Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Tournaments Joined: 0
Tournaments Won: 0

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimayBee View Post
This looks amazing, love how you made her walk all the time.

Did you use ASM for this then? x
Yeah, this uses ASM to write directly to the pre-OAM storage area, forcing the sprite to walk onto the tile which the player has just left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
Oh. I posted before viewing the video, this is getting really awesome! Are you going to release the data for this when it has been perfected? and if so how, like a patch or something?

p.s Is that a Genesect cry at about 30 second 0.o?
Yes, that is indeed a Genesect cry at 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapod23 View Post
Very awesome. Just wanted to say great work.
It would be a great present if the code was ever released to the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Awesome, plain awesomeness... =)
Just like the posters above I'd really love to see this feature in a patch so we could use it in our hacks :D
I'll release the code if and when I deem it to be ready for use.
That video shows the working aspects of the routines, but there are still plenty of things which won't work yet as well. Warping is a HUGE problem related to this.
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:05 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
One thing to consider is that once you've done this first step. Possibly some advanced code to imitate HG/SS If you can do it for two pokemon you can do it for 100 its just the space required. I assume that the 'follower' is determined by an offset? So you could be like "if charmander is 1st in party use this offset, if bulbasaur etc."
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
One thing to consider is that once you've done this first step. Possibly some advanced code to imitate HG/SS If you can do it for two pokemon you can do it for 100 its just the space required. I assume that the 'follower' is determined by an offset? So you could be like "if charmander is 1st in party use this offset, if bulbasaur etc."
Actually, if you wanted to imitate HGSS, you would just make the following sprite dynamic based on what Pokemon is top of your party.
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Nature: Relaxed
this may sound dumb, but i know there is a way to write an asm code to change a sprites clothing to the same clothing that the NPC is wearing.

Example:

cant you re-modify that code to make the ow follow the player? it sounds farfetched (no pun intended) but its worth a shot... so what do you guys think?

3DS FC: 4184-2489-6268 (Pokemon Y)
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCyndaquil View Post
this may sound dumb, but i know there is a way to write an asm code to change a sprites clothing to the same clothing that the NPC is wearing.

Example:

cant you re-modify that code to make the ow follow the player? it sounds farfetched (no pun intended) but its worth a shot... so what do you guys think?
Now Im no ASM expert so anyone can correct me if Im wrong, but that is a totally different concept. All its doing is switching what the OW looks like that the player controls. In theory, you could modify any code to make an OW follow the player, but Jambo looks pretty far along, and you can see he has made enough progress to be followed, so why make a new code?
I laugh looking at this.

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster View Post
Now Im no ASM expert so anyone can correct me if Im wrong, but that is a totally different concept. All its doing is switching what the OW looks like that the player controls. In theory, you could modify any code to make an OW follow the player, but Jambo looks pretty far along, and you can see he has made enough progress to be followed, so why make a new code?
jambo said himself (i asked him on msn) that he still has a good amount of work to do before he finishes it, and its not exactly a new code, a modified one, ehhh but i guess your right about it not making sense i was just trying to help lol, i dont much about asm myself.

Old July 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

This may sound like an often repeated intro that many people say when starting off their ideas, but what will the following overworld do when you in the middle of a script. For instance, if I make a script that makes the player step forward one tile, will I also have to add in another applymovement for the following overworld so they are still in sync, or will it do that automatically?
Coming soon...
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
This may sound like an often repeated intro that many people say when starting off their ideas, but what will the following overworld do when you in the middle of a script. For instance, if I make a script that makes the player step forward one tile, will I also have to add in another applymovement for the following overworld so they are still in sync, or will it do that automatically?
With my system, it SHOULD move, as normal, since it's based on the pixel movement of the player's sprite, rather than button presses.
Don't quote me on that though, as I haven't tested it.
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Can you interact with the NPC in your method Jambo? :\ With the way you've done it, it seems like you'll need to add another routine somewhere to make it seem as though interaction works.
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Can you interact with the NPC in your method Jambo? :\ With the way you've done it, it seems like you'll need to add another routine somewhere to make it seem as though interaction works.
Yeah, it's possible to interact with NPC's in my version. I tried to show that in my videos, IIRC.

I showed in the first 2 certainly, that normal NPC interaction worked, and so did tile scripts.

