The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, there is supposed to be the grid look on the town's floor. They are supposed to be slabs of concrete, much like what you'd see in a sidewalk. I did lighten the borders on the lighter tile, though. And about the shadow thing, that was ust me being lazy, haha. All I did mas make a tile with a solid semi-transparent color and layer it over the water, but under the supports.

Anyway, I did make some updates that also weren't mentioned bove. Here is the updated version.

Old February 13th, 2010, 08:38 AM
PokemonOI
Back To WORK!

Nature: Brave
That looks really sweet alistair, That looks like a cool place to visit in a game. I really like the dirty look of the place and the pokeballs that are hidden, it all looks great.
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
WOW! That gym may be your BEST tile EVER! I looked at it for 10 minutes straight trying to find a single thing to improve, but it looks perfect to me. Great job!
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Well, after having a block of ideas for the next buildings, I decided to make some more outside tiles and a new map.

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
My, that looks extraordinary. The trees look fascinating and everything fits so well...

What, it's difficult for me to find a new compliment every time. XD
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Haha, thanks.

Anyway, here's a new map. It combines my previous map with some old maps and adds some new ares. It's really large, so I'm putting it in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:20 PM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Wow Alistair, those new trees look awesome. One complaint I have about the set, is the water puddles. They look too round, which makes them look awkward. Besides that, they're omfgsex.

EDIT: Oyah, I REALLY like the water rock. It's superb. Also, your new wild grass improved on your old version by a ton. I love the cross-hatched look it has.
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Beam Me Up, Furry Bandit!
Naito Park

Nature: Quiet
Now, that looks realistic. But, something's missing from it, and I don't know what it is.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Zephyr+
Oripoke
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Hmm. Not a big fan of your seawater tile-- there's so much contrast and not enough hueshifting, so the lighter parts almost look like they're raised up or embossed or whatever. Also there's a fairly obvious grid. I saw this really really cool tutorial on removing the grid in overworlds, lemme find it...

Here. I haven't done tiles using this yet, but it seems very useful. (Just in case you're wondering, I found it here.)
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

The water is one of the things I'm working on at the moment, actually. I know, the current water looks like crap, but for now, it's just a placeholder (maybe I chould have used a revamped version of an older water tile instead). And to be honest, I'd rather not read the tutorial. That way, I can experiment for myself and see what works, rather than following someone else's knowlege.

But seriously, Zephyr, I would appreciate a little more feedback from you, considering it seems like you know how to give it.

But yeah, small text update. I'm still working on making the map bigger. I have the entire region planned out, so mapping it should go slightly faster than when I don't plan something. In addition to the new additions, I'm also adding a new area to the lower-left corner. It's really a bit of wasted space, to be honest, and I think it could be put to better use. Also, I'm working on making two types of palm tree (fan palm and a more traditional-looking palm), and some indoor tiles. A bit going on here besides that, but I'm not saying what. I'm probably not going to update for a while after this, unless it's a reply to someone or a small text update.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM
558122_DG
Learning how to make mistakes

I like the new moss rock (the one in the ocean), it looks great
I love how you've made the sandy island-paths, the way they are designed allows them to take on unique shapes. The new trees looks simply amazing, nicely textured ect.
However I don't like your new pokeball OW thing, it doesn't look realistic enough but it's colors suit the tiles around it.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Yeah, the PokéBall wasn't made for this set. I just recolored it so I would have something. I'm working on making a proper one.

Well, I really wanted to revamp the old Valencia Island map I made a long time ago, so I did. Here it is. And the new tiles aren't available to use. I'm not entirely sure with what I want to do with them yet. I didn't put a watermark or anything on them because it looks like crap.

Everything else stated above is still being worked on. I know, I used that water tile, but the new one isn't really acceptable at this point (meaning it's incomplete).
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
PokemonOI
Back To WORK!

Nature: Brave
Oh man! excellent work as always alistair, Im really liking it alot. takes me back to mapping the orange islands when I was doing infinite rainbow lol and now Malachite. Nice!
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Glad you like it.

Here is another revamped map from the days of old. This one is called PalmBreeze Beach. Eventually, I plan on adding it to the huge map posted above.

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:13 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Glad you like it.

Here is another revamped map from the days of old. This one is called PalmBreeze Beach. Eventually, I plan on adding it to the huge map posted above.

Man your style has surely progressed so much! I saw at first how revamped you did this and may I say what I thought was beautiful at first has now become even more beautiful!

¡Bravo!, my friend

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Esmas
General

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Esmas
Wow, I really LOVE those new trees (the last two you posted). The only thing is, in the last tree you posted, it looks sort of unnatural the way both sides of the tree are the same. I mean, usually trees look fine that way, but for that type of tree and for a tile that size, I think it'd be better if you changed that up. Or maybe just shorten that one leaf that goes wavy.

And I think I remember that map. I remember when most of your tiles used FireRed as a base...but all or mostly from scratch is much better. Great job! 8D

Oh, and there's an error on the last map where the gym's shadow is :]
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Naito Park

Why not add the people on the map, makes it more lively!
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Scarex
Beautyfool.

Hi!

As the island is quite your style, I als gutan houses, pallettes and mountain tiles and sand, I do not like is the way to the sea or the palm trees, is like that do not match those pallettes ...

Finally, I wish you luck with your tiles!

Greetz!
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:39 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
I like the new rock tile much better than the old one. also great job on spriting the pc, and mart, but they look better suited for a city though..
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Esmas
General

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Esmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam Me Up, Furry Bandit! View Post
Why not add the people on the map, makes it more lively! :)
Hm, that's a good idea. Kyledove does that, and it just adds energy to the map, and fills in a bunch of spaces.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM
558122_DG

Yea but then he would surely need to make some, I don't think default FR OWs would go with these better tiles :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
I like the new rock tile much better than the old one. also great job on spriting the pc, and mart, but they look better suited for a city though..
But the new water rock tiles is dark and doesn't go with the mountains

Well anyways I like the new wood-fence tiles they look great

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by 558122_DG; February 28th, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Alistair
Donator Tier 2

Thanks for the comments, guys. I am working on a multitude of things at the moment that should fix most of your concerns (especially the overworld one ).

Also, I've been working on some indoor tiles, and here is a small preview. I'm still working on them a bit, and these aren't all the ones I have done.

I also decided to revamp an older piece I called "My house if it were in Pokémon" on deviantArt. I made a few fixes to make it closer to my house in real life.

Old March 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM
558122_DG

very nice house you have there :o (pun XD)

I like the swimming pool

Old March 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM
Ven
Tyrian

Oh wow, I really love the house, the shadow in the pool is a very nice touch.
Something I found a bit odd was that the edges of pool were very linear, I think it would fit in the with environment more if you rounded them out more.
Then again I'm not that great of a spriter.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Naito Park

Are you going to release these tiles soon as a tileset?

Sponsored Links