The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old January 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
D4Ni3L
Beginning Trainer

Hello, i've been looking for a way to change songs in diamond for a LONG time and recently i found out how to do it. But its not very accurate.

Programs Needed

My Research so far
Well I opened a couple of roms with Nitro Explorer 2 and found out the sound data file which is mostly ".sdat" and they cotain the music files which are in folders based on what type they are. They can be found in Data/Sound/sound_data.sdat in a pokemon diamond rom. for other roms they have a similar name.
The folders that can be found in "sound_data.sdat" are "Bank" which contains files that are ".sbnk" and there's a "Sequence" folder that has ".sseq" files and there's the "Wave Archive" which has ".swar" files in it. "sbnk" & ".swar" files seem to have the notes and the digital instruments for the songs. i assume that they have to be replaced too if you want the song to work correctly. Because i tried it and the battle song sounded very glitchy. Now that i'm done with the facts lemme show you how to use them:
With crystal tile 2 i opened a kirby squeek squad rom and then exported a .sseq file (side note: the songs you want to put in your game must be smaller or equall to the original one, NOT bigger) and saved it as "SEQ_BA_POKE.sseq" which is the music for wild pokemon battles. Then i opened pokemon Diamond's "sound_data.sdat" and imported the saved ".sseq" from kirby to pokemon diamond, and then saved it. As i said before it sounded very glitchy but there's still hope as long as the connections between the ".sbnk" & ".swar" files with ".sseq" can be found and the mystery behind which ".sbnk" & ".swar" files to replace can be solved.
If anyone knows how to continue, please contribute to this thread. Thank you.

Edit: Thanks to Jhauk for finding this page containing information about music hacking for NSMB which is similar to D/P

Last edited by D4Ni3L; April 2nd, 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Great Mazinger
nope.avi

Presumably, the track sounding strange can be partly blamed on the the two games storing instruments in different places in the Sound Bank/Wave Archive files.

Diamond, Pearl and Platinum generally follow the General MIDI standard (with some exceptions), so that a track in the song set to instrument number 57 would make a trumpet sound. In Kirby Squeak Squad, the trumpet instrument is found at patch number 13 instead.
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Iacobus
sǝɯɐɾ

You should take a look at this (Documentation by kiwi.ds on the sdat format + a SSEQ2MIDI and MIDI2SSEQ converter).
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Great Mazinger
nope.avi

So, I did a quick test. Grabbed a MIDI, changed the instrument patches to match up with the game's instrument bank, converted it to SSEQ and imported it.

The instruments themselves were fine, but the track was glitchy and jumpy. I don't know if this is the fault of the MIDI -> SSEQ conversion process, the method of SSEQ insertion or what.

e: Well, I copied a SSEQ file directly from Legacy Of Ys: Books 1 & 2 to Platinum (they both use General MIDI instrument patches) and it sounded fine.

Last edited by Great Mazinger; January 27th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Umbreonic Aura
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mazinger View Post
So, I did a quick test. Grabbed a MIDI, changed the instrument patches to match up with the game's instrument bank, converted it to SSEQ and imported it.

The instruments themselves were fine, but the track was glitchy and jumpy. I don't know if this is the fault of the MIDI -> SSEQ conversion process, the method of SSEQ insertion or what.

e: Well, I copied a SSEQ file directly from Legacy Of Ys: Books 1 & 2 to Platinum (they both use General MIDI instrument patches) and it sounded fine.
That means it is most likely the conversion,
Or the Midi was not patched properly?
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Great Mazinger
nope.avi

I'd bet it being something to do with the MIDI file or the converter.

This is how it sounded when i swapped SSEQ files, and then the result of trying to convert a MIDI to SSEQ.
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:52 AM
alice123
Beginning Trainer

I like it and enjoy its o much.so good and cool site.
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I did this using a hex editor;

and

Just copied the hex data and overwrote songs that were in the game. Loop data and all. Let me know if the videos don't play.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world

Last edited by Team Fail; January 22nd, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Ketwes
Pokémon Master Trevor

The videos don't play. How exactly did you overwrite the data? I mean, using HexWorkshop or CristalTyle or what?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketwes View Post
The videos don't play. How exactly did you overwrite the data? I mean, using HexWorkshop or CristalTyle or what?
I did it using VGMTrans and HxD, and Crystal Tile as well. I have repaired the videos.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ketwes
Pokémon Master Trevor

That's pretty cool. The songs I mean, would you mind making/posting a tutorial on how to do this? It seems like something I'd be interested in.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketwes View Post
That's pretty cool. The songs I mean, would you mind making/posting a tutorial on how to do this? It seems like something I'd be interested in.
What? The ones above or ones that are completely custom?

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online

Old February 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
ChimeraReiax
Beginning Trainer

Heh, hexing in music... I did the same exact thing with Black and White, except I ported over HGSS' battle music to BW. It sounded... very unfavorable. So in FL studio I tried modifying the tracks so they'll use the same instruments as BW's instruments (all I did was change the patch number shifting events). Then I remembered that when I convert a midi to a .sseq it doesn't get any looping, so I thought "Hey, why don't I just copy the song track by track and place them over the original .sseq's tracks?" (the original being the hexed-in HGSS wild battle now in BW). Well, that didn't work. At all. It made a whole other track doing who knows what, and it makes this weird low buzzing sound. On top of that, I compared the .sseq exported (and fixed manually using the methods Team Fail put in his guide) with HGSS' original .SSEQ, and there are stark differences in the tracks. Seriously, there's a bunch of random values thrown in that weren't suppose to be there before :/

If it'll help anyone, I can show a little comparison image I took (actually no I can't because I need to make more posts apparently... ; will show if/when I do)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links