EDIT: Wait, I see now that you meant the following NPC. Yes, I can interact with it.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Yeah, it's possible to interact with NPC's in my version. I tried to show that in my videos, IIRC.

I showed in the first 2 certainly, that normal NPC interaction worked, and so did tile scripts.

EDIT: Wait, I see now that you meant the following NPC. Yes, I can interact with it.
did you test for fadescreen and healingspot? it seems that my be difficult to accomplish

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
gggggggggggggggggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCyndaquil View Post

Example:

That's not how you spell shop?
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

I tested many things related to mine.

Saving, quitting and restarting: Check
Map to map connections: Check
Walking: Check
Running: Check
Ledges: Check
Tile Scripts: Check
Trainer and Wild battles: Check
Warping: Not working
Biking: Not working
Surfing: Not working
Flying (Kind of warping here...): Not working
Scripts moving the player: No idea XD

I have ideas for biking and surfing, but haven't really got any idea whatsoever how I can accomplish the warping. Obviously, the sprite should appear from the tile which you were warped to after you move from it, but until I find the routine which creates the player sprite in the RAM and OAM, I can't look any further into this. As far as I know, the entire map is reloaded on warping, even if you warp to the same map that you were already on. So that could be a small blessing.

Last edited by Jambo51; July 24th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Roboto-kun
is an Ace Trainer.

Nature: Jolly
Are you ever going to release the codes? I mean, it's ok if you don't but, I'm just wondering.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto-kun View Post
Are you ever going to release the codes? I mean, it's ok if you don't but, I'm just wondering.
Quote:
I'll release the code if and when I deem it to be ready for use.
That video shows the working aspects of the routines, but there are still plenty of things which won't work yet as well. Warping is a HUGE problem related to this.
I think that's an adequate answer! Lol.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:02 AM
KNC
Hacker

Nature: Careful
Wondering how far you got with this script so far? I'm considering doing a hack but I'd need to get a specific pokemon to follow me for story purposes.

I'd also have an idea on how to possibly deal with the warp problem, I wouldn't know wether it could possibly work though, since you haven't published anything that explains how it works, or what part of warping is such an big problem.

But given you have an routine that draws sprites upon walking and letting them follow you, wouldn't it be possible to include a flag on wether there is currently a pokemon following you, and when it is, to simply always create the sprite when you move? That way the sprite wouldn't appear the moment you entered the house but rather the moment you take your first step inside. Like when your follower still stands outside, because you block the way, and waits for you to move a step.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNC View Post
But given you have an routine that draws sprites upon walking and letting them follow you, wouldn't it be possible to include a flag on wether there is currently a pokemon following you, and when it is, to simply always create the sprite when you move? That way the sprite wouldn't appear the moment you entered the house but rather the moment you take your first step inside. Like when your follower still stands outside, because you block the way, and waits for you to move a step.
THAT... sounds like it could work. But what about map connections?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:15 AM
KNC
Hacker

Quote:
I tested many things related to mine.

I have ideas for biking and surfing, but haven't really got any idea whatsoever how I can accomplish the warping. Obviously, the sprite should appear from the tile which you were warped to after you move from it, but until I find the routine which creates the player sprite in the RAM and OAM, I can't look any further into this. As far as I know, the entire map is reloaded on warping, even if you warp to the same map that you were already on. So that could be a small blessing.
Hence it seems like map connections already work like they are supposed to. I also know that my idea definitely can work. Still as long as only Jambo51 has the code it's up to him to know wether it fits within his solution.

Well damn it'd certainly be easier if not everyone who tries to make this keeps his code for himself after all when it's supposed to be released afterwards anyways. If at least others could join in on the work instead of just watching or starting from scratch themselves...

Last edited by KNC; August 25th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Well damn it'd certainly be easier if not everyone who tries to make this keeps his code for himself after all when it's supposed to be released afterwards anyways. If at least others could join in on the work instead of just watching or starting from scratch themselves...
JEEZ! It couldn't possibly be that i've been unwell, busy working or sorting out my University stuff. No, it must be that I've decided to be a d**k and keep the code to myself.

Also, if I decided to keep the code to myself, I'd be well within my rights to do so. It's my perogative. There's no rule explicitly stating that I must post every single discovery I make! Just remember that!

