The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
altariaking
Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to altariaking

Advertise here
I agree with 558122_DG, there are a lot of good hacks in there and they will all end up being very rushed and no good, so please, don't shut down the scrapbox.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by altariaking View Post
I agree with 558122_DG, there are a lot of good hacks in there and they will all end up being very rushed and no good, so please, don't shut down the scrapbox.
Name some "pretty good" hacks...
I can deal with ideas from well known hackers whom you can trust more being released from. like Darthratron's thread. But really do you need to post your hack until you have the basics for the progressing hacks? What I can say is take your time and count on quality. This place has diminished that a bit.

Mystic still in work to let you know...
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
558122_DG
Learning how to make mistakes

How about if it was required that the creator of a thread hust have 20 or so comments?

But as ninja caterpie said it's only gonna take at most an hour to provide 5 screens of ingame play... but then wouldn't there be random hacks that are no good crowding the Prog hacks zone? the home of alot of great hacks? Also wouldn't that mean that moderators would have to scan through all that extra stuff??? and possibly all the more spam/off topic/ randomness?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Omega Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 558122_DG View Post
How about if it was required that the creator of a thread hust have 20 or so comments?

But as ninja caterpie said it's only gonna take at most an hour to provide 5 screens of ingame play... but then wouldn't there be random hacks that are no good crowding the Prog hacks zone? the home of alot of great hacks? Also wouldn't that mean that moderators would have to scan through all that extra stuff??? and possibly all the more spam/off topic/ randomness?
I don't really mind the scrapbox closing down either but one thing is sure it'll be hard to find good hacks in progressing hacks again then eventually that place will be shut and they hacks showcase everybody will just get 10 screenshots and like an alpha with a crappy hack and then eventually we probally might have to restart all the other boards but that'll be a long time ahead of us
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Esmas
General

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Esmas
Guy above me is sorta taking things too far, eh?

Quote:
Well, a member must have 15 posts to even post an image (or an external link, but basically the same thing :3), so needing only 20 posts just to create a thread is sort of pointless.

But I do think that there must be quality involved in the confirmation of the hack. I mean, there are some hacks out there, that were accepted into the Progressing Hacks or the Showcase, and you know that the author would eventually have to change the graphics, or edit the maps or the sprites. If moderation was stricter, the author of a hack would have to think twice before leaving something undone.

That's just my two cents. :3
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Zeffy

Send a message via Skype™ to Zeffy
Quote:
WHAT YOU TELL ME NOW!!!! lol i had my mind made up

kk, reasons I want to prevent this from happening:

PC. has always been a inviting site even for newcomers to share their ideas and let them be rated by other more experienced or beginning trainers. This also allows them to organise a team and ect.

If we do not have a scrapbox then most hacks in which the hacker( who cannot script) cannot go anywhere. IE: a spriter and a mapper would be able to change alot...but in the end they would not be able to produce the 5 screenshots of ingame play(which i think you should have some text scripts in there)

If you keep the scrapbox it will save you the time which would otherwise be used on deleting it, recieving MULTIPLE apllications for random hacks trying to get in the prog hacks section, Organising and moving the helpthreads,

If you let the scrapbox go, some really good hacks ie. ash's quest will be deleted along side it

Hacks that are rushing to meet the deadline will most probably seem very rushed when you play em

Cause I'm asking you polietly : Please don't delete the scrapbox

And i like the scrapbox

If you want more PM me and i'll give u
I know what you're trying too say. But, the mods said that the owner of hacks that knows that their thread is ready for Progressing, can PM the mods for them to be able to move their threads to their respective forum. And why do you even bother begging to don't let the scrapbox go? Mostly all of the members agree with this, and as far as I know majority wins. Why even bother? I don't want the scrapbox to go too, but the staff made their mind. You can't stop them, they're the staff.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
558122_DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelfier View Post

I know what you're trying too say. But, the mods said that the owner of hacks that knows that their thread is ready for Progressing, can PM the mods for them to be able to move their threads to their respective forum. And why do you even bother begging to don't let the scrapbox go? Mostly all of the members agree with this, and as far as I know majority wins. Why even bother? I don't want the scrapbox to go too, but the staff made their mind. You can't stop them, they're the staff.
thats what you would think....BUT AnthonyLA said that it is prevokable
which is y i'm begging lol

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony La View Post
You do realise this is preventable, correct?
I wish you wouldn't be so cryptic all the time.

