The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Whose Overworld sprite do you want to see?
??? (The mysterious woman) 29 42.65%
Aster 14 20.59%
Kaius 12 17.65%
Lilah 4 5.88%
Sadie 3 4.41%
Vivi 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
XxAzaliaxX
n00b hack trainer

Nature: Naughty
Hello! I'm very knew to hacks and yours was the first I tried. It was amazing!!! :D I can't wait to see what else happens.

Also, I'm pretty sure this has been addressed, but the next hack you make, will we have to start from the beginning? D: I have some really awesome pokemon.

I'm also going to reply the game so I can see if they're any problems :D Unfortunately I can't play it on mah PSP

Last edited by XxAzaliaxX; January 16th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM
VGAura
Beginning Trainer

I would like to thank everybody for their feedback.

About having to start over in the next demo, I’ll make it so you don’t have to start from scratch but if you do, there will be plenty of revised maps, dialogue, and scripts along with additional side-quests including one in the sewers that I had planned but didn’t manage to finish.
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:28 PM
SonicBlazePlatinum
/)^3^(\
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Interesting. I wonder where you got the idea for the slums. It seems interesting to me.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:33 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
I'm too impatient to wait a year for the next release
I'm really excited to find out what happens after the player "dies"!
did you have to end the demo there?!
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
VGAura
Beginning Trainer

Definitely

After all, that was the best way I could think of to end the demo.
End it with something suspenseful in the mini-chapter, otherwise it would just end with the player walking out of the warehouse, and nobody wants a boring ending like that.

Anyways, I've been doing some spriting and, needless to say, the result didn't turn out the way I would have liked.

It looks okay here but when animated the sprites look stiff and flat. I don't know what the problem is.

I had a lot of color related problems with male Id so the final result just ended up with horrible colors.

Female Id's pose is a little awkward. Also, how can I make her look more feminine.

If someone with spriting experience would give me advice on how I can improve these, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited by VGAura; January 28th, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Removed spoiler tags
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Weavile Gemini
Some Ninja

Nature: Naughty
Hmm. Maybe you could give the female Id longer hair to make her look more feminine?
I will say that I like the way you did both of their jackets.

One question, is that thing on their heads a helmet or something else?

Old January 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Chibi Robo
of the entire epoch!

Nature: Jolly
Ive played through the hack and I have to say it seems this hack is getting alot of hype. This kind of hack doesnt really fit in the pokemon genre. The hack would probably work out better as a completely different genre of game. Because right now it doesn't really seem to focus much on Pokemon. It has good scripts nonetheless. Though the mapping could use some major work. A Nintendo styled map would probably work out the best. The lack of new sprites or graphics really irritate me, since it sounds like this hack would need a lot of new graphics and your just using the default fr tiles (which are nice don't get me wrong) but the hack just needs some new sprites. Anyways Here's a list I recommend you improve on the game.

• Focus the game more on Pokemon.
  • Work on maps (Nintendo mapping style preferably)
  • Get some new sprites
Anyways its a better then average hack but not enough to keep me entertained.
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Robo View Post
Ive played through the hack and I have to say it seems this hack is getting alot of hype. This kind of hack doesnt really fit in the pokemon genre. The hack would probably work out better as a completely different genre of game. Because right now it doesn't really seem to focus much on Pokemon. It has good scripts nonetheless. Though the mapping could use some major work. A Nintendo styled map would probably work out the best. The lack of new sprites or graphics really irritate me, since it sounds like this hack would need a lot of new graphics and your just using the default fr tiles (which are nice don't get me wrong) but the hack just needs some new sprites. Anyways Here's a list I recommend you improve on the game.

• Focus the game more on Pokemon.
  • Work on maps (Nintendo mapping style preferably)
  • Get some new sprites
Anyways its a better then average hack but not enough to keep me entertained.
Ignore this. The maps are fine man. max likes ugly maps just like his face
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
VGAura
Beginning Trainer

I admit that the game doesn't focus too much on Pokémon but the connection is there (one scene mentions that the protagonist is able to talk to a certain kind of Pokémon which becomes a significant fact later in the story) and I might as well say this now since the titlescreen won't be completed for some time. The cover Pokémon will be the Unown.

Also, the plot is already written down and checked thoroughly for consistency so forcing any inclusion would just make it feel out of place.

I'm mapping with the mindset of creating areas of the Pokémon world that are less traversed. I know that doesn't make any sense but I'm more or less experiementing for the time being.

What I plan hope to do is find a style (and not just mapping either) different from Nintendo that also works. After all, its easy to mimic Nintendo's formula because, well, it works but we've seen that already. I'm doing my best to mix up the standard formula so the player's experiences with this hack are different than the regular Pokémon game.

I didn't plan on changing the graphics but the sewers, at the very least, needs a custom tileset.

All main characters will receive new sprites, in fact, you can check out the drafts of the protagonist's sprite a couple posts up and yea, they are wearing helmets.

Last edited by VGAura; January 20th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Mastercomp
Beginning Trainer

Where does the demo end at because the guard wont let me in to silverstone? Also i found a grass area in the Ancient Grove past the Timeless Grove that you just cant walk on but its not major or a big deal just wanted to point that out.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Znood
Beginning Trainer

i just finished demo 1 of this pokemon game and it is my favorite game of all time now!
i love this game dude, the story is awesome and better than all the pokemon games i've ever played
keep up the amazing work! ur so awesome for coming up with this = D
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
chrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercomp View Post
Where does the demo end at because the guard wont let me in to silverstone? Also i found a grass area in the Ancient Grove past the Timeless Grove that you just cant walk on but its not major or a big deal just wanted to point that out.
No...
The Demo ends After you "Die"...
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercomp View Post
There's a path between two houses near the first guard (The path's behind a small blue-roofed one I think)

Anyways, nice work on this. Normally, I get bored of 3rd gen hacks pretty quickly, but this has me hooked.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
slashedsickness
I'm a master-debator!