However, I'm not an elitist snob. I only got where I am now by reading other people's discoveries and understanding how they were made. So I CHOOSE to post discovered information when I discover it for the benefit of the whole community.

In all fairness though, I've not really worked on the routines for a while now. They're not finished, and as I stated above, when they're finished, I'll release them. Not before.
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM
knizz

Quote:
Do you have any idea what the work in progress of a patch like that looks like? I doubt anyone could help. And those who do exchange their knowledge already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNC
I'd need to get a specific pokemon to follow me for story purposes.
that will certainly make you special.

Seriously... why do people hack pokemon for the STORY...
Firered IDA 6.1 DB: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvvmxxoo1dkmdzc/firered.idb
VBA-M with lua scripting support (no longer in development)
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
KNC
Hacker

Quote:
JEEZ! It couldn't possibly be that i've been unwell, busy working or sorting out my University stuff. No, it must be that I've decided to be a d**k and keep the code to myself.

Also, if I decided to keep the code to myself, I'd be well within my rights to do so. It's my perogative. There's no rule explicitly stating that I must post every single discovery I make! Just remember that!
Jeez, I wasn't pointing at anyone calling them a d**k...

That's not what I said and I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I'm honestly sorry if it came over like that.

I was rather pointing at the fact this thread is around for more than a year and that while reading through it I noticed quite a few people talking about going on their own approach, with sorta everyone ending at a different point, which seems to be a rather sad end for a patch project that's been dragging on for so long.
Again, sorry if it came over as harsh and offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knizz View Post
Do you have any idea what the work in progress of a patch like that looks like? I doubt anyone could help. And those who do exchange their knowledge already.
I do know pretty good that it's a great workload doing such a patch since I'm getting myself into several other languages besides scripting. As such I totally don't want to make down the work of anyone there.
Also the chance that someone else has that one fitting idea might not be big but it isn't zero either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knizz View Post
Seriously... why do people hack pokemon for the STORY...
Well I think that the supplied story of a game should be either sort of good or non-existent if it's solely about gameplay. And one of the weaknesses of pokemon is that it always includes a half-brewed story (only talking about the editions) that barely contributes for anything. So I'd either remove it completely or give it a try at making the story worthwhile.
Well that's just my personal opinion there.
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Right, that's a little argument settled, then. On-topic from here, please! :)

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
I don't know if it has already been suggested, and it might be a bit of work, but if when you get it to work, you could use a dynamic offset to say which ever pokemon is at the top of your party the sprite could be recalled etc etc. Creating a HGSS Effect. Suggestions?

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
KNC
Hacker

Quote:
I don't know if it has already been suggested, and it might be a bit of work, but if when you get it to work, you could use a dynamic offset to say which ever pokemon is at the top of your party the sprite could be recalled etc etc. Creating a HGSS Effect. Suggestions?
Taking a look at this list I don't quite think that's necessery, I'm just quoting it again:
Quote:
So Ideas should go about the things not marked with an check, namely Warping/Biking/Flying and the Scripts.

For warping I posted my idea already a few posts above.

For biking, well that depends on what you'd want to achieve...
1: Just pretend you take the pokemon back into their ball, nothing big to do for this necessery I guess. But then again depends on what approach you take on the script.
2: Pokemon follows your bike... well for some pokemon which are fast that'd work, but it'd be strange to have pokemon not as fast follow you. Then it'd be the same approach as basic walking given you can identify the current state.
3: Optionally you can have the pokemon on the back of the back, right behind you. That would just work again with a few specific pokemon though. So I wouldn't basically integrate this approach as well as the one above. This could simply be achieved through editing the sprites though, given of course you have only one specific pokemon following you.

For flying... well though it is sorta warping I don't quite think my idea is the perfect fit. Given the space below you is always free open ariving at one spot I guess you could edit the ariving points for flying since there aren't that much around, and let the pokemon pop up below after landing.

Quote:
I don't quite get the meaning of this part though. I assume you're talking about the scripts that are checking the buttons and applying movement I guess though?
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
I don't quite get the meaning of this part though. I assume you're talking about the scripts that are checking the buttons and applying movement I guess though?
nope.avi

He's referring to applymovement, applymovementpos, waitmovement, and waitmovementpos. And possibly also movesprite and some others.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here