The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I can't find much to critique but I did notice that the shading on the larger trees make them look squarish. Specifically the lower half. If you could round off each "level" of shading then the trees would look much more natural.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Old Post:
Spoiler:
Well, guys, I just had a burst of inspiration. Not that that means I'm going to post anything or update anything (yet). Right now, I am contemplating the direction I am going to take. It's for sure going to be pixel art, but right now, I am getting some solid ideas down on paper and I won't be updating the thread for a few weeks or so. Steampunk is still going to be my inspiration, but maybe with my own little quirks thrown in. But I just think this Pokémon-esque style just isn't going to cut it. Quite frankly, looking back at it, going with the Pokémon theme was a mistake. I'm sorry to the people who did like it, but I don't think I'm conveying the same sense of emotion I want to, and this stuff just isn't what I'm picturing in my head.

Be prepared for something big, is all I can say. It's going to come in small chunks like I do now, but the finished thing will be big.

While this update is really small, I think it demonstrates what I'm going for. Like I said, I am ditching the Pokémon style that I have used for so long and I am making my own now.

Old January 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Andrew McKenzie
Meh.

Alistair. Alistair. Alistair.
It's great to see you still working!

And what great work you still have!

I will, with your permission, and in giving credit, use the last of your Pokemon-esque updates.
That excludes the ones in the old topic that are marked not useable because they were made specificly for someone else's hack/game.

It is sad to hear you're going to change to a new style of pixels, but, man, great work. Keep it up, no matter what it is!
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Thanks for the comment. But a new style could mean improvement on my Pokémon fan-made tiles, so think about that for a minute.

Anyway, I updated the tileset with some new stuff. It's in the first post, but it'll be here, too. In addition, I added multiple languages saying "Please give me credit." I know, they probably aren't correct, so please tell me the correct way to say it if you know (Dante already told me about the Italian one, and it's fixed on the verion I have on my computer).

And yes, I did take to heart the critique of Smash and Conan. I have no idea where I put the most recent editions of the buildings, though (they went through a few edits after those posts).

Oh, and finally, if anyone is wondering why there are no shadows on some of the most recent objects, it was so I could make shadows the way I needed them to fit.
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM
CensorFairy
Beginning Trainer

You really do bring an original flavor in your tiles.

I think the water tiles need a little something more- they appear very repetitive on the maps.
It's like the grass tiles flow really organically but the waters sort of just look like squares.

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Esmas
General

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Esmas
Very nice! As you know, I'm a huge fan of your sprites...especially these ones. I see that you're developing your own distinctive style, Alistair, and it looks great! The only words I could find that define your style are 'shiny' and 'definitive'.

I especially like your large trees with the vines hanging from them, and your small Cut trees (if they are Cut trees)...they're so cute! And maybe your signposts need a little work.

Your water needs some revision. I really like the nice, shiny palette, but the part where the water meets the earth doesn't look right. I mean, it doesn't exactly look like the earth is under the water, if you know what I mean. Maybe darken the palette there or something.

And I really, REALLY like your mountain tile, but the sides need improvement. The palette shades need to transition from lighter to darker as it is viewed further, but I bet you already knew that.

Lastly, like the guy above me said, black outline is evidently overused. But, to me, the black outline can be either overused or underused, which means that you should either use ALL black outline or NO black outline, and there shouldn't be much meeting between the two.

For example, where your small logs are closeby your mountain ledges, they don't exactly match. Either you remove the black outline from the logs or add black outline to the ledges.

Anyway, I can't wait to see more work from you, or at least see edits and/or improvements of these tiles. You've done great work and made much progress. Good work. :)
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Thanks for the crit guys. But if I didn't say it already, I am discontinuing that set. See everything in the lower-right corner? Well, that is what I'm aiming for. The old "inspiration" of Pokémon is going to be gone, which means the cartoony look and the black lines are going away, too. But I do appreciate the feedback, and if I were still working on the set, I would totally take your advice and edit it right away. I wish I had more than the outlines done on the re-styling of the original buildings to show you what I mean, but I don't. Even the outlines aren't fully complete yet, either.