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGAura View Post
I admit that the game doesn't focus too much on Pokémon but the connection is there (one scene mentions that the protagonist is able to talk to a certain kind of Pokémon which becomes a significant fact later in the story) and I might as well say this now since the titlescreen won't be completed for some time. The cover Pokémon will be the Unown.

Also, the plot is already written down and checked thoroughly for consistency so forcing any inclusion would just make it feel out of place.

I'm mapping with the mindset of creating areas of the Pokémon world that are less traversed. I know that doesn't make any sense but I'm more or less experiementing for the time being.

What I plan hope to do is find a style (and not just mapping either) different from Nintendo that also works. After all, its easy to mimic Nintendo's formula because, well, it works but we've seen that already. I'm doing my best to mix up the standard formula so the player's experiences with this hack are different than the regular Pokémon game.

I didn't plan on changing the graphics but the sewers, at the very least, needs a custom tileset.

All main characters will receive new sprites, in fact, you can check out the drafts of the protagonist's sprite a couple posts up and yea, they are wearing helmets.
You should stick with what you're doing! I have not actually played it yet because I always read every post before downloading and testing. I didn't want you to get too bummed out by that loser that likes the same old pokemon game with a few new graphic changes. I am a pokemon fan, but seriously not much has ever changed about the games. I would LOVE to see a full-featured game like what you are doing! I would help out but I am a spriting noob and a programming illiterate. I am a fan though! If you could add a lot to it I would donate every cent of my PayPal account to you! Your pokemon game seems a lot better than anything else I've seen.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
Finally got round to finishing the demo. Love those references in there (Especially Chester. A. Bum).
The interactions and characters are awesome too. Especially Lilah and her remark for when you try and get past a homeless person blocking the path...
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Lati-Fan95
I completed my HG Pokedex!^^

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Lati-Fan95
I just gotta say... This hack is one of the most awesome hacks I've ever seen! I git hooked by the stroy in the first minutes of gameplay! In every town I really asked myself what will happen to Id next and I was always even more hooked in when a important event (dream) happened! I also felt quite uneasy or sometimes a little scared in the sewers everytime I read the things the guys were saying (depends on what they said, the guy that always said something about Pay Day scared me a bit)... And the ending is soo epic, I can't wait for the next beta release (hope it'll be earlier than you said...)

And the new OWs: The male one is great, he suits to the story with his look and in a special way, he looks pretty cool! I just think that the female hero looks too male... Maybe longer hair and a more female outfit, and it'll be alright!
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM
DDk
Beginning Trainer

Never mind got passed it.

Last edited by DDk; January 27th, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Mastercomp
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by Roxasabridged View Post
There's a path between two houses near the first guard (The path's behind a small blue-roofed one I think)

Anyways, nice work on this. Normally, I get bored of 3rd gen hacks pretty quickly, but this has me hooked.

Thanks but i just figured that out a day after my post on here..lol. Also i wanted to say the the demo was the best i seen yet out there and i like how it ended.

VGAura you put hard work and effort in this demo. I wish you the best for the next one. Keep it up with the good work and thanks for letting me play your ideas and skills.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Those overworld sprites are nice. I can't really tell from my mobile screen, but if they look stiff when they walk, make sure the stepping frames are one pixel lower than the stationary frames. That makes their heads bob while walking, which may be your problem..
Although on closer inspection (again, on my small screen) you appear to have done that. I don't know, just insert them and when people see them animated for themselves, you'll get more accurate feedback. I wouldn't worry too much, they seem fine to me.
As for the trainer sprites, I like Female Id, don't touch her:D Male Id.. Make him a bit more blue rather than that gray/black. (don't even redo the sprite, just do a palette change). It should be fine, then.
I actually remember playing this demo before, I wasn't sure. It was really great. I found it a tiny bit annoying that everytime you met the person you were looking for, you'd have to keep going, but it wasn't that bad, and I'm lazy, so that's the only thing I'd say against it, but don't pay it any heed. Keep going the way you're going. It's no surprise to me that this is in the Showcase. Best of luck

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:58 AM
SonicBlazePlatinum
/)^3^(\
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Will sprites for trainers like Bum be changed too? I like the choice of starters you made: Machop, Ralts, and Seedot.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
chrunch

Any progress or updates, VGAura?
You haven't been posting lately.
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM
VGAura
Beginning Trainer

I was in such a good mood yesterday with the Gen V reveal and all, I've decided to revamp the female protagonist sprite.

I just got this done and I'm actually satisfied with the results this time.

Old February 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sarcastic Prince
Starting anew...

Nature: Timid
Quote:
I was in such a good mood yesterday with the Gen V reveal and all, I've decided to revamp the female protagonist sprite.

Looks pretty cute. The red hair looks incredibly nice.
Oh, and by the way, I'm gonna download this now.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:22 PM
chrunch

Quote:

Me too.
And the sprite looks great!
Good work on it.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
The Cynic
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥

Nature: Quirky
I'm liking the way this hack is very story-oriented and actually has an original story rather as opposed to hacks which just throw you against "an evil team the wants to capture a legendary". Well done, those screenshots really are very appealing. Your map layouts are terrific!

I just want to point out that choosing Seedot gives you an advantage above the two other starters. Dark is immune tp psychic, not just resistant.

Keep it up!

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links