The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
The only ludicrous part of this is that you actually want to do this. My ideas as well as others are completely legitimate yet you ignore them. It seems that you have a hatred for something that could be really useful. Instead of rug reasonable you just shut down and ignore all the other ideas. To be honest it looks like the staff is arrogant. He scrapbox is a great place because people that are new to hacking can gain experience and get advice. True almost all hacks in there go nowhere but that's part of the learning process. Kids aren't deprived of their learning opportunity in school if they make a mistake or do somethign wrong so why are you doing that here? If you don't feel like helping them then leave it to the people that want to help. So many of you complain about the current hacking worlds condition but then reject any chance to fix it. Anyone behind he closure is a hypocrit because they are worsening he situation that they want improved.
This isn't a ploy to remove "good ideas". I have no idea why you'd interpret this as one such.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Flashpoint
→ P e r s i s t e n c e

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Flashpoint Send a message via Skype™ to Flashpoint
This is somewhat of a bummer, but it is a good idea, Thanks.

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
.light
Airplanes in the night sky...

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post
Hmm... I'm against this, but what's done is done. Despite all the SPAM and things like that, there are some gems there. So... It gets rid of the SPAM I guess... Despite some good ideas in there, but the amount of SPAM and abandoned things outweigh the gems... Shame really. No-one to blame really but the SPAMers and the hackers who created the request threads.
And dont forget the ones who make the help walkthroughs

Come and visit my awesomely awesome trade thread, leave a message too =D
tradethread <-- go here, click on link

Old January 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens

Nature: Modest
yay!!~~ good thing I copypasta my thread on my forum so it wont get delete. Good job staff! I saw my fair share of "hur this is my idea it remake" and other stuff. I hope the new hackers c an learn not to be lazy and actually work until they can make a thread.
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony La View Post
This isn't a ploy to remove "good ideas". I have no idea why you'd interpret this as one such.
That isn't how I interpreted it. I see it as the staff taking the easy way out instead of solving the problem.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:07 PM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Quote:
That isn't how I interpreted it. I see it as the staff taking the easy way out instead of solving the problem.
How is this the easy way out? Really this was the only option no matter what is said. So much of what is here is utter crap! I mean really how can half of these be considered good ideas >.>. In all realty it is a curtain where noobs can post half ass ideas and have their own community within a community. So many users active in here barely shed light in the other sections and they need to get a taste of real hacking.
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Omega Zero
Is back...

Send a message via Skype™ to Omega Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Teh Panda~ View Post
How is this the easy way out? Really this was the only option no matter what is said. So much of what is here is utter crap! I mean really how can half of these be considered good ideas >.>. In all realty it is a curtain where noobs can post half ass ideas and have their own community within a community. So many users active in here barely shed light in the other sections and they need to get a taste of real hacking.
I agree the scrapbox is utter crap according to the threads as well seriously 2,515 Threads. the scrapbox has to go now that i think about it but the problem is that. Progressing hacks Will need to Step up and make it harder for your hacks to be approved cause you could have crappy hacks in it with crap screenshots and stuff
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainui View Post

I agree the scrapbox is utter crap according to the threads as well seriously 2,515 Threads. the scrapbox has to go now that i think about it but the problem is that. Progressing hacks Will need to Step up and make it harder for your hacks to be approved cause you could have crappy hacks in it with crap screenshots and stuff
Yes, and Anthony La posted earlier that is preventable. The mods due take their job seriously and if this were to happen someone would bring it to attention and solve the issue
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote:
So what would you consider solving the problem?
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Shinx
it's a mad world

We're not taking the easy way out, not at all. We've been moderating the scrapbox for nearly a year, if we were taking the easy way out we would've done it way earlier, right?
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Omega Zero
Is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
We're not taking the easy way out, not at all. We've been moderating the scrapbox for nearly a year, if we were taking the easy way out we would've done it way earlier, right?
Yea i think they have been moderating it for a year Locking up the Threads that Don't have any storyline or features or stuff like this
I am thinking of a hack that has D/P pokemon in it i will need a scripter Etc

