The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:04 AM
knizz

Nice find. Also congratulations on your first post.
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:40 AM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Nature: Careful
Hello,
I'm trying to run an item's asm, from within a script using callasm. At 080A1D9D is the ask for the VS SEEKER. i would like to run that but as i'm not in the bag it will run the bag close routine which results in a fade screen.

Hope i can ask this here,
Thanks
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to run an item's asm, from within a script using callasm. At 080A1D9D is the ask for the VS SEEKER. i would like to run that but as i'm not in the bag it will run the bag close routine which results in a fade screen.

Hope i can ask this here,
Thanks
Try running it from 080A1DF4+1. This bypasses most of the checks (like "Now isn't the time to use that...") but I don't think it work correctly since the routine seems to have at least one parameter (in R0.)
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Try running it from 080A1DF4+1. This bypasses most of the checks (like "Now isn't the time to use that...") but I don't think it work correctly since the routine seems to have at least one parameter (in R0.)
Thanks for the help, but it went straight to the fadescreen again.
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
gggggggggggggggggg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzj-6IvCoI
I can do it! :p
- But I can't post videos with these youtube thingys
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:33 AM
tinix
PearlShipper & C Programmer

Hello everybody,
Recently I have been experimenting with C, trying to compile working code for Pokemon ROMs, because I find ASM very messy and I cant get the grip of it.
I chosen C because there is available compiler for GBA/ARM and because I am
familiar with it.
After a while of experimenting, messing with compiler flags and pointers, I have managed to successfully compile, insert and test a function that returned lowest level of your party Pokémon, and a function that jumped/branched into (standard) ASM routine. This process has a few drawbacks, mainly that resulting binary code is larger.

In attachment you will find C files along with instructions how to compile them (Code is set up for FIRE RED!). If you have any issues with compiling PM me and i will try to help you.

I want to know your opinion on this subject as whole.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CPKMN.zip‎ (717.9 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Pokémon HeartGold Version

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
-Started by SkittyLover77

Old August 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
@Above - C seems a bit overkill for this. By judging on the size of the file, you didn't optimize the output or anything, which makes for a HUGE output, when you probably could have accomplished the same thing in a smaller routine. :\
On the other hand, congrats on getting it all to work properly. (:

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
I'm not entirely sure the best place to post ideas like this is, but this seems to be close enough.

I have no clue how feasible this is, but it was just an idea I had, and since I really don't hack anymore, I thought I'd post it, and see if anyone might want to try it.

The idea is that you would be able to only use a single pokemon throughout the game, but on every level up it would evolve (no b cancel allowed) into a completely random pokemon. It could go from caterpie to mewtwo at level 6, and then from mewtwo to magikarp at level 7. Completely random. It would also attempt to learn a completely random move from the new pokemon's list of moves learnable by level up.

Just an interesting gimmick that I'd like try, if anyone wants to incorporate it into a hack. Maybe even just a mod of firered/ruby, if nothing else.

(Now that I think about it, this is basically gungame, but with pokemon, haha.)
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old August 10th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
I'm not entirely sure the best place to post ideas like this is, but this seems to be close enough.

I have no clue how feasible this is, but it was just an idea I had, and since I really don't hack anymore, I thought I'd post it, and see if anyone might want to try it.

The idea is that you would be able to only use a single pokemon throughout the game, but on every level up it would evolve (no b cancel allowed) into a completely random pokemon. It could go from caterpie to mewtwo at level 6, and then from mewtwo to magikarp at level 7. Completely random. It would also attempt to learn a completely random move from the new pokemon's list of moves learnable by level up.

Just an interesting gimmick that I'd like try, if anyone wants to incorporate it into a hack. Maybe even just a mod of firered/ruby, if nothing else.

(Now that I think about it, this is basically gungame, but with pokemon, haha.)
Good Grief No.
Who in their right minds would play that?

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
I was just wonderig if it's possible to edit the box backgrounds on the pc, I couldnt find it in unLZ but since its a image it should be at some offset :/

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post

Good Grief No.
Who in their right minds would play that?
I would?

