The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which starter would you pick?
Chamelica - Grass Starter 110 26.51%
Kittorch - Fire Starter 199 47.95%
Pireel - Water Starter 106 25.54%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
PokemonOI
Back To WORK!

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeky Chew View Post
Well I'd have to disagree. Even though it does do all of the above, I think that if you have the experience to script it all yourself it's much more worth while to do that. Apart from fully making it your own, your game will also be a lot more popular for not using the kit like nearly every other.
But he clearly doesnt have that skill, and how many games around here say they will script everything and then being "popular" lol doesnt happen and they turn around and resort to using the starterkit. I dont believe not using the starter kit makes your game more popular if anything people kinda give up on waiting for things to happen.
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cynic View Post
I notice the town you start in is very dusty with a lot of dead grass. Is that linked to the global warming plotline?
As a matter of fact, its a coincidence (as far as I'm aware). For the Global Warming plot line, I was browsing "realistic" (taking into account pokemon "mythology [legendaries] and society) reasons for wanting to cause global warming. The result is a truly warped and crazy leader of Team Solar with a rather bizarre and bloody past. The point is, don't expect it to be conventional. At all.

KYLE: If you don't show Muhammad, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

MACBETH: I will not yield
To kiss the ground before young Malcom's feet
And to be baited with the rabble's curse
Though Birnam Wood be come to Dunsinane
And thou opposed, being of no woman born
Yet I will try the last. Before my body
I throw my warlike shield. Lay on, Macduff
And damned be he that first cries, "Hold, enough!"

Old February 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonOI View Post
But he clearly doesnt have that skill, and how many games around here say they will script everything and then being "popular" lol doesnt happen and they turn around and resort to using the starterkit. I dont believe not using the starter kit makes your game more popular if anything people kinda give up on waiting for things to happen.
Well, I take offense to that, even if I'm not the mapper of our game, I am our leader, and I don't like it when people undermine the abilities of my staff.

Look, I don't know who you are, but you have no idea what skills Aquakip doesn't have, just because he hasn't used them yet. And don't say that people with good games always use the starter kit. That's blasphemy. What did people do before the starter kit? Seriously. We're not using the starter kit, but people still seem to be attracted to our game.

I wonder how that works.

Again, I'm sorry if I sound pushy, but I don't want you to diss my workers or my game.

Thanks!
~starrmyt

founder of

Old February 13th, 2010, 02:47 PM
PokemonOI
Back To WORK!

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrmyt View Post
Well, I take offense to that, even if I'm not the mapper of our game, I am our leader, and I don't like it when people undermine the abilities of my staff.

Look, I don't know who you are, but you have no idea what skills Aquakip doesn't have, just because he hasn't used them yet. And don't say that people with good games always use the starter kit. That's blasphemy. What did people do before the starter kit? Seriously. We're not using the starter kit, but people still seem to be attracted to our game.

I wonder how that works.

Again, I'm sorry if I sound pushy, but I don't want you to diss my workers or my game.

Thanks!
~starrmyt
WTF!? I didnt diss anyone, but now Im gonna diss your reading skills, aquakip said he was looking for a scripter lol can you not read? "...you have no idea what skills aquakip doesnt have.." really he was the one that said he NEEDED a scripter and everything else was handled, read before you test me again. Seems like you read all the posts but what aquakip said.

Also when the hell did I say people with good games use the starterkit lol now your hallucinating and putting words in my mouth. show me where I said that lmao

"I dont want you to diss my workers or my game" what the hell I was trying to help but who cares, Idk why I tried since you can only read things that were never said....
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

Up, when people start using AIM lingo in their conversations, bad things start to happen...

Listen, don't start an all out brawl. Cause I have a sense that that's where this is going. Pokemon01, I'm sorry you were so offended by Starrmyt's comment. I think all Starrmyt is trying to say is that Aquakip happens to be a very talented game-maker, and they (Aquakip and Evan) would both prefer to do the game without the starter kit, in order to say "You know, we were able to make all this from scratch." Its taking pride in one's work and being confident in one's abilities. Thank you for your concern, though. Its nice to know we've gotten through to you so that your concerned that we're not using the starter pack.

I think that argument is settled, then? Thanks for caring about our game!

KYLE: If you don't show Muhammad, then you've made a distinction what is okay to poke fun at, and what isn't. Either it's all okay, or none of it is.

Nothing beside remains.

Old February 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

@PokemonOI, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth; the reason we need a scriptor is that we don't want to have the duties of mapping+spriting+scripting+programming all on the shoulders of one person; not because he lacks the skill.

With that said, I apologize for not reading your entire post, I was just placed on the defensive when you said that he clearly lacked the skill. Hopefully you understand this.

founder of

Last edited by Starrmyt; February 13th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
That's understandable.

Try not to lash out though.
I know it's almost hurtful to read bad comments about a game your putting energy into but everyone can have their own opinion.

Calm down kids.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
aquakip
You jealous, betch

Nature: Naive
WOW! A lot can happen in 2 hours! Lemme see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Dragon View Post
That's understandable.