Oh, and Esmas, next Saturday. Be here. I may have something for you.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Andrew McKenzie
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
But a new style could mean improvement on my Pokémon fan-made tiles, so think about that for a minute.
That is quite interesting.
Whatever it is you do, I'll be keeping an eye on this topic and your excellent work.
Keep it up, Alistair! =D
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Well, I decided to do something not tile-related. If you take a look at my avatar, you'll see. But just in case I ever change it again, here it is. Obviously myself, but I mainly did it as a practice for dithering.

And yeah, the ear is a bit small. I'll edit that later.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Well, I decided to do something not tile-related. If you take a look at my avatar, you'll see. But just in case I ever change it again, here it is. Obviously myself, but I mainly did it as a practice for dithering.

And yeah, the ear is a bit small. I'll edit that later.
Not bad, the neck seems a tad bit long though xP. And the mouth looks a little sadistic.

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Never doubt the length of my neck! It is really long (seriously).

But the mouth was fixed. I don't smile much, and that was just a failed half-grin. The ear, well, I'm leaving it for now. The nose was also improved, and I added a dimple for my smile.

In addition, I made an aero-nautical license for myself. See below with the updated picture (in sepia!).

Obviously, I didn't do the font myself. I felt it would be better if I just used the font tool this time around (the font is Gabriola, by the way).

And for anyone that would like to make their own, I have the blank.

Last edited by Alistair; January 8th, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:10 AM
DreadWaffle
LOVE AND PEACE!

Nature: Calm
nice one man, but i don't know how many people will use the template
but it is a nice little thing people could put in sigs is suppose.
btw is the town of ??? nice, because i didn't even know it existed 0,o(supprised bird) and anyway can you send me a postcard from the area of ???, ?
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Well, the residence portion of the card was just a placeholder. I changed it, because I actually thought of something. But I also made a version of the card with the color picture. Here are the updated versions.

I think I like the sepia version better, though.
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Esmas
General

Very nice! But, maybe just desaturate the art a bit and add a different hue, instead of adding sepia.

The only problem is, the font is kind of small and hard to read. ;_;
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

The thing is, though, the picture is supposed to be a daguerrotype (sp?), so sepia is the only way of coloring (since daguerrotypes could only produce brown and white pictures). The colored version, well, it was really just a test to see how it would look. But you are totally right on the font. Plus, it doesn't feel right not using a font I made.

Anyway, I just made the first building in the new set. I think it turned out okay, but there are some things I want to improve on and some things I want to add. I would also like to note that yes, some shading is missing. I did not notice until I uploaded it. I'll post the updated version soon.

But cheesus crust, this thing took a long time to make.

Old January 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM
-Smash
Lv.86 Pixel Artist

Nature: Calm
This house just screams FF6 to me.

But for crit:

The scratchy surface of the white walls could be toned down a bit, and the wooden surfaces would look better and smoother without the dithering.. Hell, many things here would look better with a bit more of contrast, smoother surfaces, and without the dithering.

You should remember that when shading small objects, dithering works better for defining rough surfaces and the like.. Over-using it will only get you scratched textures everywhere, giving the piece an unwanted monotony and substracted depth. The goal here is to find a harmonious balance between the elements used and the techniques incorporated.

EDIT: Counted and.. WTF! 23+ colours? That's just way too many.

Economizing colors is one of the most important aspects of pixel art, and surely one of the best methods to help oneself improve. For something like this, 16 colors can give you enough freedom as it is, but the fewer you have, the better, because it forces you to figure out effective placement of the shades and hue mixing, among others. It is why pixeling in 8-bit is the perfect practice you can get, I must add.

Either way, I strongly suggest you to lower the count.

Last edited by -Smash; January 10th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Actually, the first version had more colors. I think it had about 30, but I'm not sure. But yeah, I fully agree on the color part. I am still working on getting more out of there, and finding more "universal colors" (colors that can be used in more than one situation in a map or sprite). But there was at least some reason to my madness. I'm trying to limit my entire palette to 512 colors. That goes for EVERYTHING that will be made in this set, including character overworlds. I was going to say something about the doors, but then again I realized I used the same palette for the doors on the windows. Just for reference, though, the doors would not add to the color count. In the case of buildings, and in the style I am using them, they are treated as seperate, animated sprites (animations coming eventually). This is because they have many uses, not just this one building.