Like I said, it's just a gimmick, but it would be fun to mess around with.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old August 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Just in case anyone was wondering, there's no (practically-achievable) limit to how many times a script can recurse in FR. That is to say, scripts can call scripts that call scripts that... all the way up to 65535 nesting levels (though of course, there is some noticeable lag associated with running 65535 call statements almost directly after each other).

Test script 1 (master A calls sub B calls sub B...):
Spoiler:
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

/*
 Vars:
    4000        Number of levels to recurse to
    4001        How deep are we right now?
    4002        How deep did we get?
*/

#org @start
lock
setvar 0x4000 0x0005
setvar 0x4001 0x0000
setvar 0x4002 0x0000
call @recursive
buffernumber 0x00 0x4002
buffernumber 0x01 0x4000
msgbox @sAllReturnsWorked 0x02
release
end

#org @recursive
addvar 0x4001 0x0001
addvar 0x4002 0x0001
comparevars 0x4001 0x4000
if 0x0 call @recursive
subvar 0x4001 0x0001
return

#org @sAllReturnsWorked
= Successfully returned to the\noutermost script.\pDepth: [buffer1] / [buffer2]

Test script 2 (master A calls sub B calls sub C calls sub B...):
Spoiler:
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

/*
 Vars:
    4000        Number of levels to recurse to
    4001        How deep are we right now?
    4002        How deep did we get?
*/

#org @start
lock
setvar 0x4000 0xFFFF
setvar 0x4001 0x0000
setvar 0x4002 0x0000
call @recursive1
buffernumber 0x00 0x4002
buffernumber 0x01 0x4000
msgbox @sAllReturnsWorked 0x02
release
end

#org @recursive1
addvar 0x4001 0x0001
addvar 0x4002 0x0001
if 0x0 call @recursive2
subvar 0x4001 0x0001
return

#org @recursive2
addvar 0x4001 0x0001
addvar 0x4002 0x0001
if 0x0 call @recursive1
subvar 0x4001 0x0001
return

#org @sAllReturnsWorked
= Successfully returned to the\noutermost script.\pDepth: [buffer1] / [buffer2]

So if you need to do something such as creating a recursive function to count how much of a certain item a player has, you should be able to do so without having to worry about hitting any kind of recursion limit. Again, though, efficiency is something to keep in mind.
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:43 AM
TheDarkShark
Metal Headed Hacker

Nature: Calm
Actually you don't need to worry about how many returns you may use in a recursive script. I wrote a standard script to check an item's amount (item number stored in some variable I'd need to look up...) which use goto to loop. When you use goto return will not jump to that branch, which means it will jump right back to the callstd command instead of the last recursion (I wonder if that's an actual word. We have a similar one in German for sure... ).
Nice find anyway.

Oh, and before I forget to write that:
@EdensElite: Of course it is possible, when you have the needed offsets. There are two possible reasons why you couldn't find them in unLZ. 1 - They aren't lz-compressed, which would mean you'd need to edit them via tile molester or a similar program, like NSE. 2 - They are strored as a tileset/tilemap-combo which you usually can't guess without the right palette. That would mean, you've already found them but don't know it (sounds weird, huh?).
A good way to find the ROM-offset of some graphics is to lookup the RAM-offset via Tile-/Map-Viewer in the VBA, put a break point on write on that offset (via VBA-SDL-H) and make the game load the graphics. With next-to-no-but-still-some ASM-knowledge you are then able to lookup the correct offset (plus you know if and how the graphic is compressed by checking the swi-function used). Also you could use logging to find the graphics, but I'm not 100 % sure if I can explain that right now...
I hop that helped a bit. I recommend to read a tutorial anyway

Last edited by TheDarkShark; August 13th, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
JPAN
pokemon rom researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post

