Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old January 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
diegoisawesome
Not the Script Help Thread
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
In Fire Red and Leaf Green, whoever has the trainer class of Champion automatically takes your rival's name. But how could we change that? Where is that bit of code that tells the class CHAMPION (and RIVAL, as well) to take the nickname of the rival you chose and place it over the trainer's in-game name? Could we change that? Could we omit it? I have no prior ASM knowledge, so I won't be much help, but I'm deciding to pose this question in hopes of getting it answered.

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
I'm no expert, but for every Pokémon battle I've seen against the rival, his name is 'Terry', but in-game it is the player's defined name.
Maybe the key is Terry?

[/guess]
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
There are two "CHAMPION" classes, the later (0x5A) changes the the name to the rival, whereas the earlier (0x1E) does not.
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:24 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Here's the code for FR US v1.0:

Code:
080d8140 7840 ldrb r0, [r0, #0x1] @ load the trainer class byte into r0 080d8142 2851 cmp r0, #0x51 @ check if the class is rival 080d8144 d003 beq $080d814e @ if equal, load rival's name 080d8146 2859 cmp r0, #0x59 @ check if the class is rival (2) 080d8148 d001 beq $080d814e @ if equal, load rival's name 080d814a 28ff cmp r0, #0x5a @ check if the class is champion 080d814c d106 bne $080d815c @ if different, load name as usual
So, if you want to edit which class trigger the rival's name, all you need to do is to edit the bytes in red below (offset 0xD8142):

Code:
51 28 03 d0 59 28 01 d0 5a 28
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
diegoisawesome
Not the Script Help Thread
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Thanks for the responses! Seems like that was a simple enough question. This should really help hackers in the future! :D

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links