Brother of Vrai
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
558122_DG has some very good points, so do others,

if you get rid of the scrapbox some one can make 4 crappy in-game screens and get into prog. hacks. that'll be the next junk yard.

please don't shut this place down, maybe add another sub-forum for ideas, that dont show much progress?
there's some really great hacks out there, maybe take our idea's into consideration and don't take this place out of our lifes

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:33 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
@countryemo : Maybe then staff will shut down progressing hacks xD xD

@558122_DG : You have some good points about new hackers, but as for enough good threads... I would advise to form group of like... 3-5 hackers who would choose hacks which could be moved to Progressing Hacks (or Hacks Showcase for Ash's Quest since it's complete), not just because they have 4 screenshots but because they are useful and can have future.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
Went
wonderful frog seed

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
To the people predicting that Progressing hacks will be the next junkyard: remember that the mods have to approve the threads there before being displayed. That system alone will kill 99% of the spam. 4 crappy in-games screenshots alone won't be enough to get your hack approved if you don't show a proper storyline, a feature list, and just some work (which only a select few of the threads here showed).
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
Live Update King
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via Yahoo to Live Update King
I added some screenshots to Ash's Quest in hope it will get moved:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...145464&page=23

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
I'll correct myself: we can sufficiently prevent Progressing Hacks from becoming another dump like the scrapbox. This is achievable through rules. However, if you think your hack is of pretty high quality, the Hacks Showcase is the place you should look to get your hack submitted to.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Cello
Tonight!

Nature: Jolly
To be honest it sounds like you're getting yourself into more of a hassle than you're already in.
If you can't tolerate cleaning up the scrapbox then you clearly wont be able to handle the overload of thread submissions towards Progressing Hacks, in which you know is only going to jump ten fold when you really do close the scrapbox.

Not only will threads needing approval jump up but it should be obvious your "spam threads" will only be forwarded to another section that doesn't need a thread to be approved before posting, likely the ROM Hacking section itself.
I can guarantee you'll start seeing "Check out my hack" threads in ROM Hacking.

There is no filtering out the spam because it will always be there. Closing the scrapbox is just a clear excuse to think that you'll have less work to do.

Pity to the new hackers, because they really need a section to start and that's basically what the scrapbox is here for.
I guess there will at least be a hard lesson to learn in it for you guys.

Last edited by Cello; January 3rd, 2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Fixing errors.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:55 AM
Went
wonderful frog seed

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
I remember two years ago, when there was no Scrapbox at all, there was much less spam around the rom-hacking boards and the amount of spam threads in the Hacks Showcase (there was no Progressing Hacks either) was also manageable by the mods.

And the only board where you can post threads without moderation approval is (was) the Scrapbox. Threads in Rom-Hacking or Emulation are moderated as well. Contrary to what you said, this will be a way to filter the spam. Filtering unapproved threads is easier than flitering open threads just floating around a board, because unapproved threads are listed on the ModCP so the mods can check them all at once.

Last edited by Went; January 3rd, 2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Finally, the Scrapbox is gonna be gone.
It's troublesome handling the Scrapbox. >.<

I really never actually saw the real purpose of the Scrapbox, anyway.
So good riddance, I guess?
(Although I need to find a new place for my hack's help thread. =/ )
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Live Update King
Booted out - don't be like me!

Send a message via Yahoo to Live Update King
Some of the hack help threads need to be moved to ROM hacking
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

I'm setting my thumb sideways.

Not down because it IS spam, and I wonder, for the time up until it's closed, are thread revivals and other rule-breaking posts taken into any consideration at all?

And not up because I always had the image of the scrapbox topic makers as writers that still write down their details with a pencil, and Progressing Hacks as the publishing company that views those ideas. Oh well, I guess that people who really work on their hacks do and decide everything on their own up until the point that they qualify for PHacks. I liked that whole thing though, those rough sketches, those pre-fruition ideas (not the spamfest).

Your knight from the plane of light
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
558122_DG

I realize why you think the scrapbox is unnecessary anymore...
But i'm pretty well assured that after this attemp to kill the scrapbox people will take thier posting more seriously, I definitly will. Maybe give it another chance change this into a warning, a last chance kinda thing...