Or a stone-like item that has that behaviour. In fact, it would be quite simple to implement such a feature. For simplicity, let's say we would get rid of evolution nº2, and that any pokemon is elligible from the original 251 (so we don't deal with the 21 empty slots.)
At 08042FC8 you would place a pointer to this function (with no +1, as this is a mov to PC and not a bx)
Code:
.thumb
bl getRandomHalfword
mov r1, #0xfb /*Celebi number*/
bl module
add r0, r0, #0x1 /*so that ? is not an option*/
ADD     SP, SP, #0x14 /*we exit the function for them*/
POP     {R3-R5}
MOV     R8, R3
MOV     R9, R4
MOV     R10, R5
POP     {R4-R7, pc}
.align 4
getRandomHalfword: ldr r0, rng_addr
   bx r0
rng_addr: 0x08044EC9
module: ldr r2, mod_addr
 bx r2
mod_addr: 0x081E4685
PS:untested, but looks bug-free from here
And with this, you have a random evolution, that always takes place when a level changes.
To use, place in the evolution type 0x02
You can always extend the Evolution table at 08042FC4 and use this with other number, if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering, there's no (practically-achievable) limit to how many times a script can recurse in FR. That is to say, scripts can call scripts that call scripts that... all the way up to 65535 nesting levels (though of course, there is some noticeable lag associated with running 65535 call statements almost directly after each other).

So if you need to do something such as creating a recursive function to count how much of a certain item a player has, you should be able to do so without having to worry about hitting any kind of recursion limit. Again, though, efficiency is something to keep in mind.
Actually, no. Script depth is locked at 0x0806988E, to 20 pointers stored.
The infinite recursion displayed by your example scripts is an illusuion caused by the fact that when the limit is reached, it jumps instead of going back recusively. As the return value will be the same for all called code (or almost all), it will return to the location it should correctly. And this value can't be changed (well, it could but would cause trouble) as the memory where it is located is surrounded by usefull data, and it is stored on the smallest RAM (0x0300XXXX).

Currently working on:
Battle Script Documentation
Another large project
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
DavidJCobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAN View Post
Actually, no. Script depth is locked at 0x0806988E, to 20 pointers stored.
The infinite recursion displayed by your example scripts is an illusuion caused by the fact that when the limit is reached, it jumps instead of going back recusively. As the return value will be the same for all called code (or almost all), it will return to the location it should correctly. And this value can't be changed (well, it could but would cause trouble) as the memory where it is located is surrounded by usefull data, and it is stored on the smallest RAM (0x0300XXXX).
So FireRed remembers the outermost caller, but after a certain point it treats "return" as "goto"? That is clever... And it explains why after a certain number of tests, the screen lag caused by the calls stopped increasing.

Thanks for sharing that info.
Old August 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
If anyone's interested to know, 251FEE is the start of the FireRed Pokedex order. Not exactly sure if it can be considered "Research and Development" but I thought I'd share anyway.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC

Last edited by Crimson5M; August 14th, 2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
MikeBricks
Beginning Trainer

You are wrong! It is 251FEE! You have to make there is a pointer for offsets you find! You are stupid for not doing so.

No you are wrong! It is 251FEE!
Reverse it which is EE1F2508. Then search that. You will get 2 results which mean I am right.

No you are wrong! It is 251FEE!
Reverse it which is EE1F2508. Then search that. You will get 2 results which mean I am right.

Last edited by MikeBricks; August 14th, 2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
MikeBricks is correct. His offset is the same one I have in my ini.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
MikeBricks is correct. His offset is the same one I have in my ini.
Yeah, I know, it was a mistake. I interpreted the first byte of two 0s to be the beginning, because I thought it went:
00 01 00 02
When it was actually:
01 00 02 00

Who's stalking now

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Cut the crap Gamer and Fireworks. This is the last straw before infractions and even temp bans are going to be put in place for you. A timeout from PC might do both of you good.
Old August 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Cut the crap Gamer2020 and Fireworks. This is the last straw before infractions and even temp bans are going to be put in place for you. A timeout from PC might do both of you good.
I actually did not do anything.