Thats why the Scrapbox is full of scrap but Not all of it is

Not all of scrapbox is bad some of it is good But Some aren't good at all

Old January 11th, 2010, 03:08 AM
558122_DG
Learning how to make mistakes

Quote:

Yea i think they have been moderating it for a year Locking up the Threads that Don't have any storyline or features or stuff like this
I am thinking of a hack that has D/P pokemon in it i will need a scripter Etc

Thats why the Scrapbox is full of scrap but Not all of it is

Not all of scrapbox is bad some of it is good But Some aren't good at all

your just saying that cause you got your thread to prog hacks now...
Back when it was in the scrapbox i believe you were fighting against the idea?
yes i know i am resisting only cause my thread is in the scrapbox, and yes it qualifies to be moved(according to the rules), but i'm gonna leave it there for a while longer

@con- It may seem like the easy way out, but the scrapbox, according to them, it has lost its purpose, thus there is no need to have it anymore. But a solution could be to have a moderator aprove the thread first. and maybe bout 15 posts needed to make one, that'll kill most of the spam.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by 558122_DG; January 11th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

@ Ninja Caterpie- see my other posts.
@ The Doctor- if you have been moderating here then how did the problem continue to grow?
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Shinx
it's a mad world

Members to mod ratio, try counting it.
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Quote:
@ The Doctor- if you have been moderating here then how did the problem continue to grow?
I think I can answer that: because the amount of spam is so high that regular moderating can't control it. Kind of what happened in the Battle Stadium with the battle clans. What did we do? We banned the clans and the spam died, yet people kept fighting and having their own, mod-controlled tournaments.

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014

Last edited by Went; January 11th, 2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
The scrapbox is... Ergh, I'll hate saying this... Unmoderatable, from what I have seen, due to all the constant SPAM. IF idiots didn't keep posting stupid requests, or SPAM, then perhaps there would be an idea to save it, but... Now I think about it, there is 1 thing you could have tried - Approval Only for Scrapbox. True it will mean more threads need approving, but less SPAM, and the same idiots who broke the rules will probably do the same for Progressing Hacks.

BUT now I think about it, you probably considered it (but nice if you had at least tried it before, but there are more cons than pros... You made your choice)

So... The problem is rule breaking, which... May occur more elsewhere.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Ray Maverick
You. Yes, YOU! You are DEAD!

Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Maverick
I don't think this thread has a purpose anymore, seeing as people repeat the same things in their posts. XD
Okay, i understand people feel the urge to post their opinion, but they're just doing nothing by saying "The Scrapbox is full of crap and SPAM, so it deserves to deleted, and we'll all be happy to see it gone".
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Quote:
The scrapbox is... Ergh, I'll hate saying this... Unmoderatable, from what I have seen, due to all the constant SPAM. IF idiots didn't keep posting stupid requests, or SPAM, then perhaps there would be an idea to save it, but... Now I think about it, there is 1 thing you could have tried - Approval Only for Scrapbox. True it will mean more threads need approving, but less SPAM, and the same idiots who broke the rules will probably do the same for Progressing Hacks.

BUT now I think about it, you probably considered it (but nice if you had at least tried it before, but there are more cons than pros... You made your choice)

That's a good idea. The removal is only going to take the spam threads and move them elsewhere ( the ones that will be created not the pre-existing ones). The closed mindedness that people are showing is a bit depressing, I must say.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Shinx
it's a mad world

I think your closed mind is depressing, gurl~
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Andrew McKenzie
Meh.

Indeed, closing and phasing out the Scrapbox section could possibly, but only temporarily get rid of the spam, but wouldn't they really just start spamming elsewhere more than usual then?

I dunno... It's your forum, you're the staff, so whatever you guys think is best for the forum probably is, and I won't interfere or go against that.

