger, such as:
Training Houses... There's one in most towns. You can leave a Pokemon or two there to train and assign it tasks to raise different attributes. (Like daycare)
Enviromental Training... Example: "See that big-ass rock, Pikachu? I want you to tackle it until it breaks."

[Danger Bar]
Due to there being no levels (so you can't judge how strong an oppenent is) the Battle Screen provides a 'Danger Bar' which roughly tells you how strong your oppenent is compared to your active Pokemon.

[No HMs]
Yes, that's right, no stupid Cut or Strength or stupid stupid Flash. (See below in regards to Fly/Surf)

[Can Fly/Surf from start]
Well, as soon as you acquire a Pokemon that is able to do either (and big enough to carry you). Not counted as techniques either.

[Free Roaming]
Go to any town, in any order. Battle any Gym Leader, in any order. You can even fly to Towns/Cities you haven't yet visited. *Flying is not quite instantaneous though, and your Pokemon may need time to rest.

[Time Factor]
Because you can go anywhere at anytime, Trainers get progressively stronger over time, instead of over distance. Each trainer has his/her own 'Growth Rate'. Gym Leaders are included, but start off a lot stronger. (Make take quite a while in the game before you're ready to take on any Gyms).

[Rejected]
Trainer battles are optional!! You have the choice to tell those pesky Trainers to 'Get lost!'. Unless of course they aren't very nice and they just attack you anyway so you have to battle... um... most people are nice though lol

[Sophisticated Move Pool]
No more of those moves that you never ever use, and more cool ones.

[Injuries & Infections]
As well as Health depletion, Pokemon can also suffer from other things, such as a broken wing, a dislocated tail or a bad cold. These ailments could badly effect performance in battle or rule them out completely.

[Healing]
Healing your Pokemon at Pokecentres is no longer an instant thing. Depending on how much Health your Pokemon has left, or especially if it's carrying an injury, it may take some time for them to get better. Potions and the like can still be used to recover Health, but the Pokemon still won't feel much better and will be more prone to injury/infection.

[Item Rule]
Items are good-to-go in wild Pokemon battles, or unsanctioned attacks but aren't allowed in official Pokemon battles to keep things fair.

[Pokemon League]
There is no more Elite Four. The League is now a tournament, like the Anime. Also includes different elemental fields and such. (Like the Anime).

[Hometown]
You can choose where you would like to start the game from four possible choices, each involving their own beginning storyline.

[The Starters]
Each of the four possible hometowns are surrounded by different types of Pokemon. Depending on which town you choose, your starter Pokemon could be one of several.

[10 Gyms]
Still only need 8 badges, so it's your choice which Gyms to tackle. Or you could take on them all to earn popularity/reputation.

[Evolution]
Various ways to make your Pokemon evolve, but more challenging than just increasing it's stats.

[Attacks]
No moves learned by 'levelling up'. Various alternative ways to learn attacks.

[Pokemon Trade Market]
Bid and auction off Pokemon over the wireless PTM. Requires subscription fees.

[Money, money, money]
Do more with your money. Buy clothes, houses, furniture, games, Pokemon, etc.

[Pokemon World]
Pokemon live and breathe in this game. You could come across two Nidorans chasing each other around a tree, or see some Krabby blowing bubbles out to sea. They move, they travel, they live.

[Laptop]
In place of the Pokegear and the like. Allows you to:
Check on Pokemon left in Dojos/Pokecentres
Send/Recieve emails
Play music
Read the News/Latest gossip
Access the PTM
Change the desktop wallpaper

---------------
New Screenshots
---------------

Spoiler:

---------------
Old Screenshots
---------------

Spoiler:
The following are old and out-dated screenshots. I'm only including them to show progress.

---------------
Progress
---------------

Spoiler:
The most important part of this is coding the systems, and because of such, the visual progress is slow. Once all the systems are in place, then work on the rest can begin and will go much faster.

To break it down, here's a summary of where everything is at.