Here are some offsets I found in BPEE. I didn't give them proper names because I'm lazy...

copyright - 080A9179
fadescreen - 0816CF19
- 0816D12D
Gamefreak - 0816D191
Grassup and flygon flies - 0816D355
white screen - 0816D459
white screen - 0816D48D
white screen - 0816D4E5
Bike ride1 - 0816D651
Bike ride fadeout - 0816D7E8
white screen - 0816DBAD
Intro Battle start - 0816DC65
White screen - 0816DCFD
white screen - 0816DD29
White screen - 0816DDD9
lava fade in - 0816DE7D
lava fade in2 - 0816DED1
lava fade in3 - 0816DEED
GROUDON! - 0816DF2D
White screen - 0816E21
Kyorge! - 0816E359
White screen - 0816E889
White screen - 0816E955
White screen - 0816E999
Sky gets dark - 0816E9DD
still dark - 0816EAB9
Is it a bird? - 0816EB45
dark - 0816ED21
That bird did something scary - 0816EDB5
White screen - 0816EE91
White screen - 080A9179
Pokemon TitleScreen- 080AAB45
Emerald Vesion - 080AAC51
Press Start - 080AAD65
White screen - 080A9179
Fade in blue - 0802F8D9
still blue - 0802FAB1
blue... - 802FBA5
blue....... - 080300B1
New Game - 0803024D
Black screen - 0803027D
Black screen - 080307B1
Background loaded for birch- 080308B1
Birch appears - 08030928
Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting! - 080309CD
This is what is called a Pokemon. - 08030A2D
This world is widely... - 08030BCD
And You Are? - 08030C19
Spotlight went right - 08030C91
OMG he left! - 08030CD5
Is that me? - 08030D85
Nothing? - 08030DC9
Are you a boy? Or are you a girl? - 08030E09
Boy - Girl Multichoice - 08030E39
prepare - 08030FD5
All right. What's your name? - 08031015
press a - 08031041
fade to black - 08031091
still black - 080A9179
Your name? - 080E465D
black - 080A9179
black - 0803261D
I'm back! - 08031105
so it's?- 08031145
yes no - 08031189
spotlight to left - 08031221
I'm gone - 08031259
Ah, okay! - 0803133D
birch gone - 080313E5
All right are you ready? - 080314C5
I'm shrinking - 08031581
nothing? - 080315BD
I'm white? - 08031631
black - 080A9179
black - 080AB161
Overworld - 080AB1B1

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM
DavidJCobb

I'm about to start trying to reverse-engineer the COIN CASE ASM script in FireRed. My aim is to identify the functionality that makes the "COINS: XXXX COINS" message box work, so that I can call/clone it and be able to show two message boxes at once in script. (I can already imagine the possibilities...)

I've done a small amount of work, but before I go any further, I have three questions:
  • Uh... How do I know when I've found the ASM that actually creates a secondary message box?
  • My understanding of ASM is as basic as it gets, so I'll ask right now: has anyone already done what I'm trying to do? Because if someone's already done it, there's little point in me doing it. :\
  • I'll check this one on my own if it goes unanswered when I wake up later.
    The "showcoins" command shows a secondary box. And I'm pretty sure that the COIN CASE item code shows both a secondary box and a standard box, but my memory's a little hazy. When you use the COIN CASE from the Bag, does it show the same box that appears when "showcoins" is called?
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:08 AM
TheDarkShark
Metal Headed Hacker

Nature: Calm
1. I'm not really sure (I'm new to code hacking too, I've only built ASM functions to call them from a script...), but I think when data is copied from the graphic's ROM-offset. While debugging, watch registers r0-r2 carefully. They are used by the data-copying swi-functions. r0 is the source- and r1 the aim-offset.

2. I don't know if anyone has researched opening a second message box. I'm currently researching the Text-Box palette loading routine, just in case that sounds important. But as I'm using a German ROM, I can only be of little help. Not that I could be of much help if I used another ROM, lol.

3. I don't know, sorry.

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:52 PM
DavidJCobb

Turns out, the COIN CASE item script does not generate a secondary box as I recalled. However, through hours of brute-force near-blind-searching, I have managed to locate the assembly code used by the scripting engine. I've confirmed that my findings matched those presented here.