Most of the scrapbox threads contained mostly the same hack ideas anyway.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote:

I think a closed forum is depressing, gurl~

Anyway... It will have already all been considered, at least apparently, so... Well, SPAM in other places may increase more, at least to mods due to Approval being needed, perhaps more than if the Scrapbox had one. I would suggest a trial period for an Approval only on the Scrapbox, but there would be little point, as you made your minds up... Can't hurt to try though... But probably can. Pros and cons of both situations are... Kinda annoying to weigh up.

That is my suggestion, and rubbish either way. Just seems a shame an area that benefits a lot of people is being closed for stupid idiots who SPAM and request...

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
558122_DG

Quote:

Thats a great solution (although i believed i already mentioned it.) Making approval before posting the thread will reduce spam. It will get rid of ALOT of threads that don't meet the requirements of the scrapbox I.E: Some hacks are closed because they don't contain a storyline/features list/or other info

True, if you were deleting the scrapbox because u think it's the source of spam, then might as well delete posting seeing as thats the true source of spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
I don't think this thread has a purpose anymore, seeing as people repeat the same things in their posts. XD
Okay, i understand people feel the urge to post their opinion, but they're just doing nothing by saying "The Scrapbox is full of crap and SPAM, so it deserves to deleted, and we'll all be happy to see it gone".
yes that seems to be the only reason thats ever put out against the scrapbox SPAM. Well read above and you see what needs to be done to really counter the spam.

Quote:
I think his mind is actually open unlike a few people. and the "gurl" was unnecessary.

Quote:

I think a closed forum is depressing, gurl~

Anyway... It will have already all been considered, at least apparently, so... Well, SPAM in other places may increase more, at least to mods due to Approval being needed, perhaps more than if the Scrapbox had one. I would suggest a trial period for an Approval only on the Scrapbox, but there would be little point, as you made your minds up... Can't hurt to try though... But probably can. Pros and cons of both situations are... Kinda annoying to weigh up.

That is my suggestion, and rubbish either way. Just seems a shame an area that benefits a lot of people is being closed for stupid idiots who SPAM and request...
but wouldn't the infinite amount of random requests be deleted if u required approval? And as for spamming wouldn't an increase on the amountof words per post delete that? Most spam is short and spammers won't take the initiative to type more unless they are dull...

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Omega Zero
Is back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 558122_DG View Post
your just saying that cause you got your thread to prog hacks now...
Back when it was in the scrapbox i believe you were fighting against the idea?
yes i know i am resisting only cause my thread is in the scrapbox, and yes it qualifies to be moved(according to the rules), but i'm gonna leave it there for a while longer

@con- It may seem like the easy way out, but the scrapbox, according to them, it has lost its purpose, thus there is no need to have it anymore. But a solution could be to have a moderator aprove the thread first. and maybe bout 15 posts needed to make one, that'll kill most of the spam.
I didn't say that cause i got it to the Progressing hacks :\ the scrapbox has to many well.... crap. or scrap.. have you seen how many threads there have been and now are dead.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Quote:

I didn't say that cause i got it to the Progressing hacks :\ the scrapbox has to many well.... crap. or scrap.. have you seen how many threads there have been and now are dead.
Well you may think the hacks are crap but the creator likes the idea. The point of hacking is for the hackers enjoyment, not to please the masses. So as long as the hackers enjoy it then who cares what we think? And the dead threads can be useful for the creator. If the hacker looks at what went wrong and tries to improve then the dead thread is actually a success. In my opinion the only problem is the spam, which could be put to an end.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:25 PM
558122_DG

Quote:
Well you may think the hacks are crap but the creator likes the idea. The point of hacking is for the hackers enjoyment, not to please the masses. So as long as the hackers enjoy it then who cares what we think? And the dead threads can be useful for the creator. If the hacker looks at what went wrong and tries to improve then the dead thread is actually a success. In my opinion the only problem is the spam, which could be put to an end.
100% exact. The point of a hack is so the hacker can enjoy it. At least so said a good friend of mine and so i believe.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links