But also, I could say I'm using a layering system and making each object individually on a 16x16 tiled grid, leaving whitespace where these objects should go. I could also say I'm rendering it on a Super Nintendo in Mode 3 as a part of a major background with a few tiles in the second layer. Both of those would be lies, though.

About the paint on the building, I totally agree. It could definitely be toned down. But there was one thing that I probably didn't do correctly, and that would be presenting the columns the way I wanted them to look. They're supposed to be rusted metal supports (made of a copper alloy), but I should probably rework them entirely to make them look that way. I think the contrast thing also goes hand-in-hand with the entire color issue, which means it will be worked on.

But also, you have to remember this is only one building. This is going to be a part of a much bigger background eventually, so what may not look pleasant or correct here could actually look better when added to a bigger map. As I was planning on doing with the last set, I am going to make two versions of the tileset. One with the original way it was made, and an alternate version with your critique taken by heart. That way, I also have some a median to work with if I like certain aspects of one thing but certain, different aspects in the other set.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Esmas
General

Wow, excellent! I really like your new style. It really reminds me of the classic Final Fantasy games and stuff...I really have nothing to say, though, since Smash basically covered everything. But what I will say is that I think the tile is too big, at least because it looks like the house is supposed to be long and not high. And maybe the stairs don't look like they're in the right perspective.

But overall it looks really cool. :] Good job, Alistair.
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Like I said, this is just a small piece of the bigger picture. Sure, it may seem a little awkward now because of the shape, but once it's put into place, it won't look so out of it. And it's not only a house, it's also a shop. Hence the sign next to the door.

But yeah, I editted the building quite a bit, and I am still in the process of doing it. Here is the latest version.

I got rid of the orange-ish palette for the support columns and used the same palette I used on the doors and windows. I also toned down the texture of the walls, and I edited the stairs a little. There are some more things that I edited, too, and I added the shading where it was missing. There is one thing that really bugs me that I noticed today, but I'll leave it up to you guys to find it.

Also, I updated the first post a bit. If you check it out, there's something new there.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Well, some new things. For one, I made a new signature. It originally started out as a prototype for isometric buildings, but somehow ended up being a new signature.

Second, I am going to touch up some old tiles, and I am making a few tiles for a specific someone (not going to say who, though), but other than that, I probably won't be making any tiles for a while longer. I am rethinking the style I am going to use for my game again, so I'll probably make a few prototype tiles (such as the house/shop combo seen above), but I may not show them.

But anyway, here is the first of a few new tiles. I blurred it to prevent theft.
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Scarex
Beautyfool.

Hello Alistair
Since the new tile seems to me to be excessively big but I like him , since it is very well realized and hiscolors are fabulous
I expect to see more your tiles
Regards!
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Esmas
General

Nice new signature/logo, Alistair. I love the isometric/3D view, and I can read it, but I can't understand it XD The only thing is the darker grey parts on the upper and lower areas don't look enough like a colour transition to me.

And I love the building! It's huge and complicated, but I like it :) Good luck, can't wait to see more of your awesome work :D
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Same thing I said on DA.
Quote:
Great Alister! your house looks great! I'm really reaching here but the roof kind of looks like (to me at least) it has holes on the front part, because you used such a dark color for the shading.
Also the sig thing looks great, except the "t" looks a little weird to me.
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Thanks for the comments.

@ Scarex: Yeah, I'm making them bigger. I can't really help it, now, haha.

@ Esmas: I'm working on a new background. I know the transitions suck. KD

@ Sab: Well, I tried to make it look like roof tiles. Not like regular ones, but the curved ones. Plus, I didn't want to use any more colors. There were already too many as it was. For the signature, that was exactly what I was aiming for on the "t."

Anyway, I made a new building, a heavy edit of an old building, a new tile, and also a new map. Presenting them all in the town on the waves.

Old February 13th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Is the "grid" on the floor meant to be there?
Because it's too dark.

And I'm pretty sure you did this because of the spriting limitations, but the height of the city should cause the city's shadow to be more blurred.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here