I have thus managed to locate the offsets of the ASM that runs when the scripting engine is processing the showcoins command. I anticipate that if I simply examine what data is passed to where, I can figure out the offset of the ASM that generates a secondary box. Manipulating that ASM should allow the script-based generation of a non-blocking second message box alongside the standard scriptable one, without either replacing or forcibly closing the other.

I feel the need to mention that I have barely any idea what I'm doing. I am so incompetent at ASM that I cannot even get code that I've written to compile, let alone actually work. So I'm going to share what I find, so that if I fail, I'll at least have saved other people some time.

All offsets are in hex.

Spoiler:
Part of the scripting engine. Calls 08069842.

Part of the scripting engine. Part of some code that reads the current command byte from the script and interprets it. If the current script byte is 0x00 (nop), this code calls 08069832. Otherwise, it calls 08069858.

Loads the current command byte into r1. Stores offset of the next byte of the script somewhere in the script engine's RAM (this is used later to grab the arguments). Examines some kind of table located at 0815F9B4 -- the table seems to map each command byte to the offset of its respective ASM code. For showcoins, this code loads 0x0806C259 into r1. Calls 081E3BAC.

081E3BAC
Calls whatever address has been stored in r1. For showcoins, that would be 0806C259.

0806C258
ASM for showcoins? Loads first and second argument (X and Y) into r5 and r4, respectively. Stores a pointer to the next command byte (the byte directly after the last argument) somewhere in the script engine's RAM (that RAM offset being held in r0). Calls 081119D4 (I haven't deciphered that yet). I haven't deciphered what this chunk of code does next, but it involves conditional (if r0 != 0x1) calls to 080D0554 and 080D072C, and then it goes back to 08069873, which processes the next command in the script.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ergo the ASM at 081119D4, and possibly also 080D0554 and 080D072C, are somehow responsible for loading a predetermined string ("[buffer] COINS", at 084162C4) into RAM (specifically, to offset 02021D18), drawing the frame of the secondary box, and drawing that string as the box's contents.

There are other things that I discovered in my blind search, though I do not know exactly where or how they fit into the showcoins functionality as a whole. They are:

I do not fully understand the assembly code at 08005ED4, but I do know that it loops through each character of the string after that string has been loaded into RAM and retrieves some value (stored in ROM) for each character. I suspect that it is obtaining the pixel widths that correspond to each charcode, though I do not know what it does with the numbers.

Multiple calls are made to 08002C48, a chunk of ASM code that seems to also be called on every frame of animation. Presumably it is called either to check for keypresses or to update what is on-screen, though I don't know why such checks would be run before the secondary box has even appeared. Perhaps it is done to prevent showcoins from blocking music and the playtime counter.

I suspect that assembly code at 08008FCC is what loads the message string into RAM, but I am not sure.

- - - - - - - - - -

EDIT1: ADDITIONAL FINDINGS

Spoiler:
Still don't know what exactly 081119D4, above, does. But I know that 080D0554 loads the number of coins from DMA-protected memory, and 080D072C initiates a huge volume of code that eventually produces the secondary box.

08008E78 is the offset of an ASM function that buffers a number. It appears to divide the input by a number (hardcoded 0xA) and process the remainder, thereby splitting the number into digits. Each digit is compared to 0x9; if lower or equal to, the charcode for it is found; if greater than, the charcode AC ("?") is returned. I have no idea which register holds the number to be buffered, however.

08003CE4 calls different blocks of code depending on what kind of message is to be displayed. It runs once when the message is to be displayed, and then I think it runs on every frame of animation thereafter. I'm not sure, however; VBA-SDL-H is... temperamental, shall we say. Moving on:

When a message box is created, its data -- a 12-byte structure that was partially documented here -- is written either into the stack or into some memory area very close to it. (The stack pointer itself is frequently shifted and unshifted throughout the process. Confusing!) When the first eight bytes of the data have been put together, code at 08003DE8 generates the last four bytes (based on the last four bytes of the preceding message box data) and then moves the new structure from the stack-or-near-the-stack area into the proper RAM area. Note that there is always one chunk of message box data already in RAM -- that of the standard message box, even if that box is inactive.