Try not to lash out though.
I know it's almost hurtful to read bad comments about a game your putting energy into but everyone can have their own opinion.

Calm down kids.
Was that a bad comment? lol I just thought it was a thoughtful arguement that kind of got out of hands.

PokemonOI@ thanks for thinking so kindly of the game. I just think some things need to be settled, the right way:

I clearly stated in that post that I didn't want all of the burden of spriting, mapping AND scripting. So that was why I was searching for a scripter, not because I don't have the ability to scipt. I see where that can mislead someone to thinking that, but, sadly, that is not the case here.

I am a beginner at scripting, yes, but I am fairly good at it. I can adapt to things very fast.

But, finally, I don't think I want to use Poccil's starter kit. I see where you are coming from in how it can help us and all, but as a team, we have decided against it, seeing how it may benefit us in teh long-run from not using it. Thanks for posting in my thread. Do you like anything about the game thus far?

The Cynic@ lol. I don't really like the inside of Warren's Gym. But, you might. I'm thinking of posting screenshots in a couple of days, possibly two or three. :D

And no, I never really thought of how Oriole Town looked like it had dead grass. That's not the case, it's just that it's sandy and worn down from all of the walking, I guess. It wasn't intentional, just how I mapped it.

Peeky Chew@ I'm so sorry for doing that! I didn't mean to! I bet your progress bars are gonna turn out just as great! Maybe even better! But thanks for the comment! :3

-------

Ok. Now that we're done with the commenting, and hopefully straightening out things, let's move on to a slight update.

We have begun our Pokemon art. I don't know if Kwsmithjr really wants a spot as our artist. If I don't hear from him within a day or two, I'm going to expect that he doesn't want to follow through on his role of artist.

Not really anything important...just news...I guess.

~Aqua

Co-Founder & Artist of

Old February 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquakip View Post
Peeky Chew@ I'm so sorry for doing that! I didn't mean to! I bet your progress bars are gonna turn out just as great! Maybe even better! But thanks for the comment! :3
~Aqua
It's alright, I was just putting then in because someone else did anyway. I've finished them now if you want to compare
This is very fastly becoming my favourite game in the drawing board, I really think you should move it to the showcase.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Quote:
This is very fastly becoming my favourite game in the drawing board, I really think you should move it to the showcase
:D I like the compliment! :D I also believe that Aquakip should move this to the showcase, but I don't know if he has the proper authority to move it.

Either way, I'm going to update soon with a bunch of art silhouettes of the fakemon we have. ;D

EDIT:

Art silhouettes:

These will be revealed one by one....at a later date :3

founder of

Old February 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Top left: Fire
Bottom left: Grass
Top right: Water
Bottom right: Bird
Center: Normal

Those are my guesses.

Demo Beta out Now!

Old February 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Heinze
~ Pixel Artist

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Heinze
I like the graphics, and the plot, but the game system is strange, if you change it a little, i bet it will be better
well...

I think that Peeky chew guesses are right =/

Old February 20th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Mrchewy
nom nom nom

Good looking game! Certainly liking the production value.

Quote:
Well I'd have to disagree. Even though it does do all of the above, I think that if you have the experience to script it all yourself it's much more worth while to do that. Apart from fully making it your own, your game will also be a lot more popular for not using the kit like nearly every other.
One thing I would say, though, is that if you have serious plans to finish this game, then I disagree with Peeky Chew in thinking you really should consider switching to the Starter Kit. At first it might not seem too hard scripting most of the systems yourself, but just wait until you start dabbling into enemy AI, movesets, stats... I just think there's absolutely no point reinventing the wheel here. Poccil's SK isn't perfect - despite is extreme complexity, it's pretty bare bones to start off with - but it easy to customize and will save you hundreds of hours of work.
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
I agree with peeky chew, Im remember the good old days, where no starter kits were used.
everyone just made their own custom battle systems and stuff.
Finding out creative ways of making your own systems is half the fun.
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Quote:
Top left: Fire
Bottom left: Grass
Top right: Water
Bottom right: Bird
Center: Normal

Those are my guesses.

You've gotten 3 of them. :D

I'll reveal one soon.

founder of

Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Bards Sword
La Resistance!

And now, its time for a....

PLOT UDATE!

Yes, periodically, as the release date grows closer, we'll slip bits and pieces of the plot. So, here is your update on Team Solar, in particular, its head:

General Julian Ronald Dag0n
No, its not a slur, its an inside joke, and Dag0n is a last name, sheesh.

Not much is known about Julian. He was born in Whimbrel Town, and at the age of 18, received a pokemon from Professor Palm. Julian was always known to be an avid pokemon hunter and collector. He gained world renown when he climbed to the peak of Mt. Sanguit in an attempt to capture the legendary pokemon Rayquazza, who was said t live at the peak. Although Julian failed, he entered the public imagination as a brilliant trainer. Soon after Julian's attempt, Rayquazza disappeared. Some speculated that the encounter with Julian scared him off, but the majority claimed Julian's attempt was simply a coincidence, and Rayquazza had fled because it could no longer stand the gasses polluting the ozone. No matter what the reason, Rayquazza was gone and could not be found.

