The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
...Preface......

Well, as some of you know, I said I was going to quite tile spriting. Well, I didn't. Instead, I just became inspired to make more. These new tiles are still going off of Kyledove's latest style, but my new tiles are gong to be a little... Different... If you have seen my deviantArt account, you would see what I'm talking about. For one, I m making trees a bit bigger. I've always felt that trees in the Pokémon games were too small.

But anyway, the reason why I decided to make a new thread instead of keeping my old one is I want real critique. Please, don't just say you like them or you don't. Provide reasons as to why, and tell me what I can do to improve. In this new showcase, I will only show my latest works. If you wish to see my older works, check the Links section below for a link to my old thread.

And yes, these new tiles are all free to use. My license still stands, so please read it if you do want to use them. That's really all I ask, as everything is stated in there. But just in case you don't read it, please credit me.

Also of note, anything with a bullet next to it is either incomplete and being worked on, or it is being revised to look better. Explanations are in parenthesis next to the descriptions.

...Sprites......

Other
Spoiler:

16-Bit House

Aeronautical License

Aeronautical License Blank

Small Game Font

Maps
Spoiler:

Route 82

Town on the Waves

WIP

New Route and Town

Silvertown, Route 112, and Greenburg

Tilesets

•Tileset 7 (Update some older stuff, add some new stuff)

...Links......

deviantArt Account
License
Old Thread

...Additional Credits......
Kyledove - Style and some tiles

Last edited by Alistair; February 16th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Blasto King
Back On PC

Location: Inside a kingdom in a black hole as Emperor!! it's the truth
very good try to make a map on volcano ground

Click here to help me live
Get your own at Dinomon!

^one of the best hacks around come join now^
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
CensorFairy
Beginning Trainer

All of the tree bark looks kind of off, not sure why, but they just don't have the same flow as everything else.
The tall viney tree particularly seems out of place like it was taken from another tileset.

Last edited by CensorFairy; December 19th, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Esper

I do like the large trees, but I wish they didn't have such a dark band for the lowest level of leaves. The rest of the leaves have more texture and there is a smoother transition between the lighter and darker shades of green. The trunks are pretty nice, though they seem a little to the left of center judging by where the tip of the tree is. The shadows also seem off, but to the right and up, as though the light source was to the left and bottom. The different palettes of your large trees and small trees is also a little off-putting.

And I think you have an error in your new map. The shadow cast by the red-roofed building (very sharp, by the way, with those outlines on the door and windows) is actually making some of the tiles around it lighter.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Good, fresh starts are always nice.
Anyway I always thought houses were supposed to be bigger than trees... They're good nonetheless.
Old December 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Myamo
Beginning Trainer

I love those big trees, they're something new you don't see often.
I also like the tall grass, but it looks like some farmer has put it there. It looks like this, because it has those regular lines in it.
The shadows your objects cast are a bit too light.
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
= GPR =
3rd Gen. Spriter

Nature: Modest
Another thing... the trees seem to run into eachother too much... instead of little openings between the trees, it looks like little plinths sticking out...

there is not much distiction between the trees... they just mush together too much...
June 6th, 2009 4:14 pm

(avitar by gp_arts39)
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

GPR, that's actually the mapping style. But, I suppose since I am altering the tile style, I can alter the mapping style, too.

Scarf, I am trying everything out as you said. I actually lessened the tile usage of the big tree by two by moving it up on the shadow a bit. I also added some detail on the lowest ring of the trees. I replaced the old palette with one based off of the second tree I made in the set. As for the tall, skinny tree, I am still trying to make it look better and better fit in with the set (it's not working, by the way). And as for the trunk, it's supposed to be off-center. I don't really like symmetrical trees. They're too... Unrealistic.

A small text update, I made a few new tiles. I made a new mountain (I suck at those, so when I post it, please help me with it), I made some more detail tiles (like a stump with an ax in it), and... that's it. I am planning to do more buildings, kind of like the one I recently made. I'm kind of on a steampunk rave, so...

Well, that's it for now. I would post my stuff, but my laptop battery died and I don't have my AC adapter with me.
Old December 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Soul.//Silver

Nature: Jolly
I agree with = GPR = after taking a second look at the trees. They just don't blend well (or even join well) together when mapped in that style. I still like them though, and the one with and without the vine look perfect for a Fortree City remake, maybe cause tall trees seem to suit that City (Off-topic: Hint hint Dew xD? Just a suggestion btw not trying to be rude or anything of that nature).
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Spoiler:
Wwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww look at all the useless crit!

I'm glad you didn't quit Alistair. I personally like the fact that the trees run together, it's more like a real forest. I don't like the big red building however, it looks lop-sided due to the you know, the building only goes out on one side.

Last edited by GFA; December 21st, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Nice to see another thread from you. The tiles are great and I really like the tree with vines. The leaves are unique idea as far as that goes. I don't really like the gears coming out of the house(mostly because I've never seen it). Great job!
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

@GFA: Well, the redo building is of a new style I'm trying. It may look lopsided now, but after I make a few more buildings and a map, I think it will look a little better. I'll still probably make some different versions of it anyway.

@Sab: As I said before, it's a new style I'm trying. It's inspired by steampunk, so that means GEARS! Haha.