08008FCC appears to be used to load the string from ROM into RAM. r0 is the destination offset, r1 is the source; for showcoins, they are 0x02021D18 (message to be displayed) and 0x084162C4 ("[buffer] COINS"), respectively. Characters are transferred one at a time. Most charcodes are handled by a copying code at 080090A6, but codes FA through FF each have some kind of special handler, with FA's being at 08008FEC. I haven't investigated that further; it's not relevant to what I'm trying to find.

Here's a hierarchical chart of my findings:
Spoiler:
Code:
0x08069842
Load and proess script byte.

0x08069858
    Identify script command byte.

0x0806C258
        ASM for showcoins. Retrieves arguments.

0x081119D4
            Unknown. But if it sets r0 to 
            0x1, then showcoins doesn't do 
            anything.

0x080D0554
            Retrieve coins from DMA-protected 
            memory and store in r0.

0x080D072C
            Unknown. Starts generation of 
            secondary msgbox data.

0x0810FE50
                Gathers certain attributes for 
                box sizing? Uses bitmasks of some 
                sort.

0x08003CE4
                Calls different code blocks depending 
                on what kind of message box is being 
                shown. It seems as though every kind 
                of message box passes through here -- 
                even the Start Menu!

It also locates the first unused slot 
                for message box position data in RAM.

0x08003D96
                    Unknown. Runs once for most message 
                    boxes. Runs twice for the Start Menu 
                    (once mid-sound, once after). Does not 
                    run for signbox or msgbox.

0x08002B9C
                        Unknown.

0x08003DE8
                        Transfers the new message box position 
                        data from some space near the stack to 
                        the proper RAM offset.

0x0800445C
                    Unknown. Uses a software interrupt to 
                    copy a section of memory.

0x08003FA0
                    Unknown. Some of the code it calls 
                    runs a TON of weird and complicated 
                    comparisons, returning 0x0 or 0x1 
                    based on the result.

0x080D06D0
                    Triggers loading of the "[buffer] 
                    COINS" display.

0x08008E78
                        Buffers a number. r2 specifies the 
                        buffer to use?

0x08008FCC
                        Copies the string at r1 into the 
                        offset at r0, one character at a 
                        time. Calls special codes for each 
                        charcode between 0xFA and 0xFF, 
                        inclusive.

0x08005ED4
                        Unknown. But it seems important.

0x0806C287 (cont'd from 0x0806C258)
        ...Returns to the script engine 
        ASM to process the next command.

- - - - - - - - - -

EDIT2: ADDITIONAL FINDINGS

Spoiler:
08002C48 is not actually called on every frame; that was just the debugger going haywire. It's only called a few times, and I suspect that it -- or code called by it -- triggers drawing and erasing of message boxes.

0800445C is the code that uses a software interrupt to copy data. It copies a very large chunk of data; I think it loads the tiles for either a box's frame or its interior.

And finally, I have managed to just barely manipulate secondary box generation. Have a look at this screenshot:

You'll notice that there is a problem with the palettes... But look in the upper-left corner. That is the bottom corner of a secondary box! It even vanishes when another secondary box (or a multichoice) is displayed. However, I couldn't find the tiles for the secondary's text content in VBA's Tile Viewer... According to the Memory Viewer, however, a pointer to my text was successfully loaded to 0x02021D18, so it appears that the only issues left to solve are graphical ones.