Rayquazza's disappearance apparently struck Julian hard. The day the news hit the press, Julian enrolled in the Pokemon League challenge, eventually making it all the way to Champion. He soon used his new found influence to become the guest speaker at many events, and began preaching his favorite topic: global warming. He preached that the end of the world was inevitable, and that the only thing that would save the world was to build a human colony on the moon. Many found him delusional, and he began to lose favor, eventually being kicked out the spotlight entirely when he lost his position as League Champion. Julian then retired to obscurity. He bought an apartment in Raven City, and occasionally still gives lectures on the necessity of a moon colony, if anyone is willing to listen.

What the Average Citizen Doesn't Know:
After losing his Championship, Julian founded Team Solar. For all outward appearances, the group appears to be attacking the environment as a way to hasten the world's destruction. The group claims that since humanity has shown itself to be so unfit rulers of the world, it is best to speed up climate change and destroy everyone. But such a shallow reason is not really what Julian intends. No, he hopes that by speeding up global warming, everyone will realize that Julian was right about a moon colony. He hopes to be vindicated, and become a savior of humanity.

Nothing beside remains.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Well, in any case, here's the moment you've all been waiting for....

KITTORCH!

founder of

Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
The Cynic
♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bards Sword View Post
And now, its time for a....

PLOT UDATE!

Yes, periodically, as the release date grows closer, we'll slip bits and pieces of the plot. So, here is your update on Team Solar, in particular, its head:

General Julian Ronald Dag0n
No, its not a slur, its an inside joke, and Dag0n is a last name, sheesh.

Not much is known about Julian. He was born in Whimbrel Town, and at the age of 18, received a pokemon from Professor Palm. Julian was always known to be an avid pokemon hunter and collector. He gained world renown when he climbed to the peak of Mt. Sanguit in an attempt to capture the legendary pokemon Rayquazza, who was said t live at the peak. Although Julian failed, he entered the public imagination as a brilliant trainer. Soon after Julian's attempt, Rayquazza disappeared. Some speculated that the encounter with Julian scared him off, but the majority claimed Julian's attempt was simply a coincidence, and Rayquazza had fled because it could no longer stand the gasses polluting the ozone. No matter what the reason, Rayquazza was gone and could not be found.

Rayquazza's disappearance apparently struck Julian hard. The day the news hit the press, Julian enrolled in the Pokemon League challenge, eventually making it all the way to Champion. He soon used his new found influence to become the guest speaker at many events, and began preaching his favorite topic: global warming. He preached that the end of the world was inevitable, and that the only thing that would save the world was to build a human colony on the moon. Many found him delusional, and he began to lose favor, eventually being kicked out the spotlight entirely when he lost his position as League Champion. Julian then retired to obscurity. He bought an apartment in Raven City, and occasionally still gives lectures on the necessity of a moon colony, if anyone is willing to listen.

What the Average Citizen Doesn't Know:
After losing his Championship, Julian founded Team Solar. For all outward appearances, the group appears to be attacking the environment as a way to hasten the world's destruction. The group claims that since humanity has shown itself to be so unfit rulers of the world, it is best to speed up climate change and destroy everyone. But such a shallow reason is not really what Julian intends. No, he hopes that by speeding up global warming, everyone will realize that Julian was right about a moon colony. He hopes to be vindicated, and become a savior of humanity.
Nice! Sound like there may be a trip to the moon at some point... :cer_boogie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrmyt View Post
Well, in any case, here's the moment you've all been waiting for....

KITTORCH!
Looks good! Trying to decide between starting with it, or Pireel. Keep it up!

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Karel_Kazuki
Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp

Nature: Quiet
not bad.....not bad at all...the only real game ive played here was raptor...this seems twice as good...watch out for my game!

I am a university student, currently studying C# and looking for any practice pertaining to building my skills.I'm also a concept designer and storyline designer.

contact me here or at [email protected].

Screw Banners.I support all that is made.But Join these Forums!

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Pokemon_...ex.php?act=idx
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
These game's graphics look good!

Glad to see that there is fakemon in this project.

I wish you good luck with the project
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

YAY! More posts! I love posts....

Anyway, I think its time we present our region mascot, Ottum:

I love this creature. :D Normal Typed.

founder of

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM
kingjay99
you cant get better then me

it looks too happy...
game looks cool
Boom de ada

cheack out my game
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=208909
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

AAAAAaaaaaaaaand Chamelica! :D

founder of

Old February 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Peeky Chew
Master of Palettes

Kittorch and Ottom are really good!
Chamelica I like too, but just not as much. It has potential though.
So those are the three I got right I guess, I wonder what the other two types are?

Demo Beta out Now!

Old February 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Starrmyt
Kittorch

Alright, here comes the first of the ones which you were wrong about:

This was the first of the sugis that I actually finished, so it should end up being the least in quality.

This one had a name, but it wasn't good. So we dropped it.

PEEKY's guess: Water
Actual type: Bug

Will evolve to be Bug/Fighting, i believe.

founder of

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here