But in heart the scrapbox is just part of PC, so here are a few more reasons why we should keep it open:

If the scrapbox is kept open then people will be able to broadcast thier hack BEFORE moving it into a more respected section, it also allows them to see whether or not thier hack idea/hack will be successfull or popular at all... I.E. take one of my older unsuccessfull hacks for example....Clear Steam(i know the name is lame....), Apparently my idea was common and there were many like it in PC not to mention that it was exactly like teh first few episodes of pokemon... thus i learned and tried to diferenciate the story more

It's a great place to test your skills and compete against other hacks, to see which one get the most attention and more importantly to measure how you stand up to other hacks that are already there.

the scrapbox is classic, you can't have a middle and end without a begginging, it doesn't look or sound right...

this is not really a reason but it's a theory that can maybe proove to be successful... Inorder to get into the scrapbox you must have 20 comments, worked on another hack for any positioin and have one screenshot...

i think that will delete ALOT of spam...as this way the hackers can get a bit of experience before starting their own hack, and it's not like they just joined and posted a random thread, and the screenshot shows that this is not just an idea it has actually been started.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

Maybe you could keep the scrapbox, but put some requirements for the hacks/help threads.
This will also change some progressing hack rules too.

Possible new Scrapbox rules:
Have Storyline and Features
Have at least 1 screenshot/map
Have a demo

Possible new Progressing Hack rule:
Have a alpha/beta

Please don't shut down the scrapbox! Some people like me want to see if their hacks will work, or will have good popularity/support.

If you MUST shut down the scrapbox, you could have a Scrapbox Thread in the Rom Hacking Section. It would serve the same purpose of the scrapbox, but be just a thread.

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichu_is_Awesome View Post
Maybe you could keep the scrapbox, but put some requirements for the hacks/help threads.

Have a demo

Possible new Progressing Hack rule:
Have a alpha/beta

Please don't shut down the scrapbox! Some people like me want to see if their hacks will work, or will have good popularity/support.

If you MUST shut down the scrapbox, you could have a Scrapbox Thread in the Rom Hacking Section. It would serve the same purpose of the scrapbox, but be just a thread.

The mods have probably thought this to be best (I want new rules too, I love the Scrapbox), so... We cannot change their minds.

As for your thread idea, that will get WAY too big, and doesn't help get criticism for hacks as much as a Sub forum, as it will be harder to reply, and people can report their hack again and again... As well as SPAM of requests, solving nothing.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Team Rocket's Raichu
Bye-Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

The mods have probably thought this to be best (I want new rules too, I love the Scrapbox), so... We cannot change their minds.

As for your thread idea, that will get WAY too big, and doesn't help get criticism for hacks as much as a Sub forum, as it will be harder to reply, and people can report their hack again and again... As well as SPAM of requests, solving nothing.
The only reason I'm trying to keep the scrapbox is because of this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony La View Post
You do realise this is preventable, correct?

I'm a supermod of that forum.

I've left, bye PC.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote:
The only reason I'm trying to keep the scrapbox is because of this post:
But why even think about closing it? They may have thought of these, and some of the ideas suggested about a single thread have many flaws. I agree about Approval needed for the Scrapbox, but the mods will be getting requests none-stop for pointless things... but the Progressing Hacks may also by closing it down. Interesting, in order to make a choice, you need to weigh all possibilities, but that can only be done by guessing on the noobs, and their... Unreliable behaviour. Basically, if less noobs spammed in the first place, Scrapbox would be here indefinite, but if more come and spam the Progressing Hacks Mod Approval box, it may come back soon, through demand. Interesting, isn't it?

(I am in no way saying SPAM mods to get the Scrapbox to come back. If you think i said that, you are an idiot)

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
chrunch

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
Quote:

Have a demo
I agree with with the first two rules, but not the last one.
you don't need a demo, if you got proof you're working on it(1 screenie/map).
those two rules would get rid of alot of the SPAM.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
The Cynic
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥

Nature: Quirky
Totally outraged by this!!!

Hacks like Metallic Ice and my hack Sands of Time have dedicated followers! I certainly will not give up on my hack whatsoever!!! I needed help and without the scrapbox it would have been deleted as without that help it wouldn't be good enough for progressing hacks!!!

I hope Sands of Time can be moved to Progressing Hacks. I've PMed Antony La about requesting a move. I am dedicated to my hacks completion, I don't just give up on things. It is unfair to punish those who work so hard simply because of some poeple's laziness. And it might not even be laziness, some people may see major changes in their life that means they cannot continue working so hard. I think the solution is to give the scrapbox stricter rules but not to abolish it completely! The people in my hack's team have worked incredibly hard and you can see the evidence in the thread!

I just hope it can be moved to Progressing Hacks...

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here