Here's the ASM code I used, if anyone wants to have a look and see what they can find. You would use loadpointer to load a string into memory, and then call this with callasm. The code was modeled after that used by the game; essentially, it's a copy that loads the string you feed with loadpointer. (Apparently, it isn't a very accurate copy...)
Spoiler:
Code:
.align 2
.thumb

main:
push {r0-r7,lr}
mov r4, #0x0
mov r3, #0x0
lsl r4, r4, #0x18
lsl r3, r3, #0x18
mov r0, #0x80
lsr r0, r0, #0x11
add r4, r4, r0
add r3, r3, r0
lsr r4, r4, #0x18
lsr r3, r3, #0x18
mov r0, #0x08
str r0, [sp]
mov r0, #0x03
str r0, [sp, #0x4]
mov r0, #0x0F
str r0, [sp, #0x8]
mov r0, #0x20
str r0, [sp, #0xC]
add r0, sp, #0x10
mov r1, #0x0
mov r2, r4
push {r7}
ldr r7, DATA_ASSEMBLE
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
ldr r0, [sp, #0x18]
ldr r1, [sp, #0x14]
str r0, [sp, #0x18]
str r1, [sp, #0x1C]
ldr r4, UNKNOWN_DATA_1
add r0, sp, #0x18
strb r0, [r4]
ldrb r0, [r4]
mov r1, #0x0
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_1
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
ldrb r0, [r4]
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_2
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
ldrb r0, [r4]
ldr r5, UNKNOWN_DATA_2
mov r1, r5
mov r2, #0x0
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_4
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
ldrb r0, [r4]
mov r1, #0x0
mov r2, r5
mov r3, #0xD
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_5
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
ldrb r0, [r4]
ldr r2, SECONDARY_BOX_HEADER_STRING
mov r3, #0x0
str r3, [sp]
mov r1, #0xFF
str r1, [sp, #0x4]
str r3, [sp, #0x8]
mov r1, #0x2
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_3
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
mov r0, r6
bl COBB_SUBFUNCTION
add sp, #0x20
pop {r0-r7,pc}

COBB_SUBFUNCTION:
push {r4,lr}
add sp, #-0xC
ldr r0, STRING_RAM_OFFSET
ldr r1, SCRIPT_LOADED_POINTER_0
mov r3, #0x4
mov r4, r0
push {r7}
ldr r7, BODY_STRING_LOADER
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
mov r0, #0x0
mov r1, r4
mov r2, #0x0
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_6
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
ldr r1, UNKNOWN_DATA_1
ldrb r1, [r1]
mov r3, #0x40
sub r3, r0
lsl r3, r3, #0x18
lsr r3, r3, #0x18
mov r0, #0xC
str r0, [sp]
mov r0, #0x0
str r0, [sp, #0x4]
str r0, [sp, #0x8]
mov r0, r1
mov r1, #0x0
mov r2, r4
push {r7}
ldr r7, UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_3
bl CALL_GAME_ASM
pop {r7}
add sp, #0xC
pop {r4}
pop {r0}
bx r0

CALL_GAME_ASM:
bx r7

SECONDARY_BOX_HEADER_STRING:
.word 0x08417C2D

SCRIPT_LOADED_POINTER_0:
.word 0x03000F14

STRING_RAM_OFFSET:
.word 0x02021D18

DATA_ASSEMBLE:
.word 0x810FE51

UNKNOWN_DATA_1:
.word 0x02039A28

UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_1:
.word 0x0800445D

UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_2:
.word 0x08003FA1

UNKNOWN_DATA_2:
.word 0x0000021D

UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_3:
.word 0x08002C49

UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_4:
.word 0x0814FF2D

UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_5:
.word 0x0810F2E9

BODY_STRING_LOADER:
.word 0x08008FCD

UNKNOWN_FUNCTION_6:
.word 0x08005ED5

- - - - - - - - - -

EDIT3:

Removing the call to 0814FF2C prevents palette damage, but it also prevents any messageboxes from appearing. It would seem that I am not providing the correct values to it; I'll have to investigate it further.

Last edited by DavidJCobb; August 18th, 2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: More info. Haven't succeeded but I'll keep going.
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Mr.Pkmn
Someone making a pokemon hack

How can we fix the broken sun weather in FRLG? Heavy rain works fine but intense sunlight makes the screen black.
Also I wonder if the snowy weather could set auto-hail, like other weathers do...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links