Anyway, I updated the tileset. It has some new smaller things, and of course the new building I have been working on. It took about two days to get it to look right, but please tell me where I can improve on it. The new tileset is in the first post (since I haven't made it to two pages yet). No map this time, though.
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
GFA
Community Supporter

The building on the left reminds me of a greenhouse, which is really cool. Steampunk is cool, so I hope you continue

Would you please change your signature?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
The big trees do look way too big... When I first saw them, I thought they were designed to be used with 32x32 tiles :\

Also, the house shadow looks weird. Where it overlays the air extractor on the map, the part in shadow is lighter than the part in light. Try making the shadow darker :P
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
InvisibleGoldenBulbasaur
Level 153

Nature: Sassy
These are pretty solid. I like the rusty mill-looking building. But I agree, the big trees are gigantic; I'd love to see them in a hack someday but I'm not sure they'd fit in the tileset.

Bulbasaur's Explosion: Now with 20% less suck!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

GFA - Signature changed.

Wichu - Haha, I know they look weird. Everyone is so used to small, puny trees. I always thought the official trees looked weird because of their small size, so I decided to make them bigger. About the shadow, it's fixed now (as is the layering of that part of the map). It's now a dark gray instead of a slightly darker green.

Anyway, the updated map is posted above. I added some new areas to showcase the new tiles as well as one that going to be added to the set). For some reason, I am really motivated to work on this set, as well as to post every update (then again, that's just how I work, hehe).
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
GFA
Community Supporter

Love the expanded Map. Just saw the holes in the trees... Now what on Earth could that be for? Headbutting?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Esper

Very nice job on the trees. The mountain tiles look smooth, but it's weird to see the same designs on them used in the water tiles. Maybe it's just because it's the same pattern, but I also imagine underwater areas looking more lush and not looking like barren rock.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Great job alister. The shop leaves me dumbfounded. The only suggestion I have is that the crack in the underwater tile is a bit too dark. Dang, it's hard to post now that we have to criticize your work every post...
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
These are amazing, I especially love on the water tiles how you gave that extra bit of detail by showing what is underneath it.
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Well, a small text update. I am working on making the water tiles a bit better. While I do like them in their current state, there is always room to improve and that's what I'm trying to do. Scarf, that includes making underwater plants and different ground textures. I am also working on a cave entrance, and another building.

And this is a WIP. Obviously, there's a lot missing, but as I make more, this is going to become a city with every building being unique. I posted this a few days ago on dA, but I've been too lazy to post it here. Oh, and I'm working on making the shadows a bit better.

I do have a newer version of it done, but I don't really feel like posting it. There are some things I want to touch up. Oh, and I'm not going to use the tiled grid. Think pixel-based movement, not tile-based.
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
You've got some realy great tiles but your bigger trees look more like they are from a pokemon ranger game :\

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

I'm not in total agreement with your comment. While yes, they have a similar size, the styles are completely different. I did a short comparison for myself, so I didn't post a baseless comment.

Anyway, I have for you an update to the WIP posted above. I added some more clutter, and a new building. I will update the new tileset at some point or another (but there are too many clutter tiles to add to the sheet, haha. I might just make a branching sheet).

Oh, and what's hidden?
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
[NovaPirate]
And the rest went riding on.

'Ello Alistair, good to see you.
I can't find your license, could you point it out to me?

And about that last WIP, the boxes on the far bottom seem almost /too/ aligned for the clutter, and it looks a bit weird to me. But it might be just me.
Really, REALLY love the new stuff, and the trees aren't so bad to me, although they are quite big.

edit;
Looked at the trees again, and you might want to fix the smaller, more spherical ones. When placed next the the giant ones they look like bushes more so than smaller trees. Whether that's a problem with the big trees or little trees I don't know.
Another small note, you might want to add some darker colors to the spherical trees, because the bigger trees have more contrast and it might make all trees look more similar.
But I think I'm wrong there.

edit2;
Another thing is that the grass looks a little /small/ next to the monstrous trees. It might be best to expand that a little too.
I looked again, and the grass looks nice with the smaller trees, but weird and undersized with the larger ones.
So those large trees are just causing problems for everyone.

edit3;
Found the license! And I love your water tiles :D

Gaah.
This signature is under construction.
But dun worry.
It will most likely stay like this FOREVAH.
Because I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be.
-[NP]
Old December 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
-Smash
Lv.86 Pixel Artist

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I'm not in total agreement with your comment. While yes, they have a similar size, the styles are completely different. I did a short comparison for myself, so I didn't post a baseless comment.

Anyway, I have for you an update to the WIP posted above. I added some more clutter, and a new building. I will update the new tileset at some point or another (but there are too many clutter tiles to add to the sheet, haha. I might just make a branching sheet).

Oh, and what's hidden?
These are probably some of the best tiles I've seen here. You got some pretty unique designs there; they set that perfect urban mood a good pokemon game should have.

You'd only have to work on the quality a bit more. Say, first off is that, there's an evident overuse of black lines in places where other colors would go perfectly.

Take house "left" as an example. The Bar sign, the pipe over the cylinder shaped outcoming, some of the plates, chimeneys, all would use some cleaning up.

House "middle" goes same, as it has the shop sign and many others, like the side curved window to the right of the sign. Instead of it having those jagged black lines, imagine how it would look if it was made like house "right"s front windows.

House right's side bricks might also need some cleaning up, as well as the gears on it.

All the boxes might look better with less to none dark lines on top, so that the lightsource would be visibly evident.

Also, having the roof edges that face us use brighter lines would be another improvement, and even better with thinner lines.

It somewhat reminds me of XD.. But We'll have to wait for the backgrounds first.

Sponsored Links