The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
If they're actually going somewhere, they might as well go into Progressing Hacks. Just add a few screenshots and you're good to go. Of course, we might even take the time to review the minimum standard, but that's for another time.

Oh, and for you guys who say "interdpth had his wish" (etc.), just so you know, this has actually been concepted by the mods for several months. There's another idea happening very soon though - I'm creating a new sub-forum for something some of you may appreciate, but I'm not willing to say what it is at this time.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
558122_DG
Learning how to make mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony La View Post
If they're actually going somewhere, they might as well go into Progressing Hacks. Just add a few screenshots and you're good to go. Of course, we might even take the time to review the minimum standard, but that's for another time.

Oh, and for you guys who say "interdpth had his wish" (etc.), just so you know, this has actually been concepted by the mods for several months. There's another idea happening very soon though - I'm creating a new sub-forum for something some of you may appreciate, but I'm not willing to say what it is at this time.

yea i realize that but there is one problem....I know my hack won't be in the slums of the scrapbox BUT i think inorder to have it ready by FEB. there will be alot of rush work....

But i guess you make your point, the bottom line is the scrapbox is going whether we like it or not

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Haku.
(FLAME)...H....A...K..U

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Haku.
Points to note of in the scrapbox.
1st. Many of it are spams, incomplete or even just an idea.
2nd. Most of the hacks in the scrapbox does not show significant amount of progress.
3rd. Only a few hacks outshine the others. NOTE THAT I SAY A FEW.
4th. Taking down the SCRAPBOX FORUM is a good idea.

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
.com
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .com
Why can't you make threads in Progressing Hacks atm either? D=
This totally kills my new-thread-on-New-Year's plan.. =[
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Modest
The Scrapbox was a good idea in theory...but if there's one thing I know about human nature, it's that things hardly ever work out the way we think they will "in theory." Although I enjoyed reviewing here, if it's time for this place to go, than it's time for it to go. ' (The audience in Progressing Hacks would better appreciate getting a big long review out of the blue, anyway XD ) The few diamonds in the rough will do just as well in Progressing Hacks (and probably could have been posted there in the first place with a little more work before a thread was started; again making the Scrapbox redundant - the dedicated people whose hacks stand out would get into Progressing Hacks soon enough anyway), and we'll be rid of a whole boatload of spam, which is always a blessing XD Also, there's already a thread for "storyline help and advice," in the main forum, so ideas could simply be posted there rather than here XD

Also, when the Scrapbox is removed, will all posts we made in it vanish along with it, or will our postcounts and "find all posts written by this member" section remain intact? I don't particularly care about postcount, but if all the reviews I wrote are going to vanish, I'd like to save a few of them for my own personal reference. '

Last edited by Perri Lightfoot; January 1st, 2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: because I am blind as a freakin' zubat and somehow missed the Storyline thread in the main forum ^^'
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 558122_DG View Post
yea i realize that but there is one problem....I know my hack won't be in the slums of the scrapbox BUT i think inorder to have it ready by FEB. there will be alot of rush work....

But i guess you make your point, the bottom line is the scrapbox is going whether we like it or not :(
Guess what? If you were actually working on your hack actively you'd have it ready long before February. If you can't even get a basic project before then, you've never really been committed to your hack.

edit: Progressing Hacks fixed. I made an error.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
558122_DG

Quote:
Guess what? If you were actually working on your hack actively you'd have it ready long before February. If you can't even get a basic project before then, you've never really been committed to your hack.

edit: Progressing Hacks fixed. I made an error.

yea but then it wouldn't be as good now would it??? I always thought that the prog hacks section had a high standard seeing as some of the greatest hacks ever are still in there...But then again u do carry a point, that is plenty of time to get it to prog hacks But i still like the scrapbox...

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Zeffy
bowties are cool

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
yea but then it wouldn't be as good now would it??? I always thought that the prog hacks section had a high standard seeing as some of the greatest hacks ever are still in there...But then again u do carry a point, that is plenty of time to get it to prog hacks But i still like the scrapbox...
What are you blabbering about? You've just joined last November and you haven't seen most of the scrapbox. I remember most times during October lots and lots of spam threads in the Scrapbox. Maybe you don't want the scrapbox to go away because your thread is in there? Well, my thread is in there too, you know.

Still, I think that the staff did the right decision.
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
558122_DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelfier View Post

What are you blabbering about? You've just joined last November and you haven't seen most of the scrapbox. I remember most times during October lots and lots of spam threads in the Scrapbox. Maybe you don't want the scrapbox to go away because your thread is in there? Well, my thread is in there too, you know.