SYSTEM CODING: 55%
SYSTEM GRAPHICS: 85%
MAPPING: 3%
STORYLINE PLANNING: 100%
STORYLINE IMPLEMENTATION: 4%
OTHER EVENTS (SUCH AS NPC'S): 3%

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

Last edited by 00Vampire; April 13th, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Wow, it's great to see another unique and feature rich Rm2k3 fan game here.
Not using the starter kit I feel forces ya to come up with your own systems (since you are developing at your own limits) and I think you have a very interesting set of features there.
The art for the battle window needs to be improved. I'd like to see bigger icons (the bottom left icons) and better colors used for the window itself (and while I'm at it-better colors for the danger bar).
I do like the direction of the battle feature in general- and I'm assuming that this style is the main attraction to the game (going by the feature list), so good luck on pulling it off.
As a fellow Rm2k3 developer myself, I must state that if you ever need advice on how to code a feature, send me a PM.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

haha as soon as i saw rm2k/3 i knew neo would be attracted to it =)

Im not to sure about the battle scenes?
Is it suppose to be in a pokedex?

I like your ideas though. Like declining the trainer battles. FINALLY! =)

Last edited by Blazers; July 14th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Fraot
Researcher & Game Developer

Nature: Quiet
OMG!
I was thinking on making a game moreless like yours, but I didn't know where to start... but, good luck!! I'd like to help on your game but i'm busy with mine...

*cross fingers* I'll look forward for an update.

And also... a new Megaman X game is coming. Megaman X: Maverick Wars.
Old July 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
spritegage
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Careful
I love the new changes! Its what we (or I) have always wanted!
Old July 15th, 2009, 02:58 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Not using the starter kit I feel forces ya to come up with your own systems (since you are developing at your own limits)
I couldn't agree more

Quote:
The art for the battle window needs to be improved. I'd like to see bigger icons (the bottom left icons) and better colors used for the window itself (and while I'm at it-better colors for the danger bar).
Thanks for the constructive suggestions. Any sort of art is definately my weakest skill area, I'm more of a scripter/coder/writer kind of guy. Bigger icons I can do, but any ideas on what sorta colour pallette I should try? I'm not very good with colour and what goes well with what.

Quote:
Im not to sure about the battle scenes?
Is it suppose to be in a pokedex?
Yeah, it is sorta inside a pokedex. In this game, your pokedex will be used for a lot more than just reading data on pokemon, so I thought it would be 'neat' and 'different' to almost have it as the background.
Then again, my judgement on these sort of things isn't the best.

Quote:
Like declining the trainer battles. FINALLY! =)
Yay, I'm not the only one wanted the feature to decline them!

Thanks to everyone for your comments.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:37 AM
jrookie

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jrookie
wow...i like the concept...where to download?
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Do you have tree shadows?
If you do, use them.
That way it won't look like the player can walk between the trees.
Good luck!
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
00Vampire
Trainer

Just thought I'd add a few screenshots from the intro...

Before the opening credits...

Part of the opening sequence (better when moving)

Professor Acorn...

[See bottom of post*]

Yes Growlithe is one of the starters...

* In this game, the Professor doesn't give you your Pokemon. Instead, it is given to you as a birthday present from your father, just before he leaves. However, you have trouble controlling it, and that's where Professor Acorn comes in.

When Acorn asks you, you then choose which is your Pokemon from a list of 7.
  • Bulbasaur
  • Charmander
  • Squirtle
  • Pikachu
  • Psyduck
  • Growlithe
  • Exeggcute

Old July 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Neat stuff. It's always nice seeing a game developed without the Starter Kit, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
GymLeaderLance99
A Muffin Button

Send a message via AIM to GymLeaderLance99 Send a message via Yahoo to GymLeaderLance99
Like Neo said, it's nice to see another RM2K/3 game around here. I like the features you're planning to have in this, especially the battle-decline and the training idea. Makes it feel more anime-like, what with Ash/Satoshi having his Pokemon train using the nature around them most of the time and all. XD (Same goes for the Elite 4->Tournament decision, too.)

Well, I wish you the best of luck, dude. I'd try to help, but I'm busy with my own game, lol.

Old July 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
blueguy
No capitalization required. ;D

Nature: Quirky
I really like some of your ideas. The only part I'm not so sure about is not assigning Pokémon levels.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
jrookie

a few suggestion...
1] ATB-liked battle system in final fantasy 7, means all depend on speed of pokemon that it may atk enemy x2 even though enemy only atk once
2] Making evasion proportional "diifference in speed", like anime
3] pokemon may learn more than 4 move (like anime), personally suggest 6~10
4] learning of moves need certain condition, (like ur move level), when a water gun is used so often, pokemon learns hydro pump or something like takle leads to quick atk etc etc

oh yea, change starer psyduck to a pokemon that needs stone to evolve- suggest u the combination here

1) exeggcute + shellder + vulpix ( all uses stone to evolve and dual type except vulpix at final stage, no dual-type for pokemon using fire stone to evolve, but ninetales always associates with psychic)(all has good support move being hypnosis-for def+atk /protect-defense/ wiilowisp-atk respectively)

2) growlithe + sunkern + staryu ( all stone evo, none dual type except staryu at final stage)(with extra good moveset being takedown+flareblits+extreme speed-atk/ sunnyday+solarbeam+synthesis-def+atk/ recover+confuseray-def)

Last edited by jrookie; July 16th, 2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrookie View Post
where to download?
Not even a demo out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful Summer View Post
Do you have tree shadows?
If you do, use them.
That way it won't look like the player can walk between the trees.
Thanks for pointing that out. Sorted.

Quote:
a few suggestion...
1] ATB-liked battle system in final fantasy 7, means all depend on speed of pokemon that it may atk enemy x2 even though enemy only atk once
Out of mostly personal preference, I think I'll be keeping it more traditionally turn-based.

Quote:
2] Making evasion proportional "diifference in speed", like anime
Already doing this.

Quote:
3] pokemon may learn more than 4 move (like anime), personally suggest 6~10
I had a very long debate with myself over this topic, and I'm still not completely decided, but chances are I'll be keeping with the standard 4-moves-only. I came to this decision because it makes battling and raising your Pokemon more strategic, and also because there will be less moves in the game anyways.

Quote:
4] learning of moves need certain condition, (like ur move level), when a water gun is used so often, pokemon learns hydro pump or something like takle leads to quick atk etc etc
Already doing something along these lines, though it usually won't be quite so simple as "use Ember x amount of times and you'll learn Flamethrower".
There'll be a few different ways to learn new moves. A small few might be related to story events. Some you might learn after seeing other Pokemon perform it. Or you might make your Pikachu (who knows Thunderbolt) train alongside your Electabuzz, and Electabuzz might learn it himself. Etc.

Quote:
oh yea, change starer psyduck to a pokemon that needs stone to evolve- suggest u the combination here
The only Pokemon in this game needing Stones to evolve will be Eevee. For the most part, evolution won't be as simple as using an item, or getting your Pokemon to a certain level (or in this case a certain amount of stats).
In this game, evolution will be linked to many different factors. You can even try forcing your Pokemon to evolve - which may be good at first, but could lead to long-term problems and control issues.

Quote:
growlithe + sunkern + staryu
At the moment, the scope of this game only includes the original 151 Pokemon (though there will be a few surprises relating to the plot).

Thanks to everyone else for their comments too.

Old July 16th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Fraot
Researcher & Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Vampire View Post
Already doing something along these lines, though it usually won't be quite so simple as "use Ember x amount of times and you'll learn Flamethrower".
There'll be a few different ways to learn new moves. A small few might be related to story events. Some you might learn after seeing other Pokemon perform it. Or you might make your Pikachu (who knows Thunderbolt) train alongside your Electabuzz, and Electabuzz might learn it himself. Etc.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments too.
It may be good. I think there wont be any TM/HM, so a pokémon may learn a move by "charts" or something like that. But these "charts" tells you what to do for a pokémon to learn a move, people can give them to you: I dunno, maybe old men who were willed trainers on their youth or... who knows? It's kind of Avalon Code-realted thing. (have you played Avalon Code for NDS? you should try it!)

A good idea? But please, don't make a pokémon to learn moves by level, because it doesn't make sense.

And also... a new Megaman X game is coming. Megaman X: Maverick Wars.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM
spritegage
Beginning Trainer

I love the boat in the fog... Thatts like the coolest way to start a pokemon game (The diary thing, I mean). I decided this is the first game I'll support.Do you have a supporterbar for a signature?
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraot View Post
have you played Avalon Code for NDS?
Nope, but I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritegage View Post
I love the boat in the fog... Thatts like the coolest way to start a pokemon game (The diary thing, I mean). I decided this is the first game I'll support.Do you have a supporterbar for a signature?
Thanks. And I just made one now:

I'm not very good with Arty-type stuff though, so if anyone suddenly decides to make a better one then feel free.

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
spritegage
Beginning Trainer

I got it... How does it look? Does it make me look fat? No, I'm kidding... Don't cut yourself so short, I love it. Better than anything I can do...
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
jrookie

i think you should include your progress in the 1st post, like how much had u done

btw, can please dont take away the moves defense curl/rollout/explosion etc (although to some people it may SEEM to be useless)

few questions here:
1. what move pool u using? gen 1? 2? 3? 4?
2. can magneton become magnezone, lickitung become lickylicky etc ?
3. will EV,IV, shiny pokemon exist?
4. the difference between special atk and atk is according to gen4 style or previous gen's style?
5. will nature affect pokemon like the real game does?
6. will the badges provide any special effect?
7. any in-game trade? if yes, will trade pokemon obey?

Well, hope u include this in 1st post too
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Quote:
i think you should include your progress in the 1st post, like how much had u done
Thanks, I forgot to put that in.

Quote:
btw, can please dont take away the moves defense curl/rollout/explosion etc (although to some people it may SEEM to be useless)
I'll still leave some moves like that, just not as many.

Quote:
1. what move pool u using? gen 1? 2? 3? 4?
Completely custom pool of moves from all 4 generations.

Quote:
2. can magneton become magnezone, lickitung become lickylicky etc ?
No. At the moment I'm limiting it to just the first 151 Pokemon. If things progress well and the game moves along at a decent pace, then this will be re-considered.

Quote:
3. will EV,IV, shiny pokemon exist?
EVs and IVs, yes. Shiny pokemon, no. In some ways I'm trying to make it more like the anime, and this is one of them. Pokemon that are shiny? Nope. But there will be a few variations depending on the place the Pokemon is from.

Quote:
4. the difference between special atk and atk is according to gen4 style or previous gen's style?
Gen4.

Quote:
5. will nature affect pokemon like the real game does?
Maybe. Haven't decided whether to include Nature yet.

Quote:
6. will the badges provide any special effect?
No. The only thing the badges do (other than grant you a League position) is increase your Reputation. Also, there will be 10 Gyms - but you still only need 8 badges. Your choice where to get them.

Quote:
7. any in-game trade? if yes, will trade pokemon obey?
Yes. And it completely depends on the Pokemon itself, and how the previous owner treated it, compared to how to you treat it.

Keep the questions coming, I'm loving it. :D

Old July 17th, 2009, 07:18 AM
~Kian~
Spriter In The Making

Nature: Quirky
cool this looks great i like the ideas of the dad thing good luck
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
00Vampire
Trainer

Just thought I'd show you guys the Map for this region...

Asphar Region

Your home town... or should I say city... is the one located in the H shaped partsouth of the centre.

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Nyu~♥!
Pokémon Opal Producer

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to Nyu~♥!
Looks cool and very unique!

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

heres a supporter bar for ya =P

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
00Vampire