Still, I think that the staff did the right decision.

what does the join date gotta do with it?, and yes i have seen alot of the scrapbox....i've skimmed through the first 10 pages many times... And if ur complaining about some random spam that happened in october...how valid is you point? And yes I don't want it to go cause my thread along with a few others are there...and cause I like that section it's the best place to recieve criticism

Old January 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Aww...
I don't want it to go...
. . .
Well, I better save my hack, before it disappears...
Goodbye, Scrapbox...:'(
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
.com
Advanced Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .com
Quote:
It's not a high standard. All you need is a basic story or introduction and like, 4 screenshots. That's really not a lot to ask.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
This is good idea Anthony.
I agree with the posters above and as some of them I have a question where will useful threads (like help ones) go?
Will they be moved just to ROM hacking section instead of its sub-sections?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Live Update King
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via Yahoo to Live Update King
Just time to post this:

Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

I wish it wasn't true. :/

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
558122_DG

ummm, it's not dead YET so y the tombstone? lol

Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Esmas
General

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Esmas
This is great! Ever since the Scrapbox subforum had been made, I knew it wouldn't work out. I mean, at first it was just a couple of small ideas that were actually worth reading, but then all of the threads got out of hand, and now there are a whole bunch of threads that look the same in most aspects. And what happens to all of these hacks? They're quit, abandoned, closed, and live in the depths of the Scrapbox subforum forever.

Thanks for doing this, guys. Best present ever. :3
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
:'(
Goodbye, Scrapbox...

Goodbye, forever, Scrapbox...:'(
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Woohoo now well have noobs who make their hack like this in the progressing hacks! [/sarcasm]

But seriously? I love the idea of taking this junker down. But since it has become a necessity from some here to post ALL their ideas here without any real talent in hacking and have not even started it. The next thing is going to be everyone doing this... THEN they will start a hack, make one (half ass) map and get 4 screens on it. MAYBE elaborate a bit on the story and features. Make 1 or 2 crappy user bars and vwala once more we have these pestering hacks on the site. If so I hope the moderators step up and realize this to not accept some hacks which look like they are going nowhere. If they really are making a well worth hack then why are people so upset of this place going to the dumps.

I say end the scrapbox but step up moderation in thread acceptance!

Thanks for readin mah postzzzz

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Astigma
Beginning Trainer

Um, me and Christos aren't going to delete threads that don't look they're going somewhere. You know why? Because they don't break any rules. That's why!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
well, i guess this is goodbye my dear friend. everyday i always looked forward to come and see what was in here, thee are some really great ideas, and its sad to see them go.
but its your choices not mine.
so i decided that your decision was right, bye scrapbox, we'll miss u.

a month left..

Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Eh, I don't mind so much; the scrapbox was turning into a scrapheap rather than an idea board. =\

Only problem is, all you need is four crappy screenshots and you can infiltrate into the Progressing Hacks zone. Four screens anyone can manage in a matter of minutes. D=
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
Eh, I don't mind so much; the scrapbox was turning into a scrapheap rather than an idea board. =\

Only problem is, all you need is four crappy screenshots and you can infiltrate into the Progressing Hacks zone. Four screens anyone can manage in a matter of minutes. D=
Exactly!
Hence the forth coming of the progressing hacks downfall until we only have rooms for hack which will fall in the realm of the showcase. OK that was a bit extreme but really quality should be another aspect in which threads can make it up to the prog. hacks and showcase. Anyways I just am glad we are finally scrapping the scrapbox!

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

You do realise this is preventable, correct?

That's Our Switch.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
558122_DG

Quote:
WHAT YOU TELL ME NOW!!!! lol i had my mind made up

kk, reasons I want to prevent this from happening:

PC. has always been a inviting site even for newcomers to share their ideas and let them be rated by other more experienced or beginning trainers. This also allows them to organise a team and ect.

If we do not have a scrapbox then most hacks in which the hacker( who cannot script) cannot go anywhere. IE: a spriter and a mapper would be able to change alot...but in the end they would not be able to produce the 5 screenshots of ingame play(which i think you should have some text scripts in there)

If you keep the scrapbox it will save you the time which would otherwise be used on deleting it, recieving MULTIPLE apllications for random hacks trying to get in the prog hacks section, Organising and moving the helpthreads,

If you let the scrapbox go, some really good hacks ie. ash's quest will be deleted along side it

Hacks that are rushing to meet the deadline will most probably seem very rushed when you play em

Cause I'm asking you polietly : Please don't delete the scrapbox

And i like the scrapbox

If you want more PM me and i'll give u

Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Yes, yes we do, but that's not the point.